Type keyword(s) to search

Startalk - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Feel free to suggest a subtitle for this topic and PM your forum mod or myself. Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

(edited)

Thought the last episode dealing with the science of "Interstellar" with Christopher Nolan was illuminating.  I always wonder if there is someone with a science background says "Whoa" to some of the concepts of science fiction movies.

Why oh why does NatGeo have a airtime of this show at 11pm?  There's so much other junk on NatGeo that they could have swapped out for this show.

Edited by nottopbravo
  • Love 1

I loved the episode with George Takei and StarTrek.  So much goodness in that episode.  

Growing up as a cold war baby boomer, the thing that I found most amazing about StarTrek was that there was a Russian member of the crew.  It meant there would be peace in the future.  That was the one point they didn't discuss in the show.

(edited)

Growing up as a cold war baby boomer, the thing that I found most amazing about StarTrek was that there was a Russian member of the crew.  It meant there would be peace in the future.  That was the one point they didn't discuss in the show.

Chekov wasn't in the first season, however.  He was added to appeal to the "youth market" (think Beatles) and only after the Soviet Union protested that they had all other nationalities except Russian on the Enterprise.

I hope this week was a blip for the show, as I didn't find the episode interesting.  There is so much relationship talk on other shows, I feel it didn't belong on Startalk.

Edited by nottopbravo

Chekov wasn't in the first season, however.  He was added to appeal to the "youth market" (think Beatles) and only after the Soviet Union protested that they had all other nationalities except Russian on the Enterprise.

I hope this week was a blip for the show, as I didn't find the episode interesting.  There is so much relationship talk on other shows, I feel it didn't belong on Startalk.

Thanks for history behind Chekov.  I wasn't aware of that.   This week was meh for me except for Bill Nye.  Love that man.

After watching the second episode I couldn't wait to watch third. I could sit and listen to Neil DeGrasse Tyson talk about astronomy all day...love and sexuality, not so much. Luckily, I DVR'd it, so I was able to fast forward to see if they eventually got into some "star talk". After seeing there wasn't any, I quickly deleted it and watched something else. If they pull that crap again I'll delete the series. Maybe I'm overreacting but on a show called "StarTalk" with my favorite astrophysicist, I would hope they would actually have some star talk.

Considering that this show is an outgrowth of his podcast of the same title, I think more should have been done to promote it the same way, as a show covering space, science and popular culture.  The name "Star Talk" has two meanings.  One reason it's airing on NatGeo and not the Science Channel, perhaps?

That said, I did get one big take away from his interview with Dan Savage about the man who had a sex change into a woman and began questioning his/her own free will because her reactions as a woman were so different than when she was a man.  Interestingly enough I questioned my own free will after I went through menopause.  Experiencing such a decline in estrogen made me look back on my life and realize how many of my choices were heavily influenced by my hormones.

• Love 2

Considering that this show is an outgrowth of his podcast of the same title, I think more should have been done to promote it the same way, as a show covering space, science and popular culture. The name "Star Talk" has two meanings. One reason it's airing on NatGeo and not the Science Channel, perhaps?

That explains alot. I didn't even know he had a podcast. Kind of disappointing for me, I was hoping it would be a weekly show about astrophysics. Probably won't be watching it anymore. Thanks for the explanation.

Hadn't realized it started yet!  I thought I had set up a subscription on my tivo -- will have to look at that.

Listen to every podcast and love it.  Hope the tv show is as good!

I really liked this week's ep, with Chris Hadfield (Canadian astronaut known for his music video of "Space Oddity" that he filmed on the ISS. The on set guests hat Neil had were equally interesting; even the comedian was entertaining! But the other guest, Michael Massimino, was terrific. He was an astronaut who worked with the Hubble, and he is really funny.

• Love 1