Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Nun Better

Toi and Rouvaun head to the Dominican Republic for their honeymoon; Kirk and Laura continue to reel from the miscarriage; Sam and Laura have a heart-to-heart discussion about their sex life; Erik and Nadine visit his mother at her convent.

It's been two days, so I figured it'd be okay to start the topic for this episode since no one else did.  Sorry if I stepped on any toes in doing so!

I thought this was probably one of the most interesting episodes of this season.  Certainly it was mostly because of Erik's background story with his Sister Mother (sorry, I couldn't help myself).  Wow, it's no wonder this guy is so starved for attention, love, and a sense of family.  Did his mother have anything at all to do with his upbringing? I can't imagine she did much what with being an alcoholic.  I must admit that I am somewhat hesitant to say he was actually "abandoned" because I believe he said that she joined the convent when he was 19-years-old.  At 19, you're not really a kid anymore and should be able to start living on your own and taking on adult responsibilities for yourself.  However, given her background, I can see why he still actually felt abandoned nonetheless.  I might go to hell for saying this, but she definitely seems a few prayer beads short of a Rosary.

It's sad that his desperate need for love and a family led him to settle on that neurotic Nadine because I so want him to run in the other direction.  Alas, he would probably feel a second divorce is out of the question and, well, they are now with child.  But seriously... if the silent dinner wasn't incredibly awkward enough, did the selfish bitch really need to employ her stupid 3,972 chews per mouthful of food at that point, thereby making them literally the last people at dinner?  And when he mimes to her to hurry up, she just dorkily grins and pats her belly.  Ugh.  At least she seems somewhat understanding of his rough childhood.

Then again, the pessimistic and jaded side of me fully believes she couldn't stand that trip being all about Erik and that's why she suddenly had a "breakdown" about her late mother and what it feels like to bring a daughter into the world.  Any other woman I'd probably say it's hormones and just random timing, but seeing how self-centered she is, nope.  She couldn't stand not having the full attention and spotlight on her and it being all about Erik, Erik, Erik for once.  Jerk.

Toi and Rouvaun have really, really grown on me since the beginning.  They truly seem to love and appreciate one another and their honeymoon looked wonderful.  As of right now, I really hope they make it until they are well into their golden years.

Not much to say about Kirk and Laura except that he seems to be really supportive through the aftermath of the miscarriage.  I'm glad they are finding things to occupy their time and thoughts, but I have to admit that I'm shocked he didn't act like a total immature frat boy about the naked art class.  I wonder if she gets pregnant again really quickly judging from next week's previews.

Sam and Laura... tick tock.  The prenup will come in handy for Sam.

• Love 4

It's been two days, so I figured it'd be okay to start the topic for this episode since no one else did.  Sorry if I stepped on any toes in doing so!

I thought this was probably one of the most interesting episodes of this season.  Certainly it was mostly because of Erik's background story with his Sister Mother (sorry, I couldn't help myself).  Wow, it's no wonder this guy is so starved for attention, love, and a sense of family.  Did his mother have anything at all to do with his upbringing? I can't imagine she did much what with being an alcoholic.  I must admit that I am somewhat hesitant to say he was actually "abandoned" because I believe he said that she joined the convent when he was 19-years-old.  At 19, you're not really a kid anymore and should be able to start living on your own and taking on adult responsibilities for yourself.  However, given her background, I can see why he still actually felt abandoned nonetheless.  I might go to hell for saying this, but she definitely seems a few prayer beads short of a Rosary.

It's sad that his desperate need for love and a family led him to settle on that neurotic Nadine because I so want him to run in the other direction.  Alas, he would probably feel a second divorce is out of the question and, well, they are now with child.  But seriously... if the silent dinner wasn't incredibly awkward enough, did the selfish bitch really need to employ her stupid 3,972 chews per mouthful of food at that point, thereby making them literally the last people at dinner?  And when he mimes to her to hurry up, she just dorkily grins and pats her belly.  Ugh.  At least she seems somewhat understanding of his rough childhood.

Then again, the pessimistic and jaded side of me fully believes she couldn't stand that trip being all about Erik and that's why she suddenly had a "breakdown" about her late mother and what it feels like to bring a daughter into the world.  Any other woman I'd probably say it's hormones and just random timing, but seeing how self-centered she is, nope.  She couldn't stand not having the full attention and spotlight on her and it being all about Erik, Erik, Erik for once.  Jerk.

Toi and Rouvaun have really, really grown on me since the beginning.  They truly seem to love and appreciate one another and their honeymoon looked wonderful.  As of right now, I really hope they make it until they are well into their golden years.

Not much to say about Kirk and Laura except that he seems to be really supportive through the aftermath of the miscarriage.  I'm glad they are finding things to occupy their time and thoughts, but I have to admit that I'm shocked he didn't act like a total immature frat boy about the naked art class.  I wonder if she gets pregnant again really quickly judging from next week's previews.

Sam and Laura... tick tock.  The prenup will come in handy for Sam.

Yes, it seems as if Laura is already pregnant based on their confessionals.  She has a little baby bump.  And yes, he has grown up a lot in a short period of time.

They seem like the baby storyline will be their arc for the season. They seem pretty normal. Not much to say.

Sam and Laura make me uncomfortable.  Something is not right about either of them separately or together.  For young people, they seem so dark and overly pensive about their relationship instead of just going with the flow like 20 somethings would do. For all we know, Sam could be cheating on Laura again, hence the lack of sex, passion. 

Toi and Rauvaughn have learned from their past and seem like an example of a healthy relationship. They should be just fine.

Erik and Nadine, sigh...His wife is thoughtless and self-absorbed. (And looks waaay better with makeup, by the way.) He won't divorce her though because he wants to belong to something so badly.  His mother definitely suffers from brain damage from alcohol use. She ran to that convent to avoid the big scary world as a sober person.  She is a scared child in a old lady's body. She was never and will never be ready to me a maternal figure.  Hope he truly received closure like he said.

• Love 2

I feel badly for Erik. He probably had a horrible childhood and his mother seems like a handful even as a sober nun. I do think he will be a wonderful parent

Nadine...next time you are crying to the camera can you hold it a little bit farther way from your face...thanks. I agree with PP she is sooo self absorbed and I think she is a narcissist

Toi and Rauvaughn... LOVE. Fav couple for sure I love their scenes, they seem so happy and in love and ugh I wish them all the best. You can tell they truly truly love and care for each other. When he was talking about how when they kiss the world stops I wanted to cry. And how he would stay with her when she was blind. <3. I have no doubts they will make it, same with Kirk and Laura ( yes he is a manchild but they are growing on me)

Sam And Laura. News flash: Relationships should NOT be this hard. if you had to ' fight' to be together and have 'been through so much' ( which I read as infidelity)...its a sign you need to break up. I was in a few relationships like this. When its right its not hard. You don't have to fight. You are just together and a team. ( Like Toi and Rauvaughn, Kirk and Laura)

Nothing will be perfect and every couple argues but for real- hang it up. 

I give them a year or two tops. and LOL at Laura chugging all the vodka. I swear this relationship reminds me so much of me and my Ex its freaky ( I was the vodka chugger LOL, my ex was the rich cheating one). Red flags everywhere

• Love 2

I thought Erik actually said he was 17 when his mom joined the convent, not 19.  17 is still pretty close to being an adult, but he seems to have had a rough childhood with a mostly absent mother either way, so I feel for him.

I'm a slow eater so I kind of sympathized with Nadine a little bit during the silent lunch.  THAT SAID, I overchew my food because I had a scary choking incident as a child and it's something reflexive that I really can't help.  None of this aids-in-digestion nonsense.  If everyone else has cleared the room and your companions are silently waiting on your ass to finish eating, maybe hurry it up a bit instead of grinning like a dope.  I always feel terrible when I'm the last one still eating.

I really enjoy Kirk/Laura and Toi/Rouvaun so much more than I initially expected to.  Both couples seem to genuinely care for each other.  I hope they make it.

Sam and Laura on the other hand... I just don't buy it.  They read more like two besties hanging out than a married couple. And that has nothing to do with their sexuality, I know a bunch of awesome lesbian couples and these two just... don't convince me.  They seem like the perfect example of a college relationship that should have been left in college.  It's not working out in real life.

Edited by trashjunkie
  • Love 1

Man, I really feel for Erik, what a sad story. I agree with whomever said that his Sister Mother took up orders because she didn't want to face the world as a sober person. Addicts are incredibly selfish and the only focus is to acquire whatever it is they are feening for (alcohol, drugs, etc), no matter the casualties, including their own children. It's a shame he married such a self absorbed and stuck up  bitch, though I will give credit where credit is due; she seemed very empathetic to him. And admittedly, I felt for her a little when she was crying about her mother. I lost mine a few years ago, and Mother's Day is tough, as is being pregnant for the first time and not having your mom to call or talk to. Hopefully she didn't make it "all about her" while they were together on the day.

Okay, I'll say it , I friggin love Toi and Ravaughn. These are two people who clearly have learned from their previous marriages and are applying the lessons to their marriage. I truly believe they are in it for the long run. And Toi is so naturally beautiful. Her makeup palate could stand to be updated, but I wouldn't expect a dramatic change like that from a woman over 40. She pulls it off well enough, and It's not like she's wearing turquoise eyeshadow and frosted lipstick LOL.

Laura and Kirk are another couple that grew on me. A miscarriage is a terrible thing to go through, and it's nice that they are so supportive and kept themselves busy to keep their mind off of it. I hope she gets pregnant quickly, and judging by the previews, it looks like she does :-)

Sam and Laura…ugh, I don't know what to say about these two. Whomever said that this was a college fling that went WAAAAY past its expiration date is spot on. They barely seem to like each other. And maybe I missed this from the last episode, but why AREN'T they living in LA? One of the perks about being a freelancer is that you can work from ANYWHERE, and according to Laura, she's contributed mostly to blogs and magazines, so wouldn't Laura be able to do just that from LA too? Methinks she probably had some Carrie Bradshaw-type fantasy of freelance writing while flitting around Manhattan in designer shoes and having a rich partner (looking at you, Sam). I hope to God these two don't procreate and they split as civilly as possible. It just isn't a healthy relationship.

• Love 1

I thought Erik's mom was still very self-absorbed as she sat there talking about how hard it was for HER to leave him. What about saying, "son, I am sorry that I hurt you by leaving" ?  Even more so because his father had died and he didn't get along with her second husband. I am sure she was just a selfish addict as he grew up and now she gets to feel good about herself by hiding in a convent. She pisses me off.

I find it kind of sad and interesting that Nadine has lost her mother, and Erik has lost his father, even though they are both fairly young. Maybe some unconscious forces at play there in their attraction to each other - Nadine does seem self-absorbed- and guess what - so was Erik's mom.

• Love 3

There's something about Eric being 17 when his mom joined the convent that really pissed me off, in some way even more than if he'd been much younger. It sounds like he had a rough childhood and his mom was finally getting sober and then she just left. He was 17! She couldn't have waited 1 more year? Gotten him through high school and settled into college before she joined. It's like she couldn't even give her son 1 year. 1 year that might have been awful for her, but may have made a difference to Erik feeling loved and supported. It honestly pisses me off more than if Erik had been 10 or 11. It was 1 year and she couldn't even do that for him. It makes me doubt whether Erik has ever had anyone put him first. I think that's the pattern he's repeating. Nadine seems nice enough, but just like his mom, her needs will always come first.

• Love 6
(edited)

I just realized that my box didn't record this episode. I watched the one after and thought I missed something, but remember seeing it as set to record. Hate technology sometimes :) 

Edited by KarmaG

I just realized that my box didn't record this episode. I watched the one after and thought I missed something, but remember seeing it as set to record. Hate technology sometimes :)

Hey, the same must have happened to me! Saw the previews but never saw the episode. I wonder what happened?

Hey, the same must have happened to me! Saw the previews but never saw the episode. I wonder what happened?

At least in my area, it's being repeated this morning at 10am. They're doing a marathon of the show up to the current episode.

Ok,I finally got to watch this episode and I really felt sorry for Erik.  His mom seems so socially awkward.  I wonder if she has some brain damage from the alcohol? Her speech pattern seemed strange. 

• Love 2

I just finished watching it a few minutes ago. Nadine's chewing a million times is bad enough at home but dang, when you're visiting some place that is NOT the time to worry about it. Eat like a normal person when out in public or visiting someone, leave your neurosis at home.