Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: From Within

Episode Synopsis:

As the town of Salem continues to try and cope with the mounting plague, suspicions and fear grip the townspeople, and one of Mary’s recent adversaries takes steps to place himself in a position of power among the citizenry, leading Mary to rally her allies and resort to making a risky play in her bid to maintain control of the town. Meanwhile, Anne and Cotton find they share some common ground, an earlier act of mercy may come back to haunt Mary, tensions of a less-than-Puritan nature continue to smolder between Mary and Dr. Wainwright, John arrives back in Salem and makes his first move in the epic task that lies before him, and Mary and Tituba make a troubling discovery.

I keep forgetting this show had come back.

Mary needs all the allies she can get. She's got John and all his new found Indian knowledge of witch hunting after her. Mercy, her BFF, and Dad. And now the new magistrate all after her too.

And I guess Lucy Lawless had something to do with that poor little girl getting pulled into well and coming back as that girl from 'The Ring' who then puked all the nasty water into

Mary's bath water.

I can't wait to see what happens when Cotton and Anne get to town. And I'm guessing Anne finds being a witch has some perks, I think the attempted rapist might not agree though.

I'm still confused about Marys son and who was taking care of him in the woods and WHAT this kid is?

I guess Lucy Lawless had something to do with that poor little girl getting pulled into well and coming back as that girl from 'The Ring' who then puked all the nasty water into

Mary's bath water.

I guess Lucy loves herself a overly complex plan. And inappropriate making out. Vomit kissing Mary and drawing blood, ew.

I don't even know what to say about the doctor. He's got a bit of dark side going on there. Mary seems to like it, though.

That was a really good scene with Mary telling her son a bedtime story. It's really going to devastate her if he turns on her or is taken away again. He's the only thing she loves anymore.

Edited by kariyaki
  • Love 1

I wonder if Michael Mulheren was happy that he actually got dialogue again, since Mary needed him "de-frogged" for dinner.  I think he almost had more lines here, then he did for the majority of last season (not including the pilot.)

Man, who wasn't screwing over Mary, tonight?  You had Alden and his Invisible to Witches cloak, kidnapping and torturing her underlings.  You had Burnt Mercy getting ready to kill poor Issac (no!)  You had Hawthorne going after her politically.  And, then when all that wasn't bad enough, her bath time is ruined due to Lucy Lawless force kissing her, thanks to puke water (I really can't believe I just typed that.)  This was not Mary's night.

Anne launching the rapist into the air was priceless.  I really hope we get more Anne/Cotton scenes.  I actually really dig the two of them.  I enjoyed the brief moment over them bonding over their deceased dad problems.

Dr. Stuart Townsend knows what the ladies like.  Which is, apparently, choking?  Hey, on this show, that is far from the craziest thing to happen.

I do like that Hawthorne works as an antagonist, because his hatred for Mary doesn't seem like it's because he thinks she is a witch or anything, but purely because he's a big old "Women should know their place!" sexist.

• Love 1

This show is so bonkers, and yet at least once per episode there's a scene that keeps me coming back for more. Last week it was Lucy Lawless and Anne Hale talking to each other in the bath/dark forest, this week it was Anne launching her attacker into the air - so high up she didn't even see him come down again. Wow.

I'm liking the team-up of Cotton/Anne. I hope the show itself avoids shipping them, because their friendship and reliance on each other is pretty cute. Already Anne is testing the waters of whether or not she can trust him with her secret.

Guest appearance from Samara from The Ring, what with the little girl lurching around town soaking wet.

Can't quite pin down the new doctor yet, though already his chemistry with Mary seems to be a lot more intense than what she had with John Alden. That said, every time I see the actor, I'm left thinking: "this guy was almost Aragorn."  

I did notice one glitch: there was an image of Mary Sibley's reflection, and yet I thought all her reflections were that of a nasty old hag?

I try to go easy on female characters, as they're always given a LOT more grief than the male ones - but oy, when is Mercy Lewis going to get killed off? She's so out there it feels like she belongs on a completely different show - and that's saying something considering what goes on in this show. 

I did notice one glitch: there was an image of Mary Sibley's reflection, and yet I thought all her reflections were that of a nasty old hag?

Only when they want to be dramatic. They've shown Mary look normal in a mirror lots of times. When she screamed and telekinetically shattered one comes to mind.

I try to go easy on female characters, as they're always given a LOT more grief than the male ones - but oy, when is Mercy Lewis going to get killed off? She's so out there it feels like she belongs on a completely different show - and that's saying something considering what goes on in this show.

It's kind of funny because according to Mercy, Mary is her #1 nemesis EVAH! while Mercy is way down Mary's list of things to give two shits about. Mary's got vomit-baths, kissing assaults IN said vomit-baths, a son who may like her a little TOO much, a new love-interest with an auto-erotic asphyxiation fetish, a former love-interest stalking her dressed like a stagecoach robber, a sexist townie trying to usurp her power and wow, this list is long -- I know there's more but I'm tired of typing. Suffice it to say, to Mary, Mercy is like one of the pox on Isaac's ass: it's there, it's irritating, but Mary ain't touching it.

Edited by kariyaki
  • Love 2

That said, every time I see the actor, I'm left thinking: "this guy was almost Aragorn."

I keep thinking "not Lestat" from that God awful Queen of the Damned movie.