Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: 576 Sq Ft: Mississippi Memory Home

"Tiny House Nation" is back.

Oh, the faux drama in this episode was execrable. Three times we heard about the building inspector and potentially being shut down. And I am so tired of the fake deadlines. Hey, you know what happens if the build isn't done on time? The family can stay in a hotel for a few nights.

Was it me, or was John especially douchey in this episode?

I liked the reminder that it wasn't only New Orleans that suffered in Hurricane Katrina, and that much of the Gulf coast was also devastated. We tend to forget about that.

I was also confused. The woman and her son had lived in Alabama for 10 years, ever since they left after Katrina. Did they ever say what she did that she could relocate back to her hometown? Unless she and the new husband were retiring? From what she said, and from what the mayor said, much of the population had moved away and never returned. I can't imagine the economic opportunities were overflowing.

I felt sorry for the teenage son, living in an open loft where sound travels. How's he going to fap in privacy? (Because all teenage boys do it.) Even the couple alluded to their "private" time and the noise issue.

If he's that into computers, how is it that he has only one monitor? Even I have two at work now.

Still, I liked the "tree house" effect" of the house, and it really did seem larger because of the vaulted ceilings. I am more convinced, however, that a house like this is suitable for one or two people at the most, not a family.

Edited by SmithW6079

They should put some rockwool insulation in the ceiling.  That's what Scott McGillivray does to keep the noise down in Income Property.
And how about  folding tables and chairs, for large gatherings?  I'm hoping they found a place to build a storage shed on the property, and if not, they should.

I'd sympathize with fighting the table for every meal, but she was the one who wanted to seat 10.

I don't see why they didn't make it a bit bigger.  Surely the perks from being on the show aren't that much.

And while the tree was beautiful, I hope it doesn't come crashing down in the next storm.

• Love 1
(edited)

They should put some rockwool insulation in the ceiling. That's what Scott McGillivray does to keep the noise down in Income Property.

But that would add precious inches, and the tiny house wouldn't be a tiny house anymore! :-)

I think for the boy, the issue was primarily that his bedroom was a loft, with no privacy other than height. Maybe he'll string a curtain or something across the opening.

John's faux drama ruined what could have been a pretty poignant episode about rebuilding and the strength of ties to one's home.

This was yet another example of not living the "tiny house" movement. When you start saying you need room for X, Y, and Z ("we need our gym," "we need our study," "we need to seat 20 for dinner"), then you're not really accepting the concept of living small.

There really was no reason this couple couldn't have built a slightly bigger house that would have given the son his own bedroom, yet still have built a much smaller house than they had before. Wasn't that part of the manufactured drama anyway -- that the house was too small for building codes?

Personally, I hate bench seating at a long dinner table. There is nothing more uncomfortable than being stuck in the middle and trying to sit down at and get up from the table.

And while the tree was beautiful, I hope it doesn't come crashing down in the next storm.

That's what I thought, as soon as she mentioned building the house to incorporate the tree. Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 2

SO and I started watching the new one last night where the lady was into the raw food thing but needed a stove to cook for her kids. It only took us a couple of minutes to shut that down.

Between the vocal fry and the sound-too-good-to-be-true-ness of her story (I was a dancer and then I choose to be a single mother and have 2 children in two years while I go to UC Whatever and I save the planet in my spare time) I fast-forwarded to the end to see what Zack came up with.  

• Love 2

I saw the Mississippi one for the first time last night.

With an 18' ceiling height, they should have just built a complete second floor. Why is it that John and Zach never seem to realize that both parents and teenagers need privacy? That seems to be the last things those two ever think of.

I figure that the tree probably takes out the house in the next big hurricane.

That needing an 8' table was just stupidity on that woman's part. She could have bought a table with multiple leaves. She could have bought a folding table and used that when they had company; we used one of them for holiday dinners.

Why didn't they build a wider wrap-a-round deck to increase living/entertaining space?

That needing an 8' table was just stupidity on that woman's part. She could have bought a table with multiple leaves. She could have bought a folding table and used that when they had company; we used one of them for holiday dinners.

We always had a card table or 2 set up in the living room, or the rec room.  I can't figure that out either.