Type keyword(s) to search

Captain Benjamin Sisko: A Linear Thinker

Ben Sisko was the first Captain/Commander I adored! Jean-Luc I liked because he wasn't Star Fleet's Officer of Booty Calls (that was for Riker.) I didn't fully enjoy Kirk until I got into my twenties and could embrace the cheese. I didn't watch much of Voyager, even though I like Kate Mulgrew. I did not watch Enterprise for Bakula, but Porthos and Trip.

I loved that Sisko expected everyone, civilian, Star Fleet, Bajorian, Cardassian, or whatever, to be truthful and respectful. That is why the war arc was so powerful, imo.

We also saw his love of Jake, baseball, and Kassidy.

I bought what Avery Brooks was selling wholesale, and enjoyed the ride.

• Love 4

Avery Brooks certainly brought a lot of gravitas to the role, for sure.

And I really like the chemisty between him and Jake; it's not very often you see such a profound father/son bond depicted on television, let alone on a Sci-Fi/Star Trek series!!

• Love 2

I had liked Mr. Brooks on Spenser: For Hire and was glad he was lead in a Star Trek show.  Let's just say, I'd love to hear a discussion between Ben and Hawk ( a gun for hire and friend of Spenser.)

Another episode I enjoyed was the during the war and Sisko and Jake went back to New Orleans to visit Ben's dad. Sisko got to voice his concerns about returning and the obligations he felt as The Prophet to someone who truly had no agenda other than help Ben get back to some happiness. Seeing where Ben and Jake's closeness (outside of Jennifer's death) came from was nice as well. I enjoyed that episode much more than the Next Gen ep with Jean-Luc eventually wrestling with his brother in the mud. (That the emotional breakthrough was then trashed in a later movie? It helped me emotionally move away from the later seasons, but that's for Next Gen gripes.)

For whatever reason, I haven't really sat through the episode where the black writer from the 50s is trying to get his story published. I don't know why. I'd like to hear from folks who saw it: worth a watch or not too important? I like off-beat stories, so it wasn't that aspect.

I am glad that Q only showed that once. I really like John De Lancie, but Ben had no time for Q's shenanigans and I'm glad we only had him in Season 1.( It was S1, right?)

For whatever reason, I haven't really sat through the episode where the black writer from the 50s is trying to get his story published. I don't know why. I'd like to hear from folks who saw it: worth a watch or not too important? I like off-beat stories, so it wasn't that aspect.

"Far Beyond the Stars." I think that and "In the Pale Moonlight" are two of the best episodes of the series. I highly recommend watching it. Plus, it's fun to see a lot of the actors just playing humans without their alien make-up.

• Love 3

Apparently, the line-up for the Boston Creation Trek Con is pretty stellar this year. AND they have Avery Brooks scheduled.  I hear he's a BLAST to hear/see in person, in a "Head-Shaking/WTF" kind of way, apparently. Which fits my percpetions of him based on the interviews I've read through the years. (Is anyone else planning on going, out of curiosity?)

Yes, both "Far Beyond the Stars" and "In the Pale Moonlight" are two of the best episodes of the entire series. (I also like "The Vistor", but that's more of a Jake episode than a Sisko episode, though it really is more about the bond between father/son.)

Yes, I can't say enough about "Far Beyond the Stars". It really is great, as it handles a sensitive topic poignantly, without resorting to the normal Trek heavy-handedness. And having the characters play their "Alter-Egos" really serves to throw the viewer off just enough without alientating them.

Edited by ShadowDenizen
  • Love 2
Yes, I can't say enough about "Far Beyond the Stars". It really is great, as it handles a sensitive topic poignantly, without resorting to the normal Trek heavy-handedness.

I think part of that is because DS9, as far as I can recall, is the only Trek that actually deals with human race relations directly instead of using metaphors for it or unspoken larger social context (first interracial kiss on TV). There's this episode, which is set in the mid-20th Century, and there's also a comment Sisko makes to Kassidy in Season 7 about why he objects to playing in Vik's bar: Because that was a time in history when black people were treated horribly, and he doesn't want to romanticize it. I always liked that this was at least called out and not just ignored.

• Love 3

Not only is "Far Beyond the Stars" a powerful and moving hour of television in its own right, there are aspects of the final episodes of the series that probably make no sense if you haven't seen it.  I don't want to ruin the end for anyone, but it's important for the last season too.

And also an amazing hour of television.

• Love 1

Far Beyond the Stars is one of the best Trek episodes hands down (for me). It could have easily de-evolved into a schticky hour, what with the main characters playing other people, and some without their character makeup, but the story was very well done and the actors are awesome.

From what I understand, Avery Brooks was very vocal on having race/racial social issues portrayed in the Star Trek universe and encouraged these type of stories.

I am glad that Q only showed that once. I really like John De Lancie, but Ben had no time for Q's shenanigans and I'm glad we only had him in Season 1.

Did love Q as a character on Next Gen, but LOVED that Sisko had no time for Q's crap. Loved that. He had more pressing issues to deal with, ultimately!

**PUNCH**

"You hit me? Picard never hit me."

"I'm not Picard."

• Love 2
From what I understand, Avery Brooks was very vocal on having race/racial social issues portrayed in the Star Trek universe and encouraged these type of stories.

Yes, I heard that as well.  From all accounts, Avery Brooks is a very... interesting... guy. 

For those who may not have seen it, I would highly recommend watching the "Captain Sisko Yells at Everyone" video.   Quite some time ago, a genius fan spliced together 7 seasons worth of Captain Sisko's screaming at people.  It's PRICELESS, and it should still be avialble with a quick web search (or possibly on YouTube, even?)

Edited by ShadowDenizen

Captain Sisko rocks.

There.  I've said it. 

Reasons?  Oh, so very, very many. 

He don't take crap from nobody, whether it be annoying Ferengi, duplicitous Cardassians, self-righteous Kais or supernatural alien entities. 

He's a sexy, sexy man who is also a loving father and son and is not afraid to physically show that love by hugging and/or kissing his own father and son.

He's got a smile that can light up the entire station and a frown that can close down a Cardassian warship.

He's smart.  He's brave.  He's idealistic and realistic. 

He's the Emissary in more ways than one.

He rocks.

• Love 7

Yes, I heard that as well.  From all accounts, Avery Brooks is a very... interesting... guy. 

For those who may not have seen it, I would highly recommend watching the "Captain Sisko Yells at Everyone" video.   Quite some time ago, a genius fan spliced together 7 seasons worth of Captain Sisko's screaming at people.  It's PRICELESS, and it should still be avialble with a quick web search (or possibly on YouTube, even?)

Yes, it is on You Tube, close to 6 minutes. Thank You!

• Love 2