Type keyword(s) to search

It Follows (2014)

• Start Topic

I saw it last night;  I'm still not sure what to think about it.   On the one hand, a relentless force that always pursues you is ominous to think about.   But the ending left a sour taste in my mouth.    

I kind of wondered if the whole thing was sort of a parable about sexually transmitted diseases. But what was the ending? It looked like Paul was going to pass it on to a prostitute, but apparently he didn't because it was still pursuing them at the end. But did they know it? Had they just come to terms with it?

(edited)

I did have the same thought about the std link.

About the ending...I interpreted it like he did pass it on but they could still see the presence. Though it did seem to be following them, of course, and not someone else. Or, maybe the prostitute was touched/killed, so the presence was going back down the line again?

It was ambiguous to me. I don't know.

I though the creepiest part was the old lady- the grandma- walking across the schoolyard and the camera going in circles.

Edited by Betweenyouandme
  • Love 1

I though the creepiest part was the old lady- the grandma- walking across the schoolyard

Me too.  Her face was so blank and it just stayed with me.  

I really enjoyed the movie.  Likeable characters, creepy atmosphere, and the entity was set up to where the movie couldn't really rely on jump scares like most horror movies do, which was refreshing.  I agree that the ending was a little too ambiguous.  I would have liked some clearer closure.  But, it didn't ruin the movie for me.

• Love 1

I'm not against ambiguous endings, but to me the one here felt like a cop-out, like the writers weren't sure how to end it so they just cut it off abruptly.

I really did like how "it" worked, the slow-but-steady, relentless pace. To me that's more scary than someone who runs at you. Remember the debate over slow zombies v. fast zombies? LOL.

Also liked the "anachronism stew" feel to the movie, where I wasn't sure when the movie was taking place. Gave it a more timeless aesthetic. Nothing dates a movie faster than references to the social media/technology du jour. I mean, we had the clamshell thing, but at least no one talked about Twitter or Facebook.

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 1

I took one look at the trailer for the latter and decided I could live without 90 minutes of idiot teens screaming their heads off over Snapchat buffering glitches. It Follows does look and sound interesting, and I'm sad its blink-and-it's-gone theater run in my city was over before I had a chance to go see it on the big screen.