Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E16: The Live Playoffs, Results

• Start Topic

Yes, thanks, Donny Ketchum.  Brian, Tonya, and Joshua would've been my pick from Team Adam.  Once Deanna was in, I agreed with saving Brian over Tonya, though.

Deanna just may be my favorite on Team Adam.  While I agree that she is a bit saccharine, I think she's the only one on his team with a somewhat unique and interesting voice.  I had no problems with Adam's taking Brian as his third.  While Tonya is good, I liked her less than pretty much all the remaining women on the other teams. Though I personally find Brian to be a bit bland and boring, he's nothing like any of the other Top 12.  Of course, its also true that I can never remember which songs Brian covered because he does nothing (good or bad) to make his performances the least bit memorable.

• Love 2

Blake often repeats that Corey sounds like current country. The thing is, Blake also is on the record as not entirely liking everything about current country. He often compliments something about a country singer's voice that he thinks is missing from current country radio. I don't think Blake really likes Corey. 

Edited by NoNeinNyet

Blake often repeats that Corey sounds like current country. The thing is, Blake also is on the record as not entirely liking everything about current country. He often compliments something about a country singer's voice that he thinks is missing from current country radio. I don't think Blake really likes Corey. 

Oh, I think Blake likes Corey just fine . . . as a person.  As a singer, I think, beyond a doubt in my mind, that he thinks of him as a capable singer, but didn't want him to make his top three.  I think he wanted Sarah there in his place since he already got Meghan and Hannah through.

• Love 1

Oh, I think Blake likes Corey just fine . . . as a person.  As a singer, I think, beyond a doubt in my mind, that he thinks of him as a capable singer, but didn't want him to make his top three.  I think he wanted Sarah there in his place since he already got Meghan and Hannah through.

Yes, I should have been more clear. Blake appears to get along with Corey just fine, he just doesn't find much special with his singing. I'm so glad that he chose to save Hannah but I couldn't have faulted him for saving Sarah, either.

• Love 1

Having watched the results show a second time, I'm kind of tickled that Christina's entire team (both going into the Lives and after the playoffs) was and still is made up of minorities (three black, one Hispanic, and one Asian, now reduced to just the three blacks).  Conversely, Adam dumped both of his two remaining minorities.

Having watched the results show a second time, I'm kind of tickled that Christina's entire team (both going into the Lives and after the playoffs) was and still is made up of minorities (three black, one Hispanic, and one Asian, now reduced to just the three blacks).  Conversely, Adam dumped both of his two remaining minorities.

Honest bit of feedback, dude: I've read your comments on this and other show threads, and you are really obsessed with race.  You seem to be implying quite strongly with the highlighted section that Adam made those choices in some part due to race, and not wholly on his own judgment of talent and merit.  Don't deny it- if you didn't mean to imply that, then why even say that?

Given his only two wins were with Javier Colon and Tessanne Chin, and has championed plenty of minority and gay contestants over the years, that's a very unfair charge.  What's sad to me is, when I was watching the results show on Wednesday, and they were showing the picks... I actually thought to myself, "Ha, even Donny Ketchum can't complain about how many minorities are going through this round!".  I guess I was wrong.

This country as a whole still has pockets of severe race issues- I get as wall-punchingly angry as anyone when I read about yet another police slaying of an American citizen and hardly have to look at the article to know the skin colors involved- but they aren't present on reality TV like "The Voice".  Have you noticed that of the 8 coaches they've had, we have two hispanic women and three black men to go along with Adam, Blake, and Gwen?  Not to mention the steady stream of contestants who defy racial categorization. It's 2015, and more and more people just aren't concerned with race on a day to day level, certainly not when it comes to music artists!  As a label, racial identity has lost a lot of meaning; we can't even define half the contestants anymore, because people are just getting more and more mixed and it just doesn't matter to the show, to the coaches, or to most of the viewers.

• Love 2

It's nice to see some diversity still after reaching the lives, including an entire team Christina. As for Adam, I usually criticize him for the way he (imo) pigeonholes his AA male singers and handicaps them with old, overplayed and/or outdated songs that don't suit their interests.

However, I've been pleasantly surprised by him this season (generally). I think he's been very even-handed with his team and the choice of Brian over Tonya was a good one that also took into account other teams with "other Tonyas". I think, like Blake, he's not that intense about winning. I don't think anyone will "throw" this but I have a feeling producers would be very happy with a win from Pharrell or Xtina (esp. Xtina). And they have the teams that could do it, assuming all goes well with song selection and performance.

As for the question above about Joshua, Meaghan or Cory.... I don't think Meaghan can expect to cash in on Blake's popularity and her style isn't imo going to take her to the finals. Joshua, I've read, has an appeal for his looks and softer sound, but he's been completely off my radar so... I don't get a feeling of big support for him either.

As for Cory, to me he's completely generic, but he's cute enough and bland enough and young enough (unlike the other two) that I could see him making it to the finals (and -hopefully!- not winning). But as others have said, I don't think Blake would be disappointed for someone else to win this time and I don't think he's going to go all out on Twitter and elsewhere for anyone this season. Just a guess.

• Love 3