Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Basic Email Security

A hacker threatens to publish emails unless a scheduled appearance by a racist comic is canceled.

Please note - the topic will be locked until the episodes have dropped on Yahoo! Screen at 12:01 a.m. PT, 1:01 a.m. MT, 2:01 a.m. CT, and 3:01 a.m. ET. This topic is for episode discussion only please.

That scene should have been funnier. I think the problem is, is after the first few secrets (the one about the Frankie sexuality pool and Jeff's "functioning" alcoholism) they didn't make sense as character traits, or things the people in question would care about. I don't believe Annie or Britta would care that Chang was gross about them.

And Troy is dead now? Does that mean Dan Harmon tried to get him to return for a quickie cameo (like they did with Yvette Nicole Brown) and failed? Because yes, I know, meta, but that's kind of dark.

I think most of the episodes thps season, at least after the first two, are undeveloped. They have an idea for a plot, but can't think of an ending. So it just meanders. Nice of Charley Koontz to take a break from the high-paying CSI: Old People Are Scared of the Internet to support the show that was his first real break, though.

• Love 3

And Troy is dead now? Does that mean Dan Harmon tried to get him to return for a quickie cameo (like they did with Yvette Nicole Brown) and failed? Because yes, I know, meta, but that's kind of dark.

I don't think he's dead. But the trip was only supposed to be six months or a year, I believe. That had to come up with some reason that he didn't return to Greendale. But I'm sure they'd bring him back in a second of Donald Glover ever decides to return.

• Love 1

I liked this one, it had the group together, bouncing off each other most of the time. It touched on some important issues without even pretending to have an answer to any of them, and the last bit, despite the somewhat painful kid acting, made fun of True Detective pretty well.

• Love 1

This started out pretty well, what was with the Avengers/Whedon plug?, but it sort of just tapered off in the end and wasn't great.. the comedian was so terrible, I just.. I know that was the whole point but it was just not funny.

My favourite line was when Frankie finds out Chang used to be their Spanish teacher and Chang says "That's right and frankly, haven't been well utilised since!" So true.

Plus there was the whole 'Neil is fat' thing.. they couldn't have used any other character to be teased at the end?

• Love 3

what was with the Avengers/Whedon plug?

One, general geek enthusiasm for Avengers. The Yahoo promo for s6 started off with an allusion to the Age of Ultron trailer. Two, after Age of Ultron, the next two Avengers films will be directed by the Russo brothers, so maybe they feel like it's family?

• Love 1

I thought all the stuff with Officer Cackowski was funny. But not until they explicitly 4th walled "trilogy" did I connect to the pen episode, so I couldn't figure out why they thought the Pierce's will episode was so good they needed to redo it. A fine topical concept, but I probably would have been happier had it developed in a different direction.  Why not let Britta carry more of it, dwelling on her conflict between encouraging and preventing the performance?

And I agree that a fair amount of it seemed out of character, even with newer undeveloped characters like Frankie. I don't understand why Britta and Abed switched places as the "one person who didn't read" - sure you can justify either, but it seems likely that their choice of actions in the first act would be the same in the second.

Overall I thought it was a fine concept with a few decent lines, but could have come together better.

Edited by Amarsir

This episode should have been funnier but it wasn't!

This was a perfect time to tell the audience who Jeff is always texts during group moment or anytime really. The whole group fight was sort of a let down. I was expecting more than that!

Edited by TwistedandBored
  • Love 1

But not until they explicitly 4th walled "trilogy" did I connect to the pen episode, so I couldn't figure out why they thought the Pierce's will episode was so good they needed to redo it.

Plus, I kept thinking the puppet episode from s4 also fit into the "uncomfortable revelations about each other" category, so it'd be a quartet. (Did they not do one in s3?)

• Love 1

But the puppet episode happened during the gas leak, and may not have really happened. (Plus I think Harmon hated everything to do with that season and isn't going to acknowledge it).

Personally, I'm surprised they brought up "Cooperative Caligraphy/Polygraphy" it just draws attention to how much better those shows were. And also, it shows the people haven't changed or grown. I don't know if that was a deliberate choice on the writers, but since the show is ending this year (right?) you would think they'd be working to some kind of proper ending for the tiny group of fanatically loyal people who watch this show.

(Plus I think Harmon hated everything to do with that season and isn't going to acknowledge it).

Fair.  (edit: with the exception of bringing back Brie Larson's character into S5.)

since the show is ending this year (right?) you would think they'd be working to some kind of proper ending for the tiny group of fanatically loyal people who watch this show.

Well, I wouldn't bet hard on a renewal, and more importantly, the actor contracts are up.  But so far, I don't think anyone's definitively said they were planning for this to be the final season.

Edited by arc

Danny Pudi booked a pilot, though. He will have to do Community if it returns, but if he's auditioning for other stuff it seems he doesn't want to. And why would the actors stay on this show, that no one watched but a fanatically-loyal, tiny, group of obsessives? Who are starting to turn on it hard anyway, because the culture we live in? Even Dan Harmon has other stuff going on. 

The show has already lasted twice as long as it logically should have. 

• Love 1

The best part was how Elroy and Frankie were shocked to realize that Britta and Jeff dated, they used to all be a study group, and Chang was their teacher at one point. He really has been misused since then! 

Not a bad episode, and everything with the cop and little kid was funny, but it wasn't as good as I think it could have been. 

• Love 1