Type keyword(s) to search

Continuing The Series

KoBnR

I figure there's a "Ending The Series" thread. Why not the complete opposite?

How would you continue the show? How would you revive it?

I wouldn't tbh, because it would just be a new series with new characters anyway so it might as well be a new show altogether seeing as how the last 2 seasons are already reboots.

• Love 1

I wouldn't tbh, because it would just be a new series with new characters anyway so it might as well be a new show altogether seeing as how the last 2 seasons are already reboots.

How was season 3 a reboot?

How was season 3 a reboot?

It was clearly a reboot from season 2, the very first episode was a reference to the Initiative trainwreck being over only to make things even worse from here on out.

I agree that season 3 was a reboot and so much better than that disaster that was season 2.  They can't continue the original premise of the show since almost everything has been resolved but I still think they could do a general revenge kind of show, not necessarily connected to Emily/Amanda.  We really don't know much about Nolan's past.  The could develop a story line revolving around him.  I think there are several things they could do to revamp the series and use the same characters.  I agree it wouldn't be the same show, but really, this season has not been the same show as season one anyway. I don't think it needs to end just because their original story is done. 

I agree that season 3 was a reboot and so much better than that disaster that was season 2.  They can't continue the original premise of the show since almost everything has been resolved but I still think they could do a general revenge kind of show, not necessarily connected to Emily/Amanda.  We really don't know much about Nolan's past.  The could develop a story line revolving around him.  I think there are several things they could do to revamp the series and use the same characters.  I agree it wouldn't be the same show, but really, this season has not been the same show as season one anyway. I don't think it needs to end just because their original story is done. 

So basically they should do a new show altogether because that sounds like what you're suggesting seeing as how the original story is done.  Or with your idea of Nolan, it would be a spinoff.

(edited)

What should have been done was plan for a finite series of x years once initial ratings proved to be good, which they were in S1. Then write to that plan as long as ratings are holding - with the contingency plan being a way to wrap things up earlier if ratings tank. Revenge worked so long as the Red Sharpie was being wielded with abandon.

Edited by NJ RadioGuy
  • Love 1

I don't think there needs to be a spinoff.  The show is called Revenge.  That's a pretty broad umbrella.  It would be very limiting if the show had been called The Revenge of Amanda Clarke.

• Love 2

I actually think the show would have done well to treat each season as an independent revenge story.  Taking the approach of American Horror Story or True Detective, this show could have been a delicious treat with each story having a defined beginning, middle, and end instead of the weird meandering of story we've had since the introduction of the initiative and Emanda throwing the computer with all the evidence she needed into the goddamned Atlantic Ocean. (&$#*#^$Q*!!!!! STILL ANNOYED!)

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't think there needs to be a spinoff.  The show is called Revenge.  That's a pretty broad umbrella.  It would be very limiting if the show had been called The Revenge of Amanda Clarke.

That's what made the series limited to begin with.  The series spent seasons on Emily's revenge, they chose to make it a serialized drama focused on her revenge.  To try and make it an anthology this late in the game isn't a very good idea.  That's why I propose a new show where they could start fresh since it would be with new characters anyway and much of the series already feels like it's been wrapped up anyway.

Edited by Free

New characters and a new show is not what I want (that's just me).  I like Amanda and Nolan and Jack.  Even David has grown on me, and I love to hate Victoria.   I would like to see this show go on with these same characters.  A show with different characters would be a different show.  They have pretty much gone into general revenge territory anyway.  It stopped being specifically Emily's Revenge after season one.  It was still loosely Emily's Revenge, but a lot of other people's revenge, too.  I don't see why they couldn't continue with Emily and Nolan helping other people get revenge.  If done well, I would love to watch that.  But if they don't get the audience, then it won't work, of course.  I was trying to go with the topic of how they could continue the series.

New characters and a new show is not what I want (that's just me).

The problem is that the series itself is already trying to move on to new characters like Margeaux, Louise, and Ben, it's just not working out at all and then on the other hand you have the writers wrapping some things up like Emily turning back to Amanda, exposing her secret in public, David has already been cleared, etc.  So the writers have basically cornered themselves even more than they did last season.

The problem is that the series itself is already trying to move on to new characters like Margeaux, Louise, and Ben, it's just not working out at all and then on the other hand you have the writers wrapping some things up like Emily turning back to Amanda, exposing her secret in public, David has already been cleared, etc.  So the writers have basically cornered themselves even more than they did last season.

Free, I agree with everything you said.  But I don't mind the new characters like Ben and Louise, knowing that they are probably temporary and my main characters are going to go on every week.  I just love the show the way it is and I'm probably in the minority.  I think you're in the majority who think the show has just run its course.  We see it differently.  Nothing wrong with that.  I see your point of view.

Free, I agree with everything you said.  But I don't mind the new characters like Ben and Louise, knowing that they are probably temporary and my main characters are going to go on every week.  I just love the show the way it is and I'm probably in the minority.  I think you're in the majority who think the show has just run its course.  We see it differently.  Nothing wrong with that.  I see your point of view.

It's not just the new characters that's the problem, it's that the main story/main characters are wrapping up, this feels far more conclusive than it did last season and I was already anxious about the David Clarke thing back then.  I originally thought they were trying to shift the focus on to the new characters because they were getting so much focus and then they hyped up Malcolm Black who I assumed was going to take over the Graysons since they got rid of Conrad and Daniel and Charlotte went away in a messy exit so that left Victoria, etc.  This back half instead wrapped up many of the storylines with David Clarke, ending Malcolm Black quickly, and then the last episode with Emily going back to Amanda and then publicly announcing her secret, etc.

So basically they should do a new show altogether because that sounds like what you're suggesting seeing as how the original story is done.  Or with your idea of Nolan, it would be a spinoff.

ABC already ordered a Revenge spin-off, it will be called "The Kingmakers", and as far as I know it features none of the characters and storylines from Revenge, at least not yet. So I guess a complete reboot of Revenge, with new character or storyline is officially off the table. I think the only question is if Revenge gets a final 5th Season, or not.

ABC already ordered a Revenge spin-off, it will be called "The Kingmakers", and as far as I know it features none of the characters and storylines from Revenge, at least not yet. So I guess a complete reboot of Revenge, with new character or storyline is officially off the table. I think the only question is if Revenge gets a final 5th Season, or not.

Well then they already have a new show for the writers then.

With Victoria wealthy once more and to some degree financially capable of revenge -- and highly and legitimately (in her eyes) motivated after the death of her unborn grandson caused (as Margeaux wanted her to believe) by Emily -- I think the series could turn the tables on Emily and make good on that "first dig two graves" quote in the voiceover at the beginning of the series.