Type keyword(s) to search

Whitney Ellsworth: Panhandler Softie

Wilowy

Have nothing but affection for this character, and keep looking for Beaver in other shows. I read his book about his wife's illness and death and it seems this must have taken place DURING the first season of Deadwood. Don't know how he did it.

And "flatter than hammered shit" is one of the all time great lines (part of it).

• Love 2

Have nothing but affection for this character, and keep looking for Beaver in other shows. I read his book about his wife's illness and death and it seems this must have taken place DURING the first season of Deadwood. Don't know how he did it

I first saw him on Supernatural and followed him on Twitter. When I started realizing the timeline and how he was on this show when his wife was ill...I don't know how he did it either, other than he's a consummate professional. I enjoyed his stint on Justified, too.

• Love 1

Damn, didn't know he was on Supernatural. A large part?

The death of Ellsworth was the death of the series for me. I don't know that I could have watched a season 4 even if there had been one. And what would that season have consisted of, really? Damn you Milch, damn you HBO. Even if you're not to blame, damn you any-fucking-way!

• Love 1

Thanks, Willowy. Do you think anyone will begin a forum for Rome, which is reairing on HBO.

And will our hearts ever heal from the loss of this obscene, scatological, vulgar universe known as Deadwood? Mine won't. Just commenting here tonight has me tearing up.

• Love 1
Catherinewriter, Jim Beaver was (is?) Bobby on Supernatural... they kill off and resurrect people regularly, so I'm not sure what his status is, currently.

He was a regular S2-S7, now he's recurring as a dead guy. He made one appearance last season as a dream, and I'm sure he'll be back for a cameo this season. Pissed me off when they killed him, but if they haven't then we wouldn't have had Shelby on Justified. Beaver's getting work, that's all that matters. 

Aww, me too. I don't think we'll ever get over it, as much as we may love some newcomer, Deadwood remains uppermost.

I'm glad I discovered it late because if I would have been invested in real time? It would have been ugly. 

I'm glad I discovered it late because if I would have been invested in real time? It would have been ugly. 

I hear that. I've said this before but it's the only show where I can ever remember being actually angry that I had to wait a week for the next episode.

There was a lot of fun being in on it from the get-go, though. The HBO board community was electric, we were all so swoony in love with the show, and when the actors would come and post with us it was heady and we all just felt like family. Nobody 'hate-watched' Deadwood. 

• Love 1

Do other posters have these: Beaver Watch, and Dayton Callie Watch, and Robin Weigert Watch, and oh, god Brad Dourif watch. So many of them. I always curse (with all the help I got from the language of Deadwood) when I realize I've missed someone in something. Because they're not generally the stars, so write-ups in the paper or blurbs in the tv listings don't mention them.

• Love 1

Catherinewriter--I started watching Justified just so I could see the Deadwood folks, and ended up loving the series. I wouldn't say I have an actor watchlist going, but I'm always excited when I see actors from Deadwood show up somewhere, and double excited when they show up in the same thing. For example, The Sessions--John Hawkes' character ends up with Robin Weigert's at the end. I haven't seen it yet but it's on my TBW list. i don't think Robin plays a large role in the movie but I'll watch a few minutes of John/Robin anytime. 

• Love 1

Mizkat, Robin's role is not large but it's not a cameo, either. And Dan of Dority is also in "The Sessions."

Wait, what? Walnut Queen, you mean Ellsworth is in JFC? I didn't know that. See, my actor/actress watch fails so much.

Sad to know that this will be the last season of "Justified," which in its own way has been a beacon of light on good old TV.

Catherinewriter--I started watching Justified just so I could see the Deadwood folks, and ended up loving the series. I wouldn't say I have an actor watchlist going, but I'm always excited when I see actors from Deadwood show up somewhere, and double excited when they show up in the same thing. For example, The Sessions--John Hawkes' character ends up with Robin Weigert's at the end. I haven't seen it yet but it's on my TBW list. i don't think Robin plays a large role in the movie but I'll watch a few minutes of John/Robin anytime. 

I felt the same way with Sons of Anarchy with Dayton Callie and Robin Weigert. Apparently, according to imdb, Kim Dickens is also in a few episodes.. I haven't watched all of SoA but damn, it has a LOT of people in it.

Kalliste, I thought I had already posted this, but apparently not. Robin's role in "The Sessions" isn't large but neigther is it a cameo. And Dan Dority is also in the film. Dayton Callie was in an episode of "Major Crimes" a couple of seasons ago and he was stunning.

Reading Jim Beaver's posts on the Sepinwall rewind inspired me to buy his memoir, Life's That Way.  An extraordinary memoir made of his pretty-much-nightly group e-mails written during his wife's illness and the year beyond.  Edited but not amended.  Here was a man, and this time remains his story. 

• Love 1