Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: The Inescapable Truth

A key witness in a drug investigation is found dead after escaping from his court-mandated rehab program, and Backstrom must figure out how he escaped and who killed him. However, when the S.C.U. learns that the victim is member of a band and all his bandmates dislike him, they start to believe that the killer may be someone closer than they expected. Meanwhile, Backstrom has reason to believe that Valentine may be more than just his tenant.

Well, I wasn't expecting that bit of truth. Well-played Show, well-played.

Was that Gigi Rice as Valentine's mom? IMDb isn't helping just yet. It may not be her, but I thought the smile was  similar.

I liked the how Backstrom "smoked out" the enabler in the rehab and the final gathering of the band. Our band's asides were fun. Neidermeyer is fun and we had first(?) kiss between he and Paquet tonight!

Everything Everett and Gregory was gold, imo.   I'm not totally sold on Moto's view on dealing with Valentine. There are some families that cut ties because they need to, but it's not easy for or on them. There are close friends that aren't the most sterling but you stick with them and things get better. It depends on the people and situation involved. For Moto, who is loyal to a problematic cop, hearing this from him seemed out-of-character. I could be wrong, though.

ITA with Mom about not needing Blue to know about Valentine. After one episode with him? I strongly dislike the self-serving s.o.b. Granted, Valentine could probably hold his own, for a bit, but  Backstrom couldn't think smarter or outmaneuver him, so keep them away until at least....mid-season 2? ::thinks lovely thoughts:: 

We also go the shower shot from the credits. Yay.

Also, yay! We don't have to wait for two more weeks, but there are seemingly only two more episodes(?), so the show will be  finished for the season sooner too.

• Love 2

Well, I wasn't expecting that bit of truth. Well-played Show, well-played.

Was that Gigi Rice as Valentine's mom? IMDb isn't helping just yet. It may not be her, but I thought the smile was  similar.

I liked the how Backstrom "smoked out" the enabler in the rehab and the final gathering of the band. Our band's asides were fun. Neidermeyer is fun and we had first(?) kiss between he and Paquet tonight!

Everything Everett and Gregory was gold, imo.   I'm not totally sold on Moto's view on dealing with Valentine. There are some families that cut ties because they need to, but it's not easy for or on them. There are close friends that aren't the most sterling but you stick with them and things get better. It depends on the people and situation involved. For Moto, who is loyal to a problematic cop, hearing this from him seemed out-of-character. I could be wrong, though.

ITA with Mom about not needing Blue to know about Valentine. After one episode with him? I strongly dislike the self-serving s.o.b. Granted, Valentine could probably hold his own, for a bit, but Backstrom couldn't think smarter or outmaneuver him, so keep them away until at least....mid-season 2? ::thinks lovely thoughts:: 

That reveal was awesome, definitely like that better than father & son. 

I also don't agree with what Moto said and feel like it was weird for his character to express that particular sentiment. 

I like the relationship with Gregory's mom and Backstrom, that they're still friendly. I get emotional whiplash with this show and the Backstrom character, he seems to be meanest to males. Or he's only nice to women he'd want to bed or already has, as evidenced by how much friendlier he is with his ex, Paquet, Gregory's mom and the woman bartender this episode. 

Oh and I'm curious how Gregory is going to deal with Blue, it's not as though he's delicate. And he doesn't have the imbalance of power in his relationship with Blue, the way he would have if her grew up with Blue as a dad. What I mean is that Backstrom kind of reverts back to childhood dynamic with Blue and Gregory would be meeting Blue as a hardly impressionable adult.

• Love 2

Not Gigi Rice. It's Lolita Davidovich

• Love 1

I thought that Backstrom liked the woman bartender because he saw something of himself in her.  He knew how to get her to respond.  Your thing makes more sense Check Sanity.

I was surprised that Backstrom was only considering that Valentine was his son now, given how close they are and how well they get along.  Maybe he suspected it before but didn't delve into it until he was sure they liked each other.

I actually don't think that Blue will be that bad of a dad to Valentine. He's only the way he is with Backstrom because they have a contentious relationship due to the way that he grew up.I will admit that even though it obviously couldn't have been, I was cringing at the thought that Backstrom might have slept with his mom. I am such an idjit sometimes, lol.

This was a fun case, I especially like the way the ending played out. Poor Niedermayer never gets any respect for all of his hard work. Though it is interesting that if anything was to happen to Backstrom that Niedermayer is the one that would take over.

Almost forgot. The ADA that let Gravely take the hit for losing twenty-four johns in a vice sting!  Yeah, dude, Gravely's all about makin' nice with your do-nothing ass. Implying that you "saved" her from "worse"?  I hope she tells Backstrom and they wire her up to take down all the smug douches involved. I think even Almond would get with that program.

Am I supposed to believe that there is no protocol for high-ranking politicians/upper echelon cops in stings? That 24 good busts would be allowed to evaporate because some high-ranking someone wanted prostitute action?  I think I want a Backstrom/Grimm crossover where Nick, Hank, Wu, and Captain Renard help Special Crimes clean out the asshats who did Gravely wrong. Including ADA Kines.  (They are just in different districts; Grimm is more downtown/central Portland, Backstrom is more coastal and suburban?)

I have really enjoyed the season, especially as it has gotten better from the off-putting pilot.  Hoping for a renewal!