Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Welcome Mat

• Start Topic

Dark chocolate bark with almonds, pretzel & sea salt goes well at lunchtime, too! But only for desert. Lunch was pan-fried (in lieu of toaster) bagels, scrambled eggs with lazy man mozzarella, and sausages. Yum!

Didn't have a spatula I could use 😡 so I had to use the blade of a knife. Prolly would have permanently damaged the nonstick lining of the pan, if it hadn't been scraped off years ago. All washed down with my last coke.

Was sitting here trying to watch Highlander II (horrible - gave up after 10 minutes) when I heard repeated, shrill screams from outside. Sounded like mass murder! So I rushed out, to find the postman (female) shrieking her head off. Why? Because Mo was sat on the driveway looking at her through the gate. <scream! scream! scream! scream! scream! ... >

Great. The perfect temperament for a postman someone who gets a panic attack at the site of a skinny, fuzzy puppy. 

I just what happened to my mail while all the screaming was going on. Should I start searching the wherlie-bins in my neighborhood?

And why has the bulk of this post turned red again?

Late. Long after midnight. Was watching an old Clint Eastwood movie. There was a woman in there in Hot Pants. I had absolutely forgotten those things ever existed!

Ramen with pak choy and a very small amount of ham for dinner. Mo got a huge bowl of chow this morning - enough for three meals - and he ate that all day, along with what ever he could wheedle out of me.

Mo is actually sitting on my chest right now. He was looking out of the window and just decided to sit down. No, he has now left the room. 

Won't make a lengthy post now. (Mo is back.) Will douse lights and catch zzzz's as soon a Mo settles.

• Like 1
(edited)

Close To midnight again. Garden Patrol was a Search & Rescue mission:

PXL_20240519_020524686.thumb.jpg.476d664d9c8d434a188b686195884be9.jpg

My Patrol Partner and I are baffled as to who the shoe thief might actually be. 

PXL_20240519_020516326.thumb.jpg.819c21a14eda25c44a13ae4bdbb143a0.jpg

I cooked chicken rice with red beans, pak choy and plantain for lunch with enough left over for dinner. It's only when I ate the second half at dinner time that I realized I'd left out the chicken. Tried garnishing the meal with some sweet Thai chili sauce. Not bad. Will try mixing that stuff with pepper sauce for a little snap!

Mo got chow. When the windfall bag of chow came our way I filled all three of my large, plastic jars that get used to store his food. There were several pounds left in the bag which required storage in the fridge. Fortunately, in the box with the food were two large bag-clips. (Can anyone enlighten me as to the value of a bag clip with a combination lock?) Anyway, Mo has to eat chow until that bag is empty and I can get the bottom shelf of my fridge back! But I conceal a bacon begging strip in the bowl as a treat. He inevitably detects it immediately and eats it first. But no surprise. He has a cold, wet, bacon-detector right on the front of his face...

After lunch I had a nice desert of sweet, frozen strawberries, sweet chocolate chips, honey and cream! I tasted the acid of the strawberries, the bitter of the chocolate, and to a small degree, the honey. (Mo just jumped into bed, walked up and gave me a huge, wet kiss on the nose.) 

Time Takes Time by a band called Dusted. Album is Safe From Harm and features Dido as a guest vocalist. Now, I don't really know this band but I heard this track (can't remember where) and liked it enough to seek out the album. Apparently, Dusted is a duo, one member of which is Dido's brother Rollo, who is a member of Faithless - another band I like, and on which Dido had appeared as a guest.

Sometimes you find that various pieces of music you enjoy are interconnected in ways you did not realize.

Watched a few episodes of the Australian version of some survivalist reality show. They drop contestants in the bush (individually) and see who can last the longest before they "tap out". Had to give up after two episodes. After all the talk about how they were going to be there for months and come to know all the trees by name, etc, three of the wimps were on their way home after less than 12 hours. The remainder were all sobbing and sniffling because of how hard it was. Mind you, these jokers were allowed to bring ten items with them, including machetes, knives, axes, saws, tarps, rope, fishing line, fire starters, cookware, etc, etc, plus environment-specific clothing.

The level of stupid displayed was more than I could take, even if I tried to watch the show from a comedic point of view. One joker made a tent out of his tarp and spent the night in it. He woke in the morning to discover that he had left his waterproof bag of clothing outside in the rain, and open. By morning the bag was full to brim with maybe 25 gallons of rainwater and every stitch of clothing and some of his other gear was sodden. He poured out the rainwater bemoaning his bad luck. Then he noticed the soaking firestarter and wondered how he would boil creek-water to make it safe to drink. I doubt he has realized up to now that the rainwater (which he poured away) wouldn't have needed to be boiled...

I should have known when the episodes each began with a tribute to the indigenous people from whom the land being used had been appropriated, that the show probably wouldn't go well. 

Anyway, I'm going to read for a while. I still have to lock up but I've finished my shower already so the only complication is to decide whether to have a drink of milk or not. 

Tonight is cool enough that a warm puppy would be a welcome companion. And of course, he's wandered off again. But hopefully he will be back. He chooses where he sleeps, and I'm pleased that he chooses to sleep with me, more often than not.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Watched a few episodes of the Australian version of some survivalist reality show. They drop contestants in the bush (individually) and see who can last the longest before they "tap out". Had to give up after two episodes. After all the talk about how they were going to be there for months and come to know all the trees by name, etc, three of the wimps were on their way home after less than 12 hours. The remainder were all sobbing and sniffling because of how hard it was. Mind you, these jokers were allowed to bring ten items with them, including machetes, knives, axes, saws, tarps, rope, fishing line, fire starters, cookware, etc, etc, plus environment-specific clothing.

The level of stupid displayed was more than I could take, even if I tried to watch the show from a comedic point of view. One joker made a tent out of his tarp and spent the night in it. He woke in the morning to discover that he had left his waterproof bag of clothing outside in the rain, and open. By morning the bag was full to brim with maybe 25 gallons of rainwater and every stitch of clothing and some of his other gear was sodden. He poured out the rainwater bemoaning his bad luck. Then he noticed the soaking firestarter and wondered how he would boil creek-water to make it safe to drink. I doubt he has realized up to now that the rainwater (which he poured away) wouldn't have needed to be boiled...

That was ALONE: Australia. You missed nothing by continuing to watch. I made it through the whole thing but it wasn't easy. I find the USA version (mostly filmed in Canada) to be a bit better but they also allow you to take 10 items with you. If they didn't no one would survive the frozen Canadian winters. 😆

1 hour ago, b4pjoe said:

they also allow you to take 10 items with you. If they didn't no one would survive the frozen Canadian winters.

I don't object to the 10 items, especially "up north". But surely if you have your choice of 10 items you should be able to make a reasonably comfortable little nest for yourself. At least to the point where you aren't blubbering for your mummy in less than 24 hours!

Actually, I wonder what limitations were placed on the choice of items. A tent instead of a tarp? A 1,000' spool of paracord? If I took a bow, would that include a quiver of arrows or would the arrows have to be separate? Could I take one quiver or would I only be allowed nine arrows and the bow?

I think it is an interesting exercise to produce a list of 10 items that I might want to take. I'd probably end up with 200 items in my list and have to whittle it down to 10. I must dig out my own personal bag of goodies and count what's in there. 

• Like 1

I know you can't just pick any 10 items. For example guns are not a choice you can make. I don't think the bow and arrows were allowed on early USA seasons. Now you allowed a bow and 9 arrows.

PROHIBITED ITEMS

Fuel or matches

bug spray/mosquito repellant.

sunscreen/Chap stick

sunglasses

beauty products

map (detailed topographical)

compass

unapproved technology (anything with a battery or an engine, eg. cell phones, computers, watches, etc.)

professional snares

firearms of any kind

ammunition

explosives or gunpowder

animal poison

professional fishing rods

fishing lures, flies, bait kits

fishing traps

food or beverage (except the options from the selection list)

decoys

animal calls

tree stands

professional bows or crossbows

scopes of any kind

tents or shelters

stoves, pressure cookers or other cooking appliances

hydration packs

fire pits

electric or propane lanterns

inflatable boats

filtration, purification devices, iodine tablets

coolers or food storage boxes (except optional bear canister)

58 minutes ago, b4pjoe said:

PROHIBITED ITEMS

Thanks for that list! There are a few items that I'm surprised to see on there, but...

(edited)

Nothing Can Come Between Us by Sade. A very sensual voice indeed. 

I have some small good news, as I lie here in bed, damp from my shower and tired from my day. I've been sitting on this news for almost a month, but I only got confirmation today. Let me go back....

Back in the middle of March, some may remember that I got a one-time food voucher from the Welfare department. The lady told me she didn't know if I could get anything else, but she would try. Well, on the 25th of April, I got another letter from Welfare. (It probably arrived before the 25th but the mail goes to my landlord who is an ass and takes his sweet time passing on my mail.)

The letter contained two cheques; fan-folded, computer generated cheques, dated the 19th April and 3rd May, exactly two weeks apart. There was no covering letter, documentation or explanation of any sort, but I thought they were probably the first of a series of welfare payments, which would continue going forward, for at least a short while. Fingers crossed! With the two cheques dated a fortnight apart, I figured I would get two more cheques dated 17th May and 31st May, arriving some time just before the 17th.

Remember the postman late last week who screamed at the very sight of Mo? She dumped a stack of mail in the landlord's box that day before she ran off. And today, he passed on an envelope from Welfare.

Two cheques dated 17th & 31st May, as anticipated. Along with a form to be filled in if I want them to direct deposit the funds. So I think it's safe to expect two more cheques dated 14th & 28th June, arriving on or before the 24th 14th.

Now, how long this will continue, I can't say, but the direct deposit form does indicate that the cheques will continue for at least a little while!

I considered going out and buying a Porsche with my new funds, but alas, it is not quite enough for that! The cheques are for $120 each and dated two weeks apart it means a monthly payment of $240. This will cover my monthly electricity and water bills, unless I have some crazy event that burns massive amounts of electricity or wasted many cubic meters of water! (Or the economy decides to toilet-dive some more and prices increase.)

It is a PITA when your phone/internet goes off, but electricity and water are fundamentally more critical. Now my rent is covered by my pension, the electricity and water are covered for as long as these Welfare payments continue and I only have to look for enough to buy food for Mo and if I'm lucky, the phone bill as well. 

So a small win and a bit of a burden lifted. Like I said, I had an idea about this for three weeks now, but couldn't confirm until I got that letter from the landlord and saw that it contained exactly what I was expecting. 

So: Hurrah!

Watched a couple episodes of a British TV series today. It's called Rebus and is about Scottish Detective Inspector John Rebus. Based on a series of novels by Ian Rankin. It's only 6 episodes long, but it shows promise. The character of Rebus is played by an actor who is (IMHO) too young, and they seem to have race-swapped his DC (DS?) Siobhan Clarke, but very little is actually known about her from the source material. We know she is 5' 10" ish, we know she has red hair, we know that she had a good figure and that her parents are English. The actress in question is of Kenyan origin but nothing in the source material says "Shiv" wasn't. So I only object to the missing red hair! And Rebus' missing years. 

I always find it annoying when some actor visibly in his early 40s plays the part of a character approaching retirement. But I don't suppose it will significantly affect the show. Nor will Shiv's missing red hair. But if you are casting someone to fill a part in a show, casting someone who at least looks the part would seem to me to be a step in the right direction to get them accepted as that character by the viewing audience. 

Went out for Garden Patrol and found Mo asleep under the front bumper of the van. We had a couple of short but hard showers earlier so I think he was sheltering from precipitation earlier. Normally he is content to curl up on the driveway with open sky over his head. Anyway, he Patrolled with me but he didn't come inside after. Of course, he may appear at any time or decide to stay away. I was sorting some stuff on the bed this afternoon and he arrived to help. I made him sit in one unused corner of the bed by the pillows. Maybe he thinks he did something wrong (lots of things!) and that he is in line for some sort of punishment (no, he isn't!). Anyway, I will read some and then if he hasn't put in an appearance by then I will call him, chuckle his chin and snuffle his head so he knows he is not in any trouble, then let him decide if he wants to sleep inside tonight. 

Going to get a little iced water to drink. Just filled the ice trays so only a handful of cubes available before tomorrow. 

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 4
9 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Nothing Can Come Between Us by Sade. A very sensual voice indeed. 

I have some small good news, as I lie here in bed, damp from my shower and tired from my day. I've been sitting on this news for almost a month, but I only got confirmation today. Let me go back....

Back in the middle of March, some may remember that I got a one-time food voucher from the Welfare department. The lady told me she didn't know if I could get anything else, but she would try. Well, on the 25th of April, I got another letter from Welfare. (It probably arrived before the 25th but the mail goes to my landlord who is an ass and takes his sweet time passing on my mail.)

The letter contained two cheques; fan-folded, computer generated cheques, dated the 19th April and 3rd May, exactly two weeks apart. There was no covering letter, documentation or explanation of any sort, but I thought they were probably the first of a series of welfare payments, which would continue going forward, for at least a short while. Fingers crossed! With the two cheques dated a fortnight apart, I figured I would get two more cheques dated 17th May and 31st May, arriving some time just before the 17th.

Remember the postman late last week who screamed at the very sight of Mo? She dumped a stack of mail in the landlord's box that day before she ran off. And today, he passed on an envelope from Welfare.

Two cheques dated 17th & 31st May, as anticipated. Along with a form to be filled in if I want them to direct deposit the funds. So I think it's safe to expect two more cheques dated 14th & 28th June, arriving on or before the 24th.

Now, how long this will continue, I can't say, but the direct deposit form does indicate that the cheques will continue for at least a little while!

I considered going out and buying a Porsche with my new funds, but alas, it is not quite enough for that! The cheques are for $120 each and dated two weeks apart it means a monthly payment of $240. This will cover my monthly electricity and water bills, unless I have some crazy event that burns massive amounts of electricity or wasted many cubic meters of water! (Or the economy decides to toilet-dive some more and prices increase.)

It is a PITA when your phone/internet goes off, but electricity and water are fundamentally more critical. Now my rent is covered by my pension, the electricity and water are covered for as long as these Welfare payments continue and I only have to look for enough to buy food for Mo and if I'm lucky, the phone bill as well. 

So a small win and a bit of a burden lifted. Like I said, I had an idea about this for three weeks now, but couldn't confirm until I got that letter from the landlord and saw that it contained exactly what I was expecting. 

This is such awesome news! You must be so relieved. That mail lady needs to chill.

• Like 3
(edited)
12 hours ago, Netfoot said:

The character of Rebus is played by an actor who is (IMHO) too young...

By the way, the actor is Richard Rankin. The author of the original source material is Sir Ian Rankin. But they are not related in any way as far as I can see. Just a coincidence.

How 'bout that?

Edited by Netfoot
(edited)

She Cries Your Name by Beth Orton. An English singer who never made it big but whose music I do find time for.

Spent the evening watching a movie called One Life. It's a true story about a man named Nicholas Winton who, in the early days of WW-II was instrumental in the rescue of endangered Polish children and resettling them in Great Britain. The part of Winton in his later years was played by Sir Anthony Hopkins. Working with a group of volunteers who risked their lives in Poland in the days leading up to the Nazi invasion, Winton arranged for visas and other documentation which saved the lives of 669 children. The efforts of Winton and his colleagues went unrecognized for something like 45 years. It is only when, as an elderly man, he tried to find a museum that would take his journal/scrap book, complete with photos and other details on the children that his work became known.

Made public on Esther Rantzen's TV show That's Life, Winton (who was a guest in the studio audience) was surprised to find that some of "Nicky's Children" were sitting in the audience around him. 

I know I've mentioned Esther Rantzen's show before. I used to watch when I was a student in England, but I didn't see the show in question because I was back home before that particular episode aired.

I'd recommend the movie if you have any interest in that period of European history, and the many stories - mostly still untold - of heroism by ordinary people, who did what little they could to oppose the tyrannical forces that were loose in the world at that time.

Tomorrow I must go and see Dr. Kristi to get my blood pressure checked. I also have to check with QEH to see if they have any fresh stocks of Pyridostigmine because I will run out tomorrow. If they don't have any, I must decide whether to spend 75% of one of those welfare cheques to get it at the pharmacy, or pay my electricity bill instead. 

Also, I was supposed to make a small number of wooden items for someone but I was feeling slightly under the weather all weekend (rumbly tummy) so I never did. By time I get back tomorrow I will be tired but I will have to try to make as them because I don't want the guy to come and find I have none ready. Unfortunately he is one of those people that just shows up at my gate unexpectedly. I've told him dozens of times to call or just WhatsApp before he comes so I will know to look out for him but instead he prefers to complain that he's been waiting for 15 minutes at the gate. 

Don't recall what I had for lunch. Did I have lunch? Anyway, for dinner I had a potato, a plantain and a steak. The steak looked pretty bad but it turned out to be quite OK! I made a gravy by deglazing the pan with hot water, honey and soy sauce. Long after the meal was finished I discovered the onion I was going to add to the gravy, sitting on the counter, next to the mandolin.

Mo was here a moment ago but has gone walkabout. He essentially did the same last night but he spent most of the night being very snuggly/cuddly. Perhaps he will do the same tonight.

Anyway, my phone is down to 4% battery so I will post this now, and then read. But it's late and I will want to get away earlyish in the morning, so I won't be reading for long. 

Glucose this morning: 5.1 mmol/L which is almost a  "perfect" score (which is 5.0). Except I prefer to see my glucose on the low side of perfect. 

"And finally, Cyril..." (shout out to Esther Rantzen and her show) the phone is now flashing low-battery messages at me, so I'm gone!

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 1
(edited)

Busy morning. We begin with a Search & Rescue mission:

PXL_20240521_124737042.thumb.jpg.bfdc82a7311f59416b77778c5791dd48.jpg

We are good at this because we get a lot of practice.

Next, Dr. Kristi. I thought I'd get a lecture on drinking cokes, but she just waved and went into her consulting room. Clauder looked after me. (BP is good; come again next week.)

Post office, to cash one of those Welfare cheques. $120 in the pocket.

Gas station, because the van was giving trouble to start. $30 in the tank and problem solved.

OneUp pharmacy, to buy $89.55 worth of Pyridostigmine. I still have minor MG symptoms so perhaps unilaterally cutting off the MG meds would not be wise. For some reason, there was no change from my $90.

(Welfare cheque done.)

Print shop, to get a forgery of my bank statement printed. Everybody insists you go "paperless" while simultaneously demanding a copy of something that you went "paperless" on five years ago. So forgeries are required.

Bank, to deposit the nine bucks I found in my wallet.

Home, to brew up a mug of tea. 

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 2

Spent quite some time making wooden items for a friend. Ended up caked in sawdust from head to foot. How many did I end up making? None. They are tricky little devils with strange angles and bevels and chamfers. But late in the evening I started work on some jigs that should make it easier to create these things without undue effort and confusion. Let's hope tomorrow proves my ideas correct.

Can't remember what I had for lunch. Did I have anything for lunch? I had some fruit mid afternoon. Dinner was potatoes, pak choy, cucumber and questionable chicken diced and fried together. It tasted OK, as much as anything tastes OK these days. But it was oily and I didn't finish it. Mo came along and closed the deal for me.

Speaking of Mo, he is taking his ease outside again. He came in and was my cuddle companion again last night so I hope he will be back tonight as well.

Champagne Supernova by Oasis. A truly great track from one of the best albums by a fabulous band. 

Watched Ghost In The Shell, the 2017 live-action version starring Scarlett Johansson. A somewhat dismal picture of a future that almost certainly will come. I can't say I'm enamored of the idea of artificial body upgrades, whether it is the electro-mechanical variety depicted here or the artificial, tank-grown sloth muscle and shark cartilage popular in the Neuromancer universe created by Bill Gibson. Only part of the movie that was not explained was why SJ had to keep stripping off. I mean, couldn't she leap tall buildings in a pair of shorts and a sports-bra?

Eleven thirty, and I'm showered and thirsty. Think I will get me a glass of water and see if I can spy out little Mo. I wish I could find something cheap and inoffensive to add to iced water to give it a lift. Lime juice and sugar works but is to be avoided on the run-up to bed. Someone recommended a brand of crystals that produced a tasty beverage in a variety of fruit flavours but the price worked out such that it would be cheaper to buy cokes. And heaven help me if Dr. Kristi catches me with another six-pack!

So I'm off for a glass of water and will read for a while before turning in. My new book is a Joe Haldeman sci-fi about rejuvenation and the social & political ramifications of a universally desired process that can only be afforded by the ultra-wealthy.  I am not sufficiently far into the book that I can draw any conclusions as to where it is going 

Haldeman is also the author of The Forever War, which many say was written as a response to Heinlein's Starship Troopers. The latter was made into a movie not so long ago, and followed by at least one sequel. Both books cover the subject of interstellar war, but do so in totally different ways.

Readers of sci-fi generally agree that if you read one you must read the other. Starship Troopers is thought to glorify war whereas The Forever War shows it's futility. But of course, it's not as straightforward as that.

Mo has arrived and is licking his bollocks. He will prolly want to give me kisses later 😳 so I am going to go and get that glass of water and take the opportunity to lock the door.

• Like 2
(edited)

By the way, Yesterday, 21st of May, was eleven years to the day that we lost my sweet boy Dotcom.

Dotcom-portrait.thumb.jpg.c047bad340c3d630b67b14971e1b285c.jpg

The guys from the club who knew him shared photos and reminiscences in our WhatsApp group.

Dotty was an absolute angel, quite unlike the rascal Budweiser who came after him, and very different indeed from Molasses, the devilspawn I am dealing with these days!

I don't remember who might have been around when my posts included talk of Dotty, but I thought I'd mention the sad anniversary. The link above the portrait (and the portrait itself) is to an album of photos of Dotty and this link takes you to a page I wrote and expanded over the years that describes his life and passing. 

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 1
  • Hugs 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

Made 32 wooden items today, nearly finished except for the very last cut. Very wasteful of materials, but the 42 items were sitting there waiting for that final cut. 

I spent an hour building a little jig, to hold each part in perfect alignment on the table saw so that I could drop each piece into the jig, push the jig through the blade and end up with a perfectly cut piece. Checked the jig every which possible way to confirm that it would make the exact cut I needed. 

Pushed the first part through and checked. Chamfer going in the wrong direction. 

Now I have 31 nearly finished parts.... except for the very last cut.

Boiled some water to make ramen. Just as the water came to the boil and I was about to throw in that brick of hard noodles, the phone rang. Unka Rudy's car has died in the mall parking lot and can I come and help with a jump start? Stove Off, Mo in van, and away we go! 

We tried using jump leads to get him started on my van battery (which is relatively new) but no luck. So we called Roadside Assistance. Guy rolled up and we tried his jump leads from his truck. No dice.

Rudy's battery completely dead, but by using two jump leads and the truck and van together, we get his car started. 

Right. Do not let this car die because it won't restart. Go from here to Carter's PitStop or Automotive Art and buy a new battery. Do not pass Go. Do not collect £100. 

So, Rudy drives all the way home (which is miles from nowhere, up by Long Beach of sargassum fame), parks in his yard and switches off. Then he tries to restart. Which it won't. 

Now, WTF did he do that for? He was half a mile from PitStop. He could have been there in 5 minutes. They would remove the old battery, install a new one, dispose of the old, and not charge him one cent more than the actual price of the new battery. 

Instead, he has to call around tomorrow and see who will bring a battery to him and install it in the field. And then he has to figure out what they will charge. 

If he was an existing customer they would do it free but he isn't anybody's customer, yet!

Sunday Morning by Maroon 5. A pleasant track from a pleasant enough band.

So ramen for very late lunch and Eclipse biscuits with cheese for dinner. It was only a half-pack of Eclipse I found in the fridge, left over from a few days ago. It all tasted very metallic and unpleasant. I only finished it because I didn't want to find myself eating that same pack of biscuits for the third time a few days from now.

I find these days I'm not keen on food and drink a lot of liquids instead. Lime squash, diluted evaporated milk with sugar, coffee, tea. (I love milk but I hate milk with sugar. However, reconstituted evap tastes just wrong. It's fine in coffee or tea, but not on its own. So I add sugar to evap when I drink it.)

Mo was just here giving my face a bath. But he's gone off again. It is close to midnight so l will only read for a little while before calling it a day. My fuzzy friend will put in an appearance when it suits him.

I've been extremely lucky with my four-footed children. Mo is my third baby. They have each been unique in their own unforgettable way. And yet they have all been truly wonderful boys. I don't know how it is that I've been so lucky three times in a row. I have no secret trick for determining if a puppy will be a jem or not. I've just been lucky, three times in a row. 

Now, let me read my book and see if that little hellion comes in to keep me company!

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 4
(edited)

Completed those items. Dusty work. 

PXL_20240523_194554872.thumb.jpg.93740896f65264266274ac53a227fd86.jpg

I now have persistent cramp in my hands and I need a shower bad! I started with 32 of them, screwed one up, then found one with bad grain that I didn't consider acceptable and next, one walked away and has not been seen since. So now I have 29. Later I will check the lawn to see if the missing piece walked out there, but not right now because...

It's raining and I didn't realize it until Mo came running in dripping wet and demanded I towel him down. I did so and he immediately ran back out into the rain....

More to tell but my right hand is absolutely uncontrollable at the moment so I'm finishing this with my pinkie finger and going for a shower.

ETA: Found #30. No, it wasn't outside in the rain. It had fallen out of the box and was in a shadowy corner. I will now give Mo a bacon treat to make up for suspecting him.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 4
(edited)

Eclipse biscuits with PB&J for dinner. Ended up with a stingy cut on my tongue with a dangly bit of skin attached. Never had an Eclipse biscuits do that to me before. And I doubt it was the PB or the J!

Nasty photo, so I will spoiler tag it.

Spoiler

PXL_20240524_012250040.thumb.jpg.e3f18102cf5681f88fdb9beb6fac64d5.jpg

Eeeech!

Edited by Netfoot
  • Mind Blown 2
(edited)

In bed with belly-cuttings, a glass of iced water with three splashes of Angostura, and a fuzzy puppy. If I'd known he was in here I'd have locked the door before retiring. As it is, that door will be open all night because I am not getting out of this bed again!

Took my shower earlier but there is a light, cool breeze in the window and the fan is puffing well. 

Here are the things I've been working on:

PXL_20240523_214704986.thumb.jpg.437142011e3f4b1ba606672218dface2.jpg

A bit of explanation might be in order. 

A guy I know makes furniture to order, for the hospitality industry. So a hotel will say "We need 25 sofas like this!" And he will make them. Or benches. Or side tables. Or what ever they want. Rather than make every last piece himself, he has a number of woodworkers that make simple pieces for him, which he incorporates into his furniture.

The brown, plastic item is a  "foot" for small pieces of furniture. They are imported and expensive to buy in the shop, so if possible he gets people to make them for him. Beneath the plastic one you can see the wooden ones I made. He wants to use these on a small set of "pouffs" he is making. I'm hoping the ones I made will be satisfactory. 

He said he had some but wanted eight more. I made 30. The excess will keep until he needs more next time. He said he also wants some small, square and rectangular feet as well. But not immediately. It might be 6-8 weeks between jobs but depending on the size and quantity of parts needed I can get a few hundred dollars a time, which all helps pay the bills and put food on the table.

I've not done many jobs for him and so far only simple stuff, but I'm hoping if I can show him what I can do I might get more complex pieces to make which should pay better. On the other hand, if I can make a small square sofa foot for $12 and it only cost me $2 in material and 5 minutes in time, I can make a bunch quickly. But he won't likely need 200 sofa feet at any one time. So a more complicated table leg that I get $60 for would be good too.

Hands still cramping but it's moved from right to left so I can type on the phone. For now.

Mo has left but since the door is - and will remain - open, he can come and go as he wants. I just don't know whether I will be able to sleep with the pain in my hands.

Saw a movie tonight called The Fall Guy. To quote YT reviewer The Critical Drinker, it was "Simple, forgettable fun." If you've got time to kill you could do worse.

Mean time Mo paid me a visit, with four wet feet and a wet tail. Not sure how/why. But he looked out the window and now he's gone again.

My tongue hurts, my hands hurt much more. But as it happens, right now the cramps have abated and while I expect they will return, I am glad for the temporary respite.

He's back and looking out the window again....

Meals today were very basic. Tomorrow if I can face the effort, maybe fried chicken breasts and seasoned chips? Possibly some pak choy prepared by itself somehow? Normally I chop/shred it into something else I'm cooking but I don't know that would work with chips or chicken breasts. Maybe I can think up a third dish? Curried channa and pak choy? Steamed carrots & pak choy? Dunno.

Feeling a bit peckish but there is nothing fast I feel to eat in the kitchen and I still have the belly-cuttings, although much eased since I drank the water & bitters. Besides, I'm not getting out of this bed again tonight, no matter what.

Mo has departed and my left foot has decided to start cramping. I am mentally commanding it not to, but it will do what it wants to do. 

Speed King off the Deep Purple In Rock album. Now, this happens to be one of the first albums I ever bought, and remains a must-have member of my collection. Seven solid tracks, not one of which is dispensable. The In Rock album is to Deep Purple what the Paranoid album is to Black Sabbath. 

Going to post this now and see if I can read a bit. It's quite late and I'm quite tired but I'm hoping the distraction of my book will allow the limbs to relax to the point where the cramps magically vanish.

Wish I had a good excuse to go see Dr. Kristi. She always makes me feel better when I'm under the weather. Also, Mo is back, and sitting on my arm... No, he's looking out he window... He's gone again. Going to be a busy night, I recon.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

Quite wobbly today. Went on Garden Patrol with one hand in the wall the entire way. If you can't fill the ice trays without nearly falling down, should you be using a 3 horsepower saw that can cut off a limb faster than you can notice and will kick back at just over 100 MPH?

Made a 2L bottle of iced coffee and another 2L of iced tea this afternoon. Had one glass of each and they both taste pretty good. Tempted to go get a glass now, but if I do, Mo (who is here with me) will demand as much as he can reach by sticking his nose in at the top of the glass. 

Shake It Up by The Cars is playing. Good band with a number of albums and many fine tracks to their name.

For lunch I fried some Cavendish seasoned chips and two chicken breasts, along with curried channa, pak choy and red onion. I should have saved one of the breasts for dinner but I was hungry from last night so I ate them both for lunch. Well, actually, Mo had about half of one and I had the remainder. So for dinner I fried up the rest of the Cavendish chips and added sausage to the remaining curried channa. The sausage was nowhere as good as the chicken was at lunch. Mo got a significant portion of it. But the chips were superb.

I spent the entire day waiting on the guy who told me he was coming to collect the "feet" on Friday. No show. Thing is, I needed to go out. I've had my drill press for 10 years but yesterday, the chuck key decided it was going to disappear. If you can't operate the chuck you can't use the drill press. So I was going to go out and buy a new one (having spent hours searching). But instead I spent the day waiting on a guy who never showed up.

Mo has left the building.

Nothing like a good sci-fi flic, I say! So when I read a review of a new release called Atlas, starring J-Lo, I couldn't resist. The review panned the movie so bad it was absolutely hilarious, forcing me to watch it to see if it could possibly be as terrible as described.

Yes, it was.

Now, to be honest, there have not been many J-Lo movies that were worth a crap, but this one was really spectacular in its awfulness. Don't waste your time on this one. And to think I had as an alternative, another movie called Civil War to watch, which has also received a hilariously scathing tongue-lashing of a review. Or should I say reviews? Because every review I've seen has essentially said it's rubbish too.

That iced coffee is calling my name. Or the iced tea. But I will resist!

Mo is back. He is sitting on my left, upper arm and cleaning his feet. Which makes the phone bob around like a dinghy in a squall.

(It's been a lot of years since I skippered an 11 foot dinghy through a storm squall! The wind was so strong it literally burst the stitching of the batten pockets and let the battens themselves fly away, never to be seen again. Shortly after, we were dismasted. We beached her on sand but had to squeeze between some very unfriendly rocks to get there...)

Tea or coffee? No!!

So, do I go out in the morning and buy a drill chuck key? Or wait and see if the guy ever shows up? 

Eleven on the dot. I will read then catch some sleep slightly earlier than usual.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 2

In bed, with a glass of iced coffee, and listening to Beautiful by Christina Aguilera. Not a huge CA fan, but I quite like this track and most of the album (Stripped) as well.

It rained most of the morning and half of the afternoon as well. No rain later but everything sort of soggy. Did Garden Patrol with one hand on the wall again tonight.

It's been another wobbly day. I don't know why some days are good and others not so good at all. I'm just glad all this didn't start until after I stopped work down in Cattlewash. I'd have hated to be dealing with all this while trying to do that job as well!

Mo has just joined me and is lying on my right foot. I am keeping one eye on him - if he goes for my glass I will have to move quickly!

No shower this evening. I've done nothing all day except wait for the "feet" to be collected. They are still here. 

For lunch I had.... sausage and eggs. The eggs tasted OK but the sausage was tasteless. Some toast might have helped the meal but I don't have a toaster any more. Dinner was ramen with an egg stirred into it. Mo had chow plus whatever tax he could levy, which was more at lunchtime than at dinnertime. He is now bathing my left shoulder... 

He's just done one of his patented side-falls onto my left leg. No problem! It only is a problem when he side-falls onto your nuts or your solar plexus or your face. Or somewhere else delicate.

Watched one of the Jason Bourne movies this evening. Can't remember which one. The Bourne <Something>. This movie was a little unusual in that Jason Bourne never actually puts in an appearance at any point. Sort of like a Batman movie that doesn't have Batman in it. And yes, movie makers have all lost their politically correct minds within the last decade, but this was from more than 10 years ago, so there isn't even that much of an explanation.

I finished my book last night. A sort of unexpected finish which tied up any threads left loose from the earlier portions of the book, but which came out of nowhere and left me wondering if there were clues to the wind-up that I'd missed.

Now I have to find something else to read and I was to go through a small pile I have here before I got into bed but now I will have to get back out. No problem; I'm nowhere as knackered as last night and have to lock the door anyway.

In fact, I'm not very tired at all. I think I will get out of bed and go find something to watch on the computer. Or, for that matter, work on a program I need to get fixed up on that machine. 

Mo has deserted me anyhow, so...

• Like 1

Every time I got out of bed, I felt tired. Every time I got back in I was wide awake again in a minute. Finally closed my eyes around 3:00 and was awoken by Mo at about 5:30. He was then extremely affectionate until I crawled out of bed at 8:00 this morning. And it actually took me about half an hour to get out of bed. Mo would put a paw on my arm and insist I stayed. Then he would roll over and expose his tummy for rubs and tickles. Eventually, I was able to get out and get moving. 

Not that I'm doing much in the way of moving.

Glucose this morning was 5.2 mmol/L which isn't actually bad, but I always feel lower is better so a 4.8 would have pleased me more. 

To tell truth I'd have enjoyed staying in bed with Mo longer but I had to do the glucose test, take my meds and (most importantly) pee. 

We had a short but heavy shower of rain a little earlier and if yesterday was anything to judge by, it could be a damp day. But so far it was just the one shower and things look bright.

I feel the urge to eat something. There isn't much to choose between. I have some bread but it is over a week old and might even be moldy (really should check). Those rolls didn't taste quite right from the start and avoiding then only let them get older and potentially yuckier. The bad taste might be entirely in my mouth.  There is one pack of Eclipse remaining (I think) and there is some cheese and even PB&J but I may save that for lunch. Perhaps I should just brew up a mug of tea and settle for that.

Or I could cook a pot of bully beef rice for lunch with carrot and what? Cabbage? Do I  Have Anything I could add to the rice? Corn. I know I have a tin of whole-kernel corn. What else I would have to get up out of this chair and go check the cupboard.

Or I've got a few potatoes....

I seem to be losing the use of the little and ring finger on my left land. Tending towards numb and also not obedient. Ink gone red for some reason.

It's later than I thought! No wonder I'm feeling peckish!

• Hugs 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Every time I got out of bed, I felt tired. Every time I got back in I was wide awake again in a minute.

I hate that, and it happens to me far too frequently.  

• Like 1

"Feet" collected. $230 in hand.

For 30 pieces that's only $7.67 each but I was given the materials so there was no expense there, and once the jigs were figured out, 30 were no harder to cut than say 10. The only extra effort was in the sanding, but they take less than a minute each to sand on the disk sander, so...

• Like 7
(edited)

Ok, pouff feet handed over and cash ready for the bank in the morning. The guy tells me he will also need some very simple, small square or rectangular feet as well but that won't be for another week. And he wants a frame for a hatch which is to go into some custom piece he's making. From his gestures it looks like about 14" square. He will provide the materials and I just need to build the frame - the door to be obtained from another source. 

It seems he has a $200 discretionary spending limit without seeking approval from his boss. Seeing as I am not a VAT registered company, the VAT pushes this up to $235. Anything more than that and he has to get approval. So he comes to me and says "Make X number of these and I will pay you $230." Or "Here is $230, I need as many of these as possible." Sometimes I have to buy the wood, sometimes he provides it.

I'm not sure if I have to see Dr. Kristi tomorrow or not. I was there at the start of last week for her to test my blood pressure and I know I was supposed to go back again, but was it after one week? Or two? I can pop in and ask. I've removed the drill press chuck to take with me when I go to buy a chuck key to match. So I will be out and about anyway, so no fatigue to stick my head in the door and ask "Was it today? Or next week?"

RIverside by Agnes Obel. I have one of those friends who, when you send an e-mail to say "Howya doin'?" You get a response/reply 19 months later. A while back I started sending unsolicited music files and she began to reciprocate. Never heard of Agnes Obel before but her music sounded OK and I acquired an album or two. (Believe me, some of the other recommendations were enough to make me pour hot beeswax in my ears! San Francisco, so whaddya expect? 😆) Alas, she soon tired of the game and I've heard nothing since April last year but a Christmas greeting in response to a super cute picture of Mo.

Speaking of who (whom?), I have a warm, fuzzy feeling in the small of my back right now. 

My new book is called Pastwatch - The Redemption Of Christopher Columbus. It's by Orson Scott Card, a writer of some repute in sci-fi circles and whose work I've read before. (Mo departeth.) I am not sure I'm going to like this particular book. The general idea seems to be a technological breakthrough that allows researchers with suitable equipment to observe the actions of history and (possibly) affect what happens in the past. One researcher seems to have decided that CC must not be allowed to "discover" the new world so as to prevent the indigenous people who populated it from being exploited. The sweeping changes and mass deaths that would befall the present day world as a result of such time-tampering will simply have to be born. And apparently everyone thinks this is a good thing.

Watched the last of the Dirty Harry movies starring Clint Eastwood. You will know the original movie by reputation at least. But did you know they made four sequels? Eastwood played Harry Callahan well enough, but by the fifth movie he was basically running out of things to say. And the massive, 45 oz., N-Framed Smith & Wesson Model #29 had lost some of its shine.

I never met a Model #29 in person but I have had the pleasure of the company of a Model #629, the stainless steel version of the original blued steel item. She had a very loud voice. But she didn't scare me as much as a K-Framed, Model #619 with armour piercing shells! Holy shit-balls!

(A warm, fuzzy feeling has returned to the small of my back.)

Made some rice for lunch. With carrots, corn and pak choy. I opened a tin of tuna chunk and was surprised how flake it was! But flake works fine in rice so all went well. It even tasted pretty good in my largely post-flavour world, so I had the leftovers for dinner. Just before Garden Patrol I had an absolutely spiffing mug of tea; truly delicious. Tried for another one after the Patrol and it was pretty good but not quite as. 

I guess I'd better go and read my annoying book. "You must return the land to those from who (whom?) you stole it!" But when I do so, do they in turn return it to those from who(m?) they stole it? 

Oh! Almost forgot to mention I also watched Civil War. Very thinly veiled political activism. I think this movie is the vision of some distressed person who is desperate for the worst conceivable outcome of certain upcoming events. Watch if you must, but I'd recommend Dirty Harry instead!

The iced coffee and iced tea are all gone. I will have to make more tomorrow. Now I will go back a week and see if I said anything about seeing Dr. K. on Monday this week or not. Why didn't I put it in my appointments as usual?

ETA: Apparently Clauder told me to come again "next week" so tomorrow, then. And I now recall her saying no need for an appointment, just pop in.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 1

Clauder took my blood pressure and Dr. Kristi stopped my Diovan (yay!) and told me to come again next Monday. Hopefully this will lead to reduced wobblies. Dr. K. also said "Get some exercise!"

With drill press chuck in hand, I went to Do It Best to buy a chuck key. Their website says they have several varieties in stock, but they couldn't find a single one for me to try. Across to Carter's, next. They did have several different keys available but none fitted. Back across again, past Do It Best, to Kooyman. A very helpful guy showed me the ones they had (none fit) and then took me into the service department to see if they had anything that would work (none would). He recommended I try EssCo so it was back past Do It Best and Carter's to EssCo (where my mate from the club Ian works but he was at lunch, so alas no chance for a chin-wag). They only had one key for sale and of course it was a perfect fit!  Only $11.73 and that's dollarettes, too! Result!

Hurried home so fast I forgot to deposit my foot-money in the bank.

Passed the supermarket and decided to stop for milk. Came out $125 poorer with everything from plantains to Soy sauce. (Actually, I looked at Soy sauce but decided against it.)

Cheese & cucumber sandwiches for lunch followed by a delicious mug of tea. Then exhaustion grabbed me and I retired to bed and drifted off to sleep. Only to be awoken by two simultaneous cramps. One trying force my left toes down by drawing my calf muscles tight and the other trying to force my right toes up by drawing on the muscles of my right shin.  Since the only way to combat either of those cramps was to make the other cramp worse, I was forced to just clamber out of bed with the help of a bamboo pole l had conveniently positioned by the bed, for just such a task. Using the bamboo to form the third leg of a tripod I just stood upright I til my own weight forced the cramps into submission. But they are both there, just under the surface, waiting for an opportunity to pounce on me again. And now, my two hands have come out and in a show of solidarity, they are starting to cramp as well. 

Aaaargh! Right foot again.... and left foot kicking in too.

Guy at the side of the street leaned in the window and had a long conversation with Mo when we stopped on our way home today. Mo was pleased at the attention and the guy wanted to know if I'd part with him. I said no, I was fattening him up for the BBQ...

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

What Am I Going To Do With You? sung by The Walrus of Love l, Barry White. Unmistakeable voice, who recorded something like 20 albums and a huge number of singles.

Well, Mo and I are in, the door is locked, I've had my shower, he has changed position three times since I started this post... and now he is looking out the window. 

I think I'm going to have to buy a fortnight's worth of those electrolyte replacement packets. I would not say I've been sweating away at a huge rate, certainly not like last summer. But I will try the salts and see if it helps. (Mo now curled up against my back.) If there is no change WRT cramping then I should be confident it isn't that. But who knows for sure if you don't check?

Have not watched any movies today. I did watch a couple TV episodes. And here I will have to reveal my shameful secret: I watch Survivor.

But not in the usual way. I accumulate the episodes until the season is finished then I binge/hate watch them all at once until it is finally revealed to me which narcissistic arsehole is the winner.

It never ceases to amaze me that they can scrounge up a group of 15-20 people to compete, who are so stupid and intellectually deficient that they can't see the woods for the trees as they are repeatedly bashed over the head by the lies and betrayal of those they trust.

The typical scene has some nincompoop saying "I've found an idol and nobody knows but me! This is huge!" 15 seconds later, the nincompoop is spilling the beans to seven of their confidants. Another 15 seconds and they are confessing how they will waste the idol or get it's owner thrown from the game.

Stinking pile of crap as this show usually is, it seems to me that this season is particularly stinky. And I know I've been taken to task for this sort of talk before, but the dumbest "reality" show in the box is now being dumbed down even further because (I guess) the competitors themselves are now dumber than ever before?

For instance, I notice that the tribes now don't have to look too far for materials for shelter-building because they were provided with a huge pile of cut bamboo poles, just lying there to be used. So they simply spread out the poles and lay on them, and calked that their shelter.

One tribe wasn't provided with a "flint" for 11 days so they just did without a fire for that entire time.

And, I've not counted and double-checked but I do believe that there are now more hidden idols, advantages, immunities, special privileges, extra votes, etc, etc, than there are actually players in the game! This will some day lead to the inevitable conclusion: They will go to Tribal Council and everyone will whip out a string of beads or a secret scroll and nobody will go home!

Now, I'm watching for the first time and still have not seen  the latter half of the season so please don't Spoil me! But is it just my imagination? Or is this season particularly rubbish?

Cheese & cucumber sandwiches for dinner as well as lunch, today. I will try for chicken sandwiches tomorrow, with chips on the side. They used to sell something here calked "Hotchup" which was ketchup with significant amounts of pepper in it. Bonnet peppers, if I recall. The company that sold the stuff was Windmill and Mr. Miller was a CB/Ham guy so I went round to his house once (along with about 40 other guys) for an antenna raising party. Anyway, I made my own Hotchup with regular ketchup, pepper, and a few other spices just for fun. I'm hoping it tastes good on chips!

Now listening to Reasons by Earth, Wind & Fire. I like this band but I once worked with a guy who was an absolute fanatic about them. I mean loony tunes!

Here I am thinking that I really don't want to go read my book, all about saving the dead people of the past from the evils of Christopher Columbus! ☹️

But it's 23:59, so perhaps I will post this now and go directly to sleep instead. However, if I do that, I won't pick that book up again, ever. So...

2 hours ago, Netfoot said:

And, I've not counted and double-checked but I do believe that there are now more hidden idols, advantages, immunities, special privileges, extra votes, etc, etc, than there are actually players in the game! This will some day lead to the inevitable conclusion: They will go to Tribal Council and everyone will whip out a string of beads or a secret scroll and nobody will go home!

Now, I'm watching for the first time and still have not seen  the latter half of the season so please don't Spoil me! But is it just my imagination? Or is this season particularly rubbish?

I, too, watch Survivor. For me, back to back 90 minute episodes of Survivor and TAR was too much so I would record TAR to watch in the following days.

I agree about too many hidden idols, twists etc.

IMO, the game/show got better in the second half.

8 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Have not watched any movies today. I did watch a couple TV episodes. And here I will have to reveal my shameful secret: I watch Survivor.

But not in the usual way. I accumulate the episodes until the season is finished then I binge/hate watch them all at once until it is finally revealed to me which narcissistic arsehole is the winner.

It never ceases to amaze me that they can scrounge up a group of 15-20 people to compete, who are so stupid and intellectually deficient that they can't see the woods for the trees as they are repeatedly bashed over the head by the lies and betrayal of those they trust.

The typical scene has some nincompoop saying "I've found an idol and nobody knows but me! This is huge!" 15 seconds later, the nincompoop is spilling the beans to seven of their confidants. Another 15 seconds and they are confessing how they will waste the idol or get it's owner thrown from the game.

Stinking pile of crap as this show usually is, it seems to me that this season is particularly stinky. And I know I've been taken to task for this sort of talk before, but the dumbest "reality" show in the box is now being dumbed down even further because (I guess) the competitors themselves are now dumber than ever before?

For instance, I notice that the tribes now don't have to look too far for materials for shelter-building because they were provided with a huge pile of cut bamboo poles, just lying there to be used. So they simply spread out the poles and lay on them, and calked that their shelter.

One tribe wasn't provided with a "flint" for 11 days so they just did without a fire for that entire time.

I haven't watched Survivor in years as it just got too repetitive and boring. And Jeff Probst is so smarmy! LOL

Just gone 3:00 PM and I'm back in bed. Tortured last night by reflux, Mo dragged me out at first light to open the door and I took that opportunity to build a pillow pyramid and lie on it. Mo snuggled like a pro but I basically didn't surface until Breakfast Meds alarm and snoozed that three times before I actually dragged myself out of bed. 

Watched a Survivor episode and a few YT videos but soon Mo was advising me that It was time for his lunch.

I cooked myself chicken breasts sandwiches and chips. I messed up the chips because all ideas aren't good ideas. Instead of slicing my potato into long, finger-chips, I mandolined it into ⅛" thick disk-chips. They didn't cook evenly so most of them came off the stove with one part tending to overcooked and another part tending to undercooked. Edible but not great. The sandwiches themselves were pretty good and I enjoyed them. 

But now, I'm about to collapse. It feels like it is Sunday but I know it isn't. I should be over the road depositing money at the bank. My pension is supposed to drop on the 30th, the second Welfare cheque can be cashed on the 31st and rent is due on the 1st. I don't want any glitch to occur that delays the rent payment. So I should be making all deposits as soon as possible.

It seems that next Monday, I have an appointment at QEH with the "No biopsy needles" kidney cancer folk. I'm pretty sure there have been no developments whatsoever. So probably another three-month appointment which will take me down to September. 

I wish Mo would come and keep me company for a little while. It wouldn't be for long because I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to be snoozing in a few minutes.....

• Like 1

After a nap of only 10-15 minutes, I was rudely awoken to discover that I was in the middle of a game of Tummy Trampoline... and losing!

My opponent was very pleasant about it (apart from the claws digging into my skin) so I was not angry. After an extended game which I lost (I always do) I wandered out of the bedroom.

I've been watching an extended series of YT videos on how to do a task that I am interested in, so I watched several more videos in the playlist. I also watched at least one more episode of the latest season of Idol-Hunter which as expected continued to demonstrate the stupidity of the show and especially, the competitors. I think one of the benefits of watching this rubbish show is that it reinforces the undeniable fact, that no matter how lousy an episode (or season) of TAR might be, it is undeniably, and by orders of magnitude, the best "reality" show out there. 

After my chicken sandwich lunch, dinner was simple. Cheese on white with mayo, pepper, sliced cucumber and a sprinkle of coarse salt.

Delicious? No. Chemical in taste? Yes. Fuel for the machine? Yes, but moreso filler for the void. I keep telling myself that if I'd only go and buy a pizza or a roti with channa & pumpkin or pumpkin & cabbage... that it would taste great! Because under normal circumstances it would. But realistically, all I would be doing is spending good money to buy metallic tasting food, guaranteed to disappoint.

I wonder if I will ever eat really tasty food again? I wonder if I will ever find out what is causing this? I suspect it's because of the drugs I'm taking in response to the MG. If I'm right, it's for ever. If I only get to see the doctor every 5-6 months it will take forever to titrate the drugs down to levels where the problem goes away. First time around, it took monthly adjustments for over three years. So by that, it will take 15-18 years to get this sorted. And frankly, I don't see the drugs coming down because I still have MG symptoms so it would appear that the dosages need to be increased!

Speaking of drug dosages, today was a relatively wobbly-free day. Perhaps being off the Diovan from yesterday had something to do with it, but I've been having good days and bad days all along so maybe today was just a good day, dosages not withstanding.

On The Road Again by Canned Heat. The distinctive high-pitched vocals for this track (one of their two most famous) were provided by the band's harmonica player rather than their usual lead singer. Amusingly, he also provided the vocals for the other of their top two famous tracks, Going Up the Country. Hmmm. Perhaps.....

Naturally, I did read a bit of my book last night after posting. I do believe the goals and motives of the characters are stupid and pointless, but the book is fairly well written and I continue to read it hoping there will be a twist in the plot that shakes some common sense into the idiots that populate the story. Hoping, but not holding my breath.

It's late and I have not had a shower. I can't decide if to go take one or not. I probably will because I generally do, but for some reason, I just don't feel like getting wet tonight. I've done bugrall all day so it isn't like I'm feeling dirty and stinky, so I don't feel I actually need a shower, except it sort of feels wrong not to have one.

The fact that water pressure for several days has been low, does not make me more keen to take one! I had an issue with water pressure not so long ago and it turned out to be a clogged shower rose. I doubt it can be that again because it was only a short while ago and a rose doesn't clog up that fast. I remember when the rose in the shower was something 10-12" in diameter and gave you a deluge to enjoy. But then we got progress and shower roses ended up the shape and size of a badminton shuttlecock. And have not worked properly since.

Mo was here a moment ago, but is gone again now. The little sweetie loves to cuddle and snuggle. Here he is:

PXL_20240529_041817069.thumb.jpg.2bb1db0001971a2c6239896bbdae4c2e.jpg

Now, I guess I better go and have that shower and then read some more of my book. I've built a pillow pyramid in the bed again, in case the reflux returns. 

Tomorrow, I want to deposit the money in the bank and then go blow some of it on rehydration salts. I think they cost something like $1.15 per packet and one packet is sufficient for two days. So $10 should be enough for 2½ weeks or so. If I still have cramps after that, It isn't because of my electrolytes. 

Right. Shower.

• Love 1

Diovan definitely causes a metallic taste.  It is particularly awful if you drink something carbonated after taking it.  Yuck!  The problem starts almost as soon as you take the first dose, you'll notice it within hours.

I took it to prevent mountain sickness the first time I went to Peru and I decided to take my chances the next time rather than take that stuff.

4 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Diovan definitely causes a metallic taste.  It is particularly awful if you drink something carbonated after taking it.  Yuck!

This is good news!  Now that the Diovan is off the list, perhaps my sense of taste will regularize and food will start tasting like food again! Time will tell......

• Like 1
(edited)

Chilly breeze in the window tonight! 

Found little Teddy lying on the grass while on Garden Patrol, and rescued him from possible drenching come a rain storm. He looked like he'd been rained upon a few times already, poor chap! Then Mo made it known that Teddy was his responsibility, relieved me of his care and carried him back out into the middle of the grass again. I will have to keep a close eye out for Teddy in future and try to transfer him to a more congenial environment. But this will have to be done despite Mo. Because he seems to take umbrage when I try to make such decisions on his behalf. 

(Mo is outside the bedroom window right now, barking up a storm. Some citizen probably dared to walk past the house...)

Listening to The Joker by the Steve Miller Band.

(Mo is now standing on the bedside table, looking out the window. And now, he is curled up on my pillow pyramid.)

Deposited the money in the bank this morning, and went to the pharmacy to get a dozen packets of rehydration salts. 

I hate being ripped off. Especially when it turns out that if I'd just been paying attention I'd have picked up on it in time to prevent it.

(Mo has left the building.)

They handed me 12 packets which looked distinctly different to the ones I'd got before for $1.15 so I said "Wait! Those aren't the ones I usually get." Turns out these are unflavoured whereas the other ones were "Orange". Any difference in price? No. Ok well, proceed. The Orange ones bear no resemblance to orange flavour anyhow... Got home and checked the bill to discover that these different packets are $2.27 each! Arrrgh! Crooks!

Anyway, while in the shop I also bought some fruit (Gala apples and some bananas), some of which I had for lunch. And a pack of spaghetti, only when I got home the spaghetti had mutated into fettuccine. I like fettuccine so I had it for dinner. Sauce made from minced beef, onion, pak choy and tomatoes. It tasted very nice but I couldn't eat it all (my eye bigger than my belly) so Mo got about ⅓ of the bowl as desert, after his own dinner. 

Apart from this morning's escapades and following my YT how-to series, plus watching a couple more episodes of Fools-On-An-Island, I've done little today. Still searching for book #1 of a series I want to read. Got books 2-6 but can't start until book #1 shows up. Thought I'd gotten lucky this afternoon when a 2nd hand dealer said she thought.... But alas, she called back later today she had been mistaken. 

Must say that when I was out and about today I strongly contemplated buying a roti and bringing it home for lunch. Rotis have changed much since I was a lad, and all for the better! When I was a boy, there were only a few traditional fillings. Your choice was beef, chicken or shrimp. And these with, or without potato. An all-potato roti was a possible option, but usually for the kids only. Nowadays, anything goes. The traditional fillings, of course, but also lamb, pork... even salt-fish. And as an alternative to potato you might find sweet potato, yam, pumpkin, okra, melongene, cabbage and a lot more on offer as fillings. I have even been offered fried plantain in my roti. And I've seen someone order a roti with rice in it!

Now, while I am in favour of the new options for filling, I strongly believe that the basic filling must be a curry of some sort. Those who have beef stew and mashed potato roti are just trying to start some sort of holy war and are not to be tolerated!

(Mo just ninja'd his way up into the bed behind me and kicked me forcefully in the behind! Little Monster!)

Personally, I like curried boneless chicken and I prefer curried channa to curried potato. Pumpkin adds sweetness and cabbage adds crunch. You can keep adding stuff but the roti skin is only going to be so big. The more things you add the less of each thing you will get. Or the more supercritical the final roti will be. 

(Mo has departed again.)

Speaking of the skin, you can have paratha or dhalpuri. They taste very similar but the dhalpuri skin contains a layer of powdered peas. I think it is crushed splitpeas but I'm not sure. Most people find dhalpuri tasted better but the skin is much more fragile. I will actually consider how messy I am willing to get when deciding if to have dhalpuri. Because your roti is always likely to burst, especially if you've gone supercritical with your fillings. And if it's dhalpuri as well, then you can count on getting curry from elbows to eyebrows. So I save the dhalpuri for when I'm taking the roti somewhere I can make an unholy mess and clean myself up after.

My mom used to say that dhalpuri roti was "back steps food". Best eaten sitting on the back steps of your house so when you are done you can clean yourself up with the garden hose! And hose down the steps themselves while you're at it!

Why all this talk of roti? I hope this doesn't mean I am going to go out and buy one (like I nearly did today). I fear the money would be wasted. A good roti ain't cheap and it would be a shame to scrape together the money only to be disappointed because it had no taste.

But if the elimination of Diovan from my diet helps in that regard, a roti from IV Play Deli or from Indian Grill might be considered. Or even from Chutney's at a pinch. But I think Diovan not withstanding, the steroids are playing at least some part in my wonky palate.

Wandered into the kitchen this afternoon with Mo on my heels. Can't remember what I was doing (brewing tea?) but quickly noticed that Mo was listening to the fridge. So I started listening to the fridge. Which was going "Squeak! Squeak! Squeak, squeak!" So I pulled the fridge out into the middle of the kitchen and two mice came racing out at top speed and vanished under the sink, never to be seen again. 

That puppy of mine was completely taken aback, and did nothing. Useless drain on resources! I mean, he could have caught at least one of them, right? So now the fridge is out in the middle of the kitchen while I figure out what to do next. And clean out the mess of stuff that has accumulated behind it, having fallen down the back.

I will also have to reduce the rodent population as best I can, too. (But not my little Mouse.) I do my best to avoid poisoned bait to safeguard my boys from risk. So it may be traps will have to be acquired. Buddy was an excellent mouser when he was in the mood, but Mo, apparently, not so much. 

Midnight. Time for me to call it quits. Or go brew up another mug of tea. Glucose this morning was a "perfect" 5.0 mmol/L so no problem there. But do I want 16 oz. of extra liquid sloshing around in there while I perch on my pillow pyramid?

Where has that nasty, little butt-kicking beast got to?

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 2
(edited)

Tried to post this photo last night, but couldn't connect to the server. So. Late, but:

PXL_20240530_054928763.thumb.jpg.54cf7a3685c345aa023cc994fc7c6f3b.jpg

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Have a look at this photo:

PXL_20240530_223427505.thumb.jpg.d541fe02cc8543747971cd5fb6358dc0.jpg

My two hands. Check out the little fingers. In order to get the little fingers into closer proximity with each other so the left hand is on the right side and vice versa.

The right little finger (on the left of the photo) lies alongside the ring finger. But the left little finger does not lie along the ring finger.

No amount of effort on my part will make that left little finger move alongside the ring finger. It just will not obey my mental command. 

I have another photo for you to look at. (Left is left and right is right in this photo.)

PXL_20240530_232708949.thumb.jpg.950110eaf230d6dbfbdcbb80a9789865.jpg

Right little finger is curled up tightly with the nail pointing down towards the palm. Left little finger will not curl to the same degree. Also, left ring finger will not curl to the same degree as the right. 

Both fingers will not obey my commands and both fingers are considerably weaker than expected. 

I had added several extra paragraphs at this point but they were eaten. 😡

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1

Searched for Teddy on Garden Patrol but no sign. I think Mo must have him under the van. Either that or inside the house, probably under the bed. 

I'm wet from the shower and there is a good breeze in the window. Mo is outside somewhere.

I hooked the balance of the fettuccine for dinner and added some mozzarella and some milk to the sauce, which came out creamy, gooey and nice. But I just couldn't eat it all. It was regrettably insipid. Mo got about ½ the bowl. And that's on top of his normal dinner!

New York Minute by The Eagles. This cut is a live performance from their Hell Freezes Over tour. 

My pension was due today and so far I have not received the automatic notification from the bank. I won't start to worry yet, because they can be slow in sending out the notifications. So it may have arrived today after all. But I have to pay rent on Saturday morning so it had better arrive by tomorrow! Mind you, if I write the cheque Saturday the landlord won't be able to cash it until Monday anyway, but he is the very sort who will be at the bank on Monday at 8:01 AM. And if they have not deposited the money by close of day on Friday, it is unlikely they will have it in my account that early Monday morning.

Also, the second of those welfare cheques is dated tomorrow. I can cash it at the post office and deposit it tomorrow. But it is far less than required to pay rent, so it won't help in that regard.

Watched a silly movie starring Mark Wahlberg. Also finished the remaining episodes of the latest season of Wanna-Know-Wotcha-Playin-For? I really don't have a high opinion of that show. I watch for a silly reason that is years obdolete but I still find myself saving the episodes and bingeing them all at the end. I also watched a few 30-minute episodes of a show called The Bear or something like that. It's about a first class chef taking over the operation of the family's little sandwich shop. The standard of operation and cuisine he wants to impose on the place is at odds with the simple fare they are accustomed to producing. It looks like it might be interesting, but like I said: 30-minute episodes so a few more will be needed for me to decide if it's worth sticking with.

Mixed up 2 liters of what I will call "Rehydration Lime Squash" today and have been drinking it off and on. Either I'm getting accustomed to the stuff, or this more expensive, unflavoured variety is more palatable than when I tried it before with the orange flavoured variety. The mix came out like regular lime squash but with a somewhat salty taste to it. Not exactly delicious but not particularly unpleasant. (Mo just arrived, gave me a wet kiss, and is now peering out the window.) Anyway, half consumed, the remainder tomorrow and then I mix up another 2L for the weekend.

I wonder if I could mix up a 2L bottle of "Rehydration Chocolate Milk" instead? People put salt in/on chocolate dishes so why not a chocolate drink? But also, what would Dr. Kristi say if she discovered I was drinking a liter of chocolate milk a day? "Rehydration Iced Coffee" probably wouldn't work. Salty coffee dies not sound like a plan. Iced tea, ditto. Contrary opinions welcome!

You know, seeing as I'm going to hell in a hand basket anyway, why can't I drink as much chocolate milk or Coke as I want to? (Mo has departed.) Not that I can afford to drink much of things like that anyway....

Reached the end of my YT how-to series (71 episodes) and the job isn't done yet. So now I have to keep going back each week to see if there is a new installment. 🙁

I didn't realize it was so late. After midnight and my right hand is hurting. Further to earlier post on state of left hand: the hand is weak to start with and with two fingers essentially non-functional, it is now worse than ever. When I try to grip anything - say a large pan full of fettuccine sauce, I'm holding it with the thumb, index & middle finger alone. I find myself trying to use the other (right) hand instead but now that one is suffering from over work. (Mo just jumped into bed and has made a nest for himself between my knees. I don't like that setup... OK, he has moved to lie near the window and mean on my tummy instead.)

I was just congratulating myself on not having any cramps today and the left hand just gave me a little twinge. But one day of drinking RLS wouldn't make any difference, even assuming that lost electrolytes were responsible for the cramps. (Mo has now moved to the foot of the bed.)

Right. I'll call it quits now and we'll see what tomorrow brings. Agh! A twinge of cramp in the left calf...

• Love 1

Woke up this morning with a splitting headache! I don't get headaches often and when I do it is usually mild and at the side or rear of my head. This was like I had an axe embedded in my forehead. 

On our way out to cash the cheque I realized it might be helpful to actually take the cheque with me... So, I drove back home to get it. Rather than re-park in the garage I stopped the van in the street outside. Teddy was lying right in the middle of the van's usual parking space so I was able to rescue him. However, his purpose in life is to entertain Mo, so he will have to be given back. And his fate will once more be in the hands (mouth) of Mozie-pozie. Forgot to stop at the bank on the way home to deposit the money from the cheque. Not firing on all cylinders today....

Hungry - but unsure what to prepare for a meal. I have some salt bread but there isn't much I can put in them to make cutters. Fried eggs maybe? I should consider boiling some eggs and keeping them in the fridge so I can pull out an egg and eat it as a quick meal, or stick it in a salt bread to make a cutter.

Hey, maybe I can boil 6-8 eggs, make cutters for lunch with an egg in each and just leave the remainder in the fridge until called for. Like for dinner tonight when I feel just as lazy and addle-pated as now.

• Love 1
(edited)

Boiled some eggs. Made some cutters. Salt bread, mayo, pepper sauce, salt and a boiled egg. 

Which leads me to the subject of: Salt.

I buy "loose salt". The shop buys it in 55 lb. bags and weighs it out into packets that sell for between $1.00 and $1.50 depending on weight. I can buy brand-name salt for twice the money but why? I've heard of "Kosher salt" but I've never seen it for sale. I understand that it is a coarser grained salt which for some reason is supposedly better. (Maybe it is, but since I've never encountered the stuff...) 

When you buy loose salt, it might be fine or coarse. The latest batch I bought is quite coarse and that's what I put on my egg cutters just now. But I don't like it. I get a crunchy egg cutters, which inevitably leads to mental images of shell-fragments in my cutter.

Also, and apropos of nothing, my phone no longer wants to connect to my wifi here in the house. It will connect if I tell it to, but standing two feet from the wifi router it has zero signal strength. And 2 minutes later it has disconnected. Look: it's just done it again. 

ETA: Rebooted the phone and wifi is back, maximum strength. 😏

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 2
(edited)

Had ramen noodles for dinner, then off on Garden Patrol with Mo reluctantly following behind me. I wondered if I would find poor Teddy out on the grass, but I needn't have worried. What I did find out there on the grass was my expensive, 3M polycarbonate face shield, worn to protect my physiog from injury when using volatile tools like the lathe and grinder. The face shield had been dismantled in a less than professional way and I'm not sure if it can be reassembled to such a degree that it can still be used. I will look at that tomorrow, in the full light of day. 

Anyway, I'm in bed, the door is locked and the nasty, little beast took one look at me approaching with a bamboo walking staff in hand and fled, out into the dark, just before the door was closed for the night.

No, I had no plans to wallop him with the staff but if it looked like a LART to him it's most likely because he knew full well he had done wrong, probably before he had even done it. So I hope he's outside worrying about if he will ever be allowed back into the house again. Or if I will drive him up into St. Lucy, throw him out of the van and drive home without him!

Bought $5 in rodent "bait" today. Essentially a poison. Don't like using that stuff with a puppy in the house. But can't have roving packs of mice living behind the fridge. So I am deploying the stuff very carefully so as to pose no risk to Mo. Although right now I feel like giving him a bowlful of the stuff for dinner....

Watched a silly romcom today whose name I can't even remember. He was an idiot, she was kind of pretty and the supporting cast was mediocre at best. Also watched a few more episodes about the chef in the sandwich shop. 

You know, there are one or two YT content creators that are in the food-prep arena. I won't call them chefs because some insist they are not. But they have one thing in common: they leave me feeling hungry. That TV series is the same. Nowadays, even if I had the money, it wouldn't make any sense for me to go to a restaurant and get me some #1, ace tucker liked that, because it would all taste like sucking a big, old penny anyway. And by penny, I mean a 2¢ piece like we have not used around here for decades.

I have five boiled eggs in the fridge and two liters of rehydration lime squash as well. When I was cashing my cheque at the post office this morning I thought about popping next door and getting a bag of Milo crystals so I could try rehydration chocolate milk but decided against it. 

Never did go bank the cash. Monday I visit QEH to see kidney-guy but I'm pretty sure there is no good news there, so I will be told to suck salt and come again in another three months. Tuesday will be Book Tent day, which will only take Mo a few minutes to touch base with the ladies. So I can stop at the bank on the way home from there.

Oh crap! Monday I'm supposed to go for a blood pressure reading at Dr. Kristi! Every Monday, apparently. I wonder if I can get them lazy bastards at QEH to do it there and let me WhatsApp her the numbers? 'Course, that way I wouldn't get to see her but I don't usually get to see her anyway!

Pension did come in today, so I can pay rent tomorrow in safety. Pension drops every 4 weeks so the date creeps a couple days a month. I never like it when it creeps right up to the end of the month. Like this month it was due on Thursday and rent to be paid Saturday morning. I am happier when it drops a week before rent is due. That way if there is an issue, it can be resolved without my having to appeal to the landlord. Because he is an ass.

I miss having a snuggly puppy curled up against my back. But it's probably a good thing he's outside. I just might strangle the damned Monster if I could get my hands on him right now. Because I'm absolutely certain he knew he was doing wrong when he did it, but he went ahead and did it anyway. I should have taken a belt to his butt and given him more lashes than the Royal Navy! 

It only remains to be seen if he will be barking under the window in the foreday morning, asking to be let in. I'd be happier if I opened up around 7:30 but saw no sign of him until time for his lunch!

Custard Pie by Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes. An unusual album recorded live at The Greek theatre. One of those pairings you wouldn't think would necessarily work, but...

Ok, time for me to go take my shower, douse the lights and try to sleep. Might even read a few pages of my book in between. I'm still a little hungry even after the ramen noodles but I will avoid going into the kitchen and staring mindlessly into the fridge. 

I bet you think "fridge" is short for "refrigerator" but around here, amongst olde fartes at least, it's short for "Frigidaire", the make popular with consumers when the first refrigerators were introduced, long ago. My Aunty Ju referred to her fridge as "the Frigidaire" until her dying day, even though she had switched to General Electric decades before. (Her first name was Julia. Same as my mom.)

Will test blood glucose in the morning, I suppose.

Shower, sleep.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 1

Regarding the mice, I hate using poison too. Did you know there are bucket lids that have trap doors? My neighbor uses these. She fills the bucket with water, snaps the lid on and puts a tasty morsel on top of the lid. The mouse falls thru and drowns. Your hardware stores may have them. Here are some from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bucket+trap+for+rats&hvadid=557271693320&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9026841&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=10298463549223670248&hvtargid=kwd-326181458593&hydadcr=7473_13184008&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_2tylnkn7ly_e

(edited)
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

Did you know there are bucket lids that have trap doors?

I've made these at home in the past. When they work they work very well, but sometimes they just lose favour with the mice and they simply stop working.

Yesterday I bought two packets of bait. Each bag contains 75-80 (maybe?) round, green bait-pellets, about ½" i diameter. Last night, I located a suitable container, which was the end-cap for a 4" PVC pipe. I washed and dried it carefully, and last thing before bed, I put maybe 50 green pellets in it and placed it well out of Mo's reach, on the back of the kitchen counter.

This morning, as soon as i remembered it, I went in to see if there was any sign that the pellets had been disturbed at all. They were all gone! All 50-ish pellets, each one the size of a small marble. All gone.

I will repeat the process for the next few nights. I would expect that by the time my bait runs out, the rodents will have stopped supping on the stuff. Either because they are all dead, or because they have realized that the green pellets are not that tasty. If the last of the pellets get eaten, I will buy another bag or two. If the stuff keeps disappearing after that, I will have to assume it just doesn't work, and all I'm doing is providing a buffet for the mice.

Meanwhile, I am also looking at the possibility of creating homemade traps. There are literally hundreds of designs online. When I was looking for the bait (no longer allowed to be sold in supermarkets) I also looked at traps. The only traps I could see were "humane". Sorry, I'm not interested in a trap that catches the mice unhurt so I can turn them loose in the garden and watch them scurry back into the house faster than I can. No. I want a trap that drops a four-pound sledge hammer on their heads and makes their brains come flying out of their ears!

Blood glucose this morning: 4.7 mmol/L.

Now, I'm going to go check on Mo, because although i am quite certain he can't get at the stuff, there is poison being used in the house so I want to make sure to keep an eye on him periodically and be ready to rush him to the vet in the event he starts acting in any way abnormal.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 1
(edited)

What did I have for lunch today? Did I have lunch today? No memory of any such meal. For dinner I boiled potatoes, carrots and a plantain, meanwhile I fried onions, chicken chunks, pak choy and cucumbers. When the boiled veggies were ready, I added them to the fry-up for a little while for the flavours to meld a bit. Ate half of the resulting dish, and left the other half for lunch tomorrow, but I ate all of the plantain and will cook another one tomorrow to add back into the remaining leftovers. May add something else (red beans?) to alter the taste a bit. The meal tonight tasted OK. A faint metallic tinge but pretty good. Witness that there was nothing left for monti Mo to tax by time I was done.

It pissed with rain half the afternoon, with Mo running back and forth across the front of the gate, barking at the neighbor's puppy who had escaped and was playing out in the rain, with my neighbor not in the least inclined to get wet fetching him back inside. It occurred to me that sooner or later Mo would be coming into the house so I ran for a towel... but it was sooner rather than later. Before I could waylay him, Mo was in the bed, as soaking wet as if he had just been taking a sea-bath. In a split second, the entire bed, including pillows, looked like I'd thrown a bucket of water over it. 😠 Mo can usually add a bit of drama to your day without much effort on his part. Anyhow, I toweled him down thoroughly until he was quite dry, then I kept on toweling him, because he likes to be toweled down and, well, I like doing it for him. But of course he complicated the process by insisting on standing under my thigh and not moving to grant access to his back.

Watched more of my sandwich shop episodes today. At 30 minutes they go pretty quick. One episode, the Sous took a day going from one fine restaurant to the next, ordering and eating selection of imaginatively unconventional dishes, to seek inspiration and to envigorate her palate.  And I mean lots ofc different restaurants. To the point where I asked myself, 1) how is she paying for all of this, 2) where is she putting it, does she have a hollow leg? But the dishes all looked tasty and made my mouth water. Maybe that's what I had for lunch? Watching this episode?

I must say though, that while I won't deny it all might taste fabulous, I am not a fan of four small ravioli on a plate, artistically splattered with green paste and priced at $85, when I could get all four of them on the fork and thus eat them all in a single mouthful.

By the way, the sandwich shop has been closed and is being renovated into a proper restaurant.

Listening to Janis Ian singing At Seventeen. I believe this was a breakthrough track for her. 

More green pellets in the kitchen tonight. Unusually, when I went in there last thing before bed, Mo was sitting in the middle of the kitchen, staring up onto the counter. I suspect he saw a mouse and was hoping it would be stupid enough to come down to where he could reach it! I put out the bait and closed the gate to keep Mo out of the kitchen during the night.

He was here a moment ago. Stepped up onto the bedside table, peered out of the window for a while, then left. But not before sticking his nose in my glass of water and slurping up half of it. I don't know why I put up with him. Probably because I'd have to pay someone to take him off my hands!

Wow! 1:27 in the AM! I didn't realize. Right, I'm off to sleep. 

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 1
(edited)

After midnight, again. Try A Little Tenderness by Three Dog Night. Mo and I are showered and tucked up in bed.

Want to get away early in the morning. QEH appointment is for 8:30 and I want to stop at Dr. Kristi and get my blood pressure tested first, but she opens her doors at 8:00. And I want to leave Mo at home because who knows how long those arseholes in Urology will keep me waiting tomorrow? And getting the van out while ensuring that Mo stays in is usually a bit of a chore.

Had leftover veggies and chicken for lunch with red beans and another plantain. Tasted almost good! Some extra pak choy and cucumber plus another plantain added to leftovers of the leftovers gave me dinner as well, but it just didn't taste right. I think I may have to abandon food in the normal sense and stick to things that I know I can eat without having to deal with weird taste issues. Pasta/noodles, bread, eggs... Even cheese tastes funny these days. 

Although.... I have had a thought. I do most of my cooking in a small number of pans and pots, and maybe one of them is somehow tainting the food? Maybe I need to go somewhere and eat food cooked by someone else, and see if their food has a metallic taste.

Finished my short-episode restaurant series, but apparently the new series starts at the end of this month. I tell you it can be difficult to watch because some of the food is really mouthwatering to look at. But honestly, a good cheeseburger with sweet potato chips would be just as mouthwatering and I know exactly where to go and get them!

Mo is being very affectionate tonight. He is usually affectionate but some nights he is very kissy-kissy. MY e u got some honey on my face? Don't see how. I have not touched honey in weeks and I'm just out of the shower with my face all washed anyhow. Maybe he's just glad that he was able to fool me into giving him two dinners tonight? He requested his dinner early, around six. Then he requested dinner again around 10:30 and probably thinks he pulled the wool over my eyes. But I just figured that if he is hungry again/still and we have food to spare, no harm in letting him have it.

(More kisses.)

Anyway, better set an early alarm and slope off to sleep now. Want to be at Dr. Kristi when she opens up in the morning which means leaving home early.

Or I could simply put the blood pressure test off until Tuesday. Nothing magical about Mondays. In fact, I think I will do just that. 

But I will still slope off now.

ETA: Second load of green bait was completely gone this morning so a third batch had been laid out tonight. 

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 1
(edited)

QEH: 8:51. Just come from Dr. Kristi where I had my blood pressure taken. Traffic is absolutely crazy, which is why I normally avoid leaving home before nine. Clauder says my BP is good and the numbers she gave seem a little higher than the ones from last week, but I don't understand blood pressure readings, so I can't comment.

Got up a little early and got the van out. Mo now at home "On Guard" because I have no idea if I will be here minutes or hours, and I didn't want him stuck in the van for a potentially lengthy period.

QEH: 8:56. Nurse just came by. Have I seen Dr. Nebhnani before? Well, I saw him walking by, but last time I was here I spoke to Dr. Kumar, I think it is. Nurse says that they have lost my notes. (Didn't I hear this last time?) I mentioned that they had lost them last time too but they found them in less than a minute when they thought I'd left. Who referred you? Dr. K. did. In April, last year, 15 months ago. Nurse wanders off.

Good thing I brought my book.

Forgot to mention, I'm feeling a bit "crook" today, as I believe the folks from Oz like to say....

QEH: 11:03. Notes found. Consulting new doctor who knows nothing about anything.

QEH: 11:25. Leaving now. Come again in 3 months; meanwhile a biopsy will be arranged and they will call me. I'm holding my breath.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 1

Had to go get a copy of the imagery/disk from the CT I did last March, which I will deliver to Dr. Pembleton in the next couple of days. She says she wants to arrange for another CT to be done and will call with scheduling info. Also she wants to arrange a biopsy which she will also schedule with me via phone.

Stopped on the way home and bought fried chicken and chips. Metallic taste. Mild, but unmistakable.

For the third night in a row the green bait pellets were all eaten.

Feeling poorly indeed. May retire to bed.

5 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Had to go get a copy of the imagery/disk from the CT I did last March, which I will deliver to Dr. Pembleton in the next couple of days. She says she wants to arrange for another CT to be done and will call with scheduling info. Also she wants to arrange a biopsy which she will also schedule with me via phone.

Stopped on the way home and bought fried chicken and chips. Metallic taste. Mild, but unmistakable.

For the third night in a row the green bait pellets were all eaten.

Feeling poorly indeed. May retire to bed.

Hopefully they will get all of this done for you timely! I hope you feel better. 

I do not understand how it is that I simply can not put a glass of water on the bedside table without

PXL_20240604_035123413.thumb.jpg.5e0e70438975c2f00ef9532e364e304f.jpg

You go in there and the place is deserted. You put the glass down and within a nanosecond.... And it's worse with a glass of milk. 

Left the house in a hurry this morning, forgetting to take morning meds. So I took them at lunchtime, lunchtime meds at dinnertime and dinnertime meds at midnight. The glass of water was to wash down the dinnertime meds with. (Yellow vial with white top just visible between red plastic glass and green mozzie repellant unit.)

Felt terrible all day. And it isn't because I didn't take my meds. I did take them all, only a little late. Also, I've skipped meds for a whole day in the past without experiencing this.

Took a long, troubled nap and woke feeling unrested. Didn't feel I needed to rest but had hoped I'd sleep off what ever it is that's affecting me. Fail!

Also, been drinking rehydration lime juice for the last three days but still battling a cramp in my left calf right now. I bought a dozen packets and they make a liter each. I'm drinking a liter a day, so just under a fortnight's worth. If I'm still suffering after 12 days of rehydration, then I doubt low electrolytes are the problem. 

Watched the movie Equilibrium, starring Christian Bale and Taye Diggs as Grammaton Clerics, highest level of state enforcement in a dystopian future where feelings are not permitted. From 2002, this movie is obviously influenced by the style and cinematography of The Matrix  (1999). If you enjoyed The Matrix you might like & enjoy Equilibrium. But in that case, you've prolly already seen it!

Listening to Gangsta's Paradise by Coolio. Not a fan of this artist particularly, nor of the genre as a rule. But this track is worth a listen. Unlike most of it's peers, in parts I think it even qualifies as music! (Prolly the parts they stole from Stevie Wonder.....)

Took my book with me to QEH this morning and allllmost finished it before I got called in to see a brand new doctor. I have essentially reached the conclusion of the book but I will not say anything at this point because I have not actually finished it as yet. I know it's late but it's literally only a handful of pages, so I will try to finish it tonight. 

Tomorrow is the Ark Book Tent and I will take Mo to visit. His visits don't last very long; just a couple of minutes with the ladies making a bit of a fuss over him. But hey, if I'm at the Book Tent, I might even buy a book to read. (I have $4 in my wallet but that's about the usual price for a book there, unless I find it in hardback. Most hardbacks are priced at $1.)

Now playing: Thinking Voyager 2 Type Things by Bob Geldof. A good song with unusual lyrics. 33+ years ago when I was in the same QEH, bandaged from head to foot (my family found a small, unbandaged patch of skin behind one ear that they used to touch to comfort me) and receiving skin grafts several times a day, I had a small collection of tapes and this album was one of them. Visitors would change the tapes for me because I was unable to do so myself. Later, a psychologist came to examine me and was very surprised to discover that the experience had not driven me bonkers. Really. I think the music helped a great deal, just by giving me something else to focus my mind on, beside my painful and unpleasant circumstances. When not high as a kite on Special K.

The worst part of the  experience was when the "Government Boots" (Defense Force troops) came to the hospital multiple times a day and took me back to their base for 3-4 hour torture sessions. It got to the point where I'd start to cry and beg, when I heard those boots clumping down the corridor, approaching my room.

Blood glucose again tomorrow? Why not? I had one mug of tea for the day, at 10:00 PM. and it didn't taste too bad. Hopefully, one mug won't "fortify" the test results. 

Anyway, you know what? I've said enough for one day. Maybe too much.

• Love 1

Finished my book. Got up to pee. Returned to find my pillows occupied:

PXL_20240604_051853720.thumb.jpg.9a9183b4821a4b1b32a69898b2ccaafb.jpg

I wonder if he will let me have one of the pillows?

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1