Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Welcome Mat

• Start Topic

Years ago, I started work on a purpleheart box. I shaped the top with a lip to accept the reverse shape on the lid, and began hollowing. I was a fair way from reaching the bottom with the sides still very thick, when I messed up with the chisel, and the catch was violent enough to rip a chunk out of the rim of the box. Scared the pants off me!

I threw the piece on the corner, and (obviously) never made the lid. I just tound found it in it's dusty resting place, and with the bandsaw, I cut away the piece of broken rim. Here it stands, next to the other piece that is soaking up some UV.

20221126_151729135.thumb.jpg.1108c0c1e328870d895a66c34cf72244.jpg

First of all, look at the colour difference! Both these pieces were obtained the same day from the same source and probably cut from the same bauk of timber. 

I am pretty sure, if I can finish hollowing this piece, and do a light skim-cut on the outer surface, I can stand this one in the sun as well, and bring up some of the lovely purple back to the surface. It takes oxygen and sunlight (well, UV light, anyway) to bring out the characteristics colour, and both of those things are free.

But should I bother? The completed piece will have the rim altered (no lid is forthcoming), will be deeper in the bottom, and the wall thickness will be somewhat reduced as well. This last will make the saw-cut flat areas less broad. 

Do you think this will make an interesting piece? Something someone would want to take home and use? I think at very least it's a bit of a conversation starter, and that might lead to the sale of something else, even if this piece itself never sells.

What I would do is mark it up with a high price to convince people it is a really special piece and not just a fatal mistake from the past brought back to life!

Wotcha think?

My mate Jim was just here. He was up at the market this morning, and he is very close with Alison who is the organizer. (Close enough that Jim sometimes comes around and collects the money for her.) Apparently, people were going to her and asking "Where is the ugly guy with the wooden bowls?!??" Alison then asked Jim, and he told her I was beavering away at home, making stock to bring next time. Hopefully, next Saturday, 3rd. Then, if it goes well and I can get more stuff together, again two weeks later on the 17th. I think the following week (24th) might be a little close to the big holiday, don't you think?

Anyway, that block of purpleheart won't hollow itself...

Edited by Netfoot
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

So, I started hollowing with a freshly sharpened chisel and a light hand, having tightened the chuck as tight as I could, and stabilized the top with the live center. The bowl immediately leapt off the lathe and attacked me. I ducked. It bounced off several items before hitting the ground hard.

Lip chipped and outer surface severely marred. Had to reshape the outside, cut back the lip a hair, and in the process, lose the colour I spent half the afternoon arranging! Well, to be honest, I spent half the afternoon dozing in a chair while the piece arranged it's own colour. But you get my point, I'm sure. 

20221126_170106938.thumb.jpg.c699f70ede9fc2dd339c0fc3e1c9eb3b.jpg

Anyhoo, hollowing is proceeding as you can see. I have gone in about half way, but the sides slope inwards from the rim. With the central nub and live center in the way, I can't get the chisel into position to do any more, so the central nub must be removed and the live center moved completely out of my way before I can thin down the sides lower down, and go deeper on depth. With the loss of support from the live center, of course, the chance of it attacking me again increases... So I'm done for the day. One piece from yesterday completed (the kabukalli saki bowl) and two partially completed pieces waiting to entertain me tomorrow: this bowl, and the old one with the angled cut on one side. It would be nice to finish them tomorrow. That would bring me up to 12 pieces ready for Brighton. 

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Do you think this will make an interesting piece? Something someone would want to take home and use? I think at very least it's a bit of a conversation starter, and that might lead to the sale of something else, even if this piece itself never sells.

What I would do is mark it up with a high price to convince people it is a really special piece and not just a fatal mistake from the past brought back to life!

Wotcha think?

My mate Jim was just here. He was up at the market this morning, and he is very close with Alison who is the organizer. (Close enough that Jim sometimes comes around and collects the money for her.) Apparently, people were going to her and asking "Where is the ugly guy with the wooden bowls?!??" Alison then asked Jim, and he told her I was beavering away at home, making stock to bring next time. Hopefully, next Saturday, 3rd. Then, if it goes well and I can get more stuff together, again two weeks later on the 17th. I think the following week (24th) might be a little close to the big holiday, don't you think?

I think it would be very interesting! And I think it's great that people are asking if you are coming back. And a little extra money never hurt, especially this close to Christmas 

• Love 2

Well, not a productive day. Only the saki cup completed the whole day long. And yes, the two purpleheart pieces are partially complete but there is no guarantee they will ever be finished. They could self-destruct at any time. But then again, I suppose the same is true of anything that sits on a lathe and sees me approaching with chisel in hand...

Mo is using me as a cushion. He is leaning back on me much as I am leaning back on a heap of pillows. He's such a sweetie, and was so pleased to see Jim this afternoon. Given half a chance Mo would be a very sociable puppy. 

We did our Garden Patrol tonight and would you believe it? There was a crapaud in the garden! I have not carried the crapaud bucket for months, but I knew just where it was, and in a blink the interloper was over the wall to wander the streets far from Mosey and never to be seen again.

I don't remember what I had for lunch but dinner was a bowl of leftover gloop eaten with a spoon. Really do need to go get a few groceries. Just some basic items, really. Red butter. Salt. Crackers. Maybe some fresh vegetables. But the economy is so crappy those few items will probably set me back $200! And I have some ideas for things that might sell at the market but I need to buy supplies to make them. So, groceries? Or...

One thing I think might sell are wooden shells. I made one before as a present, and it is an interesting process and the result can be quite attractive. Unfortunately, they take a lot of time to make. It's quite an effort!

Mo has now curled up behind me,cleaning on my back and doing something energetic. I think he's polishing his sphericals. Or killing fleas. I hope it's the former. Oh lordy! He's on form tonight. One minute he's looking out the window,

20221127_002232628.thumb.jpg.9066c0fa6901ae062a94f32ac897b746.jpg

and the next he's playing Tummy Trampoline and chewing my face.

20221127_002520161.thumb.jpg.d1cedb15f74d6f412e79352140f17ace.jpg

And when I least expect it he pounced on my finger; the one with the plaster on it.

Now, he has rushed outside and is barking at something - no, he's back again. 

I will get another chapter of my book read, maybe. Then I'll grab some Zzz...

20221127_004556475.thumb.jpg.ea943737a6638de6219cb5bdb9dc38b4.jpg

16 hours ago, andidante said:

I think it would be very interesting! And I think it's great that people are asking if you are coming back. And a little extra money never hurt, especially this close to Christmas 

I think you ought to consider placing a little sign on your table at the next sale:

'Like my work?  Interested in larger pieces?  See my tables on display at XYZ store in town.'

Get a couple of photos of the tables on your phone to show anyone who asks.  The guy at the store is not going to mind a bit if you help find buyers for the consignment pieces.  People looking for little wooden bowls might be eager to purchase tables too.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, Notabug said:

I think you ought to consider placing a little sign on your table at the next sale...

That's a very good idea!

2 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

That shell is stunning.

Unfortunately, they take a long time to make. I might start work on one and when ever it's finished add it to my "stock". I could work on it at night maybe, a little at a time. I'd have to charge a high price, though... I will post a couple links to show you how fabulous they can be!

Bad news about my two purpleheart pieces. The one with the angled cut disintegrated when I tried to finish the hollowing process. Not really surprising, I suppose, considering that there was a lot of "air" cutting involved. 

The other piece was nearly finished hollowing when the foot shattered and it went flying. You can see the broken foot here:

20221127_105821916.thumb.jpg.22d521756c6d645e075fe94fba69ec08.jpg

And staring down it's throat:

20221127_130036705.thumb.jpg.5617387950f0071d4a138c4735d0e9e9.jpg

Now I have tomthink.of a way to rescue this piece, if possible. And I am coming to the conclusion that deep, narrow vessels are not a good idea for me. It is too difficult to stick s chisel 4" to 5x into a vessel that is narrower than it is deep. I keep bruising my knuckles on the opposite side of the vessel when trying to hollow the deeper section. And if you keep your knuckles clear, you have to stick the tool way down inside without support or guidance at the tip, which inevitably leads to disaster.

Here is the web page of Steve Garrison, the inventor of the wood shell technique. You will have to admit his stuff is magical. 

And here is a play-list of YT videos where he explains how to go about it in pretty great detail.

• Love 2

After a long struggle, I ended up with a small bowl. For a while I didn't even think I'd get this much of a piece. But there it is, my total production for the day. 

20221127_165832612.thumb.jpg.5a09be05715c90f57da1d9fb02a66090.jpg

It's been sanded but no finish applied. I had to resort to the Cole jaws just to get this done. Tomorrow I will stand it out in the sun (gotta check the weather report) in the hope it picks up some colour. Then back in the Cole jaws to apply a wax finish. Damn. Cloudy with 40% chance of precipitation. So not much in the way of UV for the bowl!

I didn't even get any pieces of wood on faceplates, ready for tomorrow. It was borderline dark, so I will maybe try another piece of kabukalli tomorrow, and hope to avoid any cracks to get a decent piece to turn. 

Yes, that's Mo wandering past just as I clicked the shutter. 

• Love 2

I am a completely self-taught wood turner. I read books, watched YT videos, and tried this and that to see what would work and what would not. To get started, I bought a set of chisels. A spindle roughing gouge, a parting tool, a spindle gouge, a bowl gouge and a skew. (I call the skew chisel The Destroyer, because if I only pick it up, what ever is on the lathe immediately self destructs.)

I generally don't do spindles (although the recent rolling pin is technically a spindle). I prefer to do bowls. These two are the spindle gouge and the bowl gouge.

20221128_111042423.thumb.jpg.57678be0d27008604061ffde9e158175.jpg

The big one is for spindles and the small one is for bowls. The bigger the chisel the easier to control. With the lathe trying to force the tip down, you have to stop the butt of the chisel from being forced up. Length gives leverage. So, I've been using the big one (spindle gouge) as a bowl gouge. Because apart from size, what's the difference?

20221128_111141989.thumb.jpg.81a94cf8b5d8174243376a7484044250.jpg

This is a picture if the tips of the chisels. (They both need sharpening.) Both chisels are fluted. The spindle gouge on the left is a ½" and the bowl gouge on the right is only ⅜“. Also, the spindle gouge had a shallow, C-shaped flute, whereas the bowl gouge had a deeper, U-shaped flute. 

I discovered last night, that the shape/depth of the flute is the critical difference between spindle and bowl gouges. For a number of reasons, some safety issues being among them, you should never use a spindle gouge as a bowl gouge. Which is exactly what I've been doing for years!

Apart from anything else, the chisel with the shallow flute is more likely to break, sending the sharp, steel tip into your eyeball. But also, the deeper flute results in a steeper edge which cuts differently to the shallow flute which gives a more pointy tip.

<sigh>

Just a few days ago I was saying that a ½" chisel wasnt large enough and I wanted a ¾" chisel, and now, I find that my chisel has reduced itself to ⅜".

Anyway, I dug around in the scrap bin and pulled out a little piece of tamarind. Faceplate went on, shavings came off and this thing appeared out of nowhere.

20221128_115839157.thumb.jpg.a37aadc401eff5b15ff8901bf9c52c8d.jpg

It needs to be sanded now, then waxed and finished. It isn't large, but it is not bad. And it was going in the landfill, so if I can get a fiver for it, I'm not only one tin of corned beef better off, but I've "recycled" that little piece of scrap as well. Gretta would be proud, I'm sure! I must dig around in the scrap bin some more, and see what I can find.

Some of the smaller pieces would be better suited to a wood-worm screw, but I have not laid eyes on mine in literal years.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 5

I'm drinking a cup of tea and really enjoying it. Prolly because it has actual cow-juice in it!

Yes, I went to the supermarket and bought a few items. Potatoes, white cabbage, pak choy, macaroni, rice, cheese, salt, corned beef, carrots, peanut butter, red butter, flour, etc. And a bit of milk for my tea. Nothing elaborate, nothing fancy. I didn't splurge on chicken or beef or red herring or eggs. didn't even buy myself a coke. The only extravagance was a small bag of candies to put in my bowls up at Brighton Market, because as @Spunkygal rightly said, it helps to show the bowls in use. (Plan to get a bit of red ribbon and some fruit too, but not yet.)

The bill at the grocery was $148.04 all told. For the most basic of basics.

I don't know how people are supposed to manage with things going from bad to worse. I have friends in the UK who are saying that they will have to make decisions between food and heat. At least I don't have to worry about freezing! One of my friends was breaking his back to shift three tons of firewood last week. They have fireplaces in the house, but this year that's all the heat they are going to get. He expects to need all three tons to make it through the winter. (Apparently the wood comes from a poacher who lives in the village, and pinches the wood out of the forest to distribute amongst villagers.)

Don't know if I mentioned it before, but I made an enquiry inquiry and have heard back from Alison. She said "We'd love to have you back this Saturday..." so, I will be going to Brighton this Saturday morning. I already have about a dozen pieces and have the rest of the week to try and knock out a few more. 

So I'd better go sand that thing from this morning!

Edited by Netfoot
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

I am in bed, listening to Billion Dollar Babies. I have not had a shower and I don't care; I'm happy to be dirty.

Mo was lying on the floor near the door when I locked up. I asked him if he wanted to go out but there was not even a twitch of an ear in response. 

I'm feeling rather replete. Dinner tonight did not contain any corned beef! Some say corned beef is "poor people food" but I actually like corned beef. Which is a good thing, given that I eat it all the time seeing as I am "poor people".

But tonight I had tuna! I treated myself to the cheapest tin of tuna in the shop. $2.19 for flake in oil. I prefer chunk in water, because it's more versatile. But since I was going to flake it up and fry it in oil anyhow....  Cooked it with onion, cucumber and pak choy, seasoned with a little red pepper flakes, cilantro and just a few drops of balsamic vinegar. To this mixture I added 1½ potatoes, diced and boiled. It was 1½ because when I got home and opened the bag of spuds, one was a little spoiled at one end, so I discarded that half. The remaining half wasn't sufficient so I added another. When they were finished boiling, I added them to the fish and veggies. After a few minutes to let the flavours meld, I dished it up and dressed it with a little red butter on top. Enjoyed it a lot. 

Back to Poor Man Food from tomorrow!

On the way back from the grocery I picked up three pallets which I brought home. One is a brute of a thing that I will have to use explosives to take apart, but it's got some solid four-quarter boards in it. It's so heavy I could barely lift it in and out of the van. The other two were lighter and I have already disassembled one and got started on the other. Boards are nowhere as big as the other pallet, but some useful stuff in there for sure. 

Now, I'm going to kill the lights and get some kip. I have a few things I want to do before Saturday (including make a couple more turnings) so I will get started on that lot tomorrow.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 3

Back is aching bad. Just took a couple of Panadol, first for a week!

Got this big chunk of kabukalli on the lathe. It's fighting me like a pirate. I hope to get a nice piece out of this, but I don't know if I will be able to do that.

20221129_080152899.thumb.jpg.10ff53cb56419d2cf73e6dd4389db03b.jpg

Also pausing from time to time to unmantle the pallets. Got one apart, the other about halfway apart, and the third one is such a brute I might have to cut those lovely four-quarter boards, because the nails just- won't- come- out!

Cduting During my back-resting breaks I'm also working on a walking stick, and tying the occasional globe knot on a ¾“ rubber ball. They are one more thing to sit in a bowl, and I can also give them away to kids. Or cute chostles...

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 2

There are problems with using a smaller (⅜“) chisel instead of the larger (½") one I was using before.

You have to keep sharpening your chisels. As they get dull you can shift to a different part of the edge which is still sharp, bur but eventually you will have to sharpen again. But when I grind a ⅜" chisel it produces a much smaller cutting edge than the ½“ chisel. So the entire edge dulls in a much shorter period of time. Which forces me to sharpen much more frequently. Also, a smaller chisel makes smaller cuts which delays even more. 

Now, because there is less metal, the ⅜" chisel had lower thermal mass. So it heats up fast. And with less surface area to dissipate the heat it stays hot longer. So you have to put the chisel down because the hot metal was burning your fingers. And since the chisel isnylt isn't as as good at dissipating the heat, the shavings come off the piece hot as well. Either directly onto the fingers or the back of the support hand, or flyingbl flying up and landing on chest, arms, head, etc.

Been working on this project all day:

20221129_204826719.thumb.jpg.baac7e9a7c1aa794ef1d5673beee1188.jpg

I think you should be able to see where I'm going here, but this may not be a success. I did polish up the bottom to see how it might turn out. Go look at this video and watch out for the colour change. The colour changes depending on what angle you look at it from. It isn't a trick of the light. Relative to the camera, the light does not change. The only thing that changes is the orientation of the grain.

Mo and I got a call this afternoon and we went to collect some pallets.

20221129_221433403.thumb.jpg.93ef65bff1232a11de998a948e725d20.jpg

This should be enough to be going on with... (Small piece of tamarind at the bottom.) The van was choc-a-block on the way home, with no rearward visibility. Had to turn on the reversing camera the whole way home to see what was happening behind me!

Listening to Sting's Desert Rose. He's been making music since he was the front man for The Police.

Two cute teens Fiona (brunette) and Claire (blond) invited me to come with them to a Police concert in Brighton one night. (The Brighton on the south coast of England, not the one that holds the Farmer's Market here.) I was moping because my girlfriend Fiona (a different Fiona, also brunette) had gently but firmly dumped me that day so I declined. 

One of the biggest mistakes of my life. Not because Claire was particularly hot. I rectified that error a few days later. No, but because I never got to hear The Police live, and I never will. When you are young you can be very stupid. Also when you're old, I guess.

The grass was soaking when we did the Garden Patrol. There is a cool breeze in the window with the taste of rain to it. A while ago there was even a momentary sprinkle, blowing in. Mo is cuddling up very hot-water-bottle-ish. Claire used to use a hot water bottle, I remember! I will be glad to have Mo snuggle up with me tonight. She may have been hot, but he is fuzzy! It's 78°F right now. Winter is definitely coming!

I wonder what ever became of her?

Back on the poor man's corned beef today. Took a ¼ tin and fried it up with diced cucumbers, chopped pak choy, sliced onion, a tin of Matouk's beans, and a tin of diced tomato, with a little red pepper flakes, dried chives and rosemary. Served half of it with some grated cheese and a couple spoonsfull of chutney I found in the back of the fridge in an unlabeled black jar that looked like it might once have held Marmite. Had the other half for dinner with red butter instead of grated cheddar and more chutney. Enjoyed both meals. The chutney was a treat. Unfortunately the Jar is a small one. It won't last long. I didn't have any carbs today. No spuds, rice, macaroni or even fry-bread. Was in too much of a hurry. Will rectify that tomorrow. 

The boiling water on my right leg is almost constant, now. It used to come on when I stood or walked for a long time and would quickly fade if I sat down. Now, it can come on if I'm sitting quietly or even lying in bed. And it will linger for hours. It's quite painful.

Anyway, I will douse the lights now. Mo will be waking me up around four, then will bark loudly and continually in my ear while trying to drag me out of bed with his claws for how many hours it takes.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 1

Spent most of the day sanding. I'm trying to make a lidded bowl or 'box' out of kabukalli. The bowl part is finished turning but there are some spots that need to be sanded. I've been sanding most of the day. I'm sanding the inside of the box and I'm using #50 paper. Have not got around to the outside yet,  because the inside still needs sanding to remove a few tiny blemishes. When they are gone, I will have to sand again with eight other grits, from #80 to #400. Then I start on the outside. Then I begin work on the lid. It's going to take days because the wood is so hard. And until I start work on the lid, I don't know if it will work out. I might have to abandon the lid idea.

So in the middle of the afternoon, my friend Ian called to ask if I was going up to the club. And I said "You know what? I will go!" Mo and I hadn't gone up for so long and the outing could only be good for both of us!

Off we set and immediately the rain came sluicing down. But by the halfway point we drove out of the rain and found ourself on dry roads with blue sky overhead. And that road that they were fixing and sending me all over the place, diverting everyone onto strange roads? It's still being fixed, with no sign of progress. It's been months and I'm still rerouting via the aeroport.

All looked well until I turned into the track. It was quite muddy, with looong  puddles where the two wheel-ruts would normally be. And there were two particularly mushy, slushy, sticky-uppy patches as well. We made it in, with the van going where it wanted in the track with no consideration for what I did with the steering wheel. I'd put the wheel hard left and for the next several seconds the van would continue to go right. And I'm thinking "It will respond eventually, but will it run into the canes on the right first?!" When it does respond, it usually snaps suddenly from ignoring you and going right, to obeying your hard left lock on the steering wheel and suddenly bounding to the left instead. You better be ready to catch it when that happens!

Anyway, made it in and there was Unka Rudy, setting up a large Decathlon. Mo was thrilled to see Rudy and also happy to have the wide green yonder to run around in. A while later, Mo disappeared up the track, and shortly thereafter we heard a female voice talking to him. Shortly, Donna (Ian's wife) arrived walking with Mo in tow. Apparently Ian's car was stuck in the same track sonhechad so he haf had to bed be rescued. Rudy and I set off in his jeep, but Mo followed us the whole way, and when we got by the main road, I had to grab him and drag him into the jeep to save him from passing cars. 

Ian decided to leave the car parked outside the track and rode back with us. 

Now, try to picture the state of me after Mo runs several hundred yards through the mud, then jumps into my lap to retrace the route. In fact , don't picture it. I will picture it for you:

20221130_160909887.thumb.jpg.f089ee07606c73d8320ee5c4da6c65c3.jpg

That was a clean shirt I put on this afternoon! And the pants may not show it but they are even dirtier than the shirt! 

When we decided to leave, Rudy went first (with Donna), in case I needed a pull from the front. Ian came with me, in the van, and it was a fun time had by all getting up that track! But we made it, and everyone headed home safely. 

I'd made macaroni and gloop for lunch and left half for dinner. I enjoyed both meals. Carb heavy, so maybe I will skip carbs tomorrow. But come to think of it, I have potatoes. So Jo no, I won't skip carbs tomorrow. 

BTW, that 6.8 blood sugar reading I got a few days ago? I've tested twice more since then and was back down to 4.6 both times.

Last night was uncomfortably cold, and I had to keep every part of me covered with my top sheet and welcomed Mo snuggling when ever he felt inclined to do so. Tonight is shaping up to be the same. It was very damp outside when we did the Garden Patrol and there is a cold, damp breeze in the window. So I am going to wrap up tight and see how long I get to sleep before the loud-mouthed boy with the talons comes to get me!

Edited by Netfoot
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Spent most of the day sanding. I'm trying to make a lidded bowl or 'box' out of kabukalli. The bowl part is finished turning but there are some spots that need to be sanded. I've been sanding most of the day. I'm sanding the inside of the box and I'm using #50 paper. Have not got around to the outside yet,  because the inside still needs sanding to remove a few tiny blemishes. When they are gone, I will have to sand again with eight other grits, from #80 to #400. Then I start on the outside. Then I begin work on the lid. It's going to take days because the wood is so hard. And until I start work on the lid, I don't know if it will work out. I might have to abandon the lid idea.

So in the middle of the afternoon, my friend Ian called to ask if I was going up to the club. And I said "You know what? I will go!" Mo and I hadn't gone up for so long and the outing could only be good for both of us!

Off we set and immediately the rain came sluicing down. But by the halfway point we drove out of the rain and found ourself on dry roads with blue sky overhead. And that road that they were fixing and sending me all over the place, diverting everyone onto strange roads? It's still being fixed, with no sign of progress. It's been months and I'm still rerouting via the aeroport.

All looked well until I turned into the track. It was quite muddy, with looong  puddles where the two wheel-ruts would normally be. And there were two particularly mushy, slushy, sticky-uppy patches as well. We made it in, with the van going where it wanted in the track with no consideration for what I did with the steering wheel. I'd put the wheel hard left and for the next several seconds the van would continue to go right. And I'm thinking "It will respond eventually, but will it run into the canes on the right first?!" When it does respond, it usually snaps suddenly from ignoring you and going right, to obeying your hard left lock on the steering wheel and suddenly bounding to the left instead. You better be ready to catch it when that happens!

Anyway, made it in and there was Unka Rudy, setting up a large Decathlon. Mo was thrilled to see Rudy and also happy to have the wide green yonder to run around in. A while later, Mo disappeared up the track, and shortly thereafter we heard a female voice talking to him. Shortly, Donna (Ian's wife) arrived walking with Mo in tow. Apparently Ian's car was stuck in the same track sonhechad to bed rescued. Rudy and I set off in his jeep, but Mo followed us the whole way, and when we got by the main road, I had to grab him and drag him into the jeep to save him from passing cars. 

Ian decided to leave the car parked outside the track and rode back with us. 

Now, try to picture the state of me after Mo runs several hundred yards through the mud, then jumps into my lap to retrace the route. In fact , don't picture it. I will picture it for you:

20221130_160909887.thumb.jpg.f089ee07606c73d8320ee5c4da6c65c3.jpg

That was a clean shirt I put on this afternoon! And the pants may not show it but they are even dirtier than the shirt! 

When we decided to leave, Rudy went first (with Donna), in case I needed a pull from the front. Ian came with me, in the van, and it was a fun time had by all getting up that track! But we made it, and everyone headed home safely. 

I'd made macaroni and gloop for lunch and left half for dinner. I enjoyed both meals. Carb heavy, so maybe I will skip carbs tomorrow. But come to think of it, I have potatoes. So Jo, I won't skip carbs tomorrow. 

BTW, that 6.8 blood sugar reading I got a few days ago? I've tested twice more since then and was back down to 4.6 both times.

Last night was uncomfortably cold, and I had to keep every part of me covered with my top sheet and welcomed Mo snuggling when ever he felt inclined to do so. Tonight is shaping up to be the same. It was very damp outside when we did the Garden Patrol and there is a cold, damp breeze in the window. So I am going to wrap up tight and see how long I get to sleep before the loud-mouthed boy with the talons comes to get me!

Now, how did I manage to post a post that was nothing but a quote of a different post? Weird stuff happens when accessing this site with my phone.

Very little achieved today. I sanded the inside of my lidded box. Then I sanded it some more. Additional sanding followed. Then it was time for lunch.

I had potatoes and gloop. It was a very nice gloop, with onions and pak choy and good stuff. Made a big pan of it meanwhile diced and boiled three spuds. Ate half, and left the remainder for dinner. Then it was more sanding. 

Around mid afternoon, I think I began to see signs that the blemishes I wanted to eliminate were beginning to reduce in size. Here (top right quarter of the image) is one, in the bottom of the box, where side transitions to bottom.

20221202_001540077.thumb.jpg.99c603a164f8b13584613cf9d84b6d9e.jpg

A couple more hours sanding confirmed that. It probably won't take more than another full day of sanding to have the blemishes gone. Then I can start on the outside of the turning, which is even more blemished. But hopefully I can use a chisel to clean that up without making it worse instead. Or destroying the piece altogether.

Then I can start work on the lid....

Listening to some classic Marvin Gaye, and contemplating a shower. It was cold again last night and is shaping up to be cold once more tonight. There was a sprinkle in the window earlier so I pulled down the sash until it was only open three fingers. But then Mo wanted to look out so I opened it again. No more sprinkle but a chill blast instead. Makes me think of Snowpiercer. If I put my hand out that portal, I will draw it back frozen solid. And my hot water bottle has wandered off, for some reason...

• Love 1

Preparing for tomorrow morning. Here are my wares:

IMG-20221202-WA0002.thumb.jpg.fedfa5d2cec2fbf7a723c1596c8ac3df.jpg

Not so many, but you can only do what you can do. I only hope I can make $113, because Mo's annual check up and inoculation is due tomorrow so I will have to take him on Monday or Tuesday to get that done. I'm actually hoping to make more than $113 because it would be nice to have a few bucks left over to pay bills and buy groceries.

Do you think $25 dollarettes is too much to ask for that rolling pin?

Mo is very interested in my preparations. Unfortunately for him, he won't be coming along. Shhh! I have not told him yet. Poor baby! Well-behaved dogs on a lead are welcome. But Monster couldn't pass for well behaved in a pea-soup fog! And I regret that, because I would love to show him off. He has the cutest physiog!

IMG-20221202-WA0014.thumb.jpg.3d87ddc975b805b544ac3cb4079bc586.jpg

Lunch today was corned beef and cabbage, with diced tomato and cucumber. After a macaroni-heavy day followed by a potato-heavy day, I think a low-carb cabbage day is in order. I made sure to leave enough for dinner. Not claiming to be virtuous, though. Went to buy red & green ribbon and at the same time bought a cookie for Mo. And one for myself as well, which I ate with a large mug of sweet tea.

Gotta turn in early tonight, to be up at crack o' dawn tomorrow. Must get to the market by 5:30 and have to have a shower, dress and brew a thermos of tea before I go. The car is gradually being packed as things are made ready. The two folding tables and the turnings are already in there. The large die which I use as a seat is also in there but the top is off in case there is more to add into it. The turnings now have a lighter, plastic carrying case to keep the weight of the die down.

I will also take two walking staffs with me. Neither are for sale; one is my own that is a bit beat up, and needs some trimming with extra knots and decorative cordage, and I imagine I will be able to at least start a few Turk's Heads between customers, even if final tightening and trimming has to be done later.

And one is to be a present for Dr. Kristi. It too needs a little fancying up. She offered to buy one from me years ago for $175 and I agreed, with no intention of ever taking her money. Unfortunately, then came kidney cancer, then Myasthenia Gravis and then athelete's foot, and the years whisked past in a cloud of other concerns. Her walking staff never got made. Now, with things looking up (at least on the health front) I am looking to get it ready, years late, in time for Christmas.

And who knows? Maybe someone will be impressed by them and commission a stick of their own? I gotta be careful, though. Technically I am only supposed to sell woodturnings. I've been told they are far from strict, but after al all, I am only a "Visiting Vendor" and have to ask permission for each day I go. So not wanting to queer that pitch.....

Some time early next week I need to renew my prescriptions. My last batch of meds was the 3rd of November so tomorrow will be a month. But I had some extras at the time, so according to my calculations I won't start to run out of stuff until next Thursday. Won't wait until then, though. Will probably go Tuesday for Mo to see his doctor, and then from there to the poly-clinic to get my meds.

But now I think I'm going to take a nap. Good Ghodd! Look at the clock! Long past nap-time, so I guess I will have to just find something else to do.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Preparing for tomorrow morning. Here are my wares:

IMG-20221202-WA0002.thumb.jpg.fedfa5d2cec2fbf7a723c1596c8ac3df.jpg

Not so many, but you can only do what you can do. I only hope I can make $113, because Mo's annual check up and inoculation is due tomorrow so I will have to take him on Monday or Tuesday to get that done. I'm actually hoping to make more than $113 because it would be nice to have a few bucks left over to pay bills and buy groceries.

Do you think $25 dollarettes is too much to ask for that rolling pin?

I don't think $25 is too much to ask for the rolling pin. You have some very nice things for sale! Good luck tomorrow. 😃

• Love 1

It's 9:30 and we're all locked up and in bed. I think (hope!) everything that needs to be packed into the car is loaded. My clothes have been laid out by my valet and all the necessary for making tea has been prepared. At 4:30 (checks that alarm is set - it is) I will flick on the kettle and go for a quick shower. I've just had a proper shower, but a rince down will wash away the sleep. I can then put the tea to draw while I get my togs on. Will take blood sugar before leaving home and take breakfast meds with me (already in my pocket).

It's like one of those nightmares where you are halfway through running a marathon and you suddenly realize you have no clothes on. Only, in this case I will get to the market and realize I left my turnings on the pavement outside my house. Or brought the experimental two-legged table (that keeps falling over) instead of a proper one.

The escape plan is the same as last time. Lock Mo in the house, move the van outside the gate and close it, let Mo out of the house and lock it up, squeeze through the gate without him escaping, and drive off. Last time Mo spoiled the plan for over ten minutes. He avoided getting locked in the house by the simple expediency of refusing to enter the house. Trust him to make a mess of any plan. He will probably escape in the morning, and have to be hunted down all over the neighborhood. 

Put some green split peas to soak overnight. Will cook them into a pot of rice tomorrow. One carb-free day is enough. Might even make fry-bread to eat with the rice. If I do, I will not add the corned beef to the rice. I will cook up a separate gloop to eat with the rice and fry-bread.

Ok, well no point heading off to bed early and not actually going to sleep. So I will put Joni Mitchell on a 90 minute off-timer and kill the lights.

• Love 3

Home again! Mo was very glad to have me back after 5½ hours. As I approahed the gate he watched me suspiciously, but as soon as I said "Hello, baby!" he went into Turbo Mode and it took 10 minutes of cuddling to calm him down. After which he took himself off about his own business and I've not seen him since! Suspect he will be back around lunchtime, though...

Didn't make as much as last time, but after paying the entry fee, I came home with $190. That will pay for Mo's annual checkup and booster shots, and leave enough left over for a small foray through the supermarket. So: Result! I told myself that if I made enough to pay the vet I would be OK with it, and that was achieved with a bit extra.

I've spoken to the organizer about returning in two weeks on 17th and was told that would be fine. I also promised to confirm a week or so before. Apparently the 17th will be "Santa Day" which means there will be a Santa, and they expect a very large crowd. Hopefully they are all looking for last minute gifts...

I've realized something about the market. Most people don't come there to buy anything, really. The come, they wander around, meet up with friends, socialize, and eat something. Basically, they come for breakfast. The couple whose tent I share bake and sell bagels, pâté, etc. They don't sell bags of bagels. It's like, "Do you want pâté with your cream cheese? Or smoked salmon?" As a result, they have repeat customers, who loyally show up each Saturday and say "The usual, please!" While waiting for their bagel to be prepared they might wander over and buy a bowl, but they're not buying one each week!

Anyway, Mo gets to visit the doctor Tuesday. And for that matter, the Book-Tent, too. I will get a month's worth of meds from the Poly-Clinic and possibly pick up a few things at the grocery. We're running low on sugar, for a start.

Speaking of sugar, my fasted blood sugar this morning was 3.9 mmol/L, so low but not worrisomely low.  And speaking of sugar, I will now brew a cup of sweet tea, and check on my green split peas which will end up in a rice pot for lunch. 

Goodness! Look at the time! Almost lunchtime already! This crack o' dawn lark is for the birds.....

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Knowing me, I’d turn around and spend most of the $190 on bagels! 🤣

I was tempted. Last time, a friend bought me a coffee and one of the bagels. It was very good. I like good bread and their bagels are good. So yes, it is a temptation. 

But I never count my takings until I get home. Instead, I always know how much is in my wallet when I go. For instance, today I had $155 in the main compartment and another $40 in another separate section. The $40 is to cover the cost of going - $20 entrance and $20 gas money. They are only charging me $10 now, since I am sharing with the bagel people, but $20 is the norm.

So when I get home I make back up the $40, and deduct the $155 I started with to find out what I made today. If I had known I'd surpassed what I need for the vet, I might have succumbed to the call of the bagel and ended up with less in hand.

If I buy myself a coffee or a bagel, Mo might not get his checkup on Tuesday! So I try not to salivate over each bagel they prepare and never try the free samples of pâté that they offer to passers by. I bring my own tea from home. And as a result, Mo will get his annual once-over from his doctor and his shots and a flea/tick/worm treatment that he probably doesn't need but is a good idea periodically. 

I had split peas & rice with sliced carrot, and a corned beef, onion & pak choy gloop plus two fry-breads for lunch. 

The split peas I had soaked overnight 'yielded' much more than I expected and I had to put half in the fridge for later. When I cooked the rice, the peas were slightly underdone. I assumed they would cook in the same time as the rice. Must check around. Maybe you have to cook them a bit before putting them into the rice? The fry-bread was good! One was thickish and the other one I rolled out quite thin. Each was great in itsxown it's own way. 

The Hot Breath was on my knee the whole time, ignoring his own lunch which I laid out for him as I was about to begin eating my own. He harrassed me constantly for bits of fry-bread, expressing greatest satisfaction when it was dipped in melted red butter. (I like that too!) There is more rice and more gloop left back for dinner. And I didn't fry all the dough, leaving half in a bowl in the fridge. So dinner: Sorted.

Right now, lying in bed contemplating a 4:30 wake-up alarm and deciding if to take a nap. The nap is winning. But first I have to sprinkle some salt in my tongue. My legs and feet have decided to produce an ongoing series of painful cramps...

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 2

Alison Goldfrapp sings Horse Tears as Mo and I head off to bed. Napped long this afternoon, until the cramps in lower legs, feet and toes became unbearable, around six. What with new, persistent boiling water on my upper leg and frequent cramps on my lower legs, all I need is peristent back pain. Oh, wait...

Watched the first episode of a show, all in Icelandic, starring this week's greeter. Pretty good so far! Show is called Trapped.

Dinner was just the same as lunch, even to THBOMH, and despite the afternoon nap, I am tired again. 

I've noticed a large, hard lump in my abdomen. About the size of an apple. It is near to but not exactly where I had the hernia surgery a few years ago. Could it be related to the "mesh" they said they were going to use when they did the hernia? Am I only just noticing it now because (I think I am) I'm losing a little weight?

I know if I go to Dr.Kristi with this she will immediately say I must get an x-ray. Which means Mo won't get his checkup and booster. So rather than go to her with this immediately, I will wait to see if I make any money on 17th.

Apparently the biggest craft show of the year was late November, and I'm only hearing about it today. Typical.

I Love You by Climax Blues Band is playing. Never been huge on the band but always loved that number for some reason. Anyway, it's minutes to midnight, Mo is lying on the floor next to the bed licking his nuts, I will lock the house, have a shower and try to complete another chapter of my book before going QRT.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Netfoot said:

I've noticed a large, hard lump in my abdomen. About the size of an apple. It is near to but not exactly where I had the hernia surgery a few years ago. Could it be related to the "mesh" they said they were going to use when they did the hernia? Am I only just noticing it now because (I think I am) I'm losing a little weight?

I know if I go to Dr.Kristi with this she will immediately say I must get an x-ray. Which means Mo won't get his checkup and booster. So rather than go to her with this immediately, I will wait to see if I make any money on 17th.

Netfoot please take care of yourself! Not to be all up in your business, but do you have some kind of health insurance, Medi-care, etc that would help with treatment costs? Not sure what is offered in your country.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, andidante said:

Not to be all up in your business, but do you have some kind of health insurance, Medi-care, etc that would help with treatment costs?

No.

Not sure what is offered in your country.

I could go to the hospital and receive free medical care. However, the standard of care would be what ever doctor they decided to assign to the case. So, it could easily be some inexperienced, young doctor who has 100 other patients to look after as well.

When I get a chance, I will ask Dr. Kristi to look at it and if she thinks it needs further investigation, I will go to the hospital and see who I pull out of the Lucky-Dip.

• Love 2

@NetfootI hope all goes well medically for you and Mo.

It is too bad that Mo is....Mo, because having that adorable face in your tent would increase traffic 100%!  I am magnetically drawn to anyone with a dog at their feet.  However, we would then get reports and pictures of Mo terrorizing the bagel people and gorging on their wares!

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1
27 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

No.

I could go to the hospital and receive free medical care. However, the standard of care would be what ever doctor they decided to assign to the case. So, it could easily be some inexperienced, young doctor who has 100 other patients to look after as well.

When I get a chance, I will ask Dr. Kristi to look at it and if she thinks it needs further investigation, I will go to the hospital and see who I pull out of the Lucky-Dip.

Oh I see. Well keep us posted!

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, raven said:

However, we would then get reports and pictures of Mo terrorizing the bagel people and gorging on their wares!

I tell you, he would have the entire place in an absolute shambles in less than ten minutes. Knocking down stalls, jumping up on strangers to give them kisses, barking incessantly from sheer excitement, peeing on each table, chair and tent and generally having a whale of a good time, while the entire market was declared a disaster area and people were helicoptered to safety. 

And I so wish I could show him off, the incredibly cute, cuddly devil that he is!

36 minutes ago, andidante said:

Well keep us posted!

I don't think there is anything to worry about. It's probably related to the hernia repair I had done a while back. but I would like that confirmed, because I never felt this hard lump before, and I just wonder if it has only now surfaced because it was previously concealed in a fat tummy, which is gradually reducing and made it more noticeable.

I will report any significant findings.

Meanwhile, Mo and I went to the club again today, and spent the afternoon chatting with the guys and girls up there. The track was bumpy but dry, and we had no trouble at all. Here is a picture showing us sat around chewing the fat and of course, Mo is right in the middle of things, looking for some mischief to make.

1055142876_WhatsAppImage2022-12-04at5_34_57PM.thumb.jpeg.d27af7c99f1995265af9fa407d82bcdc.jpeg

• Love 3

Was on the computer when I heard an unusual sound. Peeped out to see Mo absconding with a tamarind bowl. I'd left the back of the van open with the bowls spread out on the carpet. This, because someone made inquiries, and eventually bought a bowl for $45. But because I didn't close the tailgate of the van afterwards, Mo had the opportunity to exercise his klepto tendencies. The bowl was recovered undamaged and the van locked up.

Listening to Long Gone by Super Furry Animals. Not sure but I think the album is Fuzzy Logic. 

Ok, so after taking a day off I will get back to sanding in the morning. Want to get the inside complete so I can move on to fashioning a fitting lid. Gotta make some stuff for 17th. 

Macaroni elbows for lunch, spuds for dinner. After yesterday's rice and fry-bread, tomorrow may be a cabbage day.

Tired again. Tomorrow I got to make an appointment for Mo's checkup. He has developed a flea infestation and they are tormenting him, because he is not normally pestered by them. A flea/tick/worm chewable will fix him up and that's part of the plan for his vet visit.

Very tired again; can't keep my eyes open. Will try tomget some sleep.now.

• Love 2

After five days of sanding, this kabukalli box is to my satisfaction but only on the inside. Next to make a lid that fits the box - trying not to screw that up. Then box and lid can be turned together to give a consistent external shape and finish. Then more sanding.....

20221205_095159780.thumb.jpg.333a39064cb6bd4b86ab231e920d0520.jpg

But now that the bowl is off the chuck, I can use it for other pieces. Which I want to do to make some stuff for the 17th.

Made an appointment for Mo to go to the doctor tomorrow at 9:30 and alarm set so I won't forget. Tomorrow is also the book tent, and I shall get a month's supply of meds.  Now, what else do I need to do tomorrow?

Want a mug of tea so bad, but it makes no sense declaring a carb-free day and drinking tea with sugar. Can't drink tea without milk and sugar. Well, I can but I don't want to. I wish I had some Stevia for days like this!

Back to work.....

• Love 2

In bed, but Mo has fled. He transgressed and I hollered and he departed hurriedly. I expect he thought he was going to get a spanking, although I don't know why. He almost never gets a spank and when he does it's like two fingers across his butt. 

Sold another three bowls today for a total of $115. So with the $190 from Saturday, the $45 from yesterday and the $115 from today, the total is not bad! And very welcome, I can tell you. But it leaves me with nothing to take to Brighton on 17th so I will have to get turning!

Ate gloop with cucumbers and cabbage today, instead of carbs. I like my Carby goodness, but thankfully, I can live without it. If I have to.

Will buy some groceries tomorrow, and may include some lime juice, so I can make lime squash occasionally. Will also look for some spaghetti. Usually buy macaroni because it makes more bulk and is more filling. But I like spaghetti. And last time there was none to be found. Or maybe some fettuccine?

So tomorrow Mo goes to the vet. I will be interested in his weight. Last time he weighed (months ago) he was 31 and a bit pounds. Curious to know if he has added any weight since. After the vet comes the poly-clinic, the book tent, the supermarket and the pharmacy to get some Panadol. I also need to visit the bank briefly, and that best done before buying any groceries. Otherwise stuff will be warming up in the car while I waste time at the bank. So prolly right after the vet will come the bank, then the others.

But right now I want to take a shower, lock up the house (preferably with the puppy on the inside), listen to some Elton John, read my book and finally, saw some wood.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 3

Fuzzy Mo came in when called. I locked up and went for my shower. When I got back into the bedroom, he was curled up on top of the stack of four pillows. Right now, he's curled up on top of me! Sort of Tummy Trampoline but with no bouncing.

• LOL 1

Went the day well? (British war drama made in 1942: A small English village is so cut off that the arrival of a car is an event. When lorryloads of Royal Engineers led by Major Ortler turn up, the villagers have no reason to suspect that they are really disguised German paratroopers.)

But enough trivia. The day did go well. Mo hit the vet like a whirlwind, and captivated everyone as well as leaping about and letting the Monster out for all to see. He weighs in at 36.8 lbs, and is in perfect health apart from dry skin which is flaky and makes him scratch himself. He got his booster, his flea/tick/worm chewable, a bottle of shampoo and a fortnight's supply of Prednisolone. (Steroids! I was on prednisolone myself for three years and it can screw you totally up! But he is on it for five days then starts to wean off for four more then five more at an extreme low dosage to finish.) These are to help him with his skin. After that he can have antihistamines, cod liver oil, vitamins, and even a special anti-itch medication, if needed. I will try the cod liver oil and maybe the Histal first. We want to get his skin back in good shape so he is comfy and happy.

20221206_151631695.thumb.jpg.8e5e54534dfe87bcf4141e55c1621c98.jpg

Here the little rascal is, after we got home. 

We went from the vet to visit our friend who we saw last Wednesday. I had to touch base with him today so we did that. Then the Poly-clinic was closest so we got meds. Next was the bank, and finally the supermarket, where the ladies were as glad to see him as he was timsee them.

Grocery had no onions or potatoes but I found some things to spend my money on, never the less. We only had four items in the cart before we hit $50. Cheese, crackers, milk and eggs. Saw some lovely plantains and stupidly bought four because I forgot my microwave is now nothing but a cupboard. I will now have to boil them, or slice them and fry them like rashers of bacon, with cinamon and brown sugar. Or cut into short segments and fry plain.... Did get some lime juice, cucumbers, macaroni, rice, garlic powder, red butter, and such basics.

Came home and prepared a macaroni meal which went down well. Had a row with the little man who refused to eat a half-tab of Prednisolone. But he was quite OK gobbling down a little cube of cheddar.....

He got hold of a little pine cup I made a while ago. I had a few ounces of water in it and was using it to cool the tips of chisels as they come off the grinder. It already had a hairline crack, but Mo decided to help improve on it.

20221206_151640101.thumb.jpg.92cab7d7917574d6f439d408ded90c39.jpg

You can perhaps see why Mo's help should only be accepted with close supervision.

I usually give Dr. Kristi Quality Street chocolates for Christmas. Something she can share with the family. But I can't find any this year. Now, I will have to get her something different! The Great Reset makes it so difficult to maintain standards. 

• Love 1

Well, I'm in bed but Mo is outside and won't come in. And for good reason. He peed on the bed and got his butt paddled for that. He's completely house-trained otherwise, but he will still pee inside to indicate his dissatisfaction with one thing or another.

So, after the spanking, he ran outside and I gave him 15 minutes to think about it and went out and found him. I sat next to him and spoke quietly and calmly, telling him it was a bad thing to do and that it didn't mean I didn't love him and all that. Plenty pats on head, and so forth. He did wrong, he was punished and it's behind us, now. 

But he doesn't want to come inside. Well, I never force my boys to come in unless it is for their own safety. Workmen in the yard, etc. But the door is open, and I have to take meds at midnight, so he has 36 minutes to change his mind. 

He will wake me at 4:30 either way. He will stand under the window and bark his head off to be let in. Or if he is in, he will bark directly into my ear and use his claws to try to roll me out of bed tombe let out.

Had potatoes for dinner, with a sauce made from corned beef, pak choy and cucumbers. I also sectioned a plantain and boiled the pieces in their skin. May have added a touch too much red pepper flakes. It was hot! I like hot (but not ridiculous) this wasn't at ridiculous level, but it was "refill my iced water" heat level.

There is another portion waiting to be my lunch tomorrow. Honestly, I could go into the kitchen right now, and have tomorrow's lunch 12 hours early.

Listening to Angel by Shaggy & Sting. Think I will read until midnight and take my meds, lock the house and sleep.

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 2

Mo came in last night, and snuggled until morning. This is day #2 of foll full prednisolone dosage. I also went out to shop for Histal for him. It usually costs between $12 and $13 for a box of thirty off the shelf, but there was none. I asked the pharmacist who had supplies inside. $12.00 for sixty tabs. Ok.....

Also hoped to pick other stuff. There was a sign up yesterday which said "No onions or potatoes". The sign was still there. Instead I bought three more heads of pak choy, becaused because they looked great.

I found tuna fish selling for $1.99 per tin. Flake in oil, but I can live with that. Last time I paid $2.19 but this is a different brand. 

Some time ago I bought a jar of gravy crystals. I usually buy chicken flavour but I tried the turkey because it was only $4.09 rather than $4.59 for the chicken. (It tasted fine and I considered it a good purchase.) Today, there were no turkey crystals and the chicken crystals are now priced at $9.99 I kid you not. In the time it took for me to use one jar of crystals the price has more than doubled.

Went to buy mayo. I often buy the Matouk's brand because it's pretty good. Matouk's are a Trinidadian company. Much of their stuff is excellent (but not everything). I frequently sing the praises of their red beans on a West Indian sauce. They has had a 375ml jar for $3.49 but I also spotted one of those "refill" pouches. Also 375ml and also $3.49! Why would I buy a refill pouch if it is the same price and same amount as an actual jar? And then I spotted an 800ml jar of Hellmann's for $6.99! Same price for more mayo, and Hellmann's is, after all, the standard by which all other mayo is measured.

And I found a pack of spaghetti, so I think that will be for dinner.

Lunch was potatoes with a little plantain, topped by corned beef sauce with cucumber, pak choy, Matouk's beans, and diced tomato. The leftovers from dinner last night, basically. Gave Mo his Histal tab by concealing it in a little piece of potato left on the plate along with a spoonful the gloop. Not sure how to conceal a tablet in spaghetti, but our goal will be achieved somehow.

Took one of the Histal myself to combat a runny nose. Now I feel sleepy. And lunch just made it worse.

Puppy, winking at daddy:

20221207_133917099.thumb.jpg.67d8a4bc9153b2a0d072344f89b4b413.jpg

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Netfoot said:

Mo came in last night, and snuggled until morning. This is day #2 of foll prednisolone dosage. I also went out to shop for Histal for him. It usually costs between $12 and $13 for a box of thirty off the shelf, but there was none. I asked the pharmacist who had supplies inside. $12.00 for sixty tabs. Ok.....

Also hoped to pick other stuff. There was a sign up yesterday which said "No onions or potatoes". The sign was still there. Instead I bought three more heads of pak choy, becaused they looked great.

I found tuna fish selling for $1.99 per tin. Flake in oil, but I can live with that. Last time I paid $2.19 but this is a different brand. 

Some time ago I bought a jar of gravy crystals. I usually buy chicken flavour but I tried the turkey because it was only $4.09 rather than $4.59 for the chicken. (It tasted fine and I considered it a good purchase.) Today, there were no turkey crystals and the chicken crystals are now priced at $9.99 I kid you not. In the time it took for me to use one jar of crystals the price has more than doubled.

Went to buy mayo. I often buy the Matouk's brand because it's pretty good. Matouk's are a Trinidadian company. Much of their stuff is excellent (but not everything). I frequently sing the praises of their red beans on a West Indian sauce. They has a 375ml jar for $3.49 but I also spotted one of those "refill" pouches. Also 375ml and also $3.49! Why would I buy a refill pouch if it is the same price and same amount as an actual jar? And then I spotted an 800ml jar of Hellmann's for $6.99! Same price for more mayo, and Hellmann's is, after all, the standard by which all other mayo is measured.

And I found a pack of spaghetti, so I think that will be for dinner.

Lunch was potatoes with a little plantain, topped by corned beef sauce with cucumber, pak choy, Matouk's beans, and diced tomato. The leftovers from dinner last night, basically. Gave Mo his Histal tab by concealing it in a little piece of potato left on the plate along with a spoonful the gloop. Not sure how to conceal a tablet in spaghetti, but our goal will be achieved somehow.

Took one of the Histal myself to combat a runny nose. Now I feel sleepy. And lunch just made it worse.

Puppy, winking at daddy:

20221207_133917099.thumb.jpg.67d8a4bc9153b2a0d072344f89b4b413.jpg

Just a thought, prednisone makes humans have to pee more often.  If Mo is taking steroids for his skin, his accident on the bed last night could've been a side effect.  As he figures out he needs to go more often these days, he should get better at it.

I am a gynecologist in the real world; happy to have Mo as a patient.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Notabug said:

Just a thought, prednisone makes humans have to pee more often.  If Mo is taking steroids for his skin, his accident on the bed last night could've been a side effect.  As he figures out he needs to go more often these days, he should get better at it.

I was on Prednisolone for three years as I fought with Myasthenia Gravis. I know how unpleasant the side effects can be. 

I wish I could let him have that excuse for his behaviour. Unfortunately, he only started the Prednisolone yesterday afternoon but has been peeing in the bed for quite a while now. Three times this week alone, including today again.

I gave him a very serious talking-to which he ignored. Here he is, cocking his head to listen to Ian McDonald flautist, for King Crimson on their 1969 debut album.

20221207_165516393.thumb.jpg.442bb7b12fe66ca0931e9ca81b7e8660.jpg

No, I'm just going to have to keep the bedroom door closed when I'm not in the bedroom. If it will close after all these years. And that is a pity because under the bed is his little cave that he likes to retire to, sometimes. He isn't accumulating a Treasure Trove under there like Budweiser did (unless you count dust bunnies) but Mo is frequently to be found under there, if not simply sleeping on the bed or just on the floor of the bedroom. 

1 hour ago, Notabug said:

I am a gynecologist in the real world; happy to have Mo as a patient.

And we are glad for him to be your patient! Mo has lots of internet-based friends and god-parents. And I wish it were possible for him to meet them all in person. That might be rather energetic, given the way he behaved on Tuesday when he simply went to meet the vet, but.....

• Love 3

Spaghetti for dinner. Had planned to have it with tuna but started preparing corned beef automatically, so the tuna will have to wait for another day. Meal went very well, and there is more for tomorrow's lunch.

Mosie is here now, looking out the window. Whupps! Now he's left again. Expect he'll be back when he's ready.

Despite having a nice nap this afternoon, I'm tired again. It's prolly months of being woken at 4:30 and prevented from going back to sleep.

Just woke up to find that the handful of yellow pencils I was dreaming about was in fact this phone. I'm gonna call it quits for today.

• Love 1

Kabukalli lidded box is almost done!

20221208_124551209.thumb.jpg.1809ac2412d56612be994b5813a5419f.jpg

Here the completed bowl sits, next to the lid which is in my large Cole jaws. The lid is all sanded and finished, but I need to shave away a tiny bit from the lip that seats into the top of the bowl, in order that it fit better. Right now, it's too tight. 

So I will attempt to make a microscopic adjustment with a freshly sharpened dismond parting tool. I expect that there will be a horrible catch or something, ruining the lid, and turning the box into an un-lidded bowl...

Mo is fine. (How does autocorrect turn "is" into "was"?) I will send a photo of him later, along with a picture of the finished, lidded box or the finished , un-lidded bowl.

• Love 2

The lid went flying and damaged itself. I've been working in this thing for over two weeks, and I'm not putting one more minute into it. I have eight days to make stuff for Brighton Farmer's Market and I'm starting with:

20221208_134448664.thumb.jpg.918cb432f6b079b6bdabe2d20c30d50a.jpg

An un-lidded bowl. 

Meanwhile, the phone has been ringing off the hook all day and my back is hurting, so id like to go lie down and takevavreat take a break with don't Panadol for luncheon. But I want to make something first.

There is a backhoe working near our house and Mo is keenly interested in what's going on over there.

20221208_134546998.jpg.db1e7682a2d66e14e44628627757df91.jpg

But he always had time to give daddy a kiss!

20221208_134552393.thumb.jpg.bf3e2e5a42fbc1ac4222bf45bbdbd393.jpg

Edited by Netfoot
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Kisses and booby traps. That's what you can expect when you have a ridge-backed, panther-black, wire haired, white toed Monster with an under-bite for a puppy!

20221208_171649161.thumb.jpg.e4f01e8706b5a9d0f090c3d3e524fd89.jpg

Placed in the garden as the sun was going down, where it could laugh at the soft soles of my Crocs when we went out for Garden Patrol, later tonight.

And just think: I gave him his lunch, and a considerable portion of my own, as well!

And don't think he can't play the innocent, coming and sitting by you when you sit on the curb of the driveway...

20221208_172346428.thumb.jpg.ecc4d9d8a0272dd570c079aeae86bc11.jpg

• Love 2