Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E20: Not That Type Of Girl

I read the one kissing scene with Connor and Daria next to the tree as Connor not being very interested.  Don't know if it was my interpretation, director's stage direction, or Gavin's discomfort but that's how I've always seen it.

I really hope Stef bringing Callie into the police process doesn't end up biting them in the ass. Though Stef does tons of illegal things and constantly intimidates people using her police status, so I doubt it will. I can just see how any lawyer would be able to get Sarah's confession thrown out and bring into question how the charges against Liam were brought about.

Jude and Connor are so precious. I love them so much. I'd be perfectly happy watching an hour of the Jude/Connor show.

I felt for Mariana in this episode. Her conversation with her grandparents broke my heart. I hope they're able to be a part of her and Jesus' life now. I figured the Christmas presents were something the grandpa sent after the adoption had already been finalized. It's like he knew he wouldn't be able to get Jesus and Mariana, but he wanted them to have something he had given to his other grandchildren as well. 

I liked the plot with Emma as well. She's trying to assert herself in two fields that are extremely masculine and doesn't want to do anything that could mess it up. Even if she might like dancing, she knows that she's already got a difficult road ahead of her. I personally would have liked to see her speak up in the STEM class about not being comfortable with the marketing aspect of things. I also disagree that the rest of the dance team aren't athletes. Even dancing that is more sexualized takes a lot of physical agility and strength. It's just a different style, but it is definitely athletic in its own way. 

Yeah, Emma should speak up either in class or privately to the teacher, about wanting to do coding instead of marketing. That guy got his way by speaking up really quickly and confidently but that doesn't mean he was right.

Yes, it's not the dance team's fault that Emma didn't speak up and say she wanted to do coding instead. 

I really hope Stef bringing Callie into the police process doesn't end up biting them in the ass.

Me too. While this was an unbelievable, eye-roll inducing aspect of the story, I'm willing to fan-wank it as the writers just wanting to give Callie a face-to-face victory. She went through so much because of Liam but she never got the satisfaction of seeing him justly punished. So, what a triumphant moment for her to stand in front of him, healthy, safe and loved and able to basically slam the door on his incarceration.

I read the one kissing scene with Connor and Daria next to the tree as Connor not being very interested.  Don't know if it was my interpretation, director's stage direction, or Gavin's discomfort but that's how I've always seen it.

Agreed. Although I wonder if it's partly because it's hard to compare Connor/Jude to Connor/anyone else. Connor/Jude has developed over quite some time, been layered with subtle, unspoken moments and feels like something many fans have invested in. Unless Gavin and the actress/actor somehow had smokin hot chemistry (which I'm not convinced is possible with young teen actors) I think it would be hard to tell who else Connor might be interested in.

As far as the Emma/Mariana coding issue goes, I'm glad the show chose this as a topic and I appreciate that they're trying to show it from multiple perspectives. Girls (and women) face this sort of thing all the time. The assumption tends to be that women are marketing, nursing and secretarial rather than coders, doctors and CEOs. Any of these careers is admirable, it's the assumption that's galling and limiting.

I really appreciate that they've given Emma the confidence and self-awareness to state that she's the best coder in the group. As generalizations go, girls tend to be more prone to self-doubt. (ie, a guy could get a C and still think he's the best whereas a girl could get an A and still have doubts about her ability).

Edited by wagthedog
  • Love 1

RE the Liam conviction, I was worried they'd get in trouble because Callie took Sarah's purse and rifled through it without permission. I also found it lacking credibility that Sarah would just leave her purse lying around in a public place so Callie could do that. But I'm hand-waving it all and hope the show is, too.