Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: A Big Bates Thanksgiving

• Start Topic

For most people that round of testing is optional and not covered by insurance unless there is a medical reason for it.  There are some labs who will do the gender testing at the patient's request just like the "entertainment" ultrasounds.

• Love 1

For most people that round of testing is optional and not covered by insurance unless there is a medical reason for it.  There are some labs who will do the gender testing at the patient's request just like the "entertainment" ultrasounds.

This has been my experience (with my sister) as well. The only ones who had the genetic testing were the ones who had trouble staying pregnant or were at an "advanced maternal age".

The only ones who had the genetic testing were the ones who had trouble staying pregnant

Since Erin had 3 miscarriages in under two years, I would imagine she falls under this one. :)

• Love 2

I just got a chance to see this episode last night.  What is wrong with those parents?!  If grandma Jane (who is adorable, BTW) doesn't like germs or people standing on a table others are going to eat off of, why does the CHILD get to mouth off and tell her, the owner of their home where they are a GUEST, that it is no big deal?  Gil should have been telling Carlin to get down now! Decorations are not that important.  No wonder Alyssa doesn't want that heard in their house.

And Aunt Ginny (or is it Jenny?) doesn't like cup after cup being used so the sink is piled high with them?  I don't blame her at all!  The kind thing would be for Kelly to bring a bunch of disposable cups with the kids names already written on them and use those there.  I swear they do not know how to be good guests.  For shame.

• Love 2

I like this family a lot (I just don't agree with many of their beliefs) but this episode really bothers me because it highlights that Gil went to high school and got to play sports on actual teams and his kids didn't get the same chance. Trace looked really talented at football -what if he went to a real school and participated in sports and got a scholarship to play in college? You never know and we will never know because of Gil and Kelly. I don't know why it bothers me so much but it does I just feel so many experiences were robbed from these kids. The Duggar kids are useless but the Bates kids seem to have actual potential

• Love 1
(edited)

Or take off the table clothes and put them back on after she was finished. She laughed but I'm with her grandmother, I wouldn't want to eat on a table where someone was walking around on it with their shoes. That's gross.

Loved the dancing! That was adorable! And one of the boys joined into dance with his grandma? Too cute.

LOL- I love that you call it table clothes!  I haven't heard that in years.  My grandmother used to say that all the time.  My mother always called sheets and such bed clothes. I did for a while and later I noticed that a lot of people had no idea what I was talking about!  

Edited by truthtalk2014

Bitter Apple, to answer your question: yes. There is no other tenable solution for a Thanksgiving "reveal" when she wasn't far enough along for ANYONE to know. She is 26 weeks now, so only 10 weeks ago, which would have been in late December, would have been about the earliest they would have found out the gender. 

You know the networks hate this crap!  People figuring out their BS!  

I had a blood test at 10 weeks that told me the gender of my baby and it was correct. When Erin went to the doctor she said she was going for the results. My doctor told me the results of my blood test about a week or two after I had it done so I think that is how Erin found out the gender so early. The anatomy scan where you traditionally find out the sex at closer to 20 weeks - they generally tell you right there what the sex is or they write it down for you - you don't go back to the doctor's office to find out.

I had a blood test at 10 weeks that told me the gender of my baby and it was correct. When Erin went to the doctor she said she was going for the results. My doctor told me the results of my blood test about a week or two after I had it done so I think that is how Erin found out the gender so early. The anatomy scan where you traditionally find out the sex at closer to 20 weeks - they generally tell you right there what the sex is or they write it down for you - you don't go back to the doctor's office to find out.

Wow.  That's how behind the times I am on this.  I knew they could with an amnio earlier but I didn't know about a blood test.  

Wow. That's how behind the times I am on this. I knew they could with an amnio earlier but I didn't know about a blood test.

No worries as a previous poster mentioned it is fairly standard testing now especially for women over 35 or other pregnancies considered higher risk- it checks for genetic defects and finding out the sex is a nice bonus to it.

Jeb and the bucket were adorable! I loved how natural it appeared when Gil swung him up on his shoulders. I don't think we'd ever see The Boob with a kid on his shoulders.

Jim Bob would be too worried about his hair getting messed up to allow a child on his shoulders.

• Love 1