Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: The Kenyon Family

• Start Topic

James Spader is not a good enough reason to watch a show that has so many bland characters.

Spader is great as Red, but I think the other actors/characters are just fine and the show wouldn't be as good without them. Especially Megan Boone as Lizzie. I'm not sure what people are expecting to see from her...Lizzie is supposed to be naive, inexperienced, and in over her head (and I feel Megan captures that). If she was clever and witty and could go toe-to-toe with Red we wouldn't have the right dynamic between the two of them. I actually love their relationship, find it believable and it is my favorite part of The Blacklist.

Spader is great as Red, but I think the other actors/characters are just fine and the show wouldn't be as good without them. Especially Megan Boone as Lizzie. I'm not sure what people are expecting to see from her...Lizzie is supposed to be naive, inexperienced, and in over her head (and I feel Megan captures that). If she was clever and witty and could go toe-to-toe with Red we wouldn't have the right dynamic between the two of them. I actually love their relationship, find it believable and it is my favorite part of The Blacklist.

My thing with Lizzie is this:

1) The pilot made her out to be this “tough as nails” character that could go toe to toe with Red, and every now and then we see flashes of that character. She's written all over the place and it seems like it depends on the writer which Lizzie we'll get. I suppose her erratic nature fits with her personality- I agree, she's supposed to be naïve- I just think she's too erratic to be believable. That's just me, though.

2) I think the big point for me is that Lizzie has told Red, on numerous occassions, that she's not happy with how he treats and manipulates her. Thus, if Lizzie recognizes things are so toxic, why stick around? I might have bought that in S1, bot not midway through S2.

(edited)

Since the Bobby Darin version of  "Beyond the Sea" was recorded in 1959 ( I had to look that up, I'm not that old), I took the implication that it was from the JFK era, if not the actual vehicle.  Or maybe it was just a red herring.  Bad joke, sorry.

I didn't get a good enough look at the car to figure out what time frame it was from.  I thought it might have been the JFK assassination car, but I don't the the top was right.  And the car itself might not have anything to do with what was in the case, so it's probably a moot point anyway... yeah, I need the next ep, dang it.  

Not a classic car expert,  but I know the Lincoln buried under "David Koresh's" church was a newer model than the actual death car, which had a usually open top. (Yes, I'm old enough to remember the assassination, now get off my lawn.)

Pleasant surprise hearing (presumably) Bobby Darin.

Glen is my new favorite character. I would pay to see a show of just his trip in Red's G5.

Edited by torqy
  • Love 1

I thought that looked a lot like the JFK limo which, as I remember, was a dark blue 1961 Lincoln Continental that could have the roof removed to be a convertible.  I wrote a report for school, Torqy and I will go sit in the "I'm too old to be posting in a TV forum" section of the room, and I think the real limo had a lot of modifications after 1963 like armor, bulletproof glass and handholds for the Secret Service.  It remained in service for many years as an official limo and I think it is in a museum now.

That said, I would love for Red to have absconded with the real limo because there's some evidence of some conspiracy and have hidden it for years under Rev. Creepy's pulpit.  I love Red doing anything conspiracy-ish.  He makes the show worth watching.

The JFK limo is in the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI, along with the first McDonalds, the Wright Brothers' shop and Thomas Edison's soul in a test tube (I am not making that last one up). Of course, this is the Blacklist, so that may not be the real JFK limo, although I can't imagine how it matters.