Type keyword(s) to search

Untreatable: Unpopular Opinions

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

(edited)
4 hours ago, pottercj said:

As someone else who also attended med school, Neela's ambivalence rings pretty true to me. By the time I reached my third year of residency, the amount of people I'd gone to school with who were actively searching for non-clinical jobs after putting in all that fucking effort was pretty high. 

I think we must be from different eras.  Back in the mid-80's when I was in training, I don't recall anyone going the non-clinical route except a really brilliant lab geek friend who felt an MD would help in getting $ for research and another guy who got an MBA before going to med school because he wanted to be a hospital administrator and had an uncle who had gone that route.  I remember being bewildered by that plan.

Back in those far-off days, it wasn't until people practiced a decade or so after residency that they had a mid-life crisis and started looking for ways to use their MD without doing clinical work.

Nowadays, I work for a massive major hospital system and it seems like a lot of the young docs in the rank and file are working on their MBA or otherwise trying to find a way to move away from seeing patients and into pushing paper.  

Edited by Notabug

My very unpopular opinion. I rewatched seasons 4-10 this past week, I am still on 10. I have been watching the eps on  Pop too. 

I am a huge fan of Luka and Abby, I have liked them since season 7 but wasn't SOLD on them until season 12. 

I am of the humble opinion that, Abby owed Luka an apology. I thought her behavior and treatment of him in season 7, 8 and 9 were a tad reprehensible. I feel this way because I know/knew people like that in real life. They mistreat a person because in the back of their minds, they have a follow up plan, her follow up was Carter.  She let Carter get in her ear and she entertained his blatant disrespect to Luka. Even in season 9 I felt she was short, dismissive and a little rude to Luka several times because she had Carter,  Welp, the reality of Carter did not live up to the fantasy(and vice versa) and she found herself flat on her ass.  Outside of that fight in season 8, Luka was never unkind to her, was a better friend than Carter never was and never threw his deeds in her face. Luke genuinely liked Abby and she behaved like a simple ass.  She's very lucky she got a second chance with him. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I don't remember Phase II of their relationship, but my read on Phase I was that if I could somehow set aside the utterly bizarre decision to continue dating someone who killed a man on their first date, they had a pretty simple, comfortable relationship, but they didn't really get to know each other enough to truly connect.  He was absolutely ugly to her that break-up night (after being an inconsiderate ass all night), but Abby saying she thinks they both knew the relationship was dead but neither one of them had wanted to call it felt like an accurate description of the time leading up to that.

I liked her friendship with Carter, but once he decided he wanted something different from her, he acted like she was supposed to know that and, worse, was somehow doing something wrong by ever discussing her relationship with her boyfriend with her friend.  I wish they'd just stayed friends; I generally like Carter as a friend, but not as a boyfriend.

I liked that Abby and Luka salvaged a friendship after their break-up, and that it wasn't an easy, instant thing, but I don't remember how they started dating again, or anything about them falling in love, getting married, having a kid, etc.  The show just doesn't interest me in general by that time, and while I think Abby is fine and mostly like Luka as a doctor (other than when he does things that kill patients because he's working fatigued and hung over, good lords), I never fully embraced him outside of the hospital -- they introduced him as having that obsession with Carol's fetuses, and I never got over the creepy factor.

• Like 2
On 8/18/2024 at 3:06 PM, Bastet said:

I don't remember Phase II of their relationship, but my read on Phase I was that if I could somehow set aside the utterly bizarre decision to continue dating someone who killed a man on their first date, they had a pretty simple, comfortable relationship, but they didn't really get to know each other enough to truly connect. 

Abby was not only ok with continuing to see Luka, she actually pursued him in the immediate aftermath of the beating.  She sought him out, went to his hotel and fell into bed with him, less than 24 hours later.  That was just weird and kind of creepy, like she was turned on by watching him kill a guy.  I don't think Luka would've continued to see her had it all been left to him.

16 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Abby was not only ok with continuing to see Luka, she actually pursued him in the immediate aftermath of the beating.  She sought him out, went to his hotel and fell into bed with him, less than 24 hours later.  That was just weird and kind of creepy, like she was turned on by watching him kill a guy.  I don't think Luka would've continued to see her had it all been left to him.

She also asked about his dead wife in S7 after they had made out and then he started talking about the bishop. Nothing wrong with those conversations per se, but it just felt weird to write them in in that moment while they were lying in bed naked.

I doubt Luka and Abby would have stayed together in S12 had she not gotten accidentally pregnant. And I think that despite what he said, he would have left her eventually had she had an abortion. He can say anything he wants about how he wanted her no matter what to make her feel good, but give it a month or two and he’d be gone for a woman who wanted children. They definitely wouldn’t have gotten married. I think Abby knew that and she decided to keep the baby so he’d stay around. 

• Like 1
(edited)
On 8/18/2024 at 3:06 PM, Bastet said:

I liked her friendship with Carter, but once he decided he wanted something different from her, he acted like she was supposed to know that and, worse, was somehow doing something wrong by ever discussing her relationship with her boyfriend with her friend.  I wish they'd just stayed friends; I generally like Carter as a friend, but not as a boyfriend.

Just re watching the series(Yet again) There was quite a few things Carter did that irked me. People love to bring up Luka's "Not so pretty or special" comment but Carter started a whole rumor(lie) on Abby in season 7 and for me, that's worse.  Not to mention, accusing Luka of wanting Abby drunk because she's easier that way. Boy Carter would have gotten punched dead in his mouth if I were Luka 🤣

1 hour ago, Notabug said:

Maybe she was. Right or wrong.  It's clear, she was attracted and smitten by him and the beating was not so black and white TO ME. That man literally could have killed Luka, as hard as he hit him over the head. 

Edited by Mrsmaul2021
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Mrsmaul2021 said:

Just re watching the series(Yet again) There was quite a few things Carter did that irked me. People love to bring up Luka's "Not so pretty or special" comment but Carter started a whole rumor(lie) on Abby in season 7 and for me, that's worse.  Not to mention, accusing Luka of wanting Abby drunk because she's easier that way. Boy Carter would have gotten punched dead in his mouth if I were Luka 🤣

Maybe she was. Right or wrong.  It's clear, she was attracted and smitten by him and the beating was not so black and white TO ME. That man literally could have killed Luka, as hard as he hit him over the head. 

Of course, Luka was right to defend himself.  However, he went far, far beyond that, pounding the guy's head on the pavement long after he was obviously incapacitated.  Abby was screaming at him to stop long, long before he did.  He had every right to protect himself and Abby; he was not right to serve as judge and jury and carry out the execution right then and there.

15 minutes ago, Notabug said:

Of course, Luka was right to defend himself.  However, he went far, far beyond that, pounding the guy's head on the pavement long after he was obviously incapacitated.  Abby was screaming at him to stop long, long before he did.  He had every right to protect himself and Abby; he was not right to serve as judge and jury and carry out the execution right then and there.

I hear you,  I do but,  I think we as fans tend to overlook Luka's own PTSD/problems. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Mrsmaul2021 said:

I hear you,  I do but,  I think we as fans tend to overlook Luka's own PTSD/problems. 

I don't think I overlooked it, but I don't think it is sufficient reason to excuse Luka for murdering the guy in cold blood.  Doesn't work like that in the real world for the most part, either.