Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Untreatable: Unpopular Opinions

I agree the Peter/Reese storyline is awful. The only justification I can think of is they wanted a storyline for him to leave the show and that was the best they could come up with--instead of having him die like just about everyone else towards the end. I am glad they didn't kill him! I still love the Peter/Carter good bye scene and Peter's return to help Carter at the end of the last season. So I guess what I'm saying is if I had to choose between (a) terrible out of character ending for Peter and (b) Peter exiting by dying, I'll put up with (a).

But they really could have had him decide to leave for lots of reasons without messing with his character. Lots of people decide they want jobs with stable hours.

1 hour ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I agree the Peter/Reese storyline is awful. The only justification I can think of is they wanted a storyline for him to leave the show and that was the best they could come up with--instead of having him die like just about everyone else towards the end. I am glad they didn't kill him! I still love the Peter/Carter good bye scene and Peter's return to help Carter at the end of the last season. So I guess what I'm saying is if I had to choose between (a) terrible out of character ending for Peter and (b) Peter exiting by dying, I'll put up with (a).

But they really could have had him decide to leave for lots of reasons without messing with his character. Lots of people decide they want jobs with stable hours.

If you put it that way then I'm not that mad. I still think it was a horrible exit for a beloved character. I did like how in the series finale Peter seemed to jumpstart his romance with Alex again.

The Doug/Carol/twins custody issue was also handled horribly. Doug and Carol had a loving relationship. Their pregnancy was PLANNED. Then all of a sudden we're to believe that Carol needs to fax Doug her pregnancy news and that she won't accept child support from him? Whatever.  The ER producers were lucky that Clooney was a good sport and agreed to come back not once but twice for viewers to go away with good feelings about Doug. 

Another custody issue that was handled pretty badly was Jeanie quitting without even telling Kerry because she had that foster child Carlo. Kerry had gone above and beyond for Jeanie for so many years that Jeanie quitting without notification just didn't seem like something Jeanie would do.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Another custody issue that was handled pretty badly was Jeanie quitting without even telling Kerry because she had that foster child Carlo. Kerry had gone above and beyond for Jeanie for so many years that Jeanie quitting without notification just didn't seem like something Jeanie would do.

I don't know, Jeanie shit on Kerry's professional support and personal friendship several times, so while I generally like Jeanie, I don't think that inconsiderate move was also an inconsistent one.

instead of having him die like just about everyone else towards the end

At that point I think the only person who was killed off was Lucy, no?

Another custody issue that was handled pretty badly was Jeanie quitting without even telling Kerry because she had that foster child Carlo.

But she did. At least they had a goodbye scene together.

7 hours ago, Hiyo said:

At that point I think the only person who was killed off was Lucy, no?

But she did. At least they had a goodbye scene together.

no. By the end of the show (I'm not just referring to the moment Peter left but the show itself as people started to leave), Mark had died, Romano got killed by a helicopter, M. Pfeifer's character died. . . not sure that is everyone.

Ah, I was referring to the time Peter left. It was still only Lucy at that point, though Mark died soon after Peter left, no?

The show had 25 or 26 leads, and only 5 were killed off (Lucy, Mark, Romano, Gallant, and Pratt). So not as high a ratio as people think it is.

Edited by Hiyo

4 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Ah, I was referring to the time Peter left. It was still only Lucy, though Mark died soon after Peter left, no?

The show had 25 or 26 leads, and only 4 were killed off (Lucy, Mark, Romano, and Gallant). So not as high a ratio as people think it is.

I understand your point--but that leaves 5 killed off because I had forgotten about Gallant. so that makes Pratt, Lucy, Mark, Romano and Gallant. I almost count Ray since they took his legs off.

8 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Ah, I was referring to the time Peter left. It was still only Lucy at that point, though Mark died soon after Peter left, no?

The show had 25 or 26 leads, and only 5 were killed off (Lucy, Mark, Romano, Gallant, and Pratt). So not as high a ratio as people think it is.

LOL.  I get your point, but if one out of five people in my workplace was meeting an untimely end, I think I'd be looking for other opportunities.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 3

18 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

LOL.  I get your point, but if one out of five people in my workplace was meeting an untimely end, I think I'd be looking for other opportunities.

Technically, though, Gallant didn't die at the workplace, but while overseas in the service...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Lucy and Romano would make me want to leave.  Especially Romano.  In the real world I would wonder what curse is on the place.  It’s one thing to die from cancer.  It’s another to be stabbed repeatedly and have a helicopter rip your arm off and then finish the job later on. (What they did with Romano was beyond absurd)

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Well, yeah, that's the real world lol

But I was just pointing out, the death rate show on this show seems to be inflated by fans. I mean heck, when I counted all the main cast, I was even shocked as I expected there to be more people who had died.

There's too many people to quote on this, but when it comes to characters leaving dead or alive, I've noticed shows tend to have a trend. Basically if one or two people have left alive, the next person to go is likely to be killed off for maximum impact.

L&O: UK: James and George leave alive, Matt is killed off (I'm still bawling about that)

NCIS: NOLA: Brody and Percy leave alive, LaSalle is killed off.

And this show--Susan and Doug leave alive, Lucy gets killed off.

On 1/8/2020 at 6:40 PM, Growsonwalls said:

The Doug/Carol/twins custody issue was also handled horribly. Doug and Carol had a loving relationship. Their pregnancy was PLANNED. Then all of a sudden we're to believe that Carol needs to fax Doug her pregnancy news and that she won't accept child support from him? Whatever.  The ER producers were lucky that Clooney was a good sport and agreed to come back not once but twice for viewers to go away with good feelings about Doug. 

I've never forgiven the writers for how poorly that was done. That and the Amanda Lee story were the lowest points of the dreadful 5th season. Doug had legitimately gotten his act together and it made no sense for him to blow everything up with a stunt like that. 

Then there's Carol's loopy explanation for keeping him away--"I told him not to come back. I was very strong. But I thought he would come!"

So you wanted him to come, told him "No" and now feel that because he respected your wishes, he didn't want to come? Huh?

I loved Carol, but her behavior that season drove me crazy. There's a great fanfic where Doug finally tells her off about it, pointing out that she could have come with him/let him come back/accepted his financial help, etc.

Edited by Camille
  • Like 2

On 1/9/2020 at 5:08 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I think it was after she had left the show, but I recall Julianna Margulies being quoted as commenting on the ridiculousness of the direction of the show when the patients are the doctors and nurses due to accident/crashes/fire/etc. She said something like, "The ER is supposed to be the place where we HELP people who are injured; we are not supposed to be the patients."

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 2:04 PM, RedbirdNelly said:

I understand your point--but that leaves 5 killed off because I had forgotten about Gallant. so that makes Pratt, Lucy, Mark, Romano and Gallant. I almost count Ray since they took his legs off.

Dennis Gant as well. He wasn't a main character, but still, an intern being hit by the L and dying in the E.R. would be a story that stuck around for staff.

There was a lean towards more melodramatic storylines, as the simple medical and personal dramas got stale (in the eyes of the writers, at least). In the first season, there's a masterclass in television writing as Mark dealt with that pre-eclampsia pregnancy in Love's Labor Lost. It's not big or flashy, just a seemingly standard medical procedure that gets out of hand and ends in tragedy. By season seven, the same Mark has to deal with a crazy dad who goes on a shooting rampage because Mark was involved in him losing custody of his son, and it ends with Mark letting the crazy dad die of a heart attack, when they're trapped together in an elevator.

• Like 1

For me, it's the stuff that happened at the hospital more than the number of people dying that raised an eyebrow or 3. Shootings, stabbing, helicopter crashes, explosions, quarantines...you'd think the hospital was located in a war zone or something.

• Like 4

On 1/12/2020 at 9:05 AM, Danny Franks said:

In the first season, there's a masterclass in television writing as Mark dealt with that pre-eclampsia pregnancy in Love's Labor Lost. It's not big or flashy, just a seemingly standard medical procedure that gets out of hand and ends in tragedy

When I did a rewatch on DVD a while back I had to skip that episode. It's just too  heartbreaking.  Even though you have watched it before and you know what is going to happen you want to yell at the TV what they need to do/not do.

On 1/12/2020 at 9:05 AM, Danny Franks said:

By season seven, the same Mark has to deal with a crazy dad who goes on a shooting rampage because Mark was involved in him losing custody of his son, and it ends with Mark letting the crazy dad die of a heart attack, when they're trapped together in an elevator.

I actually liked that.  Mark went through a lot throughout the series.  Some things I might have rolled my eyes at or gave a side eye to but him letting the guy die I found believable.

• Like 4

On 3/31/2019 at 2:56 AM, Cloud9Shopper said:

To me, it was a little unbelievable that no one expressed irritation at her constantly being in daycare with Tess when she was supposed to be working, constantly crying in the lounge or in the med room about her difficulties and her head being everywhere but work. And then she ran off in the middl

Malucci did and said that 'the Chief wouldn't stand for this'

I enjoyed Malucci’s time on the show once they started giving him, at least, flashes of depth and competence. I did NOT like the send off they gave him with the slur. 

People mention the time he wrote the message from that guy’s wife on the glove box and went back to read it to him after he’d died. That’s a great moment. 

He also had the episode with the hockey player with cancer around his heart that was inoperable. And I remember an episode where a little girl and her dad are brought in from a car accident, and Malucci discovers she’s being sexually abused by him. He reads to her from a storybook while Cleo (I think) does a rape kit and takes documentation photos to keep the girl’s mind off what’s happening and to keep her calm. 

• Like 3