Type keyword(s) to search

Supplemental Reading: Season 2 Ebooks

In the last 10 days, I've gotten the ebooks that accompany each of the first six episodes and I've quite enjoyed what I've read so far. If you've been reading them too, let's discuss them. Each is written by author Erin Kelly in conjunction with Chris Chibnall, the show writer.

The titles and characters featured in each book

1. The End Is Where It Begins - Focusing on Ellie

2. The Letter - Focusing on Maggie (the newspaper editor)

3. Old Friends - Focusing on Jocelyn

4. Over the Side - Focusing on Tess (Alec's ex)

5. Protection - Focusing on Sharon

6. One More Secret - Focusing on Beth

And to come

7. The Leaving of Claire Ripley - Focusing on Claire

8. Thirteen Hours - Focusing on Alec

If you've gotten them, what have you thought?

• Love 1

I've finished 1, 2, and 4-6 and I started #3. 7's downloaded too, and I can't wait for #8 next week.

I like that they give a little background to the characters' lives but the information in them is not crucial to the storyline of the show. My favourites have been the ones about Ellie's first days on the job in Devon and the one from Tess' POV about Sandbrook for what it said about Alec. The one about Beth was good for showing her exhaustion and frustration at trying to deal with social workers checking on her and baby Lizzie with a little too much zeal. Ellie's book and Sharon's book also touched on their exhaustion too, trying to cope as single mums.

The one about Maggie was OK, but her story isn't that tied to the Danny Latimer case so it was the weakest so far. I also wish Sharon and Jocelyn's books had been made 1 so another character could have been in the spotlight, especially since the lawyers have been hard to warm to in the show.

It was one of the David Tennant-focused blogs that said the books were available now. It looks like they aren't. I'm sorry. Anyway, I have added links to each book on Amazon. I hope that they'll become available once the series starts airing on BBC America.

Each ebook retails at $1.51 each and are available from Amazon.com

The End is Where It Begins,
    The Letter
    Old Friends
    Over the Side
    Protection
    One More Secret
    The Leaving of Claire Ripley
    Thirteen Hours

• Love 2

I hope they come down to that price. Right now if I go on Amazon they are priced at $3.86 to $3.89 each, utterly ridiculous for short stories of 16-18 pages. And I only found that pricing when I went to author Erin Kelly's page. The pages for the individual books say "pricing information not available."

• Love 1

Did anyone read Erin Kelly's Broadchurch novelization? A bit useless but she makes Ellie less likeable. And Hardy respects her less. Makes me wonder if some of the lighter moments between them on the show were ad-libbed or written on the spot.

I liked Ellie & Tess's ebooks. Hardy is such a walled up character it was cool to see some neediness on his part. And there is a moment in the Broadchuch novel when he refuses to take Ellie's hand (to get on a boat) but he has a longing to hold Tess's hand. He really does love her.

• Love 1