Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

PRGal, that makes total sense as a grown up, but, as a kid, roti at school would have been worst.  How would I have even tried to explain that?  LOL.  Funny how it all comes back around:  As an adult, I take pleasure in taking friend and coworkers to the roti shop close to work.  I love sharing my culture thru our bomb ass food.  Husband and I had curry and rice for Superbowl dinner.  American dream, y'all.  Per an interview from Eddie, I agree with his sentiment:  You learn to be fine with and have a certain amount of pride in not being insider enough, and yet not being a total outsider either.

Upon rewatch of the pilot, I found more great joy in 90s Magic gear.  This was before Shaq/Penny, but I remember we all would wear that gear.  I also appreciated his little brothers, who have been stealing the show in more recent episodes, and their sweetness.  

PRGal, that makes total sense as a grown up, but, as a kid, roti at school would have been worst.  How would I have even tried to explain that?  LOL.  Funny how it all comes back around:  As an adult, I take pleasure in taking friend and coworkers to the roti shop close to work.  I love sharing my culture thru our bomb ass food.  Husband and I had curry and rice for Superbowl dinner.  American dream, y'all.  Per an interview from Eddie, I agree with his sentiment:  You learn to be fine with and have a certain amount of pride in not being insider enough, and yet not being a total outsider either.

Upon rewatch of the pilot, I found more great joy in 90s Magic gear.  This was before Shaq/Penny, but I remember we all would wear that gear.  I also appreciated his little brothers, who have been stealing the show in more recent episodes, and their sweetness.  

But there's always curry sloppy joes (curry in burger buns)... :)  It would have been kind of like the char siu sandwiches I brought to school growing up. 

As an American growing up in Thailand, we had Thai food all the time. My sister and I went to the American school for a while and our housekeeper would pack Thai food for us every day.  As a treat on Fridays, we were allowed to buy food once a week from the cafeteria and it was so exciting to have a hot dog and some fries!

Our housekeeper was an amazing cook in Asian and Western food but there were times when things didn't really translate. My sister tried to describe tomato soup to her and we got something completely different: a clear chicken stock with peeled cherry tomatoes poached in it.

The question becomes did your family go as permanent expatriates or was it for work with and return to America always in mind? Thinking of being on an extended vacation from the motherland causes us to act differently from a total break and holding on to some aspects of the culture.