Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Bella

Arson investigator Samantha Orland calls upon the Special Crimes Unit for help with a case that gets escalated to attempted murder when a serial arsonist's most recent fire involves a family. Although all evidence points to a local fire artist, Backstrom is positive their arsonist is someone they least suspect. The investigation takes a turn when the team discovers evidence missing from the crime scene and Backstrom suspects someone insides the investigation. Meanwhile, Backstrom gets tormented by childhood neighbors who stole something very special from him when he was younger and Valentine helps Niedermayer recover stolen evidence.

Was on the phone during the pilot so I missed a lot of the awful nuance you all are relating.

Tuned in tonight and was quite surprised.  There were depths that made everyone just a bit less "Houseian"

Needs work, but Epi 2 was FAR better than the pilot.

I almost didn't watch due to critical disdain and the meh of the pilot.  I think it has some medium potential now - if the character development, backstory and softening (slight) continues.

Needs work, but Epi 2 was FAR better than the pilot.

They did reduce the number of "I am you, I am thinking this and that", which helped a lot. Has anyone read the books this show is based on? Is this stupid device prominent in them? It reminded me of the books my 6-year-old kid is reading, where everything is explained explicitly and the reader is not really expected to connect the dots on his own.

I am conflicted. On the one hand, I like some characters and their potential. Dekker's character is almost a cartoon, but, strangely, I like him. Niedermeyer is pretty cool, Gravely could be made into something interesting. On the other hand, the plot is just so stupid and, in this episode, also juvenile.

...Needs work, but Epi 2 was FAR better than the pilot...

The Pilot was so awful that I thought the next episode had to be better--and it was. The end was quite good with him expressing joy at the kite and even saying that at least he could make one for Valentine--although I doubt it will happen any time soon. Lucky show to not be on Sunday or Monday, which are as crowded as any evening rush hour heading away from the city.

I will give the next episode a chance if it comes on when I'm not too busy to watch.

ETA: Kristoffer Polaha is making the most of his role as Niedermayer, which oddly suits him. Even if the show gets yanked soon, maybe someone with cast Polaha in a similar role after seeing him in this one.

Edited by shapeshifter

I personally am not impressed.  I hope something happens real soon to pique my interest.  With all the negative press about police these days, a series with an anti-hero who is both unkempt, antisocial, and who carries a strong disregard for the rule of law just doesn't impress me anymore, such that I don't really care that he's a great detective.