Type keyword(s) to search

Soundtracks From Movies and Musical Theater

Shannon L.
  • Start Topic

My daughter and I saw Wicked last night and I just loved a few of the songs.  It made me start thinking of other songs from musicals that I also enjoy.  The songs that I like (that I can think of right now--I'm sure I'll think of more later) are:

Memory from Cats

Buenos Aires from Evita (although, I like Madonna's version from the movie)

Who Knows from West Side Story

All for the Best and Light of the World from Godspell

I Love You, I Do from Dream Girls

I Have Confidence from The Sound of Music (but, I don't remember if this was in the stage show or just the movie)

Defying Gravity and For Good from Wicked

There are also movie soundtracks that are awesome!  Remember the 70s and 80s and how great the movie songs were (and Kenny Loggins seemed to be the go-to guy :) ?  You don't hear soundtracks like that very often these days.  Some favorites of mine:

Can You Picture That?  from The Muppet Movie (yes, The Muppet Movie--I'll never be ashamed of that :)

Footloose

St. Elmo's Fire

I'm Free from Top Gun

I'm Alright from Caddyshack

Holiday Roads from National Lampoon's Vacation

And many from the Saturday Night Fever.

What are your favorites?

• Love 1

So many from South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut, but in particular:

Mountain Town

Uncle Fucka

Blame Canada

What Would Brian Boitano Do?

and especially, La Resistance, which is a perfect take on the closing number of the first act of Les Miserables.

NSFW:

• Love 3

So many from South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut, but in particular:

Mountain Town

Uncle Fucka

Blame Canada

What Would Brian Boitano Do?

and especially, La Resistance, which is a perfect take on the closing number of the first act of Les Miserables.

NSFW:

I love "Uncle Fucka"! Philip's vibrato in the 2nd verse cracks me up every time

On the flip-side, my favorite movie musical moment is "God's Trying to Tell You Something" from The Color Purple

http://youtu.be/9Z8WRdGIZoU

Can You Picture That?  from The Muppet Movie (yes, The Muppet Movie--I'll never be ashamed of that :)

I could never be ashamed of liking The Muppet Movie. I'm Going to Go Back There Someday always makes me tear up a bit, and of course I love Rainbow Connection along with Can You Picture That?. My favorite line from Can You Picture That?  "Even Santa Claus believes in you."

• Love 1

My 15 year old daughter has become obsessed with the Hamilton soundtrack.  She turned my husband on to it, now he's obsessed with it. So, I downloaded it and listened through it and while I really enjoy it, I'm not quite as crazed as they are with the exceptions of two songs: 

Helpless (Which I think is beautiful)

You'll Be Back (A message to the colonies from King George, which I find very funny--and fun. They used the Beatles as their inspiration for the music)

Edited by Shannon L.