Type keyword(s) to search

The Cast and Crew of American Crime

Yes, The Timothy Hutton Crush is a sacred and holy thing. I actually thought about his breakdown/breakthrough scene in Ordinary People during the bathroom scene, but mostly because I was thinking about his dad, Jim.  There is a strong resemble between them, but I just realized during the show that Tim is about 14 years older than his dad was when he died. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Oh yes. The Ordinary People breakdown was epic. Snot flowing, everything. I have the DVD...yet I still put the movie in my Netflix queue.  The bathroom scene last night was reminiscent of that.

I'd love to see him get some Emmy recognition from this. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars

It's amazing how good of an actress FH is that she can make someone with the most sympathetic backstory and current crisis absolutely abhorrent and unlikeable. 

• Love 2

I am an unabashed Felicity Huffman fan, and from all accounts she seems like a lovely woman, so I applaud her ability to play a character that I find so grating. (Although plenty of folks found Dana Whitaker and Lynette Scavo pretty hard  to deal with, so I guess she's not so far removed from playing annoying people.) Barb Skokie just has such a gigantic chip on her shoulder, not just with regard to her husband but with everyone. Her pushing for Gwen's parents to speak to the press when they were still feeling raw was over the line, IMO, and her insistence that Matt be buried where it's convenient for her (as opposed to near his own wife) was kind of rotten. I know she has bad memories of Modesto, but her son chose to keep that as his home and she should respect that.

Also, when she was pushing for the hate crime designation, and the DA (??) said it came across as overzealous, I wanted to respond to her "To who?" with "To WHOM." /grammar pedantry

• Love 5

As I said in the episode 5 thread:

Barb isn't a one-dimensional racist. She's stuck in the past, steeped in denial, and painfully lacking in self-awareness. According to Mark, Barb forced Matt to join the Army because she thought it would "fix" him. (To quote Mark, "The Army isn't family counseling, Mom.") She's known for years that Matt was a drug addict, but insists the cops planted those drugs in the house—or they're Gwen's. 

When Aliyah was talking with people outside the courtroom last episode, Barb seethed, "Look at them with their head scarves—celebrating," then shrieked, "You people have no right talking about my son like that. He was a good man, and you can all just go to hell!" Hell yes, she's racist. But then she has the gall to say, "That isn't me. I don't lose myself—I'm controlled." In Barb's own mind, she is never, ever wrong. Ever.

Racism is only one of Barb's many problems. She's the most messed-up mother on TV since Bates Motel's Norma Bates.

A 54 year old man, his 27 year old son, and Dad's 26 year old girlfriend living under one roof. What could possibly go wrong?  Hilarity ensues. ABC will probably use it as the basis for a Fall sitcom. 

I can't even get into this show, I'm sad to say. I put it on, read or putz around on the computer, and when I hear Hutton's voice, I turn around and look at the TV. I don't really count that as watching, because I really have no idea what's been going on since episode 2. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 1

Series creator John Ridley said in a statement, “She’s phenomenal in all regards, and is going to be at the center of a story that deals with physicality, sexuality and societal boundaries with the same urgency as our first season dealt with race and faith."

As TVLine exclusively reported earlier this month, much of the Season 2 action is expected to take place at an elite prep school in the midwest that boasts a disparate student body, including a gay basketball star. According to Ridley, the sophomore season will “deal a lot more with class,” as well as “gender issues, sexual orientation and sexual identity.”