Type keyword(s) to search

Shameless In Chicago, Pick Your Nits

The Collector
  • Start Topic

Where are we?  North Lawndale?  Back of the Yards?  Farther South?  A non-existant North Side address?  Location, location, location.  I wish they had hired a continuity person for all things Chicago for this show, but they haven't, so there are always nits to be picked. 

I've got a few.

Sammi saying she bought something at "Jewel Osco" last season. People from the area almost never say that, you just call it Jewel.

Fiona not knowing who The Fridge was. Maybe this is because I'm older than her, but I really do think almost every Chicagoan knows the names of the starting lineup of the Superbowl team. I mean i've never sat through an entire football game in my life and I know most of their names.

Ian pronouncing the word 'aunt' like 'ah-nt' instead of 'ant.' (This actually sounds sort of pretentious to Illinois ears!)

• Love 1

Also, people say "The Jewel"

This could be because I grew up in various Chicago suburbs (but not the City itself) but I heard plain "Jewel" far more than "The Jewel".  But like I said, I never lived in the city and the closest I ever got was Evanston, so I really don't know Chicago all that well (and especially the South Side).

Edited by Blue Castle

The location of the house they film for the exterior of the Gallagher is 2118 S. Homan Ave. The house they use for Kev and Veronica's is on the same block. The house they use for Sheila's is at 1937 S. Spaulding Ave. They are on the edge of North Lawndale. 

I'm pretty sure the show purports to be located in Back of the Yards. But all these shows suffer from some lack of continuity regarding location.

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 7:54 PM, Blue Castle said:

This could be because I grew up in various Chicago suburbs (but not the City itself) but I heard plain "Jewel" far more than "The Jewel".  But like I said, I never lived in the city and the closest I ever got was Evanston, so I really don't know Chicago all that well (and especially the South Side).

Chicago proper all  my life and I never say "The Jewel," and neither does my family. In one episode (I just finished a binge watch), Sammi says "The Aldi." Ummm...nope!

An overnite  radio talk show host on WGN calls it The Jewel - that's how it was referred to  when he was growing up....Going to the Jewel

He's also said he worked at The Jewel

Don't know why it was never used that way with Dominick's

The Gallaghers' would also call their living room 'the Front Room' and it would  be pronounced   like' Frunch Room' -  heard it  said that from all the relatives

Edited by sheetmoss

I'm late to the game, never had Showtime before, so I just started watching from the beginning last month.  I'm now done with S3.  One thing that really stood out to me was the ep where Frank woke up in Mexico (S2, I think).  It was Easter, and in Chicago they were running around in shorts in t-shirts.  Yeah, right.  Similarly, in one ep it was the first day of school, and everyone was bundled up like it was late October.  I get that it has to do with when they film, but jeesh.

• Love 1