Type keyword(s) to search

S28.E12: Live To Tell: Sole Survivor

photo fox
  • Start Topic

Yeah, this one was a heart-breaker, but I was so impressed with that then girl/now woman.  And the members of law enforcement that continued on in her life, awesome.  There's so much negativity about police officers these days, but when I watch these shows, I'm blown away by how tender-hearted some of them are and how much they care about the victims.

• Love 6

The first cop she interacted with, who went with her to feed her animals, because that's what she really wanted to do?  Kerplunk went my cold dead heart, especially when he stayed in her life thereafter.

I'm the first to bag on bad cops, but so many of them are good and decent human beings, too.

• Love 7

I watch all these shows, and I do mean ALL of them.  My husband says I am addicted to Murder Death Kill TV, and he's probably right, but I only watch the real stories - never any of the scripted crime dramas.  This one ripped me to shreds so badly, it's in my Top 5 of all time most moving and horrifying stories I've ever watched on television.

Robin Doan is an amazing person, and clearly always has been.  I can't imagine being so well composed, coherent and having so many details committed to memory at that age.  It nearly made my heart burst when she said that she doesn't go to a therapist because if she wants to talk to someone, she can talk to family or to the people in the police department who helped her on that horrible day, and have continued to ever since.  To know that she was able to call 911 and get exactly the help she needed, from people who genuinely care and think of it as more than just their jobs...it restored my faith in humanity quite a bit. 

Finding out that you couldn't possibly get any more random than this massacre was pretty shocking.  We like to think that we learn ways to protect ourselves when we hear cautionary tales of horror such as this, but what can anyone do when a psychopath who has already killed two people happens to drive down your street in the middle of the night, see your house, and decides to just kick in the door and shoot everyone?  A house alarm would not have prevented it.  A steel door wouldn't, he would have just come in through a window.  Keeping a gun in your bedroom only works if you are awake and alert and know that someone is coming in to kill you, so if you're sleeping, there is absolutely nothing you can do to protect yourself or your family.  What is more terrifying than the thought that people capable of this are walking around, right now, and could be anywhere?  It's honestly too much for my brain to handle. 

I find it disgusting that he was not given the death penalty.  I'm not a fan of DP as a general rule, but if ever a monster deserved to die while victims of his crimes watched, it's this one.

• Love 4
I find it disgusting that he was not given the death penalty.  I'm not a fan of DP as a general rule, but if ever a monster deserved to die while victims of his crimes watched, it's this one.

Agreed, and I'm trying to phrase this diplomatically.  I'm not a conservative in terms of politics, but I had zero problem with the death penalty in this case, due both to what happened and the fact that Robin thought the death penalty was appropriate.  Texas is *ahem* "known" for certain political leanings, so I was fairly confident that the punishment that Robin wanted would be what happened.  I was shocked that in THIS particular instance, of all possible instances, the defense foumd one Texan who apparently was more liberal than conservative.  I'm comforted by the fact that Levi is not in Robin's state, as she put it, and he's in Missouri.  At least she has that.

The first cop she interacted with, who went with her to feed her animals, because that's what she really wanted to do?

Chad something.  He too gets a thumbs up from me.  He's awesome, along with the older DA dude as well.  What made my heart go in my throat was how Chad kept repeating "I couldn't get there fast enough.  I just couldn't get there fast enough."

The epilogue at the end said Robin has decided to leave Pampa.  Wherever she is, I hope she is welll.

Edited by Ohmo