Type keyword(s) to search

S25: Maksim Chmerkovskiy

• Start Topic

Of course most of the stuff on DWTS is to some degree staged, edited, manipulated and faked. That's the nature of reality shows. Maks is a reality show performer. His assigned role is the foreign, tempestuous bad boy to Derek's All-American good guy. They're both reasonably convincing in these roles, so they've remained with the show for a long time. They've both also managed to some degree to walk the fine line between playing into these notions and going beyond that to show more complexity. So then you have people being all "Maks is totally misunderstood!", "Derek is much edgier than people give him credit for!". That's how you build a fanbase, heh. Since they're also really good at their "main jobs", dancing, it all works out. I personally find it entertaining.

This is really insightful. I hadn't ever really broken it down quite this way. Now, it seems really obvious that Maks as the hyper-masculine Lothario is being contrasted with Derek as the super-safe dancing Ken Doll. It also brings to mind the early season package where Charlie, arguably with a laid back cool surfer Ken Doll vibe of his own, gets Lothario lessons from Maks but puts his own spin on things. 

It's also interesting that Maks made a conscious effort to really pull away from his assigned role and Meryl was the perfect partner to help him do just that--and then along comes ALM and the skit to get his grandma on the air. He lamented in one of the red carpet interviews that he'd almost made it through the whole season without bringing out the bad boy. Obviously, the folks running the show know exactly which buttons to push in order to get the story they want to tell.

• Love 2
(edited)

Of course most of the stuff on DWTS is to some degree staged, edited, manipulated and faked. That's the nature of reality shows. Maks is a reality show performer. His assigned role is the foreign, tempestuous bad boy to Derek's All-American good guy.

I agree with this. Maks isn't my favorite male pro partially because of his behavior (I was worried when I heard Meryl had been paired with him, tbh), but he's had partners talk about how their rehearsals often get edited to make them look like they were a lot more fraught than they actually were -- it's inevitable there will be moments of frustration, and I think with Maks those moments play with his overall image and tend to be shown more often than with some of the pros who don't have kind of an antagonistic image.

I also noticed in the first episode that Meryl's soundbite about "Maks has that image of being a bad boy, but he's really a gentleman," she'd been saying all over the place was edited to: "Maks has that image of being a bad boy but [obviously spliced in new quote:] it's really exciting." 

Maks valuation of Meryl should definitely be tied less to the devaluation of his other partners -- we all know he's had some partners he didn't get along with and maybe some of them were super annoying as I imagine many of the z-listers who do DWTS probably are, but definitely his publicist should have taught him how to give compliments. Instead of "it's not a burden" he can say "it's never been this much fun." (Although, lol, he's not one to pretend being a pro on DWTS is fun I guess...) Instead of she's not Hollywood, I don't have to tolerate her, he can say Meryl is wonderful and humble and whatever other compliments he wants to say. But he's definitely not the first pro to sort of obliquely refer to divaish behavior by other partners, and I did hear him compliment some of his partners like Kirstie and Mel and say they're his people in another interview where I remember him making some of these comments. Anyway! Maks is Maks.

Edited by fembotz
  • Love 1

Wow, okay. Like I said I actually don't follow Maks' media rounds other than hearing a thing or two or seeing something in passing but yeah that does kind of suck. I mean without question he's had some duds, hello Denise Richards but yeah I guess there are more flattering ways to praise Meryl.

I recommend reading the quotes for yourself because I flatly disagree with the assertion being made here that he's dissing his other partners. I see Maks in a positive light, others see him in a negative light and that colors the way we interpret his words.

To me, it's like what Maks said after the foxtrot when Erin asked why he was so proud of that dance. He started talking about how everything is just easier with Meryl. He then started to clarify that he wasn't saying his other partners weren't good and Erin stopped him and said that wasn't necessary. I think that Maks is just continuing with that line, he's praising Meryl and her ability, but I don't think he means that he never had other good partners. Maks is also being asked a lot why he's so different this season, so it's not like comparing this season to past seasons is something Maks is doing out of the blue. Nearly every interviewer is prompting him, asking why is he so much calmer and does Meryl have anything to do with that. 

Fair enough and not necessarily saying you are guilty of this, but I hope some of his fans who feel like this are also then fine with the fact many will hit back at some of his behavior and call it out. And that will be accepted, just as his behavior is without accusations of producer manipulation, editing, viewers hating him, being unfair, etc. It's a two-way street. Maks is all about "keeping it real and saying how he feels..." and well others will respond in kind. 

I think its fair for people to not like Maks. I don't think people need to even justify why they do or don't like him. Some people may have reasons, but we all have our own tastes. If someone criticizes Maks for something that I think is either a mis-characterization or untrue, I'll say so. 

Of course most of the stuff on DWTS is to some degree staged, edited, manipulated and faked. That's the nature of reality shows. Maks is a reality show performer. His assigned role is the foreign, tempestuous bad boy to Derek's All-American good guy. They're both reasonably convincing in these roles, so they've remained with the show for a long time. They've both also managed to some degree to walk the fine line between playing into these notions and going beyond that to show more complexity. So then you have people being all "Maks is totally misunderstood!", "Derek is much edgier than people give him credit for!". That's how you build a fanbase, heh. Since they're also really good at their "main jobs", dancing, it all works out. I personally find it entertaining.

To me, Derek has crafted his role more purposefully. After the great demented lines rant, I think Derek made a conscious effort to be camera ready as often as possible. Maks on the other hand shoots from the hip and gets himself in trouble. Sometimes he likes to say things to get a rise out of people out of jest, but he tends to step into things. I think Derek likes his good guy role more than Maks likes being the villain, but I agree both have benefited from the roles. To me, the fact that they both have appeal beyond those roles is key though. TPTB can't just turn anyone into the next big 'character' among the pros. Hence so many newbies have come and gone recently.

• Love 2

Sometimes things come across differently in print interviews than in TV interviews.  In the team USA video interview, he said that Meryl is "one of" his favorite partners.  When Access Hollywood asked him with Meryl right there whether she was his OMG favoritist partner EVER!! he took his time to respond, kind of weighed it up and said something like, "When you look at everything together, I'd say yes."  It's not insulting to his previous partners to admit that this particular partnership is special and functions better in a lot of different ways.  It's factual.

• Love 4

This is from early in this season  http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20797058,00.html

During practices with Davis, he says, "I noticed that I'm not nervous and I'm not stressing out, like I usually would be. I've got somebody who is at the top of their game – not a retired athlete with aches and pains and certain physical issues. She is in great shape. She's in great spirits. I got somebody who doesn't need to prove herself to anyone."

Beyond that, he likes her because she is "a normal person. She is so funny, friendly, hard working and physically capable. She's not dramatic. She's not 'too Hollywood.' I don't have to tolerate her every rehearsal. I like working with her. I don't have to suck it up like, 'Maks – this is the job. Do your job.' I am just enjoying the time I spend with her."

Seems pretty insulting to those former partners he had to tolerate every rehearsal.

• Love 2
(edited)

This is from early in this season: People Magazine Article

Seems pretty insulting to those former partners he had to tolerate every rehearsal.

If there have been partners whom he "had to tolerate during rehearsal," with whom he didn't like working and had to suck it up" and bolster himself in order to do his job, then it is what it is and it doesn't make me like or respect him less for saying so. Indeed, his honesty inspires me to like him more. His candor is a big part of what makes him entertaining and more importantly, relevant.

It's reasonable to surmise that former partners with whom Maks had a decent working relationship, or even friendship, know that he wasn't talking about them. I don't see a scenario in which they would feel insulted by his praise for Meryl since they know Maks personally.

The partners with whom Maks had to force himself to suck it up and tolerate in order to do his job, on the other hand, probably feel about him what he expressed about ALM. It's likely they don't care enough about how he feels about working with them to be insulted by implication as is being described above. Ergo, the statement is not insulting as far as I can tell.

Edited by Glaadrial
  • Love 3

New article from Ice Network about Meryl and Maks, with some interesting comments from him about her:

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/05/09/74876590/

"The amount of physical activity that Meryl has endured has been so overwhelming that it makes anything that I'd say that may sound remotely like a complaint absolutely ridiculous," Chmerkovskiy said. "She has been incredible."

"She doesn't say when something hurts," he noted. "She's the best partner I had. She's one of the best human beings I've ever met. I have absolutely nothing but praise and admiration for her."

"All of the little things are very hard," he continued. "The way Meryl overcomes them, not just the way she overcomes them, but the way she makes me overcome them. She's the only person that comes up and in midst of all this…and pats me on my shoulder and says, 'You have to relax. It will be OK.'
"I'm a big, intimidating figure. I can only compare myself to a tiger in a zoo. ... Nobody in their right mind would ever want to pet a tiger. She's the type that walks right up and pats him on the head, and the tiger is so confused he has no idea what just happened. This is literally me."

"I'm dreading that the show is almost over, whether we make the finale or not, because I won't get to dance with Meryl," he added. "If the show was 20 weeks, I would gladly accept it and continue experiencing this with such an incredible person."

From The Tiger in the Zoo to quite the Smitten Kitten, if you ask me.

• Love 1

I'm trying to decide if he:

1. Has a crush on her
  2. Is just way overselling his praise
  3. Really does think she's the best partner he's ever had and appreciates that
  4. Some combination of the above

I'm pretty sure Meryl is a nice person. She's also an athlete who's had to maintain calm and focus in many high-pressure situations. And her athletic skills translate well to the dance floor.* But Maks? I'm not exactly sure what's going on with him here.

*Don't get Mr. Bella started on how football players are natural dancers!

• Love 5

Even in the first few weeks I was surprised how much Maks seemed to like Meryl.  She's a suburban Michigan girl and an honor student, I thought he'd find her unexciting on a personal level.  Instead, he was raving about her normalness.

I'll have to wait until the dust settles on this whole season before I make up my mind what this is about.  He's prone to exaggeration.  He's prone to playing up showmances to generate interest.  He's also prone to moments of complete honesty.

Now it's time to cue the chorus of "Maks only loves himself and every word he utters is part of a Machiavellian plan to win the MBT he lusts after..."  I don't happen to believe that.

• Love 4

I'm with you, Bitsy. I can't quite figure out exactly what's happening here but in the end, it really doesn't matter to me because I am just enjoying watching it so much. Regardless if there is a showmance, a fauxmance or a romance, it makes for an entertaining dance. 

It's starting to surface in several places online that Meryl and Maks' displays of affection as well as their interaction with one another are rather intimate and are not being done for the cameras.  They're together constantly, and the two of them are completely wrapped up with one another and in their own little world, even when they're surrounded by other people.

I am by no means a shipper of any sort, but if the above is true, well, to me that's how someone behaves when they're in that wonderful beginning phase of a relationship.

Agree with so much of the above.

Personally, I don't see too much of the showmance that others have mentioned but that's just me. I watch the CW for background noise so at this point something has to be pretty ridiculous for me to see it as an over the top push of something. Whether I think there's a real romance or attraction or crush or what have you, I don't know that either. I generally don't take much of the rehearsal packages seriously because they all lack context and that could change everything.

What I definitely do think is that Maks is in awe of Meryl and has a lot of respect for her. That could translate to a romantic affection or it could be purely professional. I think that they're both people who excel at creating chemistry with a partner and in this scenario the chemistry in their dances often reads romantic and they are affectionate towards each other off the dance floor. It's definitely a different chemistry than she has with Charlie but it's also a different situation and a different person. If they are selling a showmance then it's definitely a much more reserved and subtle one than we've seen in the past or current attempts to sell one with other couples.

What I do know is that I was at a bridal shower this weekend and all of the people there (except one) want them to win. There were a few that added "and then date." The lone hold out was a ballroom instructor that wanted Derek to win, but did admit she wanted him to win based on his own abilities and that Amy probably didn't deserve to win.

• Love 1

It's starting to surface in several places online that Meryl and Maks' displays of affection as well as their interaction with one another are rather intimate and are not being done for the cameras.  They're together constantly, and the two of them are completely wrapped up with one another and in their own little world, even when they're surrounded by other people.

I am by no means a shipper of any sort, but if the above is true, well, to me that's how someone behaves when they're in that wonderful beginning phase of a relationship.

Awww, that's sweet. Just as sweet as when we heard the same exact stuff about him and Erin, including them supposedly being caught kissing backstage.

And while this stuff is surfacing, so are comments from Cheryl and Sharna and Tom that there's nothing going on. People believe what they want to believe.

• Love 1

Watch the tone folks. Totally fine if you aren't buying it but the people who are aren't stupid or irrational. Keep it on the "I" statements. "I think" or "I read". 

OK? Mwah! That's a mom for you smacking you with one hand and kissing you at the same time! ;)

• Love 4

The reports I've seen all go back to Life & Style. The 'kissing behind the scenes' thing is vague, and it sounds to me like they could just be behaving off camera the same way that they behave on camera. Lots of kisses on the cheek and hugs, but the way the magazine phrases it they know people will assume more. 

What I see is definitely too people who get along very well. They're very sweet together. I think it's a really great friendship.

Agree with so much of the above.

Personally, I don't see too much of the showmance that others have mentioned but that's just me. I watch the CW for background noise so at this point something has to be pretty ridiculous for me to see it as an over the top push of something. Whether I think there's a real romance or attraction or crush or what have you, I don't know that either. I generally don't take much of the rehearsal packages seriously because they all lack context and that could change everything.

What I definitely do think is that Maks is in awe of Meryl and has a lot of respect for her. That could translate to a romantic affection or it could be purely professional. I think that they're both people who excel at creating chemistry with a partner and in this scenario the chemistry in their dances often reads romantic and they are affectionate towards each other off the dance floor. It's definitely a different chemistry than she has with Charlie but it's also a different situation and a different person. If they are selling a showmance then it's definitely a much more reserved and subtle one than we've seen in the past or current attempts to sell one with other couples.

What I do know is that I was at a bridal shower this weekend and all of the people there (except one) want them to win. There were a few that added "and then date." The lone hold out was a ballroom instructor that wanted Derek to win, but did admit she wanted him to win based on his own abilities and that Amy probably didn't deserve to win.

I agree and I think Meryl and Maks are so captivating together because of their chemistry more than a showmance. To me, one of the reasons why the Meryl and Maks chemistry works is that they let it develop over several weeks of the show. It feels like something the audience can discover for themselves rather than being hit over the head with it. A lot of their really sweet moments aren't overtly romantic, like Meryl imitating Maks week 2. They play off each other really well.  IMO, it looks like we've been watching their bond grow rather than them just telling us how connected they are, which is often the case with couples on this show.

• Love 6
And while this stuff is surfacing, so are comments from Cheryl and Sharna and Tom that there's nothing going on. People believe what they want to believe.

Neither Tom nor Cheryl said that.  Tom said, "I honestly think from everything I've seen that it's a very sweet, almost big brother-little sister kind of thing."  That's his assessment, but it's definitely not a definitive statement, nor does he seem to be in a position to make one.  Cheryl was asked whether it's normal for dancers to be so affectionate and launched into a speech about how touchy-feely dancers are which didn't touch on the Maks/Meryl relationship at all.

I wasn't around for the Erin season when it was happening, but I did see some of the discussions that went on in a different forum.  There were the shippers who were mooning about how much in love they were, how happy Maks was, and were naming the babies and planning the wedding.  Then there were the anti-shippers who were so insistent that they couldn't possibly have anything going on that they seized upon a picture of Maks, Erin and Erin's sister as proof that the real reason Maks & Erin were spending so much time together is because Maks was dating Erin's sister.  Of course!  Yes, people definitely see what they want to see.  Both extremes seem unjustified by logic to me.

And the truth was, Maks and Erin were dating.  The people who noticed how much fun they had together and the flirty chemistry they had weren't wrong.  The vibe with Meryl is much more affectionate and much more caring.  I don't know exactly what it means, but I think insisting that it's platonic no matter what is as off-base as insisting that it's true love and Maks is going to go down on one knee to propose during the finale.

• Love 1

Neither Tom nor Cheryl said that.  Tom said, "I honestly think from everything I've seen that it's a very sweet, almost big brother-little sister kind of thing."  That's his assessment, but it's definitely not a definitive statement, nor does he seem to be in a position to make one.  Cheryl was asked whether it's normal for dancers to be so affectionate and launched into a speech about how touchy-feely dancers are which didn't touch on the Maks/Meryl relationship at all.

I wasn't around for the Erin season when it was happening, but I did see some of the discussions that went on in a different forum.  There were the shippers who were mooning about how much in love they were, how happy Maks was, and were naming the babies and planning the wedding.  Then there were the anti-shippers who were so insistent that they couldn't possibly have anything going on that they seized upon a picture of Maks, Erin and Erin's sister as proof that the real reason Maks & Erin were spending so much time together is because Maks was dating Erin's sister.  Of course!  Yes, people definitely see what they want to see.  Both extremes seem unjustified by logic to me.

And the truth was, Maks and Erin were dating.  The people who noticed how much fun they had together and the flirty chemistry they had weren't wrong.  The vibe with Meryl is much more affectionate and much more caring.  I don't know exactly what it means, but I think insisting that it's platonic no matter what is as off-base as insisting that it's true love and Maks is going to go down on one knee to propose during the finale.

I'm not insisting it's platonic. I have no idea if it is or not. What I'm saying is I've seen Maks do this before, and my feeling is that Maks will say or do anything to win the trophy. Just like it's my opinion that Maks gets much more invested in certain partnerships than the other pros and seems to have trouble letting go when the season is over.

You see his vibe with Meryl as much more affectionate and caring. I see it as a guy who likes and respects his partner and everything she stands for and has accomplished, but is playing a showmance much more subtly in an attempt to win the trophy. The open coyness with Erin didn't work. The over the top ridiculousness with Kirstie didn't work. So he's trying another tack. I also see Maks trying to sell it much more than Meryl. To me, Meryl has seemed uncomfortable with it much of the time.. And finally, I see Maks desperate to find someone. He said after Peta he probably needed to stop looking on the show, but when he is on the show, it takes up six months out of his year and I return to what I said above - he gets much more invested in his partners than the other pros. Meryl seems to have a pretty full life and, as of the end of February, she had a boyfriend. I have no idea if she's still with him but if she isn't that means she just got out of a relationship. And to me that's another huge red flag.

Contrary to how it may seem, I don't hate Maks. I enjoy happy carefree Maks, though I haven't seen him in a long time. What I don't like is the games I feel Maks plays with the audience and how it always ends up revolving around him rather than his partner. 

I think this is a great point, Flick. I recall an interview with Maks where he said that he really wanted to be with someone that he was a fan of, in the sense that he wanted to be rooting for her and supporting her in her own successes. Meryl is clearly an accomplished person and I think that is a big chunk of her appeal to him. Since he has also made a point of mentioning how "normal" and "non-Hollywood" she is, I think he is a bit in awe of her for being so accomplished with so little accompanying self-importance and drama. I have no idea if they are dating and stealing kisses backstage, it really wouldn't surprise me either way. It also has no influence on my voting. I vote for Meryl because I love watching her dance, not because of a possible showmance. 

As far as the idea that Maks always lays it on thick like this, I can see where that is coming from because he is touchier with his partners than any of the other pros, by far, even the ones he doesn't seem to like very much! But I think that is his nature and people read into it more than he likely intends. For example, with Kirstie Alley, I didn't feel like they were trying to sell me a romance for a second. On Afterbuzz this week, they talked a bit about how affectionate he is with Meryl and Shirley Ballas said that is just how he is. I think she said something like "when he knows you, he is always giving hugs and cuddles and loves, that's just Maks." 

Of course, having said all that, he is no fool and if he is indeed falling for Meryl, I am sure he feels like he might as well lay it all out there on TV for the world to see because he knows that a certain segment of the audience really loves it. 

• Love 1

The only other pro I've seen that's just as touchy-feely as Maks is Mark.  It's been the rare partner where he wasn't hugging or kissing or holding her before and after dances.  It got so bad one season I couldn't help but wonder why she didn't tell him to back off for five minutes and let her have some air.  (I want to say it was either Shawn Johnson or Melissa Joan Hart, I can't remember...after a while all the handsiness tends to blur together.)

Only time will tell if Maks is really enamored with Meryl or if this is a love-the-one-you're-with kind of thing.  I know his past track record isn't impressive on that front.  Personally, I'm hoping he means it this time because I think Meryl's an amazing woman and she deserves someone just as amazing.  But if this is only temporary, I hope she knows it too and they can walk away from this as good friends because I don't want to see her get hurt.

• Love 3

The only other pro I've seen that's just as touchy-feely as Maks is Mark.  It's been the rare partner where he wasn't hugging or kissing or holding her before and after dances.  It got so bad one season I couldn't help but wonder why she didn't tell him to back off for five minutes and let her have some air.  (I want to say it was either Shawn Johnson or Melissa Joan Hart, I can't remember...after a while all the handsiness tends to blur together.)

Only time will tell if Maks is really enamored with Meryl or if this is a love-the-one-you're-with kind of thing.  I know his past track record isn't impressive on that front.  Personally, I'm hoping he means it this time because I think Meryl's an amazing woman and she deserves someone just as amazing.  But if this is only temporary, I hope she knows it too and they can walk away from this as good friends because I don't want to see her get hurt.

The track record outside the show doesn't seem very good. Derek & Shannon, Karina & Mario, Maks & Erin. Val & Kelly. And didn't one of them (Mark or Derek) also have a thing with Katherine Jenkins for awhile?

I think it's harder for the pros. The show is a huge part of their lives and in most cases, they come back to it every few months. Meanwhile the celebrities go back to their real lives and DWTS and the bubble they lived in for three months becomes a distant memory. 

• Love 2
(edited)

The reports I've seen all go back to Life & Style. The 'kissing behind the scenes' thing is vague, and it sounds to me like they could just be behaving off camera the same way that they behave on camera. Lots of kisses on the cheek and hugs, but the way the magazine phrases it they know people will assume more. 

I agree with you about Life & Style magazine - the article's sensationalist title makes it sound like Meryl and Maks were engaged in some major tonsil-swabbing and is completely misleading when compared to the description of what took place in the article itself.

The reason I think these rumors may very well be true is that these sightings or whatever aren't coming from gossip sites -- they're from individuals, including some within the skating community, that aren't fangirls/boys or shippers.

Plus, from what I've heard in the skating community, Meryl and her boyfriend, Fedor Andreev (Marina Zoueva's (Meryl and Charlie's coach's) son, who is also the ex-boyfriend of both Tessa Virtue and Charlie's long-time GF, Tanith Belbin) parted ways in late February/Early March.  Also, Maks might have no problem with faking a relationship in a way that includes massive PDAs, but from everything I know about Meryl, she is not the kind of person to scheme and/or go all in with that kind of ruse.

I agree and I think Meryl and Maks are so captivating together because of their chemistry more than a showmance. To me, one of the reasons why the Meryl and Maks chemistry works is that they let it develop over several weeks of the show. It feels like something the audience can discover for themselves rather than being hit over the head with it. A lot of their really sweet moments aren't overtly romantic, like Meryl imitating Maks week 2. They play off each other really well.  IMO, it looks like we've been watching their bond grow rather than them just telling us how connected they are, which is often the case with couples on this show.

Beautifully put.  In their pre-dance package last Monday, the part where she called him out for being a big ole teddy bear was, at least for me, quite endearing, especially the little laugh from her at the end.  It wasn't overtly flirty or suggestive by any means, but it was definitely affectionate or something in that vein, and it was completely genuine in its emotion -- there was nothing false or faked about it; if it was, then Hollywood needs to hire Meryl as that would be Oscar-level acting on her part.

Edited by OriginalCyn
  • Love 3
(edited)

I think with Maks it's like...he's permanently living in Hyperbole Land anyway lol (both because he's naturally extroverted and emotional and because he knows how to use this to get a rise out of people), he knows how to spin things PR-wise, and he's prone to just say the stuff that's on his mind. Most of the time it's probably a mixture of all of these things. So I would agree that it's most likely not one or the other extreme when it comes to motivation and what's really going on with him. He's not being cynical and peddling all of this only to get the MBT (again, IMO you don't do a rumba like that in week 8 if winning that ugly trophy is the only thing on your mind), but the shippers planning weddings and picking names for their children are also going a tiny bit overboard, heh.  (-; Also, that icenetwork article is something that people in the skating community and people who are invested in DWTS anyway notice, not something that has all that much reach and effect beyond that iMO.

And he's always been very affectionate with partners he liked. He's been demonstrative with partners he didn't like because he probably sees it as some sort of loyalty/solidarity thing as well. I think the only two instances where I would definitely say "showmance" were Willa Ford and Erin, and as I understand it there was something going on for real in both cases, so it's not like that was only manipulative posturing and lying either. He also really liked Kirstie and Mel B, but for me that was just Maks expressing affection, I didn't read anything beyond that into their interactions. YMMV and all that jazz.

Coming to this as a D/W fan, I think the more surprising element in all this is Meryl tbh. The way she's at ease with him and opened up on the show is just great to watch IMO. And I don't think that's something you can fake, because it's not just the dances and the edited packages. It's in all their interviews, in their interactions throughout the show etc. And her body language: You could see they got along in the first show already, but also that she wasn't used to his demonstrative nature and handsiness, then from week to week she started reciprocating more and more. I think that part is totally sincere on both sides: They really like and respect each other and love dancing together.

And that is the part that feels really organic to me and likely what the parts of the audience who like them also respond to. You see a clear development of two people getting along, getting to know each other better and developing a bond and trust on the show. They're clearly in a different place now than they were at the beginning of the season. Whether that relationship is romantic, platonic, whatever, isn't the most important aspect for why this is working IMO (okay, the shippers are in a frenzy, but shippers are always in a frenzy...D/W shippers are also insisting that Meryl and Charlie are each other's one true love and Tanith is the devil incarnate. Also the V/M secret baby blog. Parts of the internet are just scary...). I do think having the contrast with James/Peta and the show going on and on about their special connection and chemistry that IMO never shows up in their dances and doesn't translate that much into their other interactions and also doesn't show the growth you see with Meryl and Maks makes that even more obvious. I think that's the main appeal for people who are buying what they are selling: Really great dancing by people who obviously love dancing together and who have formed a strong bond. The showmance aspect isn't the strongest factor in this IMO.

Edited by katha
  • Love 5

Okay, so I will admit that, as a mod, I come in to this forum primarily to make sure that you're all following PTV's single rule. ("Don't be a dick.") This morning, I see a lot of intense yet respectful discussion. And then I come to this:

D/W shippers are also insisting that Meryl and Charlie are each other's one true love and Tanith is the devil incarnate. Also the V/M secret baby blog. Parts of the internet are just scary.

and I am still laughing. Thanks, Katha! ::off to find the V/M secret baby blog::

(edited)

and I am still laughing. Thanks, Katha! ::off to find the V/M secret baby blog::

That's an Internet rabbit hole you don't want to fall down. I generally try and follow Wheaton's Law but the people over on there are psychotic and generally make me want to punch things/respond to their immense dickitude in kind. They hate everything about everything but particularly Meryl.

And to make this semi on topic, I agree that Maks is prone to hyperbole. I also agree that he's prone to being very affectionate. I think that people declaring every time he or someone else declares that he's a different person with a partner that he's also affectionate with as a showmance is also an example of people taking what they want from a situation and seeing what they want to see. There've absolutely been situations where Maks has played it up, but there are also partners that I haven't seen it as anything other than him praising his partner and being his usual touchy feely self but people still declare it a showmance. I don't think that saying that they're a different person with a partner is that big of a deal because to manage the personalities involved the pros really do need to try and adapt their personalities to their celeb. We've seen that Maks does that with various degrees of success.

Edited by Flick

Katha:

...And that is the part that feels really organic to me and likely what the parts of the audience who like them also respond to. You see a clear development of two people getting along, getting to know each other better and developing a bond and trust on the show. They're clearly in a different place now than they were at the beginning of the season. Whether that relationship is romantic, platonic, whatever, isn't the most important aspect for why this is working IMO (okay, the shippers are in a frenzy, but shippers are always in a frenzy...

Organic is the word I've been using to describe the relationship that is developing between Maks and Meryl.  The initial focus on "showmance" this season was on a different couple and I think that's why the "whatever this thing is" has been allowed to develop between Maks and Meryl without too much prompting or staging from the Powers-That-Be. That being said, of course, their chemistry makes for interesting TV (and exciting dances!) and no doubt the production staff are exploiting what they can of it for dramatic effect or the cute factor. Some of Maks and Meryl's moments have been gems. Also, it's been said that "shippers gonna ship". I think that's a universal law or something - LOL. Shippers are invested fans, and invested fans will tune in a watch and vote - all of which is good for the show and the ratings especially since many shippers are in that demographic that TV networks love to cultivate. Maks and Meryl haven't had to force anything to appeal to the shippers because their personal dynamics are evolving into something that is very easy to view as romantic. Okay, I'm a little bit of a shipper because I definitely think there's romance brewing.

toonces:

Awww, that's sweet. Just as sweet as when we heard the same exact stuff about him and Erin, including them supposedly being caught kissing backstage.

As has been pointed out by others, there was truth to the romance rumors between Maks and Erin. And from what I've read of Cheryl's and Sharna's comments, they all steered clear of directly answering a question about Maks and Meryl's relationship, speaking in general terms about how touchy-feely dancers are. I think that's evasive, not definitive, and the two things are not mutally exclusive. As for Tom, he's stating an opinion about how he sees Maks and Meryl's relationship, but he's not really in the position to know in the same way that the others pros who see more of Maks and Meryl together off the dancefloor.

Anyway, whatever it is, I love Mak's partnership with Meryl. They dance beautifully together and make good TV.

Organic is the word I've been using to describe the relationship that is developing between Maks and Meryl.  The initial focus on "showmance" this season was on a different couple and I think that's why the "whatever this thing is" has been allowed to develop between Maks and Meryl without too much prompting or staging from the Powers-That-Be. That being said, of course, their chemistry makes for interesting TV (and exciting dances!) and no doubt the production staff are exploiting what they can of it for dramatic effect or the cute factor. Some of Maks and Meryl's moments have been gems. Also, it's been said that "shippers gonna ship". I think that's a universal law or something - LOL. Shippers are invested fans, and invested fans will tune in a watch and vote - all of which is good for the show and the ratings especially since many shippers are in that demographic that TV networks love to cultivate. Maks and Meryl haven't had to force anything to appeal to the shippers because their personal dynamics are evolving into something that is very easy to view as romantic. Okay, I'm a little bit of a shipper because I definitely think there's romance brewing.

As has been pointed out by others, there was truth to the romance rumors between Maks and Erin. And from what I've read of Cheryl's and Sharna's comments, they all steered clear of directly answering a question about Maks and Meryl's relationship, speaking in general terms about how touchy-feely dancers are. I think that's evasive, not definitive, and the two things are not mutally exclusive. As for Tom, he's stating an opinion about how he sees Maks and Meryl's relationship, but he's not really in the position to know in the same way that the others pros who see more of Maks and Meryl together off the dancefloor.

Anyway, whatever it is, I love Mak's partnership with Meryl. They dance beautifully together and make good TV.

Did you see Maks and Karina in Forever Tango last summer? I did. And not one person walked out of that theater not thinking they were back together and madly in love - including me and everyone I was with. Karina knew exactly what she was doing by breaking down the barriers and asking Maks to do the show with her.

In addition to a professional dancer, Maks got a professional performer in Meryl. I believe Charlie talked about that recently in some interview, that if people are believing they're in love then they're doing it right and selling their performance. None of his previous partners has had that quality except maybe Kirstie. In fact I think Maks mentioned something about it in an interview earlier in the season where he said that other than their freestyle, Erin wouldn't let him get that close to her in their dances.

By your own admission you're a shipper so nothing I say is going to change your mind. That's fine. I'm just explaining some of the many reasons why I'm not buying into what Maks is trying to sell this time.

Maks & Meryl have great chemistry on the dance floor which is separate from the chemistry they appear to have off the dance floor.  I don't think anybody is shipping them just because of their dances - it has to do with how Maks behaves around her, how much time they spend together, and what they say about their relationship.

• Love 1
(edited)

Organic is not a word I would personally ever use for Meryl and Maks. Starting with his telling her how much he loved her in their initial meeting (or at least first edited meeting since I believe the pros and celebrities often meet before that initial taping) and how he would marry her, I have felt like everything between them comes across as scripted and staged and like I'm watching a performance. For me, in regards to Maks and Meryl, I feel like the performance does not stop with their dances. And before it's said, I acknowledge that this is personal opinion which is why as always, I say that one's mileage may vary. It's just personally why I would never consider their "relationship/partnership" organic. 

As toonces noted above, Meryl is a performer. Meryl has been performing and selling relationship storylines on the ice with Charlie for more than a decade. Hell even Charlie can do it in his dances. Look at Charlie's performance with Candace. I thought those two sold the hell out of that dance and actually believed the passion between them and we all know that ain't happening. So it's just hard for me personally to buy any authenticity here. And yes, as has been stated numerous times, Maks' history doesn't help. 

Do I think Maks likes Meryl just on a human level, sure and does he love how talented she is, absolutely and without question I'm sure he's super excited about her abilities and what she can do. I just think there is an added element of playing up for the cameras/viewers and yes shippers. Someone noted that Maks and Erin were indeed a couple, I guess as proof that it wasn't entirely fake when fans were all into them. But the thing is, calling something a showmance does not automatically negate the possibility of real attraction, at least in my opinion it doesn't. In fact I feel like there needs to be to sell it and make it more believable. 

So it wasn't that Maks and Erin was entirely fake that made some declare it a showmance but that it was played up by them whether or not the feelings were real. It was the same with Karina and Mario. Clearly their attraction was real as they dated for 2 years but what still makes them a showmance in my eyes were all the OTT rehearsal packages, "accidentally" being caught making out by the cameras, coy responses about their relationship, etc. It was without question played up for the cameras and the audience. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

At DH's last job, he had what I called an "office wife." (OW) I met her - she was a work friend of DH who happened to be a woman, and she and DH were just really close in the office environment. Part of that closeness had to do with mutual respect for professional competence, and part of it had to do with compatible personalities. I had an "office husband" at one point, too. If we weren't making the gender differentiation, it would be "work buddies." 

I see Maks and Meryl as work buddies, kind of like the OW/OH situation. Meryl also has that with Charlie, of course, and it doesn't go further. I think we won't really know if Maks and Meryl have taken it further until a few weeks after the season ends. If they're still finding a way to spend time together, that will say it all. Until then, there's the possibility that some of this is being done for PR purposes, or Maks is being effusive, or whatever.

• Love 1
(edited)
I see Maks and Meryl as work buddies, kind of like the OW/OH situation. Meryl also has that with Charlie, of course, and it doesn't go further. I think we won't really know if Maks and Meryl have taken it further until a few weeks after the season ends. If they're still finding a way to spend time together, that will say it all. Until then, there's the possibility that some of this is being done for PR purposes, or Maks is being effusive, or whatever.

Actually Bella, I'm not even sure that will tell anything. Remember Kirstie pretty much moved to NYC for several months after her first season and spent all her time with Maks and his family. While Erin wasn't seen with him much at all unless they were attending an event together.

Edited by Toonces464

No one in the theater thought Maks and Karina were back together? I can't believe that. They had shippers while doing Forever Tango. Nearly every dance couple gets shippers, especially once people hear that there was a relationship at some point. Maks and Karina are definitely better off apart, IMO.

And that is the part that feels really organic to me and likely what the parts of the audience who like them also respond to. You see a clear development of two people getting along, getting to know each other better and developing a bond and trust on the show. They're clearly in a different place now than they were at the beginning of the season. Whether that relationship is romantic, platonic, whatever, isn't the most important aspect for why this is working IMO (okay, the shippers are in a frenzy, but shippers are always in a frenzy...D/W shippers are also insisting that Meryl and Charlie are each other's one true love and Tanith is the devil incarnate. Also the V/M secret baby blog. Parts of the internet are just scary...). I do think having the contrast with James/Peta and the show going on and on about their special connection and chemistry that IMO never shows up in their dances and doesn't translate that much into their other interactions and also doesn't show the growth you see with Meryl and Maks makes that even more obvious. I think that's the main appeal for people who are buying what they are selling: Really great dancing by people who obviously love dancing together and who have formed a strong bond. The showmance aspect isn't the strongest factor in this IMO.

I agree it's organic. It reminds me a little of Jim and Pam from the Office. Not that Maks and Meryl are meant to be, but more just that it's the subtle things that are getting people hooked. There's an element that allows the audience to wonder if other people are seeing this too. Sure, Jim and Pam were scripted, but to me they're an example of a fictional couple where the writers didn't hit you over the head with the romance angle right away. It was a lot of two friends joking and long glances. Ever since Sam and Diane, showing couples fall for each other has been a sitcom cliche. I think it's one that's more effective when the audience is left guessing, like they are here.

Whether Maks and Meryl are actually falling for each other is almost irrelevant for me. I agree that they're evolving organically on this show. Looking at pre-season interviews, they joked a little, but Meryl was way more business like. I remember wondering if she would warm up to him or if they would just become combative. Just because Meryl and Charlie had chemistry doesn't mean they can create chemistry with anyone. The fact that Charlie and Sharna don't have such a strong connection is a good indication that it's not just Meryl's background doing the work here. Sure Charlie and Sharna are in relationships, but that doesn't stop shippers or strong chemistry. If anything, another partner is the perfect obstacle to provide angst for shippesr. Anyway, it doesn't matter to me what Maks and Meryl are to each other because they are just so great to watch. 

(edited)
No one in the theater thought Maks and Karina were back together? I can't believe that. They had shippers while doing Forever Tango. Nearly every dance couple gets shippers, especially once people hear that there was a relationship at some point. Maks and Karina are definitely better off apart, IMO.

No, everyone in the theater thought they were back together, including me. And I knew better. LOL

That's how good and convincing they were. They totally sold it. But that's what good performers do. Especially two good performers together. Toss in great chemistry and there you have it.

FWIW Dots, I agree with you they're better off apart. And I knew they weren't back together. They were just that captivating up on that stage.

Edited by Toonces464

No, everyone in the theater thought they were back together, including me. And I knew better. LOL

That's how good and convincing they were. They totally sold it. But that's what good performers do. Especially two good performers together. Toss in great chemistry and there you have it.

FWIW Dots, I agree with you they're better off apart. And I knew they weren't back together. They were just that captivating up on that stage.

Thanks for clarifying, I misread what you had written. I saw Forever Tango too. I knew they weren't together and I didn't see anything beyond acting as part of the dance. I didn't hear anyone around me wondering if they were together or not. My guess is a lot of people know it's part of the dance. Every couple in Forever Tango was using dance to express something different. Some were romantic, some funny, some tempestuous. I doubt people believe the more tempestuous couples are fighting backstage.

I think good acting is a part of a lot of great dancing. That's only half the equation for DWTS. There would be no need for rehearsal packages if this were just about what people produce in the dance. The audience wants to see a journey. Meryl was never going to have the journey of a true novice dancer. It's great that she and Maks have created another journey for themselves. They both had the tools for a great partnership, but they've used those tools in unexpected ways. 

At DH's last job, he had what I called an "office wife." (OW) I met her - she was a work friend of DH who happened to be a woman, and she and DH were just really close in the office environment

That would make sense if one or both of them were in a relationship.  I don't see what obstacles would be standing in the way of two single people who appear to be smitten with each other.

• Love 1

That would make sense if one or both of them were in a relationship. I don't see what obstacles would be standing in the way of two single people who appear to be smitten with each other.

Mostly that appear is the key word in that phrase. There's also the fact that even if the dynamic between her and Maks is different, Meryl is used to keeping her professional commitments professional. Fedor might be an exception because I know he does occasionally work with his mother but I don't know that he did anything with D/W. He's also just... I don't know how to put it but to say that he's Fedor and he's notorious.

Maybe they want to date but agreed to wait until after the show. Maybe one of them is smitten and the other isn't. Maybe they are dating already. Maybe this is Maks' craftiest season yet and he's cooked up a grand scheme to have a showmance that alienates fewer people because it isn't as glaringly showmance-y as others we've seen. There's a lot of maybes and they're all fairly reasonable (aside from one that'd involve them having been secretly married for years with a child being raised by their families) at this point. I think the only thing we can say for sure is that Maks is happy he got Meryl and Meryl doesn't seem to want to murder him in his sleep.

• Love 3

As toonces noted above, Meryl is a performer. Meryl has been performing and selling relationship storylines on the ice with Charlie for more than a decade. Hell even Charlie can do it in his dances. Look at Charlie's performance with Candace. I thought those two sold the hell out of that dance and actually believed the passion between them and we all know that ain't happening. So it's just hard for me personally to buy any authenticity here. And yes, as has been stated numerous times, Maks' history doesn't help.

Meryl has always been very quick to emphatically deny that she and Charlie are or have been romantically involved. It doesn't stop shippers from shipping them, but I think it can be taken at face value. She and Maks are being more coy about it, and it "keeps the mystery alive" but I don't get the impression that she's the sort of person who makes a habit of pretending about her personal life off the ice/dancefloor. Of course, Maks' history precedes him and so I understand the sceptism. I also believe that he's been interested in settling down and had planned to marry Karina before she broke the engagement. I'm not saying he's going to propose to Meryl, just that I think people grow up and what they want out of life changes.

I admit I'm smitten with Maks and Meryl's ... whatever it is. I think their relationship has evolved organically from show-related flirting into something deeper, whether it's just friendship or something more. It could mean very little at the end of the day because they live in different places and their lives and professional commitments, but I don't think whatever "it" is, it's just for the show or was contrived.

I saw a recap from someone who was at the show and she said that whatever it is they have doesn't stop when the camera's stop rolling, yet oddly enough, they won't hold hands on camera, they held hands wherever they went, even when they came into the audience to talk to Maks' grandmother, but would stop that when the cameras came on.

I saw a recap from someone who was at the show and she said that whatever it is they have doesn't stop when the camera's stop rolling, yet oddly enough, they won't hold hands on camera, they held hands wherever they went, even when they came into the audience to talk to Maks' grandmother, but would stop that when the cameras came on.

Let me guess ... they want to keep people from talking. And it's working so well!

It's great that she and Maks have created another journey for themselves.

Another place we differ. I've seen no journey at all for Meryl. This entire season has been about Maks. 

(edited)

Another place we differ. I've seen no journey at all for Meryl. This entire season has been about Maks. 

Maks has a commanding presence that makes it easy to focus attention on him. Sure his affect on his partners and theirs on him, whether one loves it or hates it, is noticed. Beyond the obvious there is other stuff going on that Meryl has been able to incorporate into the dances that takes the performance to a higher level.

I've been aware of Meryl since before the previous Olympic cycle and I've been on my own journey of appreciation for what D/W bring to the ice. Perhaps the growth that appears obvious to me, is too subtle or easy to miss because it hasn't always been about learning dance steps. I've definitely seen her continued growth as a performer.

I'm not sure that she would have been able to deliver the performance of the Rumba on week one.  I have zero doubt that she would have mastered the steps, but the intensity that they achieved was possible because of building blocks they put into place most obviously in the Foxtrot which matured with the Tango. The weeks, in between, felt like interruptions with the switch up and the triviality of their Disney assignment, but even though the strides were smaller, the development continued.

Edited by Glaadrial
I've been aware of Meryl since before the previous Olympic cycle and I've been on my own journey of appreciation for what D/W bring to the ice. Perhaps the growth that appears obvious to me, is too subtle or easy to miss because it hasn't always been about learning dance steps. I've definitely seen her continued growth as a performer.

I think that's very true. I watched the Olympics but knew relatively nothing about Charlie and Meryl before DWTS. To me, I've seen a journey for Charlie - his struggles, his difficulties, his improvement. He and Sharna have talked about how difficult it's been at times to transfer from the ice to the floor. All I've seen on the other side is Maks talking about how easy everything is with Meryl while HE struggles with this and that.

I've seen a journey for Charlie - his struggles, his difficulties, his improvement. He and Sharna have talked about how difficult it's been at times to transfer from the ice to the floor.

I haven't seen a journey from Charlie.  I think he started out good at certain things and not good at other things and has remained pretty much the same in both categories.  I'll change my tune if he does a truly sexy samba with good latin movement tonight, but I'm doubting that's going to happen.  Figure skating fans knew going in that he would struggle with the latin dances and with partner chemistry...and he has.

He and Sharna have done 11 full weeks of interviews that center around how different the ice and the floor are because they have absolutely nothing else to talk about, and that topic has been boring me since day 1.   When the four of them do interviews together, Maks is the one that brings the entertainment value and says unexpected things, and I think it's been a great asset for Meryl, because she's never come across as the most interesting person on her own.  If she had a less charismatic partner, I think she'd be suffering the same fate as Charlie, which is getting lost in the shuffle and being kind of boring.

• Love 5
Figure skating fans knew going in that he would struggle with the latin dances and with partner chemistry...and he has.

Thank you for making my point for me. Figure skating fans came into this season with opinions and preconceived notions about Meryl and Charlie. I didn't.

I enjoy Charlie and Sharna's interviews much more than Maks and Meryl's because to me they come across as real, not something staged and scripted. And after knowing nothing about either of them, I walk away from DWTS being a fan of Charlie's and being totally turned off by Meryl. I'm sure others feel the opposite.

Thank you for making my point for me. Figure skating fans came into this season with opinions and preconceived notions about Meryl and Charlie. I didn't.

I enjoy Charlie and Sharna's interviews much more than Maks and Meryl's because to me they come across as real, not something staged and scripted. And after knowing nothing about either of them, I walk away from DWTS being a fan of Charlie's and being totally turned off by Meryl. I'm sure others feel the opposite.

A lot of figure skating fans see Meryl as the breakout star of the two exactly because she's defying their preconceived notions (intense, quiet, introverted, athletic but not as artistic, etc.), while Charlie (though much loved among their fans) is just as affable and adorable as they knew him to be but isn't capturing their attention/imagination as much. I love Charlie, but I have to agree with that other poster regarding his interviews and packages--they are much the same as they might have been during the Olympics. Doesn't make me root for him any less, but I'm definitely enjoying Meryl and Maks more, and Maks of course has a lot to do with it. Maybe he knows how to play the game as a grizzled veteran or maybe it's just his personality bringing hers out more, but I'm loving their packages and routines each week. If they're dating, congratulations to them, but if they're not I think they're doing an excellent (and intelligent) job of keeping the shippers engaged (if you've taken a peek at their various tumblr tags, you'll see just how enthusiastic they can be--and I'm not complaining! It's harmless fun for the most part).

One thing I love is how often I hear people who may not have been her biggest fan before saying they're really excited about Meryl on the show now, and I think Maks deserves a lot of credit or at least co-credit for providing her with someone to spark off of.

• Love 5

One of the things I love most about visiting discussion boards with reasonable discussion is seeing other people's interpretations of the same things I am watching. It is always fascinating to me to see how someone else can view something in a completely different way. I've lurked on a lot of DWTS boards the past few seasons and been turned off by the attacks and drama between different factions. I really appreciate seeing everyone else's interpretations this season and am glad we can debate and disagree without being rude and insulting. 

Mods, sorry this is off topic, but I just wanted to throw it out there. 

• Love 3

Not a problem, TeeM. We don't have a "board on boards" rule here or anything like that. So while on-topic is the ideal, in the real world conversations drift.

And it is pretty interesting to see the range of opinions here.

• Love 2

Maks, Maks, Maks....  Sweetie, you have GOT to calm the (as Meryl would say) frick down.  The last thing I want to see is you sabotaging your (by your own admission) "perfect partner" because of your temper tantrums.  I know you're frustrated and you want everything to be perfect, but sometimes you just have to let things happen.  The greatest strength you have this season is not your choreography but the chemistry you have with your partner.  Don't torpedo that.

• Love 3