Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers, Speculation & All Things Media!

I think it's funny that her hair is pulled back in the sneak peek, like they are trying to make her look plainer or something, so she has reason to be jealous.

It'll never work, if they think that will help matters, she's stunning pulled back hair or not but yeah I laugh when in TV or movies they try and make beautiful/good looking stars look plain(ish) by messing up their hair or putting glasses on them as if that makes a huge difference. 

Edited by verdana

Nathan's first "hang with" video as part of his Con Man participation but I'm posting it here because he filmed it on the Castle set and he talks a bit about Castle too. Paper chain!  I always like seeing the actors in the make up trailer, in their own trailers etc. to get more of a sense of how a day at work is like for them.  Same goes for the writers and directors and the crew.

Looks like they're enjoying some nice Californian weather already but too bad it doesn't seem like they get to be out in the sun all that much with their filming schedule.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-BQm3t5lFs&feature=youtu.be

Edited by madmaverick

Thanks madmaverick, paper chain was cool. Makes you realise though looking at that how few filming days for cast and crew there is to go, I bet they can't wait until they're finished up. Of course their perspective is totally different to the fans who don't want it to end, wish we would get some nice California weather over here it's cold, damp and wet!

Stana Katic @Stana_Katic  ·  9 hrs 9 hours ago
#Castle : where we take crime seriously.

https://twitter.com/Stana_Katic/status/576619466018041856

Heh, love it they've included Perlmutter. Cast seem to have a great time together. 

Edited by verdana

Eye candy!  This person really took the best pictures.

Gorgeous Stana and I'm loving Beckett's jacket: https://twitter.com/Liiiiinzz/status/575602398716166144

Oh hello, Mr. Castle!  Oops, Nathan. https://twitter.com/Liiiiinzz/status/575578590735175680

Weeping because Castle never looks like that on the show. ;)

They could do a scene with them looking hot like that, leaning against a car (even if it's Castle's Buick ;)) and they don't even have to say a word.  I'd watch that. ;)

There is one with both as well: http://nathanourhero.tumblr.com/post/113022964494

But I'm one of the few people who don't get the super-cop label.  Because as much as the present Beckett as skilled/talented, they also present her as very flawed.

I think the problem is that even though she is written as flawed, it is never really acknowledged by any of the other characters. I can't remember the last time anyone has really questioned or called out Beckett on anything. It stands out even more because now everyone takes potshots at Castle which makes it seem like their is an imbalance in the relationship. Also guest stars in certain episodes go on about how extraordinary she is(Eric Vaughn, Matilida King), and suspects are always shown to be intimidated of her(unrealistically IMO) that it causes the Beckett character to be shown as a super-cop in many instances. I think that was part of Marlowe's backwards logic when he wanted to "knock Beckett down a peg" in the Season 6 finale and why there has been a greater focus on Castle character this season, IMO neither of which have worked out well.

• Love 1

I think the problem is that even though she is written as flawed, it is never really acknowledged by any of the other characters. I can't remember the last time anyone has really questioned or called out Beckett on anything. It stands out even more because now everyone takes potshots at Castle which makes it seem like their is an imbalance in the relationship. Also guest stars in certain episodes go on about how extraordinary she is(Eric Vaughn, Matilida King), and suspects are always shown to be intimidated of her(unrealistically IMO) that it causes the Beckett character to be shown as a super-cop in many instances. I think that was part of Marlowe's backwards logic when he wanted to "knock Beckett down a peg" in the Season 6 finale and why there has been a greater focus on Castle character this season, IMO neither of which have worked out well.

I think that early on it was unbalanced in Castle's favor. He was a rich celebrity with friends in high places and pretty much ran roughshod over her despite her objections. I think they systematically began tearing him down & building her up to correct this. The problem is the pendulum swung way to far the other way. He has become a goofy fool while she has been transformed into damn near the perfect woman.

• Love 2

Yeah that's how I look at the situation too, the problem has always been that despite her flaws I got this steady drip, drip, drip from everyone about how extraordinary she is to the point they even had people coming in saying it within about two seconds of seeing her when she had done nothing at that point to warrant the description. Then to make it worse they kept having her being an instant expert at things that didn't ring true, may be for others it worked but I never thought it was organic the way they did it. I could see what they were trying to do but the writers have no subtlety so they just dropped these things in about skateboarding and muscle cars without thinking them through and it got really irritating after a while. 

I agree that the change in focus to Castle hasn't worked because they're not focusing on the right things and Beckett driving the story turns out was way more interesting than what we've had as a substitute. They neglected the character of Richard Castle for so long that when they finally decided to do something about it there's nothing there for them draw on substance wise and it shows. 

He has become a goofy fool while she has been transformed into damn near the perfect woman.

You're dead right about Castle being written sadly as goofy, bumbling idiot more often than not, as for Beckett I don't find her perfect but I do find she's being written in a rather passive way at times this season which is frustrating. I'm hoping that this will change in the episodes remaining. 

Edited by verdana

I think the problem is that even though she is written as flawed, it is never really acknowledged by any of the other characters. I can't remember the last time anyone has really questioned or called out Beckett on anything.

In Driven, Espo called her out for almost breaking that guy's fingers, and Gates warned her about not giving her a reason to be taken off the case.  Alexis also expressed disbelief that Beckett would believe Castle just took off.  In that invisible episode, Castle called her out for "lying" to Gates about not saying an invisible guy attacked her (and okay, that one's kind of a strech). In the parellel universe Castle told AU Beckett she was compromising by not looking at what really happened.  Then everyone complained that she and Castle eloped.  Perlmutter criticized her for marrying Castle (which is an unjustified criticism IMO), then that lady in the telenovela episode accused her of only recommending Castle as a PI because she's sleeping with him.  Oh, and Castle called her out on agreeing to share information in that first PI episode, but then refusing to share what she was able to learn based on his info.

These are all minor things, but I can't really think of any major mistakes Beckett made this season where she could have been called out on more important issues.

And this is not to say that I don't think Castle is written too much as a bumbling fool at times.

Then to make it worse they kept having her being an instant expert at things that didn't ring true, may be for others it worked but I never thought it was organic the way they did it.

But they do that with Castle too.  If a case calls for someone to know random pieces of information, Castle will through it out with no explanation other than "book research."  It is lazy writing, but that particular aspect is not unbalanced.

• Love 3

From that article:

She had on and off relationship with Castle which is now a marriage and is stable.

Of all the ways to describe Beckett and Castle's relationship, I would never have called it on and off.  They took a while to get together, but ever since they got together they have been seriously together.  That is one thing I like about this show.

And also.....stop using the word mythology Amann/Marlowe.  Seriously, who talks like that?

• Love 2
But they do that with Castle too.  If a case calls for someone to know random pieces of information, Castle will through it out with no explanation other than "book research."  It is lazy writing, but that particular aspect is not unbalanced.

The way the show is structured they almost had to do that with Castle. He had to bring something to the table otherwise he was nothing but a rich playboy forcing himself into a situation where he did not belong. Beckett & the boys all worked hard & put in the time to be detectives. Castle didn't. He doesn't have their experience. They had to come up with a way for Castle to contribute.

• Love 2

The way the show is structured they almost had to do that with Castle. He had to bring something to the table otherwise he was nothing but a rich playboy forcing himself into a situation where he did not belong. Beckett & the boys all worked hard & put in the time to be detectives. Castle didn't. He doesn't have their experience. They had to come up with a way for Castle to contribute.

Yeah, I agree that they need to have a way to contribute.  But some of the things or people he knows are kind of random.  But like you said, Beckett has a lot of experience being a cop.  They have to have her know things too otherwise it would be unbelievable that she  has been successful at her job.  It's already bad enough that Castle solves most of the cases.

There's plenty of things they show she doesn't know.

• Love 2

Yeah, I agree that they need to have a way to contribute.  But some of the things or people he knows are kind of random.  But like you said, Beckett has a lot of experience being a cop.  They have to have her know things too otherwise it would be unbelievable that she  has been successful at her job.  It's already bad enough that Castle solves most of the cases.

There's plenty of things they show she doesn't know.

Lucky for her that it doesn't matter who actually solves the case. She still gets all the credit. She's the one that got the job with the AG not Castle or Ryan or Esposito. So her official record must look pretty damn good.

Yeah, Ryan and - to a lesser degree as I'm not fond of him much - Esposito are the ones I feel badly for: They work as hard as Beckett and get none of the professional glory. Shrug.

But in terms of the leads, I think it's safe to say that Marlowe and now, Amann, have no sense of balance, so Castle will look good sometimes, then Beckett gets the spotlight.

Sure, it'd be better if both could be great at once, but hey, with the limited writing, it is what it is and won't change.

• Love 1
Aaargh! If Stana Katic speaks Russian, have her speak it and run sub-titles.  Grump grump grumble. I hold grudges.

I've never seen it mentioned anywhere that SK speaks Russian. Serbian is pretty different. I mean, a Serb and a Russian will probably understand the gist of what they want to say, if they speak slowly and help themselves with gestures, but they're still different languages.

I agree that the main problem with the show stays the same as it has been for the last several seasons, it's balance and awkwardly placed accents in storylines. They can never write several (or at least two) characters having equal or comparable focus without sacrificing everyone for the sake of "the chosen one". And when they choose one, they accentuate all the wrong things and only make matters worse. It's a little odd seeing how fans start blaming these things on characters, get defensive or accusatory etc. though, not necessarily here but all over the fandom. For me it is and has always been an obvious writing problem, characters are blameless. None of them is inherently weak, or undeserving of the focus, or uninteresting. I realize I'm preaching to the choir here, just found myself with some free time on my hands and was browsing the fandom stuff this week. This sort of fighting, about who's been shortchanged, who is interesting and who's not, who is the ratings poison and who is the savior, is all over the place. I'd say with the current state of writing on Castle no character, even Hamlet of Falstaff, would fare any better.

Yeah, Ryan and - to a lesser degree as I'm not fond of him much - Esposito are the ones I feel badly for: They work as hard as Beckett and get none of the professional glory. Shrug.

That's like a lot of companies.  Bosses get the credit (or blame) when people beneath them do all the work. At least Beckett does work hard too, unlike some people I've worked for.  

Lucky for her that it doesn't matter who actually solves the case. She still gets all the credit. She's the one that got the job with the AG not Castle or Ryan or Esposito. So her official record must look pretty damn good.

True, but in DC we got to see her being smart and contributing to the cases (since Castle wasn't there to overshadow her).  I like seeing characters being competent.  I would like if we got to see Ryan or Espo having career success too, but obviously it would mess with the show's formula too much.  I'm curious how this "thinking of the future" arc is going to play out for Beckett, since again, they won't want to mess with the show's formula long term.

• Love 1

That's like a lot of companies.  Bosses get the credit (or blame) when people beneath them do all the work. At least Beckett does work hard too, unlike some people I've worked for. 

Look at "Number One Fan". In that episode she was basically Castle. A civilian assisting the police. Yet when all the dust cleared it was her that got all the accolades not the real police (Ryan & Esposito) or Castle. So it's not just when she's the boss that she gets most of the credit for the teams work.

• Love 1

Okay, the "credit game" of Castle versus Beckett is becoming a wee bit circular, gang! Let's just agree that both have been built up and both have been torn down at rotating points throughout the series and move on, especially since, at this point, it is neither spoiler nor speculation.

Thanks!

And also.....stop using the word mythology Amann/Marlowe.  Seriously, who talks like that?

You are preaching to the converted, I don't know any one who talks like that, it's annoying. We've had the Castle mythology, we're also getting a "new" mythology to replace the "old" Beckett mythology by the sounds of it, what next an Esplanie mythology?  May be he's having a laugh with Marlowe and they're placing bets on how many times they can mention the word during interviews. 

And yeah that description of the Castle and Beckett relationship isn't the best either.  

Really off and on relationship? That would describe Espo and Lanie that I hope they won't revisit anymore.

Anyways ABC is back to promoting Castle since I saw one promo during American Crime and now Secrets and Lies. Guessing another promo will show up during Revenge too.

The Community post referencing Nathan is in the Other Roles thread. Thanks! But just to make it easier: If a post does not specifically refer to happenings on Castle, and refers to other projects/shows, it goes in the Other Shows thread. I hope that helps clear things up.  :-)

Thanks, once again, all!

Yeah, I never considered Castle and Beckett's relationship to be "will they/won't they". It was always "when will they" and that's a marked difference, I think. In the same vein, I'd also say their relationship was never "on/off". After they were on ... when were they off? I chalk that up to bad journalism from someone that doesn't know much about the show, and it's just expected that a couple on TV will go through the will they/won't they or on/off drama.

God this one picture, I love the outfit but not so sure about the boots, can't see the heels though. I find them a bit distracting.

Another one here of Castle and Beckett. I really want that scarf. Castle as usual has the usual bulky jacket with the horrid zip and boring blue button down that Luke insists on making him wear.

Edited by verdana

Yeah, I never considered Castle and Beckett's relationship to be "will they/won't they". It was always "when will they" and that's a marked difference, I think. In the same vein, I'd also say their relationship was never "on/off". After they were on ... when were they off? I chalk that up to bad journalism from someone that doesn't know much about the show, and it's just expected that a couple on TV will go through the will they/won't they or on/off drama.

It was a quote from Amann though, at least that's what it looked like.  But maybe he was misquoted or something.

It was a quote from Amann though, at least that's what it looked like.  But maybe he was misquoted or something.

That's right, I read that. I can comprehend reading. *sigh* It's like it went into, and then promptly out of, my brain. I have to believe it was a translation error or something. Because otherwise maybe Amann isn't the best showrunner ... or at least not the best person to be giving interviews.

That's right, I read that. I can comprehend reading. *sigh* It's like it went into, and then promptly out of, my brain. I have to believe it was a translation error or something. Because otherwise maybe Amann isn't the best showrunner ... or at least not the best person to be giving interviews.

I know I'm trying to believe it was a translation error too.  And I'm holding my tongue about whether Amann is a good showrunner or not.  There's a joke in there somewhere, but I'm not going to make it.

Well, I heard TV Line reposted their cancelation prediction article, and it's a retread of one they already shared on Castle before (which is why I don't understand the freak out), so there's drama over that. Other than that, I suppose there's freakout because Stana got a few days off for this episode? 

It's probably because Ausiello posted a clickbait article about how Castle fans should be worried about cancellation because Castle's viewership is down and the midseason premiere after Christmas was a 1.5. Which is all factually true, except he also neglected to mention that all of ABC's viewership is down (as it is for all the networks) and 1.5, which not spectacular, isn't a death sentence. And then to rub salt in the randomly created wound he went on to mention that cancellation was more than possible because neither Stana or Nathan have signed a contract for anything beyond this season. Which is also factually true, but it's also something that he probably has no details on or even knows which way the winds are starting to blow.

People are mad, mostly because it's a pretty good example of a crap article, but also because Ausiello knows Castle's fans are vocal online and seek out news about it, so the whole thing really reads like he used it as a lead point in a story about shows likely to be cancelled after this season as a way to get clicks on his website. It's just a prety underhanded move coming from someone that generally has always been much more respectful to Castle fans.

IMO it's nothing more than a sensational article to generate site traffic.

S55 - that article was a repost? From when? It's an article to generate clicks for sure, but reposting is even lower. I must have missed it the first time around.

Edited by McManda

S55 - that article was a repost? From when? It's an article to generate clicks for sure, but reposting is even lower. I must have missed it the first time around.

I don't think it's a direct repost, but some of the phrasing is similar to something I've read from them before, especially the last part about an eighth and final season. 

I always get a kick when fans get upset about what TV Line posts. They've been clickbait for awhile now IMO. They're certainly not in the same category as Variety, THR or Deadline to me. Heck, I'd put a  LOT of outlets ahead of them in terms of respectability. 

Edited by S55

Oh, I agree that Ausiello's pretty much always been clickbait (or at the very least a lot of no-news articles), but he's always been seen as more of an ally to the Castle fans. For him to post anything with a negative connotation about Castle is unusual and seems pretty backhanded. That's what has fans up in arms, I think. I mean, I don't think anyone is under any sort of delusion that S8 is a sure thing. But it's much more dependent on if Nathan and Stana sign an contract than anything else, and truthfully no one knows any of the details on that front, so it seems even more slimy to make it a talking point for ad views.

Cancellation Anxiety: 9 Shows You Should Probably Start Worrying About at TV Line

This is the article I presume that is generating all the twitter angst. 

Cons: Coming off its most watched season ever, Castle hasn't cracked 10 million viewers or a 2.0 rating since its Season 7 opener, and it hit series lows (6.8 mil/1.3) with its midseason kickoff. Season-to-date, it's off 15 percent from Season 6. But eroding ratings are the least of the show's problems. Stars Nathan Fillion and Stana Katic don't have deals for Season 8 — not yet, anyway.
Pros: ABC wants the show back, possibly for a shortened final season.

Whilst I agree with McManda and others that its clickbait by Ausiello it does make me wonder what kind of reaction there will be when the days finally comes that is is cancelled because the hysteria and wrist slitting is going to be painful to witness by the looks of it. Of course fans should be upset when Castle ends but it's a TV show not the end of the world as they know but you would wonder based on some of the comments about one silly article. I figure Castle has one more season in it barring any last minute hitches. 

Yeah, that's it.

The takeaway is - ABC wants the show back, Nathan and Stana have no contract for a Season 8.

The end. Nothing we didn't already know and nothing that should be a surprise to anyone that follows any Castle news.

Cancellation Anxiety: 9 Shows You Should Probably Start Worrying About at TV Line

This is the article I presume that is generating all the twitter angst. 

Whilst I agree with McManda and others that its clickbait by Ausiello it does make me wonder what kind of reaction there will be when the days finally comes that is is cancelled because the hysteria and wrist slitting is going to be painful to witness by the looks of it. Of course fans should be upset when Castle ends but it's a TV show not the end of the world as they know but you would wonder based on some of the comments about one silly article. I figure Castle has one more season in it barring any last minute hitches. 

To be fair, it seems like many of the online fans are teens and, at that age, everything is a huge deal. Just sayin'.

• Love 1

Sometimes I wonder if the "wrist-slitters" are why the showrunners have toned the " romance" down to one cut above glacial ice. People need to deeeetatch. It's a TV show, not world peace. But some folks may have gotten way too crazy and they thought maybe someone was going to get hurt. Who knows?.

I don’t think they're writing the show like it's going to end. Other than the wedding, any loose ends wrapped up? No. It's going to be here for awhile, but I suspect with Nathan making less and less time for it.

I don’t think they're writing the show like it's going to end. Other than the wedding, any loose ends wrapped up? No. It's going to be here for awhile, but I suspect with Nathan making less and less time for it.

They have tied up quite a few loose ends. 3XK/Nieman are gone, Bracken has been put to bed as good as so that's two main story arcs finished with.  The Castle "mythology" can easily be wound up as it's changed nothing fundamentally for the characters and they're talking babies which is the final milestone for Castle and Beckett.  The way I see it things, they're trying to place themselves into a good position where whatever happens they can either end it now or leave things open for next season with baby talk etc. 

As for Nathan making less time for Castle, I agree he probably does want to cut back. However, I would expect Stana likewise to want the same amount of time off (which is only fair) and that's going to cause a headache for Marlowe and Amann as they must realise the show has only survived as long as it has to the presence of the two leads (fans are certainly not tuning in to find out what Lanie or Alexis are up to), less screen time for them by any significant margin means the show dies any way. 

Edited by verdana

To me, it's not just MarMann who are struggling with the idea of Nathan and Stana having more time off moving into a potential new season (shortened or not). I imagine ABC has wondered if part of the ratings slide could be their decreased presence in season 7 so far, so I'm not sure they're going to be so willing to give them both MORE time off in a hypothetical eighth season, either through a shortened season or by focusing more on secondary characters.

Combined with any requests for more money from them when the show is losing ad revenue (though we can see that attempting to be made up through ridiculous (IMO) product placement) and someone needs to budge. The question is will the actors, the studio or the network budge first. 

Also, the fact that Stana openly shared she has a few days off this week tells me that whatever deal Nathan struck for more time off, she has as well. So I don't think he is the sole beneficiary from that request. 

The product placement isn't just around to make up for lost ad revenue due to ratings though. They were doing that in S3 (with Microsoft, when Castle randomly had a Windows phone sometimes) and that was arguably their strongest season.

I don't much care how much time any given actor gets off. If they could film an episode in three days, good for them. I don't think that's really all that indicative if a future for the show, unless the time off is incompatible with the show, which we haven't seen yet.

I think both Nathan and Stana now have more time off than they did in the first few seasons.  They long stopped doing anything interesting with Caskett in the interrogations scenes and now that they are sometimes substituted with Rysposito, I don't see much of a difference because they don't get to do anything more interesting either. ;)  It's almost pure exposition.  I'd rather they use Caskett for better quality personal scenes.

I think MarMann are struggling with new ideas for any further seasons, and have had that problem for quite a while, despite their PR speak in interviews.  If Marlowe's new series were to be picked up tomorrow, I think he'd be happy to bring Castle to a close.  I think Stana and Nathan have both realised that Caskett's love story and Beckett's journey for justice have come to a natural stopping point.  Not to say quality writers can't find good stories for these characters, but I don't think our writers are that talented and going to bring much of anything new to the table that would excite the actors.  It's just going to lead to weird, inorganic character arcs and plots that leaves me dreading every time "mythology" comes out of the writers' mouths.

But I think the actors will sign on for one more season because they are finally in a position to get a nice raise, unless they get a fantastic offer for a film or some super project elsewhere that they can't pass up, but I don't think that's on the near horizon.

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 1

From TV|Line:

Do you have any scoop on Castle‘s 150th episode? Anything special fans can look forward to? –Sandra
That milestone arrives with this season’s second-to-last episode, which as previously reported will center on a piece of Beckett mythology. So its “special”-ness is probably dependent on what said mythology, old or brand-new, is involved.

Thanks. Well that's as clear as mud.

As long as there's no angst involved, if you're going to do a milestone episode at least make it genuinely funny, romantic and sweet so fans can take good memories away. Resist the temptation writers of having it used in the build up to some forced drama for Castle and Beckett to suffer come the finale.

Edited by verdana