Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E22: Born Again

Every time I rewatch season one, I completely forget this one exists (somehow, I usually blend this and Shadows and Lazarus and Young at Heart into three episodes because they're all pretty damn similar), and yet it usually winds up being one of my favourites. Admittedly it's not as good as Ice or Eve or Beyond the Sea, but it's definitely one of the better entries. The season really ended quite strongly, in hindsight.

• Love 1

I really like Born Again as well. I could never decide if Michelle Bishop's cold dead eyes of a killer was a job well done by the actress or if it was plain ol' so bad it's good. Whatever the case, I eat it up everytime. I enjoy the other supporting characters, the overall acting is generally good and, well, the episode just engages me. Would probably rank it somewhere in the middle if I did a full season ranking.

Edited by joelene

I sat down and watched a few more S1 eps the other day, and this was one of them.  I've gotta say, despite some clunky moments, this is actually a pretty good episode.  There's several times that I legitimately got chills down my spine watching it.  I think if it had been later in the series (with better acting all around) it would have been a really solid favorite.

I can't get into this one, because the girl looks like a very creepy version of one of my closest friends in elementary school, and I think Maggie Wheeler is a horrible actor.  And the one playing the dead guy's wife is even worse.

I'm generally fond of the guest acting on this series, especially during the Vancouver years, but not in this one.  And Maggie Wheeler is one of those people who bugs me in whatever role she plays, for largely nonspecific reasons. 

(edited)

And Maggie Wheeler is one of those people who bugs me in whatever role she plays, for largely nonspecific reasons. 

I might be able to suggest a specific reason? Oh.MY.God. Janice! Compared to that, her detective is very subdued.

I don't mind her and I want to have her hair when I grow up. It's mostly the mother that bugs me in this episode.

And it has HITG! Brian Markinson, who has been in basically everything I've watched on TV (and a few movie) since. I don't understand how he is not more famous. Some of his credits are missing on his IMDB page, among them this one and the Supernatural episode from season 1 and the list is still impressively long.

Edited by supposebly

I don't recognize any of Markinson's credits, but I don't remember him being among the actors who underwhelm me in this episode; if I ever watch this again, I'll have to pay attention to him.

Apparently he showed up again later in the series, in Folie a Deux.