Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E21: Tooms

I love Scully's reaction to Mulder's explanation of Tooms and his history of murder and hibernation during the hearing. Like, good GAWD, Mulder. No one is gonna believe that! He'd be better just sticking to the recent murders and attacks. He should know that sort of talk is more likely to set Tooms free. But you can't help loving Mulder for his no bullshit-all cards on the table approach.

But really, Skinner? You couldn't have met with Scully after she was supposed to take the witness stand? Tooms getting off is 50% Mulder talking like a crazy person and 50% Skinner hindering a witness.

But the introduction of Skinner is great even if the conversation is basically "Unconventional methods!" "But success rate!" "But unconventional methods!" "But but BUT success rate!" *glare*

I would have loved be a fly on the wall when those people who let Tooms off heard about what happened to him. "Oh he killed his shrink and then hid naked under an escalator which he then got mangled by."

• Love 2

Tooms is the only episode where they brought back a MOTW and the follow up episode was just as good as the original.  Doug Hutchinson is a creeper.  I remember reading back in the day that he played those scenes under the escalator, completely naked. Um...ok then.  There's some information I did not need.  And now you all have that mental image as well. You're welcome.

• Love 1

Watched this one again a couple of days ago (I swear I'm trying to keep up with a rewatch at least to some extent). 

I always forget that Tooms killed the psychologist who helped get him out of prison.  I've got to admit I find that fitting.  Dude obviously ignored some huge warning signals there, Tooms never acted like a normal person, ever.  There was always something "off" and the psychologist should have picked up on that.  Really, I'm just grateful Tooms killed him rather than the sweet couple who was trying to help him adjust to society.

Skinner!  <3  It's so jarring to see his introduction and remember what it was like to not really be sure if we could trust him or not.  Was he on M/S's side?  CSM's?  Somewhere in between?  It was a long time before we ever got an answer to that.  Loved the tension!

Jeepers, Mulder, learn to pick your battles, dude.  You should have known you have zero chance of keeping a man in prison by trying to convince a judge that he's been alive and killing people for over a hundred years.  There should have been plenty of arguments for keeping Tooms in prison that didn't wander off into "spooky" territory.  Dude was killing people and eating their livers straight from their bodies.  That's not normal LOL.

• Love 1

I love Scully's reaction to Mulder's explanation of Tooms and his history of murder and hibernation during the hearing. Like, good GAWD, Mulder. No one is gonna believe that! He'd be better just sticking to the recent murders and attacks. He should know that sort of talk is more likely to set Tooms free. But you can't help loving Mulder for his no bullshit-all cards on the table approach.

Right?! Poor Scully. Her closed eyes and small head shake in the courtroom never fail to make me giggle. And Mulder is just all "go big or go home" about it....it's admirable, really. He knew he'd look insane and because it was the truth, he didn't care. That's dedication, right there. See also this bit:

M: "If he can't be tied to the most recent evidence, you'll have to go back to the earlier murders to prove it was him."

S: "That was 30 or 60 years ago."

M: "There's no statute of limitations on murder."

Oh, Mulder! And he's so sincere, too! Like, yeah, they were a while ago, but we know it was him, so what's the problem? And Scully has to be the voice of reason because she was just chewed out, and it's so quintessentially X-Files that it makes me grin like an idiot. If that wasn't enough, this is the episode where we get Scully saying she wouldn't put herself on the line for anyone but him, and then the fantastic "if there's an iced tea in that bag, it could be love." I adore the look on his face when Scully says "It must be fate, Mulder. Root beer." And then he can't help but to mention the sports talk radio show to her.

Oh, these two. Swoon! I love them way, way more than is probably healthy. =)

Skinner!  <3  It's so jarring to see his introduction and remember what it was like to not really be sure if we could trust him or not.  Was he on M/S's side?  CSM's?  Somewhere in between?  It was a long time before we ever got an answer to that.  Loved the tension!

Jeepers, Mulder, learn to pick your battles, dude.  You should have known you have zero chance of keeping a man in prison by trying to convince a judge that he's been alive and killing people for over a hundred years.  There should have been plenty of arguments for keeping Tooms in prison that didn't wander off into "spooky" territory.  Dude was killing people and eating their livers straight from their bodies.  That's not normal LOL.

It's been so long since I'd seen this one that I'd nearly forgotten about early!Skinner. This early "to trust or not trust" him stuff was great.

Regarding keeping Tooms in prison, I totally agree. Aside from Mulder's testimony, they had proof. If nothing else, the fingerprints matched if you elongated them, he had genetic abnormalities (as per Scully at the end of Squeeze) and the biggest piece for me from a normal investigative standpoint was that he had the trophies. They were physical proof of involvement of some kind. Even if Tooms really had never been charged with anything, as they kept saying in the hearing, that should have been enough to hold him, you'd think. Also, why wasn't his attack on Scully considered attempted murder? I don't really understand that either.

Also...that face, though. Tooms still freaks me out. He's so creepy!

• Love 1