Type keyword(s) to search

Constantine in Comics from Hellblazer to Justice League Dark

I hope it's OK to start this thread. I'm interested in reading the comics and need some advice.

As of right now I think I'm just going to jump in with Constantine #20 unless this is the middle/end of a story arc. The preview for #20 sounds interesting with Constantine and Earth 2 Constantine in the same title.

How about recommendations on past story arcs/trade paperbacks?

I've long been meaning to read Jaime Delano's run, which is where the series begins. I understand the series has taken a couple stories directly from it.

"Bad Habits" is a must-read. It just defined the future of the character so much.

Personally, I picked it up with Warren Ellis' run which turned out to be a bit of a disaster. Ellis is a good writer, but he did a school shooting story and Columbine happened just before it was due to hit stores. The publisher pulled it and Ellis quit in disgust. IMO, Ellis was still warming up by then so his run never really gets going.

Brian Azarello's run is interesting because he breaks all the rules (John goes to the states, he doesn't narrate) and it works pretty well.

However, I just reread the Mike Carey and Denise Mina runs. Carey's stuff is great, IMO he takes the concept to a new level while staying within the old rules. Mina's story was just a good creepy scare.

I know nothing about the Constantine series. Sadly, it sounds like there's a lot of hatereading from people who just can't give up on the character.

Edited by Wax Lion

I'd recommend Justice League Dark.  The team up of Zatanna, Deadman and Constantine (the New52 version of him anyway) is pretty good.  Plus there is some really great artwork.  Given those persistent rumours of a Guillermo del Toro helmed Justice League Dark movie in the works, it might be worthwhile to check it out anyway to brush up in DC's supernatural/magical side

• Love 1

Slight correction: Dangerous Habits, not Bad Habits. And yes, it's crucial. The movie, such as it is, was based on it. All of Garth Ennis' run should be read.

Aside from what was mentioned, there's his debut in the Alan Moore Swamp Thing as a supporting character which is great. Can't remember the exact titles.

I didn't really like the Azzarello run, haven't read what's come after like Mina and Carey.

It does seem that the show is taking some plot points from Moore's "American Gothic" Swamp Thing run. The "rising darkness" story thread sounds more like what the Brujeria were doing to pump up supernatural evil across the globe than the more personal stories John was involved in within Hellblazer..

Edited by Bruinsfan

I'd recommend Justice League Dark. The team up of Zatanna, Deadman and Constantine (the New52 version of him anyway) is pretty good. Plus there is some really great artwork. Given those persistent rumours of a Guillermo del Toro helmed Justice League Dark movie in the works, it might be worthwhile to check it out anyway to brush up in DC's supernatural/magical side

Thanks. I asked my comic book guy about Justice League Dark and Constantine. He said he stopped reading JLD because it got too weird so I didn't bother.

Since X-Factor has been canceled I can pick up a replacement title, maybe I'll go with JLD over Constantine.