Type keyword(s) to search

S28.E11: The Sober Truth

photo fox
  • Start Topic

I'm in a 12-step program that is much more female-dominated, but I've been to many AA meetings over the years with my husband who has 23 years clean and sober.  I have always been grateful that I am not a female alcoholic.  The meeting vibe is totally different, with AA being so male dominated. There are many women-only meetings, but I don't know if that would always be an option in more rural areas.  

That being said, Karla had been through rehab twice and had to be very aware that getting into a relationship so soon was a big no-no.  I can't blame that on AA. Also, the first time the guy beat her and terrorized her, she bailed him out of jail and let him move back in with her.  That is all on her.

I really feel for Karla's parents and if something needs to change within AA, then it needs to be addressed, but their daughter's death is not AA's fault.

• Love 6

Right, it's pretty silly to blame AA.  I had to go to a few meetings after a DUI, and some of them are so underfunded they are about to close down.  No one is going to pay for a room and snacks for a criminals only AA.  Maureen's outfits were equally silly tonight.  One looked like a leather dress mixed matched with a cardigan.  She was really so excited about blowing the lid off the non-scandal of AA.  

• Love 6

That being said, Karla had been through rehab twice and had to be very aware that getting into a relationship so soon was a big no-no.  I can't blame that on AA. Also, the first time the guy beat her and terrorized her, she bailed him out of jail and let him move back in with her.  That is all on her.

I really feel for Karla's parents and if something needs to change within AA, then it needs to be addressed, but their daughter's death is not AA's fault.

Right, it's pretty silly to blame AA.  I had to go to a few meetings after a DUI, and some of them are so underfunded they are about to close down.  No one is going to pay for a room and snacks for a criminals only AA.  Maureen's outfits were equally silly tonight.  One looked like a leather dress mixed matched with a cardigan.  She was really so excited about blowing the lid off the non-scandal of AA.  

Unfortunately, the angle 48 Hours took was irresponsible, one sided and in hopes they would win some award for investigative journalism by taking down AA. I feel this may give someone who needs help just one more excuse not to get it. 

• Love 7

Maureen's outfits were equally silly tonight.  One looked like a leather dress mixed matched with a cardigan.

Yay, another Maureen Maher Outfit Observer!  I don't know why I care, but her outfits always amuse me.  That was an odd match, loose ugly beige cardigan with a presumably slick leather dress?  I liked the jeans and the navy blue blouse.  I thought her lipstick looked very 1996 at times, I didn't get that.  She always has great hair, though.

Also, does anyone know how tall MM is?  Because I have almost the identical body type as her and I'm pushing 6ft.  It occurred to me though, that the reason she appears so tall might be because her jackets always look SHORT on her?  They barely touch her hips, is that the look she's going for?  Anyway, I'm going to keep a lookout now to compare her with people she's standing with, because I need more 48 Hours fun in my life.

As for the episode, I definitely disagree with the justice system "sentencing" people to AA for a number of reasons, but you can't blame AA if criminals go there because of their sentence.  AA is just a support group that anyone can go to.  You can't screen for criminals anywhere in your life really, join a soccer team, a book club?  How do you know who you're sitting next to?  There are creepers everywhere!  It seemed to me that Karla simply had bad taste in men.

• Love 3

Agree with your post Jenkait, well the AA part.  I honestly don't pay attention to what she wears. I do with other correspondents but she is a blank to me.

AA seems to be a 'charity' or helping organization that has remained true to its mission, which is very rare. Red Cross,  Susan G.Komen Foundation, United Way and numerous other charities have made and used big bucks for dubious reasons.  AA has kept it simple all of these years and I commend them for that.

Sometimes I wish I could go to those meetings and have a sponsor.  I also like the serenity prayer which is all over my house.  I think AA works because they have kept their original mission.  

• Love 2

Be careful what you wish for, applecrisp.  ;-)   AA may work for some people, but it isn't a nice, safe little haven.  It's as full of assholes as the rest of the world, if not more so due to all the people who are attending only due to court mandate and have no interest in the AA "mission".  Sponsors are just people who managed to stay sober, and the 13th Steppers and other miscreants are a serious danger to vulnerable and recently sober women AND men.   The lawsuit, however, doesn't seem to have any legs to stand on.

• Love 4

I honestly don't pay attention to what she wears. I do with other correspondents but she is a blank to me.

That is too funny...because I have nooooo idea what other correspondents wear!  Like I've never even thought of it...  But I'm all like, "What's Maureen Maher wearing tonight?"  Can't explain.

Also, applecrip and walnutqueen...I always get you two mixed up, I think of that baked apple dessert with walnuts on top.

Edited by jenkait
  • Love 1

I honestly don't pay attention to what she wears. I do with other correspondents but she is a blank to me.

That is too funny...because I have nooooo idea what other correspondents wear!  Like I've never even thought of it...  But I'm all like, "What's Maureen Maher wearing tonight?"  Can't explain.

Also, applecrip and walnutqueen...I always get you two mixed up, I think of that baked apple dessert with walnuts on top.

Maureen Maher and her leather jackets go together like walnuts and apple crisp.  :-)

• Love 3