Type keyword(s) to search

Claire: The Pious/Judgy One

I like her the best, in general, or at least her odds of making it are clearly best, but I'm getting a major Opus Dei or other major Catholic subgroup feeling out of her.  Maybe the opposite - a charismatic Catholicism?  I was seeing a lot of what I consider evangelical Protestant stuff coming out of her, with the hands up in the air and some other things I've forgotten.  I wonder how that's going to mesh with old guard religious orders.   Was she the one referring to herself as a Christian? Obviously we Catholics are Christian, and realize that a lot of people who identify as "Christian" don't consider us so, but it struck me a bit "off" to self identify that way in the context in which she did, where "Catholic" would have been a more overreaching term for a Catholic.  Especially in the context of discussing becoming a Catholic nun.

I may be stuck in a 60s and 70s New England Irish and Italian Catholic mindset, however.

• Love 1

Claire is the one who hasn't dated for 5 years and is a church musician, right? (I'm still learning them.) I think she has given the vocation a ton of thought and she seems mature. I think she'll end up continuing on to be a nun. 

• Love 2

Maybe her parents wanted her to finish school, or she wanted to.  If she goes into an education-focused order, it may even be a requirement (or something she'd have to do anyway).  

Loved the way the sister immediately took her to task for being judgmental.  I don't think Claire's a bad person at all, but I think she's probably been "the holy one" in an already religious family/social network for quite a while, prides herself on that role, and assumed it would carry over into the real world.  

• Love 2

Pfffftttt for Claire. If she had seen some of the Sisters at my schools growing up, she would have been shocked apparently. They danced. Even what Claire would think of as being inappropriate dances. Their job (as teachers in our schools) was to be part of our community and to understand the students. They let their hair down and enjoyed interacting with us. I would not be shocked to see a nun giggling while trying to twerk at a school dance. 

*Note: Not all nuns were this way, some rode brooms to work. But some were fun.  

My annoyance with Claire is she claims to be "more mature" yet she goes tattle telling after the little twerking thing. One of my pet peeves is when people prayer as a way to gossip, which is how her little talk with the nun felt to me.

• Love 3

Claire's sister said that Claire told her two years ago that Jesus had proposed to her, and how could she refuse? So why did she wait two years until a reality show came along?

She did say she was further along than the other girls, and had done some level of discernment already so was used to it.

One of my pet peeves is when people prayer as a way to gossip, which is how her little talk with the nun felt to me.

Definitely.  But that's what made the nun's reaction was so awesome -- she turned it right back around on her.