Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Library

• Start Topic

Does anyone have any freaking clue how to automatically go to the next unread post when you click on a forum? When I click on this forum, it takes me to the first page now, and I can't figure out how to change that.

Well I know you have to be logged in, which you appear to be.  After I did that, I had to page to the end of the forum. Then I think I hit a bookmark-looking thing (which I don't see anymore) and ever since it has taken me to the right spot.

(edited)
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 2:00 AM, trudi-tru said:

I've been notified that val gave me a reputation. I have no idea what that means.

I hope it's "badass".

I'm sorry?  I have no idea how I did that trudi-tru. I hope that's not a bad thing that I sent to the moderators or anything like that. I revoke, I revoke!  

'G' and 'C' are finger stretching chords. I would personally start with 'D', 'E7' and 'A', valny. Good luck. Your fingers will be sore for a few weeks, but stick at it :)

They are sore Erratic,I really haven't progressed much. Learning guitar is harder than I thought, it's frustrating but I will keep at it for now,I refuse to give up...plus my guitar is so pretty. :)

Today I was at my attorney to sign paperwork for the deed of the house to be in my name and also make many signatures on my Will. Let me tell you, it was really weird when I first saw the documents with my name on it along with "Last Will and Testament"....Your mortality comes rushing in, it was bizarre.

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms here and to those who are still with them!

I like this customizing your homepage thing!

How are you doing KPC?

Edited by Valny

Happy Mother's Day!

Glad you are sticking with it, Valny. How much time you can devote to practice will make a big difference. Your fingers will eventually get calluses which will make it easier. I wonder if you shouldn't jump right into chords. It may be better to stick to notes, get comfortable with that and then move onto chords. That's a more natural progression. 

Not much new here. Still in what seems to be the never ending search for a good caregiver. I won't bore with the details. If I start, I may go on a never ending rant. I am going to see Captain America which should be a nice distraction. Looking forward to that. 

One thing I am loving about the forum is the new editing feature. So much easier. 

• Love 1

Good to know. I am going to try to see the movie this week.

My parents are arriving this week. Last year they came for 6 weeks (when I hate a 6 week old baby!!!) and flew into Calgary, which is a 3 hour drive each way to pick them up. This year I did the booking, they are flying through Iceland to Edmonton, (10 minute drive to my house), and they are coming for 2 weeks and 6 days. It is doable. 

• Love 4

That seems a good length, Erratic. Enjoy the visit. 

Captain America was fun. I must be getting old though. I found the jerky camera movements in the fight scenes very distracting. 

• Love 1

I'm trying to be patient, because I know I always hate change. This does seem like a particularly ugly interface, though. Each comment floats by itself in its own box; makes the connections between comments seem more tenuous, imo. These visual cues don't say "conversation" to me, they say "individual announcements."

Eventually it'll go away, and maybe its replacement will be easier to read. Maybe.

• Love 1

Oh yeah, now that you mention it I can see it -- it's supposed to look like texting. 

Grrreeeeaaaat. Yeah, nothing I love better than texting (except for EVERYTHING).

• Love 1

I don't how but Windows 10 starting installing on my PC. I was using it then closed the cover.... and when came back, it was at like 35% complete and I was yelling, what the hell?    NOOOOOO!! Then I was just hitting the escape button and swirling around on the mousepad but it wouldn't stop.  Damn, I was avoiding making the switch because...Change bad, Change Bad!!! Now I have to learn new things.

On a less stressful note, my sister is here for a visit.So it's nice to have someone that my dad can be with during the day while I'm at work, although I took two days off this week also, Tuesday and Friday.

Alexis Bledel and Vincent Kartheiser (also known as "when fandoms collide") had a baby over six months ago and nobody knew about it.

I can't believe they were able to pull if off. Did she not leave the house while she was pregnant?

How's it going with Windows 10, val? Has it finished installing yet?

• Love 4

You're not alone, Valny. That's happened to at least 3 people at work. Personally, I find it a little creepy. So far my computer hasn't upgraded itself. Although, I was told the upgrade is free now but won't be for much longer, so maybe it's a good thing it happened now. I have no desire to upgrade but work may want me to because of the cost factor. 

And, I hope you have a great visit with your sister. Mine also visited this week and I took a couple of days off as well. 

I've decided it's time to look for a new job. It's actually long overdue. Talk about not liking change - it's kept me in an unpleasant environment for much too long. I'm in the preparation stage now. I have to change my mindset, because I'm not looking forward to this. It's such a roller coaster. 

I hope everyone has a nice weekend!

• Love 2

Anyone else using Windows 10 and have any thoughts on it? I keep getting that popup trying to persuade me to "upgrade," but I really like the Windows 7 interface--I managed to avoid 8 because I hated that interface.

Windows 10 is better than 8 by a mile. I still prefer 7, but I'm not sure how much longer it will work. The interface of 10 is annoying, but if you devote more time to set up than you want, or should have to, you can make it user friendly. (Something that was nigh impossible on 8).

Caveat: I have one PC at home, and the rest of my computers and devices are Apple. Grains of salt needed all around. 

• Love 1

Hello! I too am back, even though I forgot I was even gone. I tried to peek in, had trouble logging in, gave up, etc.

Never mind that. Life is pretty good, nothing startling, but I always feel better as the days get longer and warmer. I still wake up with this "anxiety of things undone" feeling but I am trying to work with it by managing the symptoms (deep breathing) and talking about the root(s) of it (worry about the uncertain future; next phase of life with Dad gone; grief; actual things undone, etc.)

Also counting my blessings. I'd still like to open the subject of a meet up somewhere, sometime. I know we talked about Portland at one point but my planning function was offline at the time, I think. Now getting back online...anyone have an idea/plan/wish for a meet up somewhere?

(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 10:14 AM, trudi-tru said:

How's it going with Windows 10, val? Has it finished installing yet?

It's actually been ok. Still haven't made time to tinker/play around with it and personalize more, but I've come down from my initial stressing out over their download that I HADN"T APPROVED OF!  The thing that most stressed me out was I had kept a bunch of passwords to sites in a Word program and I didn't know if that all got copied over, then I was looking for it and didn't see Word right away...but cut to the chase, found it  and it's there all in one piece as Ieft it. Phew, that was scary. I think I actually had written them down in a  notebook but then I'd have to go looking for that too! 

I also did have a bunch of Favorites that didn't get copied over so I was not pleased about that. Then I looked on YouTube to see if there was a tutorial video to show me where the hell that favorites list could be hiding and luckily I found one. It was in a place I hadn't looked at,  a stupid icon with three slashes.Thank you YouTube people who post all this stuff!  

One thing I don't like is that the icons on the toolbar for Copy and Paste are not available. I asked my IT at work and he said they did away with those. I loved my copy and paste icons, they were so handy. I prefer those instead of right clicking and getting them that way.   Window 10 Fail!

Endeavour- hope you had a nice time with your sister too!

It was a beautiful summery day today, in the 80's and I lucked out because I had scheduled a vacation day today. My dad had a doctor's appointment at 3pm, instead of leaving work early to take him, I just thought, eh...I take the whole day. Aside from his short term memory loss, he's doing ok physically for a 95 year old. Last time he was at his docs, he was down to about 118 pounds, which was scary....but today's weigh in had him gaining about 10...so that's a good thing. Just got to keep that steady,which isn't easy since he always says he doesn't have an appetite. But I have him drinking those Boost protein drinks, which he needs. I buy it buy the case and that stuff is expensive!

Edited by Valny
  • Love 2

I'd love a get together as well but wouldn't be able to do one until next year as I am out of vacation and money this year.  I've been thinking about all of you and wishing everyone the best dealing with their grief (loss of loved ones), struggles (with family and work), and joys (Alfs and Bufflettes.)  You all make my life richer.

• Love 2
(edited)

Re: Copy and paste - CTRL+C and CTRL+V are always the easiest for me. In fact, probably because I spend so much of my life in Word, Excel & Powerpoint, I find keyboard shortcuts way better than using the mouse or icons. if Microsoft ever changed those up they'd have a fight on their hands and some very negative FB posts. 

Edited by romantic idiot
Because CTRL-V pastes and CTRL-P prints
  • Love 2

When I logged in here tonight it took me to a forum for "19 Kids and Counting." What??

Having a picnic for some friends this weekend. Are any of you great hostesses? In my mind I'm Ina Garten and everything is goung to be faaaaabulous. The reality is much more about stress and anxiety.

• Love 1

Windows 10 forced its way onto my work machine weeks ago, pissing me off greatly, since it didn't give me the opportunity to schedule it for a day when I had no deadlines, but I'm used to the format now and see few differences. All my shit is where I put it, and now I have a cool new Deadpool lock screen I didn't have before. With the tendinitis and my constantly trying to reduce mouse clicks, Ctl A/C/V/P/Z etc. are wonderful since I can dictate those. 

• Love 1

I hope those of us in US of A enjoy our extended weekends. I'll be partaking in the annual Memorial Day weekend combined birthday celebration w/ my sister-in-law on Sunday. The actual landmark is Tuesday. The Big 5-0. My plan is to neither look back nor look forward. And, possibly see a flick when the theatre is (relatively) empty.

Vibes to all.

• Love 3

Happy early BD LNB.  Hope you have a great time with family and friends. You deserve it.

I'm delighted to report the family vacation was a great success. But I've returned home only to find it became summer, aka itchy eyes time, in our absence.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to buy some plants for my 3 front porch pots. This will in all likelihood be the extent of my gardening this summer.

• Love 1

I am not a good hostess. I try, I stress and it turns out ok. I can live with that. I consider it a success if I don't food poison anyone. Yeah, low bar.

That's all you need, buffyjunkie. I planted some large flowerpots and put out some hanging baskets a couple of weeks ago. Livens everything up. It's so nice to see some color. 

Happy birthday, LnB

Hope everyone has a great weekend. 

• Love 1
(edited)

It's all your fault. You and your stupid birthday.  

Or maybe it's the summer, more time outside and less inside wasting time on the internet. 

Edited by trudi-tru
  • Love 2

Meh, I think for me it is a mix of things.  Part summer, part "I feel like I keep up a little bit with many of you from your posts elsewhere," part I'm stressing regarding an upcoming trip, part I'm physically feeling a little punky, part family obligations.  I do hope we can manage to keep things going.  I think we really need to try for a meetup next year too.  Hang in there everybody regardless of what is occupying your time.

• Love 2