Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Library

• Start Topic

That must be quite the mix of emotions, Erratic.

So, hot flashes. WTFOMGLOLBBQFU! I mean really, this seems like an issue that should have been solved in beta. Good job, HumanDesignTeam™! Except not. :/

Anyone else going from 98.6 to surface-of-the-sun in two seconds flat?

Nope. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Don't laugh but I'm seriously considering learning how to play the harmonica. I've always wanted to play an instrument and what is more portable than a harmonica!

I'm thirding or fourthing by now but definitely go for it. One of these days I will dust off my guitar. I swear I will.

Don't know who has seen it yet, but The Mr. Robot finale was bizarre. I understand why it was postponed though.

Anyone have good plans for the weekend? I'm taking an extra day. Not sure what I'm doing but I think I'll just get caught up with things and unwind.

ETA: The quote/line spacing issue drives me crazy.

Edited by Endeavour

It's almost 4am now...I have wicked insomnia. Boo.  And it happens frequently. At first I thought it was because I was drinking hot tea about two hours before bedtime, so I cut

that out. Nope, didn't help. Lucky I took off today, or I'd get about three hours sleep before work.

But... four day weekend, so yay.

I'll chime in later about the fabulous hot flashes.Hey, that could be a band name. Ladies and gentlemen, the Fabulous Hot Flashes!  :)

• Love 1

Sorry about the insomnia, Val. Have you tried the most commonly suggested tricks, like establishing a routine before going to bed or taking something mild like melatonin?

It must be really difficult interacting with people whose child has been taken away. Good thing you don't have to deal with that, Erratic.

That Fabulous Hot Flashes' cd will be titled:  "Nasty Biological Misogyny."  I swear, I want to make this into some weird hilarious short movie.  5 women with menopause start a band and play to sold out crowds full of teenage boys and girls and win grammys galore.   The tagline: "Menopause never sounded so great."

When one has a hot flash, does a cold shower help, or is it just hot on the inside?

Mr. Robot- all I have to say right now is "...da fuck?"

Ick to insomnia.  I hope you sleep better tonight valny.

I hab a colb, so I don't think I'm doing too much.  I think I picked it up from one of the many little children (actually obnoxious entitled excuses for children) and their Stage Moms from Hell.  

erratic I am glad that you are spared the stress of supervised visits from them.

I hope everyone else's weekend is going to be happy and/or relaxing.

• Love 1

Wow Erratic, that is really intense. Strength and courage as you go forward.

When one has a hot flash, does a cold shower help, or is it just hot on the inside?

If you were to touch me, you would be alarmed. So yes cool shower, roll in the snow, a few minutes in a freezer are all good. Mostly I just breathe.

Valny have you tried the no-computer (or phone or tv) screen several hours before bed time?

Mr. Robot- all I have to say right now is "...da fuck?"

My reaction too mixed with slight disappointment.

I used to have an issue with insomnia too, Valny. It's so frustrating. There was a book that helped somewhat. I'll have to see if I can find it. One of the things it recommended was not looking at the clock when you wake up in the middle of the night. I do that to this day. It also basically made you retrain yourself to sleep. It would start by making you limit the amount of sleep to the minimum you need or a few hours (which may be all that you're getting anyway) and gradually add to that time. You cannot nap or sleep at any other time. And if you're not sleeping, you have to stay out of bed. I'll take a look for the book and post back with the title if I can find it. I hope you're able to get back on track soon. I know how difficult it is and it ends up affecting everything.

Edited by Endeavour

Greetings from Denver! (I would've tried to have a meetup with Harvester, but I won't have any free time while we're here, alas.) We got here Thurs. night and go home on Monday. The Giants are in town playing the Rockies, so Mr F and I decided that what we really wanted to do to celebrate our 25 th anniversary was take a trip with the whole family, and our trips are almost always baseball trips. So we're able to mark off Coors Field on our list of ballparks visited.

And speaking of Coors Field, it's, um, big? And completely soulless? (And half empty, a phenomenon completely unheard of at ATT.) It's not their fault, really -- if you're an expansion team that doesn't have a long, deep history, and you've also not established a winning tradition, well, I can see why the Rockies' fans were so unengaged at the game last night. And the Rockies won! But this is their history:

In 1993, they started play in the Western division of the National League. Since that date, the Rockies have reached the Major League Baseball postseason three times, each time as the National League wild card team. Twice (1995 and 2009) they were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs. In 2007, the Rockies advanced to the World Series, only to be swept by the Boston Red Sox.

Wow. *eyeroll* I mean, the scoreboard put up messages like "Two Strikes! Make noise!" Pathetic. If you actually care, you already know the strike count! Anyway, we go to games tomorrow and Sunday, and hopefully the Giants' bats will wake up. They seem to be falling apart here towards the playoffs, sigh. We're having really nice family time, which I'm appreciating more and more as the day comes ever closer when my kids are grown. Years to go yet, but I feel like we should get as much family time in as possible before the kids have their own lives, heh.

I hope y'all are having a good weekend!

Edited by AnnieF
  • Love 2

My weekend plans are (1) volunteering at back-to-back Weird Al concerts tonight and Sunday, (2) getting some paying work done, which finally showed up after a two-week dry spell, and (3) possibly seeing Shakespeare in the Park on Monday; I'll have to see how work and weather look. Plus movies and/or some TNG episodes, time permitting.

Enjoy Denver, AnnieF. I want to visit there myself one of these days.

No hints for insomnia, valny. I get it too, but my approach is "freelance work lets me nap whenever I want, so who cares if I'm up at 3 am?" That's not an option for people with real jobs.

I swear, I want to make this into some weird hilarious short movie.  5 women with menopause start a band and play to sold out crowds full of teenage boys and girls and win grammys galore.

Sort of an Angry Housewives thing?

I am loving me some baseball this year. First time in 20 years or so. I would love to go to a game, but travel to Toronto is quite a trip from here.

My parents finally left this week after a 6 week visit. I mean, I love them and all, but six weeks is a very, very long time. Especially with a baby in the house, and a father who thinks that making sexist jokes is a funny way to wind me up.

Anyway, vibes all around.

• Love 1

AnnieF, I remember my trip to Coors Field. I guess the view of the mountains had me feeling some "soul." But, I had no idea how big the field was. They were still playing with the un-dehumidified balls, so I got to see 6 HRs and watch a team have their closer warming up w/ a five-run lead. 

Erratic, Minnesota is much closer. It's probably too late now, but you could probably go to a game when Toronto is playing there next year. 

Vibes to those undergoing hot flashes, insomnia, and all other situations. 

A Minnesota meet-up sometime could be fun too.

Yup AnnieF, enjoy the time. I would literally advise people to live with/in dirt if it meant they were spending good time with their kids.  This is our first weekend as empty-nesters, which is good because we mostly want to sleep.  I'm on the road again for work so I think the whole empty-nest sorrow thing won't hit me until late September or October.   Hey, I just read a pretty funny travel book called Pass the Butterworms.  In it he describes his episode with malaria.  Pretty much sounds like hot-flashes except we don't get the trippy dreams.  At least not that I know about.

Glad you're getting some time back to yourselves, Erratic.  Good luck with the insomnia Valny.  Glad to hear the work came at just the right time Darkpool.  Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

AnnieF, I remember my trip to Coors Field. I guess the view of the mountains had me feeling some "soul."

I live in a mountainous place, so that didn't really do it for me. ;) The other thing that we have been amazed at is just how many Giants fans there are in the ballpark. I would venture that approx. 25% of the crowd the last two nights was in orange (Giants color) not purple (Rockies color). At times the "Let's go Giants!" cheering that spontaneously arose from groups of fans was louder than anything the Rockies fans were doing (which was mostly nothing unless prompted by the scoreboard). I have never been in a major league ballpark where this was the case; usually there are some fans wearing the opposing team's swag, but not in such numbers, and not with the ability to literally drown out the home team's fans. It's been awesome for us, because go Giants!, but damn. It must really suck to be a Rockies fan.

Day game today, travel day tomorrow. I hope everyone is having a good weekend. :)

Bye Dad's cat. :(

More baseball stuff, skip if you don't care: I've got a short window of time here between the end of the game (Giants won!) and dinner (Brazilian steakhouse, hope it's good). And I have more thoughts. By the end of the game the ballpark was probably 50/50 Rockies and Giants fans, which is just weird. The PA system at Coors field is the loudest one I've ever encountered (my pool is smallish, but I have been to 6 major league ballparks and two NHL arenas, and damn, that sucker was LOUD). My theory is that it's to fill the cavernous space and create a sense of excitement or liveliness in the ballpark. It doesn't work. ;)

Oh, and the thing I found most amusing: to try to rev up the crowd when the team is trailing at the bottom of the 9th, the music that they play is this electronica thing with one single word shouted over and over. The word? "Go!." Now, this struck me as a poorly thought out choice, because at all three games we went to, the crowd was already "go"ing, as in going out of the ballpark, goodbye. Not super inspiring, imo. At ATT park the 9th inning "let's have a comeback" music is Journey, "Don't Stop Believin'". Which is more in the spirit of the thing than "Go!" shouted at you very loudly by some DJ or whatev. Plus Journey is a Bay Area band and Steve Perry goes to games all the time.

In conclusion, Coors field is down at the bottom of the list of ballparks I've visited. There isn't even any interesting food. All standard ballpark fare, plus Rocky Mountain oysters, which is a gimmick, imo (dare your friends to eat it! Ha ha ha!) We've had a great time, and it's certainly not a bad place to watch baseball. But many other parks are better, heh.

• Love 1

Yeah , AnnieF, I have never been to Coors field. So many of the games are played in the blistering Colorado sun, and I cannot take it. I would love to have seen you, but I understand the busy. I could have pointed you in the direction of some better restaurants though. We do have some kickass culinary options. Ironically, none of them were featured at A Taste of Colorado which was also this weekend. It was more like, Taste the Fast Foods of Colorado in a batshit crowd.

In other news, I just bought tickets to see Janet Jackson. Squee!

• Love 1

Oh we had great food success! Just not at the ballpark. We stayed (well, we're still here, but we're leaving in a couple of hours) at the Crawford Hotel inside Union Station, which has been really, really nice. We've had great breakfasts at Snooze, and excellent dinners at Stoic and Genuine (everything there was fantastic) and Rodizio (the Brazilian steakhouse, also delish). I can't complain there. :) And I'm really impressed with how successful the rejuvenation of Union Station is; the place was bustling pretty much the whole time we've been here.

My takeaway sportswise is that Denver is a football town. A culture of baseball fandom doesn't seem to have taken root, even though the Rockies have existed for 22 years. It makes for an interesting experience at the ballpark, that's for sure. Somehow I doubt that at Broncos games there are a substantial number of fans rooting for the opponents, heh.

Edited by AnnieF

*runs around the forum waving and laughing*

Hi, all. I guess I have become a lurker. Lifestyle continues with a lot of TV watching and therefore less online time; odd that it makes such a difference to my socializing. Still seeing it as all a part of the limbo-time. I'm sure when baseball season ends (sniff!) that will help contribute to turnaround. That, and the eventual arrival of October, which is my "end of this life phase, beginning of thinking about whatever's next" month.

I feel like I can keep up somewhat with most of y'all on FB, but there you don't quite get the hilarity or the ups and downs of life and loss. I won't reiterate all the news, but glad/sad to see. RE: hot flashes, I think I'm pretty well past them, but--and this is gonna sound weird, and possibly mine weren't very severe--I kinda came to appreciate them. Like, that slight buzzed aura feeling you get just as it starts out, then it hits, then passes, woooheee!

Are we still talking about a Portland meetup?

• Love 1

1)  CKO!!!!!  happily runs around in circles

2) Love and hugs to hostile's Dad.

3) Annief, sounds like a super holiday- and a tasty one too.  

4) Six weeks for a parental visit is too long.  Did they live in the your house with you, or did they (hopefully) rent another house so that everyone had room to breathe.  If my Mother came to live with me for six weeks I might go all March Hare and Dormouse.  "twinkle twinkle little bat, how I wonder where you're at...."

5) I hope everyone had a lovely weekend!!!

Edited by KittenPokerCheater

Sorry to hear about your dad's cat, Hostile. Hope your dad is doing ok.

Glad you're having a great time, AnnieF. I don't like baseball but I'm enjoying reading your observations.

Glad you have your house back, Erratic. Sounds like it was just in the nick of time!

I took an extra day off for long weekend, but it wasn't long enough. Never is.

• Love 2
Somebody get the jam!

trudi-tru, I'm reaching across the atlantic to give you a big ol' hug.  And then get ready to sing some Tea Drinking Song.

I'm sorry you lost your sanity erratic, but I'm glad you've got the jam.  and perhaps a scone or two.  Or three.

I took an extra day off for long weekend, but it wasn't long enough. Never is.

I'm beginning to think that 3 day weekends should be changed to a 5 day weekend.  Hugs endeavour.

• Love 3

Hugs to HostileDad. :o( *waves arms to CKO* Hi!

I once spent a weekend in D.C. and went to two Phils/Nationals games where the Phillies fans far outnumbered the Nats fans - it was definitely a weird feeling. It was especially off putting to have the scoreboard telling me to root for the "other guys."

Vibes to empty nesters and hooray for parents finally leaving nests after looooong visits. Hot flashes:not looking forward to them.

Are any NYC or DC folks here experiencing the same excruciating lead up to the Pope's visit as we are in Philly? I feel like we've been hearing about road closures and SEPTA rerouting and plans and ticket instructions for a decade now. The President comes in and out of town with less kerfuffle. I do realize the Pope doesn't travel as much as the President but still, this feels nutty.

• Love 1

That sucks about the traffic. I feel pretty confident that the pope will never come here -- it's bad enough when Obama swings through town (which he's done a couple times). And this is a place that really does not have much of a traffic problem. Having lived in both southern and northern CA, and having commuted on freeways in both places, I feel like telling local Reno people to just stow it when they complain about the traffic. Really not an issue here, folks.

And I wanted to share with y'all the other thing that of course I did while in CO -- visit a dispensary. I cannot wait until this is a thing here; it was the BEST. Since I was from out of state I had to shop on the recreational side (must have a CO medical card to shop on the med side) but that wasn't really a problem. I told the very nice woman exactly what I was looking for (pain control, help sleeping, high ratio of CBDs to THC, edibles) and she led me right to some gummy bears. They literally looked exactly like regular gummy bears, which I think they probably shouldn't? Tasted like artificial fruit flavor, about which I am not complaining at all, because homemade edibles taste yucky, ime. And an e-cig, basically, which I could use inside the hotel because it didn't stink to high heaven. THE BEST. Cannot wait.

• Love 3
They literally looked exactly like regular gummy bears, which I think they probably shouldn't?

Yeah, that's not a great idea. You might accidentally give them out to trick-or-treaters. Like Frank Romano did with the colorful condoms.

Vibes and condolences to Boliver and Silverfox.

Ditto.

• Love 1

They literally looked exactly like regular gummy bears, which I think they probably shouldn't?

Yeah, that's not a great idea. You might accidentally give them out to trick-or-treaters. Like Frank Romano did with the colorful condoms.

The scene when I opened up the gummy bears bottle:

Me: "These look just like gummy bears!"

Mr F: "Cool!"

Me: "They look EXACTLY like gummy bears..."

Mr F: "Maybe that's not the best idea."

The e-cig dispenses the wacky? That is awesome!

It was pretty cool. It was called a k-puff, and I didn't even use it all up (I did not try to smuggle any mj back from CO. There are drug-sniffer dogs all over the airport, probably to keep the mj in-state). It didn't hurt my throat, barely produced any smoke or odor -- best thing ever.

Huge condolences to Bol and Silverfox. :(

Edited by AnnieF
  • Love 1

Valny have you tried the no-computer (or phone or tv) screen several hours before bed time?

Ahahaha! that's hysterical!  And that would be a no.  But it's probably good advice buffynut because I am usually on my pc before I get in bed. Maybe the censors or whatever in my brain thinks it's still on daytime hours since the screen is light.

And I love to watch tv in bed, so I can't stop that...I can't stand going to bed without watching, because then I'd really have trouble falling asleep.  I shouldn't complain about dumb insomnia, people have worse things to deal with here.

Have you tried the most commonly suggested tricks, like establishing a routine before going to bed or taking something mild like melatonin? 

I have never heard about the melatonin, that's interesting trudi.

I don't think I mentioned it, but last year my niece got engaged and now the wedding is finally here. She's getting married this month ton the 19th.  Her and her boyfriend live in California but they're both from Tulsa and that's where they are getting married. So me and dad are leaving this Saturday for Tulsa and will be stay for a little over a week, coming back on the 21st. My sister wanted us there ahead of time so we could be together and hang before the wedding.  I think the plan is we're staying at her house until Wednesday then getting kicked out because her two sister in laws are also flying in from NY that day and will be staying there...but that's fine since we will be shuffled off to  my niece's and hubby's house.  She has a new house, three cute dogs and a built in pool. And I can get my own room with cable and Netflix.   Um...I have no problem with that.

Anyway, it's probably  going to be an adventure this time traveling with dad now that he tires very easily when he walks. Oy. My sister called the airline for me and reserved a wheelchair, which I know he'll be against and fight me about.  Not looking forward to that. But I know all that walking in the airport will be a lot for him, so it's best...hopefully he realizes that. But you know...stubborn old man. My sister told me  "Tell him everyone 94 or older gets one!"    But she also told me that if you're in a wheelchair you don't have wait in the long security lines, they bring you to another line.  I hope that's right.

Hostile16-   Belated condolences on your dad's cat.  I now that was his buddy.

Re: the hot flashes topic.  Mine kicked in about two years ago, and not as bad as the horror stories I've heard from others.  I'd just get a flush of heat then it would go away after about a minute...then start again.  so it was annoying; one minute hot, next cool down and repeat for maybe an hour.  It would be most annoying in the winter since if I had a light sweater on, I'd have to keep taking it off and on, off and on off.  But my sister said she'd used to sweat profusely when she got her flashes, and my cousin said sometimes in bed she'd wake up and her  pajamas would be soaked. That sounded just awful, luckily I was nowhere near that level of heat!

Edited by Valny
I am usually on my pc before I get in bed.

That's big no-no. What about reading?

Old people are lot like little kids. You have to stand your ground and be firm, val. Wheelchair or no trip.

I hope both you and your dad have a good time.

• Love 1

valny, using the computer just before bedtime really does prevent you from falling asleep. The type of light generated from a computer screen stimulates the brain and prevents you from producing melatonin naturally. (Here's just one study, but there are lots more.)

You gotta turn that computer off earlier, girl! And until you get back onto a good sleep schedule, melatonin supplements can work pretty well.

ETA: Serena lost to Vinci? Wow, that's a major upset. I have to wonder if all the pressure of playing against her sister (and being kept up late at press conferences) affected her game.

Edited by Chyna
  • Love 1

Ah, the joys of babies. So unpredictable! Always up for a new adventure! Possibly in sleeplessness! ;)

I wish I had advice, but those days are all a blur. Eventually the sleep thing works out? Well, actually, now that I think about it, that's not true. I know people whose 11-year-olds are still climbing into their bed in a regular basis, which no. You have to make some rules (my rule #1: everyone sleeps in their own bed) but Alf is so little, at this point you're just at his mercy. Heh. :)

Edited by AnnieF
  • Love 1

Ah, your ALF is showing signs of terrible three-ism early?  Awesome!  This just shows how your awesome parenting is already putting him in the accelerated classes! 

Viva Italiana!  I've only seen bits of the match, but it looks as if Vinci really played an excellent Match.  I feel sorry for Serena, but she played a good match too- she just  didn't play well enough today.  It's always great to see exciting matches no matter who is playing, and I was certain Serena was going to win this in a cakewalk.

Valny, I hope your insomnia has left.  Sleeplessness is awful.

9/11  Every year it's like a punch in the gut.  Walking home that day was the scariest eeriest day I've ever had.  So love and good vibes to everyone, and especially all those who lost loved ones that day.

Guess whose father casually said on the phone tonight:  "So I'm coming down to stay with you next week."    

Me:  Er....what?

Dad:  Yes, I think we're arriving Wednesday.

cue:  KPC goes bonkers trying to get her apartment Parent ready.

• Love 1

He was sleeping 10-12 hours a night, but the last couple of nights he has been waking around 4am and not going back to sleep!

It's a phase. Everything is a phase. Knowing that made the second kid a lot easier--every time she stopped eating or sleeping well, I didn't freak out because I knew it would go back to normal in a bit. 

Or it's a growth spurt.

• Love 1

valny, if you have or can get a tablet to read instead of using a computer, that may help. I read before going to sleep on the iPad and just dim the screen a lot. It doesn't seem to affect me that way. I also found the books I read - Say Good Night to Insomnia (The 6-Week Solution) and Desperately Seeking Snoozin'. Its been years since I read them, but maybe they'll help you. Hope you have a nice trip and traveling with your dad goes well.

Oooh, good luck, KPC.

Old people are lot like little kids. You have to stand your ground and be firm, val. Wheelchair or no trip.

I can't believe it, my dad didn't complain about getting in a wheelchair at the airport! I was shocked he did it so willing. Oh sure, sometimes he'd say, "I can walk", but he was actually alright with it all.And even I didn't have to go through that tube thing to get screened because I had "expedited screening" stamped on my boarding pass too! So that was nice.

if you have or can get a tablet to read instead of using a computer, that may help.

I brought my tablet on vacation, so we'll see how my sleep habits change after not using a pc for a week.

using the computer just before bedtime really does prevent you from falling asleep. The type of light generated from a computer screen stimulates the brain and prevents you from producing melatonin naturally

Yeah, that must be the thing that is messing my sleep up, or at least a contributing factor, so I will try to cut back. I need to be weaned off!   :)  Thanks for the info Chyna.

KPC-  good luck with the surprise parents visit. Breathe deeply.   At least you got a little warning.

Erratic - is Alf sleeping a little better? 

Hi jaytee, jump on in :)

Valny, I have been trying to sell my dad on the wheelchair at the airport: priority boarding and baggage, better treatment. When I had my duff knee, I loved how special I was treated at Heathrow and Calgary airports. And on the plane too!

And, no. I got cocky. Alf is quite happily reverting to erratic (heh) hours of nightly feeding.

I flew through Atlanta with my mom while she was sick, and we actually had an escort meet us at the gate. It was fantastic; he took us all these back ways that were both shortcuts and empty, which was great for her compromised immune system. I highly recommend asking for special treatment.

Reprieve! Dad is not coming until Fridau! I have a few more days to get me apartment patently approved.

Welcome jaytee! Come on in, the water's fine!

[btrudi tru. [/b] the women's final was so great to watch! It was seeing a lot of skill, not just power tennis. I feel sorry for Federer though. I'd really like to see him win one more grand slam.

• Love 1