Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Library

• Start Topic

I put American Horror Story on for about 10 minutes once and turned it off. I don't think it was anything to do with the show. More that I just wasn't in the mood to watch something new at that point. That being said, I'm not much of a horror person, so I don't know if it would be for me. How horror-y is it? Is there another show you could compare it to?

I don't think anything compares to it Endeavour. Not that I've seen anyway. It's really one of a kind. It's disturbing,twisted,sometimes scary, so well acted...and just highly entertaining to me. If you're not really into that genre or a horror person as you say, I would think it would be hard to get enjoyment out of it though. Do you remember what 10 minutes you saw?

Erratic- that sucks,sorry that has to be the tough part of your job. I couldn't do it that's for sure.

val, I'm a fellow AHS fan. It should air here soon. I'm very excited about the circus setting. It could provide plenty of weirdness.

Did you know a former Voice (I know you also follow that) contestant was chosen to do a song for the series? It's called Carousel and it's really good. 

I did not know that trudi-tru. You scooped me!  Oh wow, now I remember that contestant, Melanie Martinez..she always had one half of her hair blonde and the other half black. And she was from Long Island too!

TGIF soon!

Marriage equality is legal in my state now! It is awesome, and yet I am said for my friend Justin, who never lived to see this day. We used to talk about this stuff, waaaay back in the 80s. In 1985, this day seemed impossible. Literally, we couldn't see a future like this. And now it's here. Rest in peace, my friend. I wish you'd lived to see it, but it's here. The day is fianlly here. :)

Hmm, it won't let me edit. Anyone else having that problem?

• Love 6

Working backwards and forwards, trying to keep up, so apologies if I forget something.  Flu (or whatever virusy thing I am going through) sucks.  Not as much as cancer, but it sucks.  And so, congratulations to your Spanish teacher trudi.  Such great news.

Erratic,  I'm so sorry you have to dole out the smack-age and bad news- and especially right before a holiday weekend.  I hope you occasionally get to give out good news.  And speaking of, if you feel like sharing, how goes your adoption process?

I don't know the legalities now of taping someone without their consent, but when I didn't a little investigatory thing in CA, I was wired for video but not audio- apparently audio without consent was illegal but video was not.  I think it still varies from state to state, but I defer to [n]LnB[/b] in all things legal.

It is shocking, the whole abuse thing.  It makes me sick to my stomach for various reasons, but I am sure I am not the only one.  It is good, though, that people talk about it rather than pretend it never happens/wouldn't happen in these "enlightened times."

Annief, your job in the test kitchen sounds hilarious.  I swear, there is a satiric sitcom hiding in there somewhere.

I am fine with meetings, but I now think they need to be all held standing up.

Just the thought of AHS gives me nightmares.  Glad you guys like it, I'll be over here in the corner hiding.

Yay for more marriage equality in the usa!

And speaking of, if you feel like sharing, how goes your adoption process?

All of our paperwork is completed, our two weekends of training start next weekend. Will update after that starts. :)

Feel better soon, KPC

And, Happy Canadian Thanksgiving to all, eh? May our hockey' teams not suck!

Edited by Erratic
  • Love 2

Marriage equality is legal in my state now!

Yay! Here, we're recognizing the same sex marriages officiated abroad. Small steps.

There is of course a group of people, called something like Silent Sentinels, who stand still reading in squares and the like as a form of pacific protest.

I wonder if they'd be willing to stand in the street of hours in support of something that actually mattered, like women equality or world peace. My guess? No.

Feel better, KPC.

Happy Thanksgiving, Canada!

• Love 1
Just the thought of AHS gives me nightmares.  Glad you guys like it, I'll be over here in the corner hiding.

Sooo, then creepy killer clowns aren't your thing KPC?  :)   Feel better soon!

Marriage equality is legal in my state now!  Hip hip, hooray!

How many states does that make now?

All of our paperwork is completed, our two weekends of training start next weekend. Will update after that starts. :)

Yay! Do you know what exactly kinds of things they'll be training you on Erratic? Good luck to you and your hubby with all of that.

The Walking Dead comes back tonight! Supposed to go over my friend's house for a little premiere party; it's always a lot funner(that's not a word?) when you watch with others who love the show too. and plus...junk food.

• Love 1

Yay! Do you know what exactly kinds of things they'll be training you on Erratic? Good luck to you and your hubby with all of that.

Dealing with attachment disorders, other special needs, dealing with grief. All fun stuff like that.

Do you remember what 10 minutes you saw?

It was up on Netflix, so I was trying to start from the beginning. If I'm remembering correctly, it was just a kid walking around a deserted/creepy house. I may give it another try one day, but I would probably be joining KPC in the corner if I do.

Speaking of KPC - I hope you are feeling better soon. I never used to get the flu shot but, after getting the flu the past 2 years, I now do.

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving, Erratic and good luck with your training!

it's always a lot funner(that's not a word?) when you watch with others who love the show too. and plus...junk food.

Definitely funner (word or not). I do this with a nibling for all things Doctor Who related. And, yeah, snacks make everything better.

I've not had the best week. We're home now but my mom was in the hospital for a couple of days. The other morning, she didn't look good and stopped responding to me. She then began to shake and collapsed. Luckily, I was holding her so she didn't hurt herself when this happened. They ran many tests at the hospital and they all came back good, so we don't know why this happened. I am glad all of her tests were good, but it is scary not knowing what triggered it, how to prevent it or if/when it will happen again. I stayed overnight at the hospital with her and someone in the family was with her at all times. I wasn't at all happy with the hospital, but I'll save that rant for another time.

• Love 2

Endeavour, I'm so sorry about your Mom.  How scary, and how lucky she is to have you.  I hope you are able to get a little time for yourself to decompress after all the stress and annoying hospital.

Flu is taking awhile to go away.  Shoo Flu!  I thank you all for your get well soon vibes and I am definitely on the other side.  You rawk!

Special hugs for you neighbors.

Barphe, still vibing in your general direction!

For those who watch TWD or whichever scary thing is ontonight, have fun.  I'll be over here in the corner thinking of kittens and puppies and cupcakes.  lalalalalalalalala!

Edited by KittenPokerCheater
  • Love 1

For those who watch TWD or whichever scary thing is ontonight, have fun.  I'll be over here in the corner thinking of kittens and puppies and cupcakes.  lalalalalalalalala!

TWD  was a ton more violent than American Horror Story.  Geez!  You would have been curled in a little ball KPC! :) But it was fun watching with some friends because we were all reacting in unison with our  OOHH's OMG's! Eeeew's!

Endeavour-  hope the doctors can eventually find out what happened to your mom, but glad you and your family were there for her, I know it can be very scary to say the least.  Take care of yourself too.

• Love 2

Oh, Endeavor, hugs to you and best wishes to your mom. Hopefully she will make a thorough recovery.

let the cupcake wars recommence!

I'll admit I'm worried--not about losing the battle, but that the reopened Crumbs just won't be as good. Fortunately (or unfortunately perhaps) I found a lovely substitute here in the Bay Area--a gourmet bakery but I forget the name. Their vanilla cupcake is super rich with a nice hard frosting JUST HOW I LIKE IT val.

Hope you are feeling better KPC, and love to neighbors and family for the loss of Clinton.

• Love 1

I've been out of touch for a few days, so I'm just catching up. For anyone keeping records, I am against creepy killer clowns, zombies, having the flu, and losing beloved family pets.  I am very much for cupcakes, snacks in general, and adoption processes moving forward.

Endeavour I'm sorry to hear about your mom, that must have been so scary.  I'm glad the tests all came back okay and hope they get to the bottom of it. 

• Love 2

God vibes for your mom, Endeavour. :)

I am waiting for the vacuum repair person. My new house had a central vac, which is all fancy and shit (heh). Alas, it doesn't suck. So, that's not right.

• Love 1

So the vacuum sucks for not sucking, hmm?

I got the dreaded call from the school nurse this afternoon--Tiny C has head lice. So the rest of my day has been all about washing and drying all of her bedding and her ten billion stuffed animals and poring over the various lice treatments at the drugstore. Who knew there were so many kinds? And now I'm wondering if my itchy head is psychosomatic from thinking about lice all day.

So, I left home at 6.30am. Drove for two and a half hours to fire three people. One person was there: one was on her regular fucking day off, one called in sick.

I fired/laid off the one guy. Left at 9.30am. Drive two and a half hours back to my office, completed payroll for 9 locations, and tomorrow I HAVE TO DO IT ALL AGAIN!!!!!

Driving is fun.

Trudi-tru I concur. I'm not a huge cupcake fan but that one was fabulous.

Oh no, Chyna - my sympathy. That is one of those things that just make you itch thinking of it.

This Ebola thing is freaking me out with the boy going abroad. I know it is not an entirely logical response.

Erratic I am sorry that your day of suckitude has turned into two days. You should give yourself a treat afterward.

Edited by buffyjunkie
  • Love 1

A central vac system sounds nice - you know, when it works. Hope it's an inexpensive repair, AnnieF.

My reaction to your post, Chyna, was ack!

I hope you have a better day tomorrow Erratic.If not tomorrow, then the rest of week.

My day wasn't too bad. Work was quiet for a change and I was able to take it easy which was nice. Going to have a lazy night - settle in, get caught up on some shows and snack more than I should.

• Love 2

Here's what a ridiculously happy child Tiny C is: Throughout all of this lice business, she was pleased to learn that the singular of "lice" is "louse," she thought that hanging her head upside-down over the bathtub was funny, she thought the lice-killing shampoo smelled good (it actually smells a lot better than the stuff that was around when I was a kid!), and when I wrapped a towel around her before the shampooing, she decided her "sarong" was cute. I don't know where she got her boundless optimism, because it sure wasn't from either of her parents!

• Love 7

Chyna, sorry to hear about the lousy situation. Cone on, I had to go there. Still, I can imagine the hassle, and I am sorry you have to deal with it.

AnnieF, sorry about the vacuum, but how are the new digs otherwise? Is your old house on the market yet or are you waiting for repairs?

Endeavor, vibes to you and your mom.

Edited by Harvester
  • Love 2

Marriage equality is legal In my state now, too. Here are the moving words from our (Republican) governor, who has clearly seen the error of his ways:

"The administration is moving forward with the execution of the court's ruling and will continue to do so unless otherwise notified by the courts. Each agency will work through the implications of the court's ruling regarding its operations."

It brings you to tears, doesn't it?

• Love 2
I don't know where she got her boundless optimism

I am so envious of people like that. Don't ever change, Tiny C!

Erratic, that is some bad luck. Can you call ahead to know if the people are coming in before driving all the way there again?

Calling in sick and taking a day off the day someone drives 2.5 hours to fire you. People have no manners.

• Love 1
Tiny C sounds adorable.

During a Girl Scout game this weekend, each girl had to pick a card with a word on it. Tiny C's card had an exclamation point on it. She told me, "I picked this card because it's me. I'm like an exclamation point." I suppose that's how she can make a de-lousing seem fun.

Edited by Chyna
  • Love 6

So we had a cyclone/hurricane (Hudhud) here in India (nowhere close to me). The pictures on the news look so bad. And there's really no real infrastructure in place to help those who've had their crops destroyed. And in one of the port town, apparently a car dealer had every car destroyed. And you know there's going to be no insurance payout because "act of God". I'm sad. 

In better news, Tiny C seems adorable and someone who isn't afraid to be different. I'm a fan. 

And you know there's going to be no insurance payout because "act of God". I'm sad.

Ugh, that sucks. Those poor people.

In better news, Tiny C seems adorable and someone who isn't afraid to be different. I'm a fan.

Me too! Go Tiny C with your bad self!

AnnieF, sorry about the vacuum, but how are the new digs otherwise? Is your old house on the market yet or are you waiting for repairs?

I just got off the phone with the contractor; they're putting in some tile today, cabinets are on their way, amd paint will happen next week. Soon, we'll put it on the market, and see what happens. Hopefully it'll sell quickly.

The wind was gusting up to 70 MPH last night; kept me awake a good part of the night. Still a strong wind advisory in effect right now. Blergh.

And again, I can't edit. Is this happening to anyone else? I get to the edit page, but can't actually get a cursor or do anything. Anyone else?

I aspire to be like Tiny C when I grow up.

When I was growing up, if one got sent home with Lice, you were then completely ostracized by the other kids for like, weeks, afterwards.  Which, of course, was hilarious because pretty much my school was "if one kid has it, then everyone probably has it so start washing/de-lousing."   

I am sure your itching is psychosomatic Chyna.  And I am sure you have done an excellent job sterilizing your home.

Ebola is scaring me too.  Even though I know I should not be as..  But it does boggle my mind that the nurse hopped a plane first of all, and then again with a fever when she knew she had been treating that poor (and now dead) man.  Obviously, hindsight is 20/20 but I keep thinking that if I had ever been NEAR someone that ill, that I would be lying low somewhere near an ER and shunning all other human contact.  But I've never been accused of under-reaccting.

romantic idiot, I am glad you are okay, and hope the (god created, non issuance covered) damage can be fixed or helped out by the government.  Losing crops is not a good thing for ANYONE anywhere.  And I hate the idea of people being stranded and cut off from aid.

Erratic, I hope your job pays for your car.  600 kilometers over two days?  Wow.  

I need work in the worse way possible.  I know you guys send vibes, and I thank you for it.  But I'm beginning to wonder if I ran over some casting director's dog or something to get myself blackballed.  It's so bizarre and somewhat disheartening.  I hope things will turn around soon!

Erratic, I hope your job pays for your car. 600 kilometers over two days? Wow.

I was wondering about that too. I sure hope that you're not paying for fuel, Erratic. And what about wear and tear on your vehicle? Do you get any compensation for that?

Erratic, I hope your job pays for your car. 600 kilometers over two days? Wow.

I get 0.48c per kilometer for gas and vehicle wear and tear, so just over $500.00 (550 km each day) tax free is pretty sweet. It more than covers the gas, especially if I take the Ford Focus and not the truck- although I did take the truck this week for comfort.

Although, the job still sucks.

Edited by Erratic
  • Love 2
KPC- not only do I wish you work vibes in the biggest possible way, I am vibing for lines, period dramas and/or Shakespeare. I am vibing for film, theatre, and every possible audition leg breaky vibe possible. May the Scottish Play never curse you and may all your Christmasses be white!
  • Love 1

And again, I can't edit. Is this happening to anyone else? I get to the edit page, but can't actually get a cursor or do anything. Anyone else?

I haven't noticed any problems. I'm going to test. No problems here. I am able to edit fine. Did you change anything in your setup lately?

Try not to let things get you down, KPC. I'm sending more work vibes your way.

That's terrible news romantic idiot, but I'm glad to hear you are ok. Hopefully, help will reach the people that need it.

Edited by Endeavour
So, I left home at 6.30am. Drove for two and a half hours to fire three people. One person was there: one was on her regular fucking day off, one called in sick.

I fired/laid off the one guy. Left at 9.30am. Drive two and a half hours back to my office, completed payroll for 9 locations, and tomorrow I HAVE TO DO IT ALL AGAIN!!!!!

If only you were into flying, Erratic, you could be like George Clooney in Up In The Air. Plus you'd get to mess around with Vera Farmiga which would be cool.

Gotta love Tiny C. So awesome.

Vibes to KPC and here's to casting directors seeing her amazing talent, lovely voice, fantastic expressiveness, and beautiful good looks.

And you know there's going to be no insurance payout because "act of God".

That's truly awful. Those poor people.

Big strong work vibes for KPC.

I tried editing and it works for me.

Edited by trudi-tru

No editing issues for me today but I have had that same thing happen here in the past. 

Mondo work vibes to you KPC

That is terrible news, romantic idiot.  I hope the Red Cross and other aid organizations are able to help those affected.

Erratic I hope you are done with the driving and the firing for a good long while.

Endeavour, how is your mom doing?

Last night I watched The Mysteries of Laura because the Mr. was watching it.  I didn't expect to like it but WOW.  Is that ever bad.  Like, written by 12 year olds bad, with apologizes to any 12 year olds you all know. 

• Love 1