Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Library

• Start Topic

We have a cute little red car, a Nissan Leaf (electric, best thing ever). And I drive a reddish-orange Saturn Vue, which is our last vestige of "we need a car we can put a car seat in." It's a 2003 model, hee hee.

We are working on the unpacking. It's going okay, although it'd go faster if Mr F didn't have to go to work. Really inconvenient, that is. Hmph. ;) Mainly I want my dang phone/internet/cable; I am still using a personal hotspot on my phone, which is not the world's easiest way to internet. The trench that needed to be dug out is all ready to go, has been since last Thurs. But the installer won't be here until Weds. Oh cable companies, why do you make it harder for us to give you money?

But the little things that you don't figure out until you actually live in a place, those we're getting figured. The cat now lives only in the master bedroom, since she showed an implacable desire to scratch the everloving shit out of the new sofa. Sorry, kitty, you get to enjoy this new, somewhat constrained existence. I'd feel bad for her, except that she still has access to the back yard, and she was mainly living in the bedroom anyway. The only reason she wants access to the rest of the house is for The Destruction of Furniture. Ain't gonna happen.

That's what I've got going on. I hope everyone is good. :) KPC, your 1930s wardrobe was awesome.

• Love 1

You're starting to break down already.

I am! Getting closer but not quite there yet.

Glad to hear the unpacking is moving along @AnnieF - hope the cable and internet is running on Wednesday. Did the kitty misbehave in the old house or is it because of the move or shiny new things around to scratch?

Congrats on the shiny new red car, @romantic idiot.  I don't know anyone who doesn't remember their first car with fondness, even those of us for whom it was a beat up old clunker.  ('88 Oldsmobile with 85,000 miles on it at purchase!)

Connectivity and anti-cat-destruction vibes to you @AnnieF

@Endeavour it took me a long time to convice my sister to join FaceBook - she was so against people seeing pictures of her kids.  "Don't post pictures of your kids," eventually sunk in (and she eventually relaxed that rule).  It's not for everyone, but I enjoy being connected to distant relatives and old friends.

I'm having bee issues.  Yellowjackets to be precise.  We kept finding one, two, then three in the bathroom.  When we killed six this past weekend alone I inspected the outside, and sure enough there's a nest up there in the eaves by the window.  I tried taking it out with some Raid but it's too far off the ground for me to hit with both force and precision.  I'll try a small ladder if I need to but I don't really want to be that close to a bunch of angry dying bees either.  Plus now just going into the bathroom gives me the willies.  Nature: Grr.  Argh.

Earl, could a yellowjacket trap work? Safer maybe than you up a ladder with some Raid (the ugly ways that could go bad make me very nervous on your behalf. Angry yellowjackets! Noooo!)

Did the kitty misbehave in the old house

Oh yeah, she's an idiot. Most of our furniture has tape all over it, in a usually futile attempt to keep her claws out of it. Since this is the first new furniture we've bought in a really long time, we'd like to keep it looking decent. Even if it was on clearance, it's the nicest new stuff we've had since before we had kids (so, 15 years, give or take). The cat is adjusting, anyway; it may sink in for her that in some ways she has much greater freedom, because her access to the outside is better.

I don't know anyone who doesn't remember their first car with fondness, even those of us for whom it was a beat up old clunker. ('88 Oldsmobile with 85,000 miles on it at purchase!)

Mr F's first car was a mid-80s Oldsmobile Land Yacht (pretty sure that's the model name :P). His fondest memory of that car was that the back seat was big enough to fully stretch out on. Pretty sweet when the car is the only place you can get laid. ;)
  • Love 1

My first car was an '84 Buick Skyhawk (the precursor to the Skylark). It was 8 years old and had almost 100K miles on it when I bought it, but that car ran like a charm for almost four years. The "I" had fallen off the back so my roommate and I called it "Buck." We had one of the worst Chicago winters during that time, and I would smirk as I passed far more expensive cars stalled on the roads in the snow. Unfortunately, Buck's transmission eventually died and the cost of fixing it was more than what the whole car was worth. I was still sad when I sold Buck to a mechanic for parts.

• Love 1

My favorite car story is about the 1984 Honda Accord that first belonged to my mom, then me, then my BIL. That car lasted 100K miles when driven in NV and CA. After it turned over 100K, I gave the car to my BIL, he took it to MI where he was in grad school, and within 50K miles the bottom was all rusted out. Might've lasted 200K, that car, if it had stayed in a drier climate. The midwest just destroyed it. The climate there is evil, y'all. ;)

• Love 2

I love hearing stories about people's cars.  I "had" a car one summer when I was working in boston.  It had been my Dad's at some point and he was just keeping it in the garage gathering dust.   It was a hunk of maroon rusting junk.  My friend dubbed it "Rattle and Hum" because it was so old and falling apart.  It was so cheap/old that it only had AM radio, and had no way of plugging in an iPod.  My Dad sold it for $1 for parts at the end of the summer.

Earl jellowjackets are as scary was wasps.  I hope you get rid of the nest quickly and safely.  I don't suppose you can call an exterminator to wear some protective gear and remove it?  One should be able to take a shower without fear of flying insects.

I'm sorry about your scratchy cat, Annief.  I hope she chills out soon.  I don't suppose you've tried felaway?  It worked wonders for my friend's cat.  I hope your internet moat is ready and that they connect your internet soon. 

Tech for my show today- glad it is over.  Teching a show brings out the worst in me.  But the show is coming in under two hours -yay!- so that is good.  Then, to let off steam, I walked part of the way home- which is good for exercise but can also cause blisters if you're breaking in some new sandals.  Oops.

• Love 2
Earl, I took out a nest of hornets on the top of my garage. Have plenty of spray with good power, and you will be fine. I blasted the shit out of that nest, and there was too much wet spray for them to get me. I ran away and came back later to clean the bodies. The nest was so saturated it fell off the garage.
  • Love 1
I blasted the shit out of that nest, and there was too much wet spray for them to get me. I ran away and came back later to clean the bodies. The nest was so saturated it fell off the garage.

Anyone read Mona Lisa Overdrive by William Gibson? I can never hear about wasps' nests without thinking of a scene in that book. Loved that cyberpunk phase. Would love to find some more.

• Love 1

I put a yellowjacket trap almost identical to that one in the bathroom, but so far I'm disappointed by the zero number of buggers who've gotten in that it's attracted.  Last night I spoke to the woman who owns and runs the horse barn and she claims to have some industrial strength sprayer that can shoot up to 40 feet so that's what we'll try next.  If that doesn't work, an exterminator is definitely on call.

I had to chuckle at the thought of a car not having a place to plug in your ipod KPC.  My first (three?) had no such capability either.  In fact, I thought this was just about the coolest invention ever.  Because old.

• Love 2

My favorite car story is about the 1984 Honda Accord that first belonged to my mom, then me, then my BIL.

Yes! An 84 Honda Accord! Those cars were indestructible. My parents had a blue one that was "given" to me when I learned to drive, then got passed to my brother when I left for college. That thing survived 2 teenagers learning how to drive manual shift, and countless bumps into the curb and tree near our driveway, but it lasted forever.

And the car tape walkman plug in, those were the coolest back then.

(edited)

The midwest just destroyed it. The climate there is evil, y'all. ;)

Heh, no lie.  I had an 1987 Toyota Corolla that in hindsight I should have spent the money to fix the air conditioner.  Would probably still be driving it today.  We also have a manual 1991 Nissan 240SX that the boy manages to drive.  No one is allowed in the back seat for fear of falling through the rusted out hole of the floor.  Old cars rock.

Long days at work and poison ivy keeping me quiet but I'm cheering and vibing for y'all as needed.  Tonight I'm just looking forward to crashing with my dinner in front of the TV to watch So You Think You Can Dance.  No favorites this year although a talented bunch.  There is one young man who looks like Howdy Doody...until he dances, then dang is he good. 

Edited by buffyjunkie

It's not for everyone, but I enjoy being connected to distant relatives and old friends.

That's part of why I'd like to join. It's just the whole public thing I have to get used to. I guess there are ways to only allow who you want to view things. I don't know enough about it.

I hope the yellow jacket situation is under control soon Earl. I really don't like bugs. That would be driving me crazy. I had a little fly situation a few months back that was creeping me out. Blergh.

no way of plugging in an iPod

Heh. My first car was pre-iPod days. Maroon dodge hatchback. I think it's what became the Charger eventually. Loved that car. Had a nice speedy engine. Installed a cassette deck and speakers in the back and played all my 80s tunes. Ah, those were days.

Later I got one of those cassette adapters too. Used it for a long time. I don't really have a place to plug the phone in now with the exception of the lighter. I'm using an fm transmitter/charger to play through the stereo. I bought the car I'm driving now right before that type of thing became standard.

I hope the poison ivy isn't itchy @buffyjunkie - enjoy your night.

Ouch, sorry for the poison ivy, @buffyjunkie - I've never has it, but I hear it isn't the most pleasant summer experience.

I never bought one of those tape converter thingys. I always thought of the like x-Ray glasses. That they sounded too good to be true. Also, miss the fun of having the car eat all of my favourite cassettes? Not on your life!

(edited)
poison ivy keeping me quiet

I doff my cap for the ability to be quiet during poison ivy buffyjunkie.  Because when I have poison ivy, I am vocally complaining almost 24/7.  I HATE itchy-ness.  When I was younger, my doctor just prednisone at the ready because even if my Dad taped socks to my hands, I'd still work them off and itch in my sleep.  

So I hope it goes away ASAP.  I'm watching SYTYCD on my dvr.  I know next to nothing about dance, but I enjoy it (although the screechy lady is a bit hard to take, pitch wise).

Edited by KittenPokerCheater
  • Love 1

I have real internetz now, yay!

Poison ivy sounds horrible. Feel better soon, buffyjunkie.

I miss the creative part of making mixtapes. Finding the right mix of tunes was very important. And the skill of taping off the radio, heh. Oh man, that seems like a really long time ago.

• Love 6

Yay for internet!

And the skill of taping off the radio,

Right? With the little cassette recorder and pushing play and record at the right time and trying to cutt off before the dj said anything. Just waiting for the song to be played to record it. Good times. And, yeah, old.

• Love 3
Finding the right mix of tunes was very important. And the skill of taping off the radio, heh.

Also, filling the tape with just enough songs that there wasn't too much silence at the end. I had two go-to songs for that purpose: "Mercedes Benz" by Janis Jopin and "Penny for Your Thoughts" by Peter Framption, both under two minutes long.

• Love 3

In the UK, Radio One had the Top 40 countdown every Sunday night, and if you were a teenager in the 80's, you spent two hours sitting by your radio with your fingers glued to 'Play' and 'Record'. And then, one day, a friend changed your life by pointing out that if you hit 'Play', 'Record' *and* 'Pause' before the countdown started, then you could use 'Pause' all evening for a much smoother recording session.

Edited by Erratic
  • Love 4

Wait! So everyone is coming to Canada and *not* making the easy side trip to Edmonton to visit me? That stings guys. Stings. ;P

#SucksbeingaNortherner

#AtleastImnotinthearcticanymore

In the UK, Radio One had the Top 40 countdown every Sunday night, and if you were a teenager in the 80's, you spent two hours sitting by your radio with your fingers glued to 'Play' and 'Record'. And then, one day, a friend changed your life by pointing out that if you hit 'Play', 'Record' *and* 'Pause' before the countdown started, then you could use 'Pause' all evening for a much smoother recording session.

Ah, bringing back memories of my taping off the radio days with my giant tape recorder machine. Man, things were always gigantic back in the day. So nice most things are more compact nowadays.

Pop quiz time!

Who is the only person to win an Oscar for playing a real life Oscar winner?

Have a great trip @trudi-tru!

TGIF!

Edited by Valny

Pop quiz time!

Who is the only person to win an Oscar for playing a real life Oscar winner?

Denzel Washington or Halle Berry would be my guess.

Leaning towards Denzel, as Sydney Poitier was the first African American to win, and didn't Denzel play him in a movie? I don't think Dorothy Bansbridge (or whatever her name was) ever actually won, as I think that Halle Berry was the first female African American Oscar winner.

Am I close?

Edited by Erratic

When I was in college there was a DJ who would dedicate an hour to a different artist every night often going for deep cuts. I recorded a bunch of those. Oh and that DJ was Tom Bergeron of Dancing With the Stars, a show I have never watched even though I have a "I knew him when" feeling about him. I also once had a tape that had CSN &Y on one side and America on the other. To this day I get the groups confused.

The first car I drove was my mother's Ford Pinto. I once got 8 people into that death trap. 

Asshole ex still has not responded to anything. I guess I won't be getting child support this month. Good thing I have had OT available. Although I can't keeping working these hours without completely burning out.  

I think that Halle Berry was the first female African American Oscar winner.

First to win in the main category, but Hattie McDaniel won the supporting actress Oscar for Gone with the Wind. And then it only took several decades for the next African American woman to win (Whoopi Goldberg in Ghost). There are so few black Oscar winners, I don't think the answer to this trivia comes from that category. My first thought was "could it be Martin Landau?" but that would mean that Ed Wood was an Oscar winner, so...no. Heh.

Did Cate Blanchet win an oscar for playing Kate Hepburn in the movie with Leonardo DiCaprio?

Sorry about the twutterfluffle dusky.  Please please please take him to court to garnish his wages.

My friend found a US station that would play Radio One's Top 20.  She would duplicate her tape (remember tape to tape?) and send them to me.

Is anyone seeing Guardians of the Galaxy this weekend.  It's sold out practically everywhere in NYC, so I'm going to have to wait until later.  If it's really all that and a bag of expensive popcorn, can you let us know?

I quite enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy, but I didn't find it so special that I'd suggest rushing out to see it, particularly if you have an alternative to paying for absurdly overpriced tickets and popcorn. It's an action-comedy CGI-fest that kind of reminded me of Farscape in the set-up and characters. But there's nothing particularly revelatory or insightful about it; it's just a good bit of fun.

Gotta correct myself up there; I was thinking of Ed Wood because that's the title of the movie, but of course Martin Landau won an Oscar for playing Bela Lugosi (Ed Wood was played in that movie by Johnny Depp, duh, me).

Which still does not help, because Bela Lugosi? Also not an Oscar winner. Hmm.

I re-read he question, and obviously I am wrong. Damn. "For playing an oscar winner"... Hmm. So the role that won them the oscar was of an oscar winner? Shouldn't this be easier?

I'm just going to jump on the Cate Blanchart/Katherine Hepburn thing, because that is ringing a dull bell.

Edited by Erratic
Did Cate Blanchet win an oscar for playing Kate Hepburn in the movie with Leonardo DiCaprio?

I believe our actress friend is correct.

I wish we were going to be closer, Erratic! It would be awesome to meet you in person. 

• Love 2

I quite enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy, but I didn't find it so special that I'd suggest rushing out to see it, particularly if you have an alternative to paying for absurdly overpriced tickets and popcorn. It's an action-comedy CGI-fest that kind of reminded me of Farscape in the set-up and characters. But there's nothing particularly revelatory or insightful about it; it's just a good bit of fun.

I'm looking forward to it, but it doesn't open here till next week. I'm lining up someone to go with, or trying to. I missed going to Captain America because all my friends are married. Or have other friends grrr. And I thought I'd get to see it in Cal but it had gone by then. And to be honest, the only ones I want to see in the theatre are these fun spectaculars. If somethings going to be deep and sad and "serious" and stuff, I'd rather watch at home. 

I decided to go see Lucy yesterday because I figured GotG would be filled with raucous kids on camp movie day. So, maybe this Friday. Like romantic idiot, if I'm going to spend ridiculous amounts of money for movie tickets, I want to see big. I can order the smaller movies on demand at home. If I remember to check to see the listings six months later. As for Lucy, I enjoyed it, but there wasn't much there, there. The "science" would have to improve greatly to reach the "junk science" level. Still, it was only 90 minutes, and it's easy to do that when you have Morgan Freeman and Scarlett Johansson.

Oh, god guys. I haven't been around because well, you're about to find out. I am losing my shit in ten-thousand different ways. For the longest time I didn't want to dump on y'all. (And I kinda still don't, but I think if I don't I'll burst.)  Please skip if you want, and please understand the therapy here is in me letting it out, I don't need affirmation or advice, although I will never not welcome that.

As you may or may not remember, I suffer from chronic depression that is usually well managed with drugs and talk therapy and life-style alterations. One of my triggers is stress (ha!!!), and I kinda try to live my life eliminating that which can be eliminated, and reduce that which can be, and try to deal with the rest. To this end, I have changed careers (many times), chosen my place of residence to where I have support, and other things like that. All that said and done, I am still a working mom of two kids (whom I love dearly, and who are not problematic except in the sense that all children are stress-worthy because we love them).

Now, for the shit hitting the fan. My in-laws have in the last year taken a dramatic and sudden turn for the worse. By worse I mean that she has lost almost all mental faculties and half of her bodily ones in ONE YEAR. A year ago she was volunteering in a modern office setting 3 days a week. Today she is incontinent half the time, doesn't know the day of the week, month of the year, or anything of that sort. Her short term memory is shot, and she is inventing new backstories (often, dementia leaves past memories alone, but hers is not). She is defensive, combative and has her own certainty that she is not losing her marbles, except she is. He is a chronic smoker with emphysema and belligerence and overall weakness, but nothing more than one would expect from an almost nonagenarian who would prefer to be left alone. They are a joy. 

So, we have decided to move them from NY to....OUR HOUSE. But first, we are moving ourselves to our next-door-neighbor's house, which like ours, was built in the 1960s and hasn't been renovated at all since 1986. So, we need to spend time and money on fixing that up BEFORE the old folks move down (and we have to age-proof our house for old people). For a time we will have to hold three properties, and pay for the renovations and the moving and the normal day-to-day stuff, and I don't know how it will happen, literally, I don't know where the money will come from.

And, did I mention? I have never been particularly close with my in-laws, and now that they are both cranky, crazy and craptastic. Oh, and earlier this week, they fell (on each other) and both ended up in the hospital, and she now has a fracture of her pelvis (which while weight bearing is nonetheless problematic because of EVERYTHING ELSE). So, now my darling hubby wants them to convalesce in our home (which has stairs, children, dog, oh-and I work from home, too). And, our babysitter is away for two weeks, and I told Mr. Barphe that either he hires help (with the money we do not have) or I leave, because I CAN'T DO IT. I wish I could, but I can't. As it is, I am crying in private on a daily basis, self-medicating (don't even get me started--beer is cheap), and doing just enough so that I don't lose my job, my kids and what's left of my sanity.

Anyway, that's my shit of a story. It's shitty because I, and my children and my husband, are in good health. We are far from destitute. We love each other. But, this life stress is more than I can handle, and I am aware and intelligent enough to know that so many billions of people are starving, ill, poor, cold, hot, undernourished, living in war zones, in fear for their lives, and worse. I am a bitchy, over-priveleged white woman with first world problems. Which is to say, I kind of hate myself for being so weak and self-pitying and pathetic. Which is why I don't want affirmation, I don't deserve it. Advice is great, but I won't take it, so save your metaphorical breath (and your real fingers). Thanks for letting me get this out. That is a gift in and of itself.

• Love 2

No advice. Just hugs and vibes. And don't hate yourself for having limits. It doesn't matter that other people have stuff a lot worse; you're dealing with an intrinsically stressful situation that's beyond "first world problems" and beyond your current ability to cope, and you didn't ask for any of it.

Vent here or in the other place whenever you need to.

• Love 4
Barphe, never ever apologies for venting in here. Your situation does suck immensely, even for someone with no mental health issues, and you need to make sure that you put your health first. Much vibes to you. Stay healthy, my friend.
  • Love 1

Love and hugs Barphe. You do not need to apologize for venting, and I would be losing my shit too. I am feeling angry on your behalf, so I will just shut it now.

I am sending you the very best vibes I have to offer.

• Love 1

There's nothing weak or pathetic about being stressed to your limits over this situation, Barphe! Caretaking is HARD, as are moving and renovating, and you're doing them all at once!

Is moving them into a nursing home or rehab facility nearby an option? More costly than a second house? I have no idea how much those places run, but if that's a possibility, then professionals could handle the day-to-day care but you all could visit whenever.

• Love 1

OMG Barphe, that's a lot of burden on you and your household. Even I feel the stress for you!  I am so sorry you have to deal with all of that with the in-laws.  As Erratic mentioned, don't forget to take care of yourself also, you don't need to be sick too. And of course you know you can vent here anytime!  Vibes and hugs to you.

Something to do with Katherine Hepburn?

You are on the right track @cko.

And we have a winner! @KPC got it, good job! Blanchett played Hepburn in the Aviator. Which I still never seen.

One of my friends guessed it was Faye Dunaway for playing Joan Crawford in Mommy Dearest. That was a close answer since Dunaway did win as Oscar,BUT not for playing Crawford.

if I'm going to spend ridiculous amounts of money for movie tickets, I want to see big.

What crazy prices are they charging over there in the Brooklyn theaters Loandbehold?

Edited by Valny

Barphe, all my support. I also am wondering if assisted living might be a much better option. I understand how emotionally fraught a decision this can be but I think it should at least be on the table. I know you are receiving therapy but perhaps it might be a good idea if you and your husband did some short term marriage counseling because this is the sort of thing that can stress even the strongest of marriages. 

I see people all the time brought almost to the breaking point by having to care for their elderly parents. It in no way makes you weak that you are finding this situation extremely difficult. Again know that we all have your back.

• Love 1

I am a bitchy, over-priveleged white woman with first world problems. Which is to say, I kind of hate myself for being so weak and self-pitying and pathetic. Which is why I don't want affirmation, I don't deserve it. 

Well, this is not a first world problem, it's third world problem, so stop think this is something small you are anxious about. Taking care of elderly in-laws is something third worlders face every day, because of culture, lack of other options and social security. And it stresses everyone out, and it is hard for everyone. Don't feel bad about worrying about this, you are not alone. The good news is, the time will pass, it is stressful now, but it will get into its own routine and then you'll get used to it. 

And can I say how much I admire you? It is a wonderful thing you are thinking of doing, it's an option I'm sure many would like to take on if possible, so I laud you for that. Big hugs. *hands Barphe a beer. And some chocolate*

• Love 2

Everything I can think of has already been said, Barphe. I have a little idea of some of what you are going through, so, if you decide that you do want any advice, please don't hesitate to ask. I might have some information that I can pass along, or be able to find some information for you. For now, all vibes and virtual hugs that I can offer are yours.

valny, currently a non-matinee, non 3-D film ticket runs $14.50 in my neighborhood.  Matinee is around $10 or $11. 3-D cost is $18, and, if I want to go into the city for an I-Max show, it's $25.