Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Library

• Start Topic

The F-let and I finished "What's My Line" pt 2 this afternoon. He's really enjoying the show. His favorite character at this point is Willow. He really likes Spike as an antagonist, thinks he's both funny and menacing. And he likes the balance of jokes and seriousness. He did say, at the end of "Lie to Me," "Man, that was sad" -- not as a negative, just, that was sad. Yep. That one is sad.

I'm loving the sharing. :)

• Love 8

Until season 7. Or parts of season 5 and 6, and season 4. :-) I'm curious to see if the F-let sees some of the same things that AnnieF saw when she watched. Those are some savvy kids. 

Married friends of ours -- from the same group of friends as the friend who died in our house in September -- found out through an ultrasound that their 4 month-old pregnancy (do I refer to this as their "baby"? I have no idea.) has too many defects to continue the pregnancy, so they'll induce and end the pregnancy tomorrow. That has to be so hard. This was the first pregnancy I've ever been excited about: it was planned, and these are awesome people who will make great parents. And the world turns.

How awful. Something similar happened to a friend of mine a few years ago. She's very religious, and it got to a point where the baby's defects were going to start putting her health at risk. Fortunately, their priest did everything he could to keep them from feeling guilty about having to terminate the pregnancy

I hope your friends have tons of support from friends like you, because there are most certainly going to be jackasses who try to tell them it's not all that bad because it wasn't a "real" baby.

Thanks. I suspect they are surrounded by people like us, except for her wackadoodle family. The husband told our group the basics in a group email, and didn't couch it in general terms. He must have known we'd all get it. They were very excited about having a baby, so anyone who is in their circle who tries to minimize it will get cut off pretty quickly. 

• Love 1

I'm sorry about your friend, buffyjunkie. Hugs.

Boliver, I'm sorry about your friends loss. I'm sure they're going to get the support they need from everyone in your group.

their priest did everything he could to keep them from feeling guilty about having to terminate the pregnancy

Nice to know there are good priests around.
  • Love 2

You people do not have to know how it feels first hand to express sympathy and support.

Some people who asked what was wrong, just shrugged their shoulders and went 'oh well'. Fuck you! You do not get to decide what should or should not cause others pain. It's called empathy. Look it up.

• Love 5

Oh I'm so sorry for your beloved pet losses trudi and Harvester. I'm glad you had them in your lives and brought you such joy though.

buffyjunkie- condolences on your friend too and Boliver's friend's baby.
Ugh, that's enough loss already!

On a happier note, AnnieF...that is so fun you're watching BtVS with your son and through his eyes. About how many eps are you watching a week? Which eps are you looking forward with him the most?  The Angelus stuff is coming up.... you think he'll love that?

trudi, I wish I could say that it is unbelievable that people would act with so little caring, but unfortunately I can believe it all too well. :( Here, we have your back; we will never discount your pain and your grief. Having just lost my cat too, I'm feeling very raw about the issue of losing pets, and if someone were to react to me by shrugging, like "oh, that's all?" I don't know how I would respond. Well, I know there would be a lot of anger, that's for sure.
  • Love 3

Seriously--even if you're not an "animal person," can't you recognize that something was important to someone and show a little sympathy? How hard is is to say, "Oh, I'm sorry for your loss."

Here's a little good news, at least around my house: Chynette's middle school has an outstanding robotics program. Not many middle schools do competitive robotics, so they actually go to high school-level competitions and often end up placing. It's very rigorous but really fun for kids who are into that sort of thing. Chynette tried out, but they got twice as many applicants as available spots, so she didn't make it (most 6th graders didn't). She was terribly disappointed, because not only did she enjoy the robotics activities at tryouts, but she really felt a kinship with the other nerdlings who were there. But after a couple weeks, an 8th grader decided the program was too rigorous for him and bailed, and the teachers offered Chynette the spot. She just started this week and she is OVER THE MOON. 

• Love 8

Way to go Chynette!

The buffyjunkie of old esteemed intelligence above many things. These days I value kindness above most.

I believe the two usually go hand in hand.

Thanks Annie. I know I can always count on you guys.

• Love 2

Oh, so many hugs for the losses and sadnesses, trudi, harvester, bol, and buffyjunkie.  Life is so full of loss just because it is life, why do we humans go out of our way to hurt each other?

Thrilled to see about AnnieF and Chyna's kids being so fun and cool. Ah, the (for me fairly recent) memories of seeing Buffy for the first time.

And now, confession: can you wonderful people believe that I actually forgot about this place? It dropped off my bookmark toolbar and I just forgot for a few weeks. How dumb. Oh well.

I AM IN FOR SECRET SANTA!

Well I am hanging on to these words by David Rhodes, "How do we get over stuff? How do we heal? We heal by slowly accumulating more experiences and developing more intimate relationships with other people that gradually fill in some of the areas. They never take the place of the other ones and you never forget what it was that you're grieving. But you bring it in to a different kind of interpretation, a relationship to other things that aren't so bad."

Hugs all.

• Love 4

Whoever put this together should get an award of some kind.

Has anybody here watched Whiplash? What did you think? It didn't really live up to the hype for me. Also, while I'm sure that was not the intended message, I felt like in the end the abuser was sort of proven right in a way. 

• Love 2