Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 (Politics): Call It a Crisis of Leadership.

Rinaldo

The season that brought Bunny Colvin to the fore, and gave us expanded looks at Commissioner Burrell, Senator Davis, and Brother Mouzone. We met for the first time Tommy Carcetti, Clarence Royce, Marlo Stanfield, Chris Partlow, Snoop Pearson, and Cutty Wise. Among many others.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 1

Just finished Season 3. Another great one.

My love for McNulty grows, although I am a bit perplexed about seeing him back in uniform. Does that mean he (voluntarily) took a demotion? I did love seeing him stop and chat with the residents, as was discussed at the community meeting. And DW looks great in a uniform! Still, going from detective back to patrolman must have monetary consequences as well as hits to his status. Look at poor Bunny and what the demotion did to him and his retirement prospects.

I loved seeing Amy Ryan again.

If there's a villain in Season 3 (or maybe the villain across all three seasons), I'd say it's a tie between Rawls and Burrell. Rawls just seems sadistic to me. How much joy did he get in destroying Bunny? Burrell seems more calculated, but Rawls just seems cruel.

I can't imagine this show without Stringer, but we've lost other important characters, and the show goes on . . .

I mentioned in another post that this show was ahead of its time. So was poor Bunny. Can you imagine Bunny now, reading about states that have legalized or at least decriminalized marijuana. I know that's a far cry from the drugs that were being sold in Hamsterdam, but still . . . The world is changing and Bunny was a visionary.

I'm not sure how to feel about Carcetti. The politicians in this show never come off well, and Carcetti is as opportunistic as they come. Still, there might be some humanity there.

I'm rambling a bit. Just wanted to say I thought this was another great season. I'm a bit nervous about Season 4, because anything involving the schools is bound to be heartbreaking. But this show owns me, and I'll be with it till the end.

• Love 3

Just finished Season 3. Another great one.

My love for McNulty grows, although I am a bit perplexed about seeing him back in uniform. Does that mean he (voluntarily) took a demotion? I did love seeing him stop and chat with the residents, as was discussed at the community meeting. And DW looks great in a uniform! Still, going from detective back to patrolman must have monetary consequences as well as hits to his status. Look at poor Bunny and what the demotion did to him and his retirement prospects.

Major Colvin wanted to pull him from patrol for other duties but McNulty refused. It was suggested that the commissioner had made peace with McNulty as long as it wasn't the criminal investigation with the downtown detectives. Baltimore is not like most departments, as explained here and on Homicide Life On The Street, the money issues are really gotten into in season 5. In any case detectives and patrolmen are the same rank. Homicide because they work overtime when a body is found becomes the premier unit for those in need of money. Everyone else works 40 hours a week at the same rate, probably with seniority getting additional pay.Herc not making Sergeant along with Carver would show in thier respective lifestyles going forward.

• Love 2

Bunny Colvin was a visionary. And he came within a coin-flip (or a show with a less pessimistic, real-life script) of making it work.

Damn their stats! Hamsterdam was an ugly thing of beauty.

• Love 2

I am about two-thirds of the way through this season - in fact, the last episode that I watched ended with Stringer telling Avon that he had Dee killed.  I never watched the show when it was on originally (because I was a broke law school student), but friends encouraged me to watch it so I am finally getting around to it.  They were right.

• Love 3

This was possibly my favorite season yet. It tied everything up so well. The fact that Stringer died was a tragedy because Idris is a beautiful man, but for the flow of the story, it was completely perfect. I'm excited to see the next season (since I'm a teacher in Baltimore), but I feel like if the show had ended here, it would have been perfect as well. 

Colvin truly was the tragic hero of this season. I thought Hamsterdam was brilliant, but definitely agree that it was before its time.

I hope to see a lot more of Dennis in the next season. I find him fascinating.

• Love 2

Am half way through S3 again, and although its very much back to familiar ground with the "corners" the crews and the drug hustling, I am finding the politics far more interesting, and the fact that these politicians are no better than the gangsters on the streets short of using guns: they're backstabbing, two-faced arrogant, lying bastards, who will shaft anyone who gets in their way for more power and influence.

And as aside, I have to say Sonja "Kima" Sohn, can't act for shit! Three seasons in, and she really comes off as completely clueless and totally unconvincing with her shrugs, exclamations and trying to look like a cool dude 

• Love 1
On 8/22/2017 at 3:25 PM, Zola said:

And as aside, I have to say Sonja "Kima" Sohn, can't act for shit! Three seasons in, and she really comes off as completely clueless and totally unconvincing with her shrugs, exclamations and trying to look like a cool dude 

Agreed.

• Love 1