Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E17: Live Playoffs Results

• Start Topic

I got suckered into the Voice this year. And then I got way to invested haha hence my need to come out of lurking to post

I was pretty annoyed with Adam's decision. I just didn't get it. Admittedly Chris had a difficult song, but that doesn't change the fact that he still was not great. Taylor had several "break out moments" and his song did not have the familiarity aspect. I am not sure if Adam was looking to pave an easier way for Matt or if he just bonded more with Chris, but I think Taylor definitely "deserved" to be there. 

I think part of my issue with Adam is that he, more than any other coach, promises the world to his contestants. As a result he gets a lot of the 4-chair turns and then good singers go home earlier and we get less talented artists. I guess that's also a criticism of the structure of the show. It also assumes people go with Adam because of his promises... it may just be that he is charming in real life and that doesn't translate through the tv (imo).

I was glad Blake chose Jesse over James David.  James David seemed pretty arrogant. Maybe it was just me though.

I was surprised with Gwen's choice but I didn't Bryana or Ricky did particularly well either. Same for Pharrell's choice.

But yes, it's been a week, and I am still annoyed over Taylor. I liked his sound and his baby was freaking cute.

I'm not thrilled with Jesse but I agree I was glad he picked her over JD whom I also came to feel was arrogant. I loved his jamming with LBT the week before, but I hated that week when he and CWB did their duet and he grabbed the back of his neck/shoulder and kind of pulled/pushed him toward James David moving his head down toward the mike. I didn't think it was helpful. I thought it was either a "fake bro" move or a kind of "I'm a dominant alpha male!" move and could have lost CWB some votes if he had reacted as I would have (pushing his hand away and looking like WTH? lol). They didn't seem close. That body language just bugged me and...after he'd turned out to be boring anyway, I wasn't sorry to see him go.

Ouch, this sort of sounds like an insult but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt!  :)  I used the word nutty on purpose because I realize my feelings are not really rational. But you gotta admit that the Adam-hate here can sometimes get pretty irrational too!

So, time to debate this week's song choices yet?

No, no insult at all!  I know it must be hard for an Adam fan around here :)  As a matter of fact, I was a huge Maroon 5 fan, still am to a point.  I'm not digging the new direction the band has taken since Hands all Over, but I still love Adam's voice.  Hell I saw them live and became a fan when they were Kara's Flowers, that' show old I am...lol  I bought their CD out of one of their trunks in Hollywood...lol

No, no insult at all!  I know it must be hard for an Adam fan around here :)  As a matter of fact, I was a huge Maroon 5 fan, still am to a point.  I'm not digging the new direction the band has taken since Hands all Over, but I still love Adam's voice.  Hell I saw them live and became a fan when they were Kara's Flowers, that' show old I am...lol  I bought their CD out of one of their trunks in Hollywood...lol

Heh, it's weird.  I don't even like Adam off the show.  Don't care for his music, or at least Maroon 5's stuff over the past few years. I think he kind of sold out commercially and I can't believe that he now has clothing/perfume lines in the stores.  It's like he went down the Martha Stewart route.  But I do like Adam's personality and coaching style a lot on the show,  He, along with Cee Lo, are my favorite coaches.  

There's honestly not a coach on this show that I don't like. (Except CeeLo, now...for off show reasons..). I'm probably one of the very few that don't want Adam or Blake to take a break. (The show wouldn't be the same for me.) And I pretty much like all of the music from every coach as well (Other than Blake. Because I'm not a fan of bro country.). 

But I'll criticize any of their decisions that I think are stupid. I mean, Shakira and Pharrell are easily my favorite personalities on the show, but in terms of overall coaching ability, they are certainly in the bottom, IMO. 

And I don't blame Adam a bit for saying what he needs to say to get the best talent. That's part of the game. Seven seasons in, contestants know that Adam is going to have the strongest team..and yet they pick him anyway. It's especially annoying when contestants choose him later in the season. Taylor P. knew Adam was going to have the strongest team. He would have been in the top 12 had he chose Gwen or Blake. Not Adam's fault because you can't blame him for wanting the best people..but Taylor should have picked wiser. Not only that, but I think Adam gets genuinely excited when he hears really great people. It's not his fault all the best people pick him. 

taylor p wouldn't have made it to the top 12. Adam pushed Blake to push his button, he obviously didn't want him and he would have been a threat to TJW. Gwen didn't advance a steal to the top 12 either

taylor p wouldn't have made it to the top 12. Adam pushed Blake to push his button, he obviously didn't want him and he would have been a threat to TJW. Gwen didn't advance a steal to the top 12 either

There's honestly not a coach on this show that I don't like. (Except CeeLo, now...for off show reasons..). I'm probably one of the very few that don't want Adam or Blake to take a break. (The show wouldn't be the same for me.) And I pretty much like all of the music from every coach as well (Other than Blake. Because I'm not a fan of bro country.). 

But I'll criticize any of their decisions that I think are stupid. I mean, Shakira and Pharrell are easily my favorite personalities on the show, but in terms of overall coaching ability, they are certainly in the bottom, IMO. 

And I don't blame Adam a bit for saying what he needs to say to get the best talent. That's part of the game. Seven seasons in, contestants know that Adam is going to have the strongest team..and yet they pick him anyway. It's especially annoying when contestants choose him later in the season. Taylor P. knew Adam was going to have the strongest team. He would have been in the top 12 had he chose Gwen or Blake. Not Adam's fault because you can't blame him for wanting the best people..but Taylor should have picked wiser. Not only that, but I think Adam gets genuinely excited when he hears really great people. It's not his fault all the best people pick him. 

I don't fault Adam but I do roll my eyes at contestants who fall for his line over and over. Don't they watch this show? He'll promise you the moon when he wants a 4 chair turn to pick him, "We've got this! I can say 100% you'll win this if you choose me!" then often sandbag them with his out-of-their-genre song choice or because his team has someone he likes more (sometimes quite a few he likes better). 

If people chose him because they think he's kind of a wild card musically and might push them out of their comfort zone even if they don't last long, that would make sense. Instead, a lot of them look starstruck, take his promises seriously and fall, again and again, for his apparent sincerity in telling you you're the best thing he's ever heard/seen/expected.  Since the knockouts should be expected to be most competitive on Adam's team--and often song choice is everything there--that's another reason, imo, not to choose him. But, what do I know? Seems obvious to me, but they do it again and again. (*And why any African American would choose him -really- defies imagination. He's got Damian--so good--and I'll bet he'll give him another old "black guy" chestnut this week in the hope Chris will edge him out. Too bad because I'd love to see Damian performing something he chose instead.)

I think that if contestants continue to choose Adam in the blinds, there must be good reasons. I doubt they're any less informed than viewers on the coaches' history on the show. They all likely did their research. Which means many probably prefer Adam's personality or coaching style.

Regarding African-American contestants, Adam has had different approaches in the past. Like Amanda Brown where they went in a rock direction. Like Judith Hill who actually picked a few of her songs. Same for Delvin Choice. It has varied depending on the individual. Sure, there have been some cliched song choices but that could be said of any coach. Oh, and there was Season 1 (which I didn't watch) where Adam won with Javier Colon.

For Damien specifically, Adam seems to be doing a pretty good job so far. Charting the second highest in the live playoffs and then #12 this week is not too shabby.

Hey, all, this is a great discussion, but doesn't really have much, if anything, to do with this episode. ;-)

Can you please take the conversation to the coach strategy topic? I'm going to move a bunch of these posts over there as soon as I'm back to my laptop.