Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E17: Live Playoffs Results

• Start Topic

Gwen is really creeping me out with whatever she did to her face.  Her upper cheeks are immobile now.

-----

I haven't been paying attention to iTunes, because there really haven't been performances that I wanted to buy the music from, this year.

Edited by DownTheShore
  • Love 1

I'm actually surprised by the results tonight.  I was pretty sure that Reagan and either Craig Wayne Boyd or James David Carter were going to be safe,with Blake picking whichever one didn't make the top 3, so I was shocked when he picked Jessie.

Also surprising, was DaNica being safe on Pharell's team.  I like her, but I didn't think people would vote her in.  Equally shocking, Pharell not picking Elyjuh, especially since I've grown to like him and appreciate his talent.  Damn.

I knew that Anita and hat boy were going through, but I didn't expect her to pick Ryan.

So happy that Damien was saved, Matt, eh, ok, and then my tv cut out, was it Chris he picked?  Wow, that guy doesn't even ring a bell for me and I've watched this whole season.  Obviously, I looked up all of these names on the web page.  :)

Pretty much agreed with America and the judges.

I was surprised that Gwen chose boybander over Brianna.

Happy that Danika made it. Have to admit that I always turn the station when I hear Mitchell's "help me" but glad Pharrell made note that it's a Very tough song to sing.

Taylor 3 names granny is too adorable.

Eh. JDC was really the only one I was rooting for, so I guess I'm out. I appreciate that there are other good singers, but I'm just not into the indie or pop thing.

I really thought Blake would put him through. That song choice just killed him. I wonder whose idea that was. (And I wonder if JDC wishes he had followed his instincts and gone with Pharrell.)

I'm a rock/country/country-rock girl, but I just can't with CWB. There's a difference between classic and dated.

• Love 2

Wow. Some terrible choices by the coaches, some great choices by the audience.

Team Blake: I thought the audience picked well. Reagan has originality and star quality and Craig just brings it, every time. His passion put James David to shame, and JD (who arguably has more raw talent) only has himself to blame. He was coasting. When your best appearance is the blind audition, it's time to go. I think Blake was very strategic in picking Jessie; she sells (she did really well on itunes), she's trendy and she isn't a country singer. Craig is the sole country singer on Team Blake and another one (let alone another hot dude like James David) could have hurt his chances. Reagan and Jessie are also pretty different, so they might both do well. Overall, I agree with the 3 advancing.

Team Pharrell: Luke obviously went through and he deserved it 100%, but damn if I didn't cheer when DaNica advanced as well. She's a great singer. But I stopped cheering as soon as I realised that meant Elyjuh would be eliminated, since there was no way Pharrell would drop Sugar. Even though he should. Boo. Overall, the audience chose well but Pharrell did not.

Team Gwen: The Taylor boy with the hat was the obvious frontrunner and I was also glad to see Anita advance. But, seriously, Gwen saved Ryan? That never even occured to me. Never. I don't get it. Terrible choice, in my opinion. Team Gwen is not looking very good to me. I've never been a huge fan of Taylor (who is the Last Taylor Standing, no?) and I think as the season progresses he might lose steam because there are so many contestants with showmanship, not just dainty artsy vocals.

Team Adam: I loved that Damien was saved, because I feared that Adam would drop him for sure if he got the chance. Matt was a sure thing and, again, he deserved it. I was pleasantly surprised Adam saved Chris, I thought he might save the girl. Chris does have appeal and a nice voice. Let's hope Adam gives him better songs. Overall, I agree with the eliminations.

I will miss Elyjuh and I'd have liked to see more of Ricky. Also, James David Carter should be kicking himself right now. He blew it. He could have gone so far. He had the looks, the personality, the country vote. Craig had all those things but perhaps a smidgeon less, but he made up for it with energy.

I am currently rooting for Craig, Luke, Reagan, Matt and Anita. I like all the contestants, frankly, except Sugar and Ryan (who is fine but, like, why?).

Edited by Princess Lucky
  • Love 3

Chris?! What the-? I do actually like him, but that song choice and his performance were a disaster. In fact, I thought Adam picked that song to throw him under the bus, so color me completely surprised.

Bummed but not at all shocked that Gwen saved Ryan and Pharrell saved Sugar. I was really hoping Gwen would save Bryana (a lackluster performance last night, but so much potential here as seen in "Heart Attack"), or even Ricky, but it's clear that she has a major soft spot for Ryan. Ditto for Pharrell with Sugar. I was rooting for Elyjuh to be saved, which kind of shocked me, but I do like how technically lovely his voice is. These were two examples of their feelings blinding their judgment.

My favorites continue to be Matt, Luke, and TJW is growing on me.

On another note, Team Gwen sounded great in their group song. I thought their voices blended so harmoniously together. Also, Gwen looked great.

• Love 1

Yeah, I'd vote for him (Taylor x3) just for the sake of making his grandmother happy. =)

I was surprised that Pharrell didn't go with Elyjah either, especially since he did such a good job on the live show.  Though maybe he already made arrangements to keep mentoring him away from the show, if America didn't choose him.  That would sort of explain why Elyjah didn't appear as crushed as I thought he would by the rejection.

• Love 1

Not surprised that Pharrell picked Sugar (who does have a nice voice, at least in rehearsals--but then, on stage, what happens to these women?).  As others have pointed out, he seems to be crushin' on her.  I think a crush overrides other considerations, assuming that Pharrell didn't think *any* of those three had a shot at actually winning. 

Similar thing with Gwen--she has a bit of a crush on Ryan (who kind of reminds me of a Disney character--maybe Buzz Lightyear? Woody?).  So there you go.

Glad Danica was voted through. She deserved it. (She also deserves a NEW stylist.)

• Love 3

Blake - I expected Craig and Reagan to win the votes.  Blake picking Jessie does not surprise me.  Blake has always followed how they do on iTunes.  She charted higher than James David.  Plus we know Blake always likes the girls with the unique voices.  Blake's decision really helped Craig.  He is now the only country singer left and will get the bulk of those votes. 

Pharrell - I expected Luke to get the votes.  Danica getting the votes surprised me.  But it forced Pharrell to make the pick between Sugar and Elyjuh.  Pharrell has acted like he has a bit of a crush on Sugar.  He obviously does because he even dumped Elyjuh to save her.

Gwen - We all knew Taylor 3 names would get the votes.  And I expected Anita to also be voted through.  I gathered that Bryanna was not that popular on twitter.  That left Ryan and Ricky.  Gwen has always had a soft spot for Ryan.  Ricky was someone she stole.  I think her loyalty was with Ryan.

Adam - I expected Matt and Damien to get the votes because of iTunes.  I was surprised though at Adam's choice.  I figured he would pick Taylor.  At least we are now down to one Taylor.

They really need to control their time better.  The credits were rolling when Adam finally gave his answer.

• Love 3

So who was it that reached #1 on the iTunes chart?

I think Taylor John Williams reached #1 on the Rock charts, which is really cool. Kudos to him, I hope he goes far in this competition. He's one of my favorites. :)

I'm still betting on Luke Wade to take this thing home, but it's anyone's game really. Song choice is key, and I hope Pharrell is a littttttle more careful with the songs he gives his contestants. 

Edited by loveoutloud

Team Blake:  I expected Regan to go through, and was pleasantly surprised that Craig did.  Blake picking Jessie was very strategic.  She has that airy / quirky) voice a lot of people (although not  me) like.  Also, if he had picked James David, having two country guys could split the vote and knock them both out

Team Gwen: Not really surprised by who the voters save, but I was completely shocked she picked Ryan.  I figured she would go with Bryana or maybe Ricky.  I think she has the weakst team now.

Team Pharrell: Really happy to see Danica go through. Luke was expected. I kept saying to the TV anyone but Sugar.  I knew he would pick her though, since he seems infatuated with her.  Eljuh would have been a smarter choice

Team Adam: Again the voter saves was close to what I expected.  I though he would save Mia, and was both glad and shocked he went with Chris.  Chris has a really good voice, but had a terrible song, which I thought would know him out. 

Team Blake: Reagan and Craig Wayne Boyd voted in, Jessie saved; Female Taylor and James David eliminated.

Glad Reagan made it.  I didn't like CWB's performance of Some Kind of Wonderful on Monday.  I thought it felt forced and I wasn't impressed by the vocals.  However, he looks like he wants this so much.  I wish him success simply for his mental health, but he is not my Voice pick.  

Based on this week's performances, female Taylor and James David deserved to be eliminated.  James David, in particular, had more talent than CWB/Jessie/Taylor combined in my opinion.  He had a combination of voice, looks, and early charisma that could have really made it big in country, so I think he messed up big time.  I think Jessie was a fair save.

Team Adam: Damien and Matt voted in, Chris saved, Male Taylor 2 names and Mia voted out.  All I can say is, thank goodness Damien was saved.  He was pretty spectacular on Monday night.  I've always liked him.  I'm glad with this result, although I don't think much of anyone except Damien.

Team Gwen: Male Taylor 3 names and Anita voted in, Ryan saved, Bryana and Ricky voted out.  Taylor's Stuck in the Middle was the best performance of the season so far.  I'm a fan.  Anita's "All About That Bass" was her best performance, too.  BIg thumbs up for the voting public for making the right choices here.  I liked Bryana, so I'm disappointed she wasn't saved.  I don't care one way or another about Ryan or Ricky.

Team Pharrell: Danica and Luke voted in, Sugar saved, Jean and Elyjuh voted out.  Really?  All of this surprises me.  Danica's voice is stunning and I thought her version of Help Me was really great until the end, when she did too many gymnastics for my taste.  However, I'm happy to hear her evolve.  I thought for sure Sugar would have been voted in.  I feel very protective of Aretha's version of songs and groaned when Sugar's song was announced.  Then, I was blown away.  I loved what she did and think her growth with Pharrell was spectacular.  Of the other three, the only one I would have liked eliminated was Luke.  So, what a crappy choice to get rid of both Jean and Elyjuh.  I thought we had much more to see from them than we will from Luke.  I did not enjoy the  "Luke-ifying" of Let's Get it On at all.  Boo.

I'm really impressed with Gwen's song choices and her coaching.  I liked Pharrell's song choices for Danica and Sugar as well.  Blake and Adam have serious competition this season.

Boo at Gwen for booting Bryana in favor of someone I barely remember.

I now have no one to root for; I guess I'll just root for Blake to win because I don't like Gwen's decisions, Adam's personality, or Pharrell's coaching.

• Love 1

Gwen is really creeping me out with whatever she did to her face.  Her upper cheeks are immobile now.

-----

I haven't been paying attention to iTunes, because there really haven't been performances that I wanted to buy the music from, this year.

Yeah, Gwen did get some serious plastic surgery over the break. Too bad because she was prettier before.

I think Taylor John Williams reached #1 on the Rock charts, which is really cool. Kudos to him, I hope he goes far in this competition. He's one of my favorites. :)

I'm still betting on Luke Wade to take this thing home, but it's anyone's game really. Song choice is key, and I hope Pharrell is a littttttle more careful with the songs he gives his contestants.

It's not all that hard to reach the top of the rock charts. Very little rock music is sold on iTunes as singles. Luke and most of Monday night outsold him on iTunes.

I knew Gwen would save Ryan and Pharrell would save Sugar. Both have such crushes on those contestants. I was surprised that Taylor didn't get saved on Team Adam and thrilled that Blake saved Jessie.

This is one of the weakest top 12s we ever had and it is mainly due to Pharrell making boneheaded decisions in the previous two rounds. His team was so stacked and he got rid of so many great people. It wasn't helped by Gwen and Blake wasting their saves on Craig.

I think Team Blake's performance might be my one of my favortie team performances ever on this show. Gwen's team did a good job as well. Adam and Pharrell were horrible.

My predictions for the top 12:

11-12 - Sugar and Ryan

9-10 - Matt and Danica

7-8 - Jesse and Taylor

5-6 - Chris and Damien

4 - Reagan

3 - Craig

2 - Luke

1 - Anita

• Love 1

I'm pretty cool with the results with a couple of glaring exceptions.

Really, Blake?  Jessie?  I don't get her at all.  I see twenty girls at karaoke every week who are better than she is.

And it didn't surprise me that Pharrell chose Sugar, but I cannot stand her.  Something about her personally just rubs me the wrong way.  I lived in LA when I was in my 20s and I knew so many kids who were the children of moderately successful artists and they all had this... thing about them.  This thing that was kind of snotty and upleasant.  She reminds me of all of them.

I know everybody hates Jean because of her reported behavior during the blind auditions but I'm a Jean fan.  I'm sorry to see her gone.

Edited by twistygirl
  • Love 1

Since iTunes was brought up, here's the approximate peaks this week, from Idolforums:

33 ... Matt McAndrew - God Only Knows
48 ... Damien - I'm Not the Only One
58 ... Anita Antoinette - All About That Bass
59 ... Reagan James - Try
60 ... Jessie Pitts - Holding Out For a Hero 
69 ... Taylor John Williams - Stuck In the Middle With You
64 ... Craig Wayne Boyd - Some Kind of Wonderful
72 ... Luke Wade - Let’s Get It On
100 ... Sugar Joans - I Say a Little Prayer 

Before the live playoffs, Taylor John Williams hit the T100 3 times (topping the knockouts), Matt McAndrew (topping the battles) and the booted Taylor Phelan (topping the auditions) the first 2 rounds. 

Matt hitting #33 is a bit low for the playoffs compared to: Amanda Brown's Dream On #13, Danielle's Maybe it Was Memphis #4, Amber's Stay #17, James's A Case of You #4, Caroline Pennell's We're Going to Be Friends #11, Jacquie's I Put a Spell on You #17, and Matthew's Wrecking Ball #21...

Sometimes when I read these posts - and I love them - I think - why do we bother to discuss this when all of it is so subjective?  

Horrible?  Fantastic?  Boring?  Whatever.  Beauty is and always has been in the eye of the beholder.

I think a singer has to be way way WAY worse than any of these people to be called "horrible".  Horrible?  9/11 was horrible.  Horrible is me singing on national TV - and I actually can carry a tune.I guess I'd like to know what folks mean by "horrible".  Out of tune?  Just can't sing?  Or is it, really, "I don't like the way s/he sounds"?  Just like - I love brussel sprouts and most everyone else I know - not so much.

Why would Blake pick Jessie when you/others don't like her?  Because he does like her.

If this were not true, we'd all buy the same record and there'd be no need for I-tunes rankings.  The thing that is so great about the Voice is that everybody likes something different.

Nevertheless, I love reading these posts.

Edited by tpplay
  • Love 3

I think this is Reagan's to lose, but if Blake continues to find her moribund songs to sing, I would not be surprised if Craig is last singer standing for Blake.

As for everyone else, bravo to the judges and maybe the producers (I'm looking at you, Mark Burnett), for "suggesting" to them to make some "surprising" choices.

It seems like Pharrell and Gwen saved their "crushes" over "potential," hence Elyjuh's and Briana's "unexpected" exits. Maybe Pharrell has a side deal with Elyjuh, because he did not seem as gutted as I thought he would be.

Although, I'm shocked that Tiny Joel McHale (Taylor P.) is out, there was something a bit off-putting about him that turned me off. 

Definitely some surprises tonight.

Wasn't sure what would happen with Blake's team. A few weeks ago, John David seemed a lock for the finals, but he never lived up to the promise of his blinds. Craig is my favorite this season and Jesse is one of my least. Blake looked much happier about CWB than Reagan.

Pharrell- Danica getting voted in was definitely a shocker - and Pharrell didn't even clap for her. Way to show support Pharrell. He was probably upset because it meant he couldn't take through his chosen ones. Now that Sugar has been chosen Mrs. Pharrell is probably not singing "Happy" tonight.

Gwen's twin's (cause that really can't be her with that face, right ?) ended up with predictable songs. Had no idea who her third choice would be. Not sure I care.

Adam. WTF? Chris? He gave up Taylor who sold more music than anyone else this season for someone who did so poorly?

Edited by Cramps

Regarding the charts, I think Blake wisely keeps tabs on them the most (at first to see who he should save and then to choose songs) but they're not always 100% indicative of success. The people who chart low are generally goners, but there are people who chart high early on and then falter (James Wolpert did a fantastic rendition of another Joni Mitchell song, A Case of You, I think in the first or second live show of his season, and he never matched that high again). Or people who are boosted by a particular song choice. Plus, older contestants or country ones tend to get way more telephone votes (going by their sometimes lower chart positions which aren't enough to eliminate them).

So I think it might be a little early to pick the frontrunners but it might not be too early to start figuring out who the weak players are. Hm.

Blake's team worked out well, those are the top 2 by far in my mind, and I like that he was willing to let James David go since Craig was clearly far surpassing him as the country male vocalist. I still think Reagan seems at times to look really full of herself, but whoever called her a "prodigy" in the Monday thread is dead-on.

I... am now convinced Pharrell is fucking- or desperately wants to be fucking- Sugar Jones. Why, I can't imagine, and when people mentioned the googly eyes during rehearsals in yesterday's episode thead, I wasn't seeing it. Now, though?

He also made another dumb mistake, hardly his first, although I could tell how unhappy and flummoxed he was to have DaNica picked when they cut to his face. I'm betting he was sure it'd be Luke and Elyjuh in the top 2 and then he'd pick Sugar, but when push came to shove he couldn't dump Sugar. She is absolutely nothing special, whereas Elyjuh grew on me as a real vocal talent.

I though for sure Ricky would be in the top 2 over Anita, and when he wasn't that Gwen would save him. Kinda sad that he and Elyjuh are gone, both intrigued me. I wonder if Ryan got saved because he's so hard working and open to coaching, or if he'd been jamming with Gwen and writing songs and they just clicked artistically. We the viewers don't know the behind-the-scenes factors that could influence things in unexpected ways.

I will say that when this season started, I thought Gwen came off as ditzy with her fashion focus in her comments, and Pharrell seemed smart and canny. Total 180 at this point: he seems almost crazy at this point, while Gwen consistently makes smart choices, has been a great coach, and seems very sincere and involved. I hope she comes back for future seasons.

Adam surprised me by picking Chris. Matt and Damien seemed well ahead of the rest, so good on America for picking them, while Taylor was I thought a shoo-in. But, he did seem to be more about good song choice as opposed to good singing.

All in all, I still don't really love anyone left so I can't feel too strongly either way about the results. Except Sugar; I have no idea what Pharrell sees in her, except the disturbing possibility that it's not about the music.

• Love 1

Okay.  My thoughts:

Team Blake: I pretty much knew, based on iTunes, that Reagan was getting through and was also not at all surprised by Craig.  And I, too, had a feeling that Blake is the one coach who keeps tabs on iTunes success and really wanted to see him pick Jessie since she was the third-highest one to chart from his team.  But I expected he'd keep backing James David, who is just so damn boring and generic.  So my mind was blown when he went with Jessie.  Good choice, Blake.  Surprised to see him with a female-heavy team, though.  As for the female Taylor, she biffed this with her song choice, and James David did, as well.

Team Pharrell: My mind was blown by DaNica getting voted through by America.  I thought she'd have to be saved.  But I'm glad of it because she really did do a spectacular job last night.  Luke seems to be so popular for reasons I can't figure out, so I knew he'd get through, too.  My mind was also blown by Pharrell choosing Sugar to advance, because . . . really?  He totally wasted a Save on her in the Knockouts, and now, he wastes a Save on her in the Playoffs.  Don't see her lasting long.  As for Elyjuh, I'm really shocked Pharrell let him go, but he's probably gonna keep coaching him even away from the show, and Jean?  After the blinds, good riddance.  I'm amazed she got this far after that.

Team Gwen: I'm okay with Taylor John and Anita getting through.  I'm still a bit miffed at Gwen for picking Taylor John over Amanda, who clearly wiped the floor with him in their battle, but after hearing more of him, I can see his appeal to her.  Anita is adorable and was frankly the obvious choice for Gwen to save if she wasn't voted in.  She also did really well in the live show last night.  Gwen does have some kind of attachment to Ryan, so I figured he'd safe, too.  As for Bryana, I'm disappointed she wasn't saved, because she was amazing last night, and she was doing well enough on iTunes, better than Ryan or Ricky, whom I was also a bit surprised to see go since Gwen thought she'd won the show with him.  Gwen had better put all her backing behind Anita and Taylor John, because Ryan's probably gone around the second or third week of the viewer vote rounds.  Fourth week, if I'm being extremely generous.

Team Adam: Damien is both a pleasant and unpleasant surprise.  Unpleasant because I thought he should've been tossed in the Battles over Kelli, and in the Knockouts over Toia.  Adam's fixation on him is a mystery to me.  But he has a good story the audience eats up, so of course he gets through.  Pleasant because I knew, due to him getting by, that Adam would have to choose between at least two of his bland, white heavy-hitters.  Matt's another who has some kind of odd, mysterious fame that I don't get.  But I knew he'd get through based on his iTunes success.  Chris getting through surprised me a bit because I barely remember him other than the fact that his last name is the same as my first.  I really thought Adam would pick Taylor.  As for Mia, I'm not surprised she's gone.  Adam will almost always favor the men over the women.  Always.  Just look at all of his male vs. female Battle and Knockout decisions, save for Alessandra beating Joe.  And Taylor I'm shocked to see go (but pleasantly surprised) since he was doing so well on iTunes, as well.

So Blake and Pharrell blew my mind tonight.  Gwen and Adam did not.

Edited by Paron Xanthis
  • Love 2

Team Adam: Adam once again shows why he's the worst judge on The Voice. Though I like Chris, he should not have gotten through on that performance. He's pretty much cannon fodder at this point. Taylor Phelan should have went through by far.

As for the rest of the team, I've hated all of Matt's performances and don't think he's interesting at all while Damien's a trick one pony who has a very good voice but does not know how to use it to the full extent. This is Adam's weakest live team ever.

Team Gwen: I can't really get behind Taylor W. or Anita. Although Taylor has a nice voice, he's just so dead in the eyes that I can never fully commit to his voice. I don't think he's particularly original either. I liked Anita's blind but haven't liked anything since. Whenever she "reggaes" it up, I fast forward. I am not as flabbergasted or outraged about Gwen's decision as many others are. Ryan has a great voice and is good looking. If Gwen can bring out the performance and emotional sides of him more, he could be a threat. With that being said, I still would have chosen Ricky or Bryana.

Team Pharrell: Happy with the audience vote. I'm hoping that Pharrell can make Luke a little more current because at this point I don't see him as the winner. Also, please tell him to stop swooping and hollering, thanks. If he wins, I'll be really happy though. I really like him and think he's immensely talented. Danica impressed me this week. Moving onto the coach save, on the one hand, I like Elyjuh's voice but on the other, I can't stand his mannerisms on stage and if Sugar can keep on singing like she did with the first verse of I Say A Little Prayer, she will do well. Just please tell her to stop shouting because it hurts my ears.

Team Blake: I'm content with all of his team's choices. Go CWB.

Edited by ppl

On the bright side, America did a great job. Other than Blake--always so low key but so savvy--the other coaches all blew it, imo. Adam saved Chris over Taylor P, I believe, because he thinks Chris will get votes for being good looking (he keeps talking about it although he seems kind of forgettable to me so far, musically and otherwise). Taylor was more interesting song-wise, but that may be because Adam threw Chris under the bus with that song choice (maybe he saved him so as not to look like he'd made a mistake).

I knew Gwen was going to save Ryan. She melts every time he flashes his adorable smile at her and says something so heartfelt. (I did get just a little suspicious that he might be "working it" when he entered the audition with, "I've missed you SO much!!!" He seems like a nice guy but I just wonder about that. I thought Ricky and Bryanna gave better performances, but I think Gwen voted because she's crushing on Ryan.

Same for Pharrell. Sugar is so forgettable to me. Other than the purple hair I couldn't even pick her out of a crowd so Pharrell's apparent infatuation is just baffling. There's no way, imo, that she has "the voice" to move on over Elyjuh (who I still feel was completely coachable to get rid of the annoying mannerism, if  Pharrell  had even  tried. 

Blake is so cool and always comes in so low key, kind of like he's no threat at all, and then makes so many good decisions along the way that he ends up with a very competitive team. I was so glad that America voted through CWB who has just made an amazing progress in the last two performances--from kind of "okay, whatever" at the blinds  to someone I really am noticing and rooting for.

James David is exactly the opposite. He seemed like a top 4 possibility at the blinds--looks, voice, experience, presence--then just faded out every week. Someone upthread called it, I think--he lacks energy. CWB really wanted it and put it out there. JD's lack of fire in his performances just took away from his natural attractiveness. Really strange and unpredictable. I love it that Blake made the tough call and cut him while keeping Jessie. I don't like her style, but it -is- different and that counts for a lot and she did do well on iTunes--which Blake wisely pays attention to. Also as others have said, CWB is left as the only country artist remaining--a really powerful advantage for him if he keeps turning in good performances.

I guess my favorites so far would be Damien, Luke, Anita and CWB.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 2

Not too many surprises tonight.  I was bummed Taylor from Team Blake didn't perform better.  I really liked her in the early rounds.  On a shallow note, she looked so much thinner tonight.  Too bad they figured out how to dress her too late.

When they were showing Blake'a team from a distance I couldn't figure out who Taylor was. She couldn't have lost that much weight in a week. The stylists really suck on this show!

• Love 5

This is the first time I'm not complaining about results.  As America we had two chances to get who we wanted through on each team. If our favs didn't get through, we only had ourselves to blame.

Personally, I feel that Sugar was easily the weakest in the team sing along, while I'm shocked that he fought so hard for Eliyuh just to let him go at this juncture of the competition. But I get why Pharell picked her.

Gwen couldn't win with whoever was left because the other three pretty much blended together into grayness.

I'm shocked at Blake's pick because he really doesn't like advancing his steals and the other two are closer to his genre. But it was a smart, strategic pick.

Adam couldn't lose with his pick.. I would've liked to have seen what Taylor can do, it would've been interesting watching Mia blossom on stage but, I feel that Chris has more potential to do damage.

I'm not sure who I'm rooting for. I'll need a few days to process the final twelve. Sadly, there's nobody that really excites me so far. Hopefully that changes as the competition progresses and we get more standout performances.

On an interesting side note it's interesting that three people associated with Gwen at some juncture were coach's picks.

PHEW! I think we have culled the Taylors and only have one left, correct? Comparing the group songs, I thought Team Gwen killed it. They sounded great. Also, for once I pretty much agree with America’s votes. Usually I am cursing the voting public on the results shows.

Team Blake: Once I saw Regan and CWB were safe, I knew James David was a goner. Those two probably would have split votes so why keep both around when you only have 3 people on your team? Not to mention, James David really hasn’t done anything since the Blinds. Jessie did well on iTunes so that is reason alone to move her forward. Taylor B. never stood a chance after the first round. However, she looked great! When you ditch the flowy caftans and long robes that The Voice stylists are so fond of for women larger than a size 8, you discover that these women actually have a nice figure hiding under there!

Team Gwen: We all knew Keanu Taylor was a lock, so no surprises there. I haven’t been thrilled with Anita’s song choices but do like her and was glad to see she was voted through. I was pretty shocked that Gwen saved the cute boy whose name I can’t remember.

Team Pharrell: I wasn’t 100% sure P would save Sugar over Elyjuh (still hate that spelling of his name). I’m not a fan of either so I wasn’t exactly holding my breath. I can’t say I will miss Elyjuh’s facial contortions. His voice is so lovely but the boy needs to learn to keep that mugging in check. I was happy DaNica and Luke went through. Sorry Jean, not going to miss you.

Team Adam: Pleasantly surprised to see Damien voted through. Not too surprising Matt was voted in. Chris was saved…what? I thought the Joel McHale Taylor would have been saved by Adam.

I had so much hope for Team Pharrell, then when that started to tank it looked Like Team Gwen was shaping up to be the strongest. Now I have changed my mind yet again and am thinking at this point, Team Blake is the one to beat. I am still not terribly impressed by any one contestant yet. Hopefully with some more one on one attention from coaches with these smaller teams, we will see some improvement.

• Love 1

Am I the only one who was anoyed to the point of being offended by Team Blake's song (the performance, not the song itself)?  I mean, I know that most ot these contestants weren't old enough to live through the Reagan/Thatcher years and therefore have no idea what "Life in a Northern Town" really means, but they obviously are too clueless to learn a little about not-so-ancient American history, because CWB was the only one who seemed to get that this is a song about people losing their livelihoods and everything they owned, not about partying up north on a Saturday night (disclaimer:  I am from Pittsburgh and this song means the world to me because I LIVED IT).

Edited by twistygirl

Yeah, Gwen did get some serious plastic surgery over the break. Too bad because she was prettier before.

It's not all that hard to reach the top of the rock charts. Very little rock music is sold on iTunes as singles. Luke and most of Monday night outsold him on iTunes.

My predictions for the top 12:

11-12 - Sugar and Ryan

9-10 - Matt and Danica

7-8 - Jesse and Taylor

5-6 - Chris and Damien

4 - Reagan

3 - Craig

2 - Luke

1 - Anita

I agree with your rankings, but I think the top four are interchangeable.  I do think they will be the top 4, however.  I also think Matt and Taylor may end up in the 5-6 position. 

• Love 1

Twistygirl- interesting you should mention the choice of Life in a Northern Town. My husband and I were discussing it during the show. The original song was by Dream Academy, who were English. So the original version probably wouldn't have been about Reagan if there was a political element, it probably would have been about Thatcher.

But you just got me curious, so I googled it. Looks like they remade the video for America back then, (after the brilliant Tim Pope had done a UK version). And the US version had footage of a Pennsylvania steel town in it. Which might make it seem like it was about Reagan. Also it seems that Sugartown had a hit with it a few years ago- which is why team Blake probably covered it.

Of course aside from knowing that the band were British (which I know for a fact, as a friend of a friend used to be married to one of them), the rest I learned on wiki--so I could be totally wrong!

Edited by Cramps

I was completely shocked by DaNica being voted in. I was pleasantly surprised because she really does have an amazing voice, but I just thought she'd be out based on it not being a "youthful" song choice. I mean, I thought she even expected to be gone.  Her face during the entire result part just screamed "I'm going home, but I'm cool with it."  And then she was safe. And that meant Elyjuh was gone, because Pharell is an idiot. I don't care about his facial expressions, that kid is amazing.  And it sucks he's been thrown over by a generic hippy singer whose original name is 50x better than her made up one. Sugar Joans? Wth. 

I think Adam picked Chris over Taylor P because Taylor P and Matt have similaraties that might split their votes some. So he chose Chris, the "hot" one. (He's okay-looking, but he has that Channing Tatum thing where he needs a little extra in his performance to overcome some negatives in his face).  And I think Gwen saved Ryan because he and Jessie Pitts have a secret love affair. (This is weird speculation on my part, and would also have no bearing on the Judges' decisions, so ignore that).  Blake's team went the way it should. No weird results there.

Yeah, I'd vote for him (Taylor x3) just for the sake of making his grandmother happy. =)

I really did not care for Taylor all that much until I saw his grandma. She is far too adorable to disappoint. 

• Love 1

Ryan and Jessie are not dating -- Jessie is actually dating John Martin, the other pretty-boy singer who was eliminated earlier.

I was surprised that Pharrell didn't go with Elyjah either, especially since he did such a good job on the live show.  Though maybe he already made arrangements to keep mentoring him away from the show, if America didn't choose him.  That would sort of explain why Elyjah didn't appear as crushed as I thought he would by the rejection.

I thought the same. Elyjuh is so drama prone, I expected him to start crying immediately. Especially with all of the judges' praise of his performance. So I'm assuming they'll still work together. I was starting to really enjoy him and if he could work on his facial expressions, I could see him doing really well.

I'm not surprised Pharrell kept Sugar over Elyjuh but I am disappointed. Sugar is talented, but there is absolutely no way she'll do well on the show. You can be amazing musically and not have the personality/style to move further in a competition like this. The fact that Pharrell couldn't recognize this lessens my admiration for him. If he had kept up with the underdog story for Elyjuh and Elyjuh had worked on his performance skills he could have gone far.

I was more surprised by Gwen's pick of Ryan, actually, because I think she's pretty strategic and Bryana could have been a contender. (Also, doesn't she have a clothing line geared for teenage girls?) But Bryana was definitely unsteady, and Ryan has one of the strongest voices in the competition right now. It's just his performance style (and the horrible clothes they are putting him in) that needs work. I hope they can figure that out for next week.

Adam may have thought that Taylor Phelan and Matt McAndrew were going to split the votes and chose to throw Taylor out when Matt was voted in. That was the biggest surprise of the night for me. I don't see Chris staying past next week.

This was a thoroughly entertaining episode.  Good group performances for the most part, except for Pharrell's team. Decent suspense in the results. To me, the public saves themselves weren't all that surprising, but it was really interesting to see what the coaches would do.

Pharrell seemed surprised by the Danica save (goes to show itunes is not always a reliable predictor) and you could see the wheels turning in his head as he had to change course. To me, it made sense to save Sugar.  Pharrell already had to put his neck out once to save Elyjuh, so why bother saving him again when it's clear the public won't support him. 

Gwen's decision seemed easier. None of the remaining three really stood out so I don't think there was much strategy in her decision.  Just picked the one with whom she had the best connection.  

Most interesting of all to me were the decisions by Blake and Adam. They don't seem consistent with their strategies over the past few seasons. It makes me wonder how much producer involvement there is. 

In the past, Blake tended to stay loyal to his original team members. He never tried to get back anyone he had eliminated in prior rounds, but we saw him stealing Craig Wayne Boyd back this season.  He typically didn't advance his steals, but he did so with Jessie in the knockouts and then saved her again in the live playoffs.  He was usually cognizant about vote-splitting, but in choosing Jessie, he has two indie girls with "quirky" voices.  Taylor B. probably would have been the best bet to diversify his team. Overall I'm finding Blake's decisions perplexing. Especially the lack of loyalty to James David Carter that dates back to his decision to steal back Craig.  

For Adam, his decision to keep Chris over Taylor P. was puzzling to me.  I always thought that Adam favored the more experienced contestants. The ones who were more seasoned performers and who knew who they were as artists. To me, Chris seems inexperienced and his vocals haven't really held up that well (weak falsetto in the battles or knockouts, then breath control issues in the live playoffs with an admittedly difficult song). Chris seems more likely to falter in the live rounds, and this is just not Adam's M.O.  He usually goes with the more proven artists.  Taylor P. seems tailor-made for Adam's team.  He knows who he is as an artist, has taken risks, and knows how to work the stage. I'm very surprised that Adam chose not to save him.  Granted Adam has been working longer with Chris so there is probably a certain comfort level there that doesn't exist with Taylor P.  

Good job America!!  You probably saved people that would otherwise have been eliminated.

Blake - He made the right decision.  James David has a really good voice but he played it too safe.  Craig took advantage of his time on the Voice.  I like how he said that he's done 200 radio interviews since being on the show.  He said that previously he couldn't get anybody to play one of his singles.  He knew how to create great performances that engaged the audience.  I think both of them could have split votes.  Jessie did better on ITunes so James was out.

Adam - I just didn't want him to pick Mia because I don't like her voice.  It's too nasally.

Pharrell - I'm glad America saved Danica because I'm not sure if Pharrell would.  I think he would have went with Elyjuh and Sugar along with Luke.  I would have chosen Elyjuh over Sugar.  His facial expressions and connection improved during the lives.  Somebody posted that his voice is like butter and I agree.  But Pharrell is infatuated with Sugar.  Her live pre-package was weird the way he hugged and swayed with her.  Glad Jean didn't make it.

Gwen - I would have chosen Bryanna over Ryan especially since Katriz and Mia are gone.  But Ryan seems like he's willing to learn and he does have a good voice even though it's generic.  He still needs to improve on his performance.  He's a handsome guy but Bryanna was also a very cute girl.

Edited by realdancemom

Most interesting of all to me were the decisions by Blake and Adam. They don't seem consistent with their strategies over the past few seasons. It makes me wonder how much producer involvement there is. 

In the past, Blake tended to stay loyal to his original team members. He never tried to get back anyone he had eliminated in prior rounds, but we saw him stealing Craig Wayne Boyd back this season.  He typically didn't advance his steals, but he did so with Jessie in the knockouts and then saved her again in the live playoffs.  He was usually cognizant about vote-splitting, but in choosing Jessie, he has two indie girls with "quirky" voices.  Taylor B. probably would have been the best bet to diversify his team. Overall I'm finding Blake's decisions perplexing. Especially the lack of loyalty to James David Carter that dates back to his decision to steal back Craig.  

For Adam, his decision to keep Chris over Taylor P. was puzzling to me.  I always thought that Adam favored the more experienced contestants. The ones who were more seasoned performers and who knew who they were as artists. To me, Chris seems inexperienced and his vocals haven't really held up that well (weak falsetto in the battles or knockouts, then breath control issues in the live playoffs with an admittedly difficult song). Chris seems more likely to falter in the live rounds, and this is just not Adam's M.O.  He usually goes with the more proven artists.  Taylor P. seems tailor-made for Adam's team.  He knows who he is as an artist, has taken risks, and knows how to work the stage. I'm very surprised that Adam chose not to save him.  Granted Adam has been working longer with Chris so there is probably a certain comfort level there that doesn't exist with Taylor P.  

I know what you mean, but actually I wasn't surprised by Blake as much as I was impressed. He usually -is- more loyal to those he started with, but he's also so smart and so strategic (at the same time he's being quiet and low-key and apparently not even very competitive). He pays close attention to who the public likes and he's sincere about wanting to not just be "the country coach". I liked James David so much at the blinds--thought he'd be one of my favorites--but he's disappointed ever since while CWB (thanks in part to Gwen) really stepped it up and shows he really "wants it". James David gave off a different vibe, even in his song choices--a lack of passion and intensity that could come across as entitlement or arrogance. Plus, his performances really didn't stand out when they could/should have. Blake had a good team going into the Knockouts and now he arguably has one of the strongest, with two frontrunners. I bet Usher is at home, marveling over it (and seeing right through Pharrell's reasons for choosing "Sugar".) 

I'm sorry Elyjuh didn't make it through--he could have grown so much as a performer, had a great "underdog" story and with that gorgeous voice, might even have won. There is, on the other hand, no way in the world that Sugar has any chance at all to win.

The contrast between JDC and CWB is so interesting. They're both country dudes in their mid-30s, plugging away, are full-time working musicians, but haven't quite broken though. So you have to wonder if what's holding them back is internal or external?

I'm willing to believe that Craig has suffered the career equivalent of a Series of Unfortunate Events. I think he can get that break and make it. James David (yeah that name thing was odd) OTOH, seems to have revealed that he's a self-sabotager. It wouldn't surprise me if he and Blake tangled behind the scenes.

• Love 1

You know I know they did the whole "You have to be yourself" between Elijuh and Pharrell, but he mugged way less in his first live performance.  I bet they did talk about it some because he did improve on that front.  If you watch his earlier performances compared to his last the difference is amazing.

Cut to the group performance and he was at it again, every time the camera was in his direction he was staring straight into it and making those weird high school musical faces.  I wonder if Pharrell got a load of that and decided to go with Sugar?  I'd like to think it was anything other than the fact he seems like he wants in her pants.  Or non pants with how she was dressed last night.  She doesn't seem to be participating though which is good.

• Love 1

Elyjuh's mannerisms come from his gospel background.  I hope that behind the scenes he has been scooped up by some label and has a career on the way.  I, too, am very disappointed that he lost out to someone who butchered an iconic song.

Edited by Babalooie
  • Love 1

I have to admit it--Blake is my favorite coach. His weakness is song choice (it's pretty much everyone's weakness, imo), but otherwise he really plays his part well. He's got the "good natured, friend-to-all" vibe going with the other coaches, no matter who shows up in those seats. He's got jokes and quips for the singers and audience and lets misfired humor roll off him (occasionally Adam gets too personal or insulting because, imo, he has no filter and is trying to keep it "funny"). He works well with every kind of singer--bringing seriousness to rehearsals along with a relaxed, "I'm here for you" big-brother kind of vibe that puts everyone at ease. So important.

And he's obviously got strategies thought out for every part of the game. Usher, too, is a strategist. In addition to watching his buddy Pharrell (whose blowing it, imo), I'll bet anything that Usher is studying Blake still and will come back stronger than ever next season.

Edited by Padma
  • Love 2

Usher isn't coming back next season. It's Pharrell, Christina, Blake and Adam. Usher and Shakira originally said they were a pair and would only come back together. Don't know if that is still true or not.

Ok, I'm going to assume that Adam, Gwen, Pharrell and Blake don't know who America saves so are surprised like we are.  Big assumption, I know, because I've always figured they do know.  However, if you watch Pharrell's face closely when they announce that Danica is safe, he does NOT look pleased.  I think he thought America would save Luke and Sugar, leaving him free to save Elijah (or however he spells it).  I think he was wrong to save Sugar but it's his team so whatever.  Doesn't look like "America" likes Sugar much so hopefully she won't last long.  

Love that Damian gave Blake back his pocket knife.  Nice moment on the show.

I am continually distracted and mesmerized by Carson's upper lip.  It goes up on one side while he talks.  

• Love 1