Type keyword(s) to search

S01 E02: Aren't You Scared?

LaQisha convinces Ana to invite Kate and Jhemini to her housewarming party; Jhemini brings an uninvited guest to Ana's party; Jhemini begins her modeling career; Kate worries about Carlo's safety.

I don't know which of these women I hate the most, but I'm pretty sure it's Jhemini.  She's talking about how dangerous or gross Tacoma is and then says she lives in freaking Everett!  Everett smells like someone took a shit in a rotten shoe and left it in the sun and she's acting that it's some metropolitan dream?  At least Tacoma has some culture.  Everett has nothing.  What a snobby bitch for no reason whatsoever.  And it keeps saying Seattle on the screen but none of these women appear to live there.

Ana is so freaking sad and depressing.  It seems like she can't get a man in real life, for obvious reasons, so she got one in prison and feels like it's a legitimate relationship because he controls her.  She's like that woman on Seinfeld at the party constantly asking where 'her baby' is so everyone knows she's hooked up.  What a dumbass.

• Love 3

Ugh Jhemini can STFU anytime now. Her constant judging and superiority complex over the rest of the women is infuriating. Her man is in jail too, and the only reason he got 10 years instead of life is that he missed his target! I also cannot stand her voice, she's one of those obnoxious uptalkers. Everything she says sounds like a valley girl asking a question.

Ok. Ana needs to stop it about the drinking. JUST. STOP. IT. Some people drink. Some people don't. Stop acting like it's a goddamned big deal. She sounds like she's 21 and fresh into the bar scene "I'll do what I want! I'm ALLOWED to drink!!!!" Ugh. I just cannot. Have a damn seat. She also needs to stop getting so defensive about how she met her husband. That's a common question and acting all butthurt that someone would ask and getting nasty from the beginning just makes her look bad. Or maybe she's a shitty drunk. Both?

Kate I still like. I can understand her feelings of just wanting a guy to pay attention to her. She still seems like one of the most real of the bunch. LaQuisha too, on every other aspect besides the fact she married Philip. I also like the fact that she said alcoholism runs in her family so she abstains. It's nice to see someone [on a reality show] being responsible about that sort of thing. It also bugged that Ana seemed to expect LaQuisha to babysit her during the party. Hell no. Ana is grown, take care of her own drunk ass.

I also think the whole Kate and Jhemini parking lot/driving fight was staged. Or they were filmed driving and bitching at each other on another day and they spliced it into this episode. I doubt they spent hours driving around Tacoma circling Ana's block. It was total daylight while they were bitching at each other and nighttime when they arrived to the party. Um, huh?

• Love 1

Here is my politically incorrect post, so sorry if I offend.

Jhemini:  I think this is a case of "middle class girls falls for boy from the wrong side of the tracks."  She was probably excited by her husband at first, but now it's dawning on her that she's with a man in prison and the fantasy is over.  I can't stand her voice either; early 1980's Valley Girl...yuk.

Kate:  I think she knew Carlo before he was arrested, so she's just staying true.  I like her, she's seems very down to earth and grounded.  

Quisha:  I'm sure if her husband were the same color as she, she wouldn't have bothered with him.  Doesn't mean she's color struck, but colorism is very ingrained in the black community, so ingrained that colorist decisions can be made unconsciously.  I also think Quisha gets off on having these two men fight over her.  The sad truth is that as a black woman in her thirties, it's not so easy.  Today there are more black women doing well than black men, so black men have many choices, where black women (at least black women who want black men only) don't have the same as many choices.  A black man can be with women better looking, than Quisha, with a better career than Quisha, and with no children.  I really feel for her because she seems like a very nice person.

Ana:  Interesting that she became defensive when Rome was talking to her.  If she was secure in her choice of a husband, why was she so defensive when Rome was asking sensible questions, why are you with a man in prison?  I think Ana is self conscious about her weight and feels that her husband is the best she can do.  I wonder what would happen if he got out.  

• Love 2

I wonder if Ana even realizes how much she contradicts herself:

"I hate being controlled/I love my husband's control over me!"

"I was afraid at first to write to a prisoner, then I figured, he's a lifer, he can't show up on my doorstep and kill me / How dare you ask was I afraid! If you're going to ask stupid questions I'm leaving."

• Love 3

Out of all the women on this show, I feel the most sympathy for Ana because she's clearly codependent.  She mentioned being in an abusive relationship prior to writing her husband and I think she fell in love with the idea that this man would write her all the "right" things and say all the right things and she would never have to worry about being abused or cheated on. 

• Love 1

After I saw the first episode and went nuts, I decided one of the dogs must have drugged my Diet Coke and I let the next few eps pile up on my DVR.  Nope!  I can't take my eyes off the tv--these women make me feel sad, outrage, disbelief--pretty much the whole gamut of emotions, other than envy.

Congratulations to whatever casting agent found Jhemini because that girl's been preparing for B-grade reality tv her whole life.  "I'm a model!  From an upper class background!  And I do not look like someone who'd be married to a person who is incarcerated!"  No, sweetheart--you're an immature young woman with silly eyebrows and vocal fry who's beginning to notice the novelty has worn off your high-maintenance rare breed puppy, except you're married to him and can't dump him off at the pound.

LaQuisha had sixteen different hairstyles--and they were all pretty.

Kate, your trip with Jhemini (arrrgh, that name) is the reason I always take my own car.

Oh, Ana. . .bless your heart.

• Love 2