Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Civil Defense

I haven't seen any of DS9 since the first broadcast.  From the beginning of the series I was expecting Cardassian booby traps on the station, so my main reaction to this episode was "Finally!"

• Love 1

The best part is Dukat.  After taunting Sisko and trying to exact a heavy price to disarm the self destruct, he tries to beam to the safety of his ship to await Sisko's answer...only for another secret Cardassian security program to kick in.  This one has detected Dukat trying to leave and assumes he's trying to flee after letting his Bajoran slaves take over his station and condemns him to share their fate.  Priceless.

• Love 4

This episode is pretty funny. Yes, the best part is Dukat mocking them, trying to take advantage of the situation, then getting trapped himself. Whoops. Lol.

Also enjoy Quark going to Odo's office because it he thinks it is safer, only for them to be trapped in the office.

Garak is great as always.

One of my favourite episodes.  Agree with everyone about Dukat being hoist on his own petard; pretty funny.  Also his speechifying in an attempt to impress Kira, and Garak's annoyance at same.  (Their sniping at each other throughout the episode is pretty funny).  Liked how our heroes had to think on their feet and improvise.  Also liked how it showed how unpredictable Terrak Nor could still be.

"Remember, Doctor, your home was built by Cardassians."  -- Kira.

• Love 1

I love this episode too - one of my favourites. Dukat being an arrogant smug ass, before finding out he couldn't beam off the station because his superior didn't trust HIM. Ha! Dukat and Garak flinging insults at one another - never not wonderful. Loved the premise overall too - I mean of course the Cardassians would do something like that. Makes total sense. Also the little bonding of Odo and Quark. So awesome. It's like they love-hate each other.

The one thing though - the Cardassians didn't give anyone any time to respond!! If this had occured when the Cardassians were on the station, and one was knocked out, there wouldn't be enough time to respond! Great episode though!

• Love 2

I have to echo all the love for this episode in this thread for many of the same reasons. It a really good but of sci-fi but there some nice character in there. Its not a truly great episode of DS9 its solid but not brilliant and I'm sure there are a dozens of stronger episodes. Yet it contains so much of what made DS9 great in both humor and character grace notes and relying on the history of the show more than the technobabble.  I like that this episode (probably without even really meaning too) highlights the difference between Dukat and Garak. Garak could probably have gotten himself of the station like Dukat tried to (I doubt the fail safe would have prevented Garak from leaving ultimately the Cardassians would have wanted to preserve as many assets as possible even as the station was falling)but he chose to stay and help. Its subtle but revealing of both characters true natures. Garak still has an honorable streak and can't help caring about the people in his life while Dukat is just a selfish asshole. In many ways this episode is a microcosm of both character arcs throughout the show.

^ well said about Garak. He has done dark horrible things but he really was just doing his job in the Obsidian order. Garak had no problem killing targets however he did care about people. Dukat is just evil and is a sociopath.

What's telling to me is that even within the standards of Cardassian morality and ethics, I think Garak still viewed Dukat as falling very short and held him in disdain as a result.

Elim and the likes of Enabran Tain were very flawed,

(and even at the end of the series the former admits how badly their kind has sinned),

but if nothing else both men held the well being of Cardassia above all else. Garak himself endures a painful exile for years,

goes against Dominion rule from the beginning

, and continually risks his life all without ever compromising his people because he was a patriot who believed devotion to the state was the highest ideal. 

Dukat, on the other hand, constantly shifts where the wind blows, cares about his personal ego, and

sells out Cardassia to the Founders

because in his mind, his glory is the only thing that matters. Everyone else are friends to admire him, inferiors to obey him, and enemies to crush. Garak could be capable of terrible things, but he possessed a level of selflessness beyond what Dukat was capable of. 

• Love 1