Type keyword(s) to search

Enoch "Nucky" Thompson: If You Want the Rainbow...

Now that we know Nucky's story from start to finish, I thought it was time for him to have his own thread.  I couldn't help but reference the song playing at the very end of Eldorado for the topic title.  I think the Norah Jones cover is beautiful, and suits Nucky and his life/choices very well.

So, let me get things started by asking you this: Do you think handing Gillian over to the Commodore was at all understandable, given Nucky's situation at that point?  He was about to lose his job and whatever respect he had gained in the community, and he wanted to provide for Mabel...but he still handed an innocent child over to a pedophile rapist.  Thoughts?

• Love 1

Here's something I don't understand. At the end of Season 3, Nucky moved heaven and earth to save Eddie.  He told Chalky "this man cannot die" or similar.  Then season 4, Eddie offs himself.  Nucky doesn't skip a beat.  No effect on him at all other than annoyance.

• Love 3

billina ... Maybe he didn't grasp the full consequences of his actions, but I just can't quite believe that. So I guess he was a bad apple from the jump.

Nucky never appealed as hero or anti-hero, partly due to lack of charisma, but most of all his because of his utter lack of enjoyment in life. I never understood his motivation. He didn't seem to get off on the money, or on spending it. He also didn't seem to revel in his power.

So ... if not money or power or family, then ... what? There was no "there" there with Nucky.

I guess I can understand why, from his character's perspective, he did it in that moment. His world seemed to be crashing down on him. However, that does not, in any way, excuse what he did. It was a horrible, evil thing. He knew exactly what the Commodore was going to do to her, and he allowed it to happen. Maybe the Commodore would have found someone else to procure Gillian, maybe not. Who knows? But it was still sick and evil, and it was his downfall.

For me, Nucky was never the star of the show. As much as I love Steve Buscemi as an actor, the character just didn't do it for me. That's not his fault, it's the fault of the writing. I didn't like Jimmy at all either, and was glad when he was killed off. I loved the ensemble. Richard, Chalky, Van Alden, Eddie, Margaret when she wasn't being self-righteous- those were the people that kept me coming back. I did enjoy Nucky the most when he was with Sally, because she was someone who seemed to be on equal footing with him, and I really appreciated that.

• Love 1

Now that we know Nucky's story from start to finish, I thought it was time for him to have his own thread.  I couldn't help but reference the song playing at the very end of Eldorado for the topic title.  I think the Norah Jones cover is beautiful, and suits Nucky and his life/choices very well.

So, let me get things started by asking you this: Do you think handing Gillian over to the Commodore was at all understandable, given Nucky's situation at that point?  He was about to lose his job and whatever respect he had gained in the community, and he wanted to provide for Mabel...but he still handed an innocent child over to a pedophile rapist.  Thoughts?

I was almost as disgusted with Nucky in that scene as I was with his big box teeth. What an inhuman act he committed.

Edited by HumblePi