Type keyword(s) to search

AS4, S10: Sonjia Williams

• Start Topic

Re-watched Season 10.  Remember the challenge where the contestants had to design for a child for Heidi's children's collection, and then had to 'sort of' design for their mothers, with the mother's outfits not really counting in the final score?

Christopher had to design for an adorable little girl and her somewhat demanding mother.  Sonjia said something along the lines of -- totally deadpan -- "You need to just get your shit done and not worry what Miss Mary J. Blige thinks."  Oh god.  It was great.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

I always enjoyed her designs and liked her personality - a kind of sunny, relaxed, take no BS attitude - and was looking forward to hearing Tim Gunn call "Son-JIII!" a few more times before I die, and then I realized Tim Gunn isn't on "All-Stars". 

I still like her, though.

• Love 2

I liked her. I thought she was one of the few designers on this show who designed things young women would actually want to wear, and since that differs so wildly from what Nina thinks young women actually want to wear, she took the hit for being too junior. I'm looking forward to seeing her stuff.

I like Sonjia - she reminds me of my cousin in many ways.

Nina Garcia has this mentality that all fashionable young women must be wearing mink coats, silk stockings, Manolo Blahniks, and sterling silver bracelets from Tiffanys. There is nothing wrong with that per se, but it's not a realistic view of young 20 something's today. I am 21 but I see girls wearing some questionable outfits I wouldn't even put on.

Sonjia's decoy collection was pretty bad though, but I think it was more on purpose than anything. I guess it was her way of saying 'F--- you' to the show?

As an urban ready to wear designer she blows Charkita from season 13 out of the water.

Would she be classed as urban? There's so many different incarnations of urban wear and I don't really see her fitting into any of them. She's not urban hipster, nor bohemian urban, and she's definetly not pushing the hip-hop thug urban. On her original season I found her designs to be womanly but not old fart womanly. She's youthful but not immature, sexy without the sleaze. I guess I put her in the same realm as Fabio - they look better than what they design really. She should be a stylist.

• Love 2

I think that Sonjia is a very good designer (and also Fabio) but understand what you mean, BathKol. I especially liked how you characterized Sonjia as "womanly but not old far womanly... youthful but not immature... sexy without the sleaze." With the latter especially in mind, I do find her a superior designer to Charkita, but found both of them to have lovely personalities.

I think that Sonjia is a very good designer (and also Fabio) but understand what you mean, BathKol. I especially liked how you characterized Sonjia as "womanly but not old far womanly... youthful but not immature... sexy without the sleaze." With the latter especially in mind, I do find her a superior designer to Charkita, but found both of them to have lovely personalities.

Thank you, my lady! ;-) I have always admired Sonjia's personal style so I could totally see her rocking it out at a magazine.

Edited by BathKol