Type keyword(s) to search

Fury (2014)

SallyAlbright
  • Start Topic

Just saw this, liked it but it also made me quite sad! I rather surprised at how big of a role Logan Lerman had, he was really the star here and I thought he was fantastic. He reminds me a lot of a younger Jake Gyllenhaal, and I think he is both adorable and really talented. When he looks a little older, I think he is definite leading man movie star material. I was also reminded in this film how talented Shia LaBeouf is. I am glad it seems like he's realized he was being an idiot IRL, because he is really good and was very moving in this film. The cast was solid all around, and it was a good war flick. However, not something I think I'll see more than once. What did you guys think?

I enjoyed it, but did think it had some faults. First of all, I knew, before the movie had started, that Brad Pitt's character was going to die and Norman was going to be one of if not the only survivor. Secondly I felt that Norman's transition from "I'm not supposed to be here!" to "Die Nazis Die!" was more than a little abrupt. I think if the movie had spanned a couple of months instead of days and shown a more gradual change would have been better. I also felt that Norman's acceptance within the crew was also abrupt. One minute they're treating him like shit and the next he's one of the guys. This could also have been addressed had the film timeframe been changed. The one thing I loved was how they showed just how ridiculously outclassed the Sherman was compared to German tanks. I do agree with you, a solid film but not something I'd watch multiple times.

I was also reminded in this film how talented Shia LaBeouf is. I am glad it seems like he's realized he was being an idiot IRL, because he is really good and was very moving in this film. The cast was solid all around, and it was a good war flick.

LaBeouf was the main cast member I had reservations about, because I'd only really seen him in the Transformers movies, and those were.....not good, IMO. But he got to me a little in this one, especially when the tank crew is at that crossroads and he asks someone to pass him a bottle. "What're you gonna do with that?" "Whaddya think I'm gonna do, I'm gonna fuckin' drink it."

And while this might be blasphemy, because it's my favorite movie of all time, the final scenes weren't unlike The Wild Bunch. They know if they stay instead of seeking shelter in the woods they'll all probably die, but if so they're going to die defending not just the little patch of mud they're stranded on but the tank itself, which has become their home over God knows how long. Even Norman, who only ended up there through what amounted to a clerical error. "Ideals are peaceful. History is violent." Indeed.

I haven't seen it yet, but I will, probably next weekend, however, the local newspaper's reviewer absolutely hated it because

of a scene where an American soldier takes a German girl into her room to have sex with her against her will

Is this that as movie-destroying, as the reviewer said it was?

I haven't seen it yet, but I will, probably next weekend, however, the local newspaper's reviewer absolutely hated it because

of a scene where an American soldier takes a German girl into her room to have sex with her against her will

Is this that as movie-destroying, as the reviewer said it was?

Um...

I'm reluctant to say either yes or no, Rick Kitchen, because

the girl doesn't appear to be actively afraid when she's in the bedroom with the soldier, and he doesn't threaten her in any way. Instead, he's the one who comes off as hesitant, not forceful.

Then again, I didn't read the review in question, so its entirely possible that the reviewer had a different interpretation than mine.

Well.

As someone who has seen both Fury and Basterds, I can say that I'm probably more familiar with Tarantino's work than Ayer's. And far be it from me to take issue with the reviewer's viewpoint. However,

the soldier in question's behavior after this scene takes place belies any suggestion that he saw the girl as someone to be used and discarded.

If and when you see the film, you can decide for yourself how bad it is/was.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer

Even Norman, who only ended up there through what amounted to a clerical error. "Ideals are peaceful. History is violent." Indeed.

If wasn't so much of a clerical error as it was that General Marshall underestimated the number of combat troops the US Army would need. After August of 1944 more and more support soldiers and those who active service was being delayed for advanced training were thrown into the front lines as replacements.

Weren't there more than one tank used?

There was one German tank which took out the rest of the US platoon. The other fights were against infantry with towed anti tank guns.

I finally got a chance to see the film, and I don't understand the Sacramento Bee's reviewer's problem with that scene.  I saw no indication of rape whatsoever.  Once the other members of the tank crew came in, then it was rapey, but not till that point.

Wow, what a violent film!

It was a rape moment when the tank commander said he would take the girl in there if his bow gunner didn't. Up to that point he was like both the good and bad Sergeants from Platoon. Remember this was after executing a prisoner of war not to mention the SS officer in the town. It wasn't as bad as the squad in Casualties of War when they set out to rape but on the road march to the town the tank crew were openly talking about girls turning into a prostitute for a candy bar and the Sergeant had already pulled out eggs for the lunch, hence justifying sexual actions in payment.