Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: What A Dahl

My favorite was the snozzwanger with the elephant head, possibly because it reminded me of my inexplicable fondness for the "Find the Fish" segment in Monty Python's Meaning of Life. And I liked seeing Graham tell his model, "Great job!" after the judging. The models seem like they have a hard time on this show, and they can really help out a look.

My least favorite was the vermicious knid that was just a bunch of moss wrapped around the model. All Chloe did in the end was make some bad-looking teeth. She was correctly sent home.

Also, I've apparently been pronouncing "Roald" wrong all my life. And I will probably continue to do so.

I'm so glad they sent Chloe packing. Though not as bad as some contestants on previous seasons, she's been this year's Designated Whiner, and I was fed up with it. Oh, and I'm glad I'm not the only perv who noticed something kind of anatomical about her design!

I love how Tyler is always delighted about life in general and himself/his own work specifically, yet he manages to still come off as a nice guy. I thought I was going to hate him early on, but he's my clear favorite now.

For me, the most amazing part of this episode was how very much Lucy Dahl looks like her late mother, Patricia Neal. I thought she was charming and lovely.

I got a bit angry at the whole "None of these characters have ever been seen before!" thing because, well, just not true. The Vermicious Knid has been in various forms of media and though I do understand everyone wanting to distance themselves from the Tim Burton movie they actually have a Vermicious Knid in that movie. Granted it's still "wrong" because in the books they are aliens from the planet Vermes and they are very well described as amorphous aliens who are egg shaped when at rest but they can shift shape to even make letters at one point. They NEVER look like a cabbage vagina covered in moss though so I'm still happy that Chloe went home. The other characters aren't even from the books at all, just the movies. I apparently have strong feelings about this episode. I really liked Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator growing up. 

Wow, my whole family, one member under 16..., noted in a squirmy way how Chloe's creature was really...anatomical.  Thanks, Portia, for a descriptive but not embarrassing word for it.

I really like it when the contestants and judges thank the performers.  Sometimes the performer can really add dimension to the make-up.  The woman made up as the panoramic vision mutant was trying so hard to do something, anything, to add to the character.

Every time I see the performers interacting with the contestants I remember the naked body painting and Frank, from S1 I think, who just plopped a lampshade on his guy's head, painted his back, and then forgot to tell him when the observations were over so he could take the lampshade off and put a bathrobe on.  Jerk.  I am so glad that they make an effort to show that the performers are treated well now, and I also loved the "Great job!"

I was so glad to see Chloe finally off my tv during this episode. It seems like whenever she feels out of her comfort zone, she flounders, comes up with some half-ass idea, and overcomplicates it by spending too much time on one element.