Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E02: Week 1

They seem to be even more heavyhanded with the themes this year - Anton and Judy looked like they should have been performing a Highland fling, plus bagpipes and Mull of Kintyre? Overkill.  Not to mention Rock DJ for the DJ, and the auction routine.

Jake Wood doesn't seem to have much personality, but his dance was quite good.  I thought Anton and Judy were marked a tad harshly.  They were better than Tim.

Trent is very cute.

The cha cha chas were all rather leaden footed.

Nice to see a bit more variety than usual with the first week dances.

I really liked Simon and Jake, but I wish both had different partners. Jake looked like he needed someone stronger in ballroom. Kristina is fine as a dancer, but I can't warm to her personality. She did put together a nice routine for Simon, so I'll give her credit for that. Having a great song helped too.

Thom was disappointing. I hope he'll improve. Steve looks like he has potential. I liked Judy even though she struggled. I found her performance with Anton very sweet. I also enjoyed Tim personality for his personality. He's in good hands with Natalie. 

My first impression of Trent is that he's very cheesy. Cheesy isn't necessarily bad. I'll need time to figure out if his brand of cheesiness works for me or not. He'll be around a while with Pixie.

Frankie and Allison were both great. I thought the raves about Frankie went overboard, but I would probably have put her at the top of the leader board too. Steve looks like he has potential.

Loved seeing Tristan dance again. Saw some comments about him out dancing his partner which I don't agree with - he choreographed a proper jive (save maybe for the jig steps he threw in, which I thought was a fun nod to their heritage). It's kind of hard NOT to out-dance someone who is a complete novice, I suppose, but I thought she kept up the best she could. Looking forward to their waltz next week.

I'm only watching on YouTube and haven't watched them all yet but the other dances I enjoyed that I did see were Allison, Jake, and Caroline.

Poor Tim, I think he's hilarious and I love his charm and punny quips! I wish the judges would just say 'Look, you're a crap dancer' instead of blithering about how he's entertaining and all-heart. Self-aware edit is given far too rarely!

Poor Tim, I think he's hilarious and I love his charm and punny quips! I wish the judges would just say 'Look, you're a crap dancer' instead of blithering about how he's entertaining and all-heart. Self-aware edit is given far too rarely!

The judges have to walk a fine line on these kind of shows.  If they were to tell Tim he really was a crap dancer, BUT they enjoyed his personality, even then many viewers would get up in arms at the rudeness and keep voting him back to the detriment of dancers who could actually have improved.

It's happened on DWTS, on SYTYCD and on SCD. They've got to be subtle because backlash against their comments is a real threat. 

Edited by Anothermi
  • Love 1