Type keyword(s) to search

Dexter Roberts

• Start Topic

As has been mentioned, even by the judges... Dexter is a dime a dozen.  Go to several bars in Nashville and you'll find similar or even better singers.  I don't understand how he got into the TOP 31.  He seems like a nice guy and maybe if he sings a ballad for the 1980s Theme, he may get through.

I think he does what he does well. I like some country music. He also seems like a decent, nice guy. I know we're not voting on that per se, but it kind of sort of matters to me. I'm a doofus, but it's hard for me to root for a conceited douche and he doesn't come across that way to me, so there's that. 

As has been mentioned, even by the judges... Dexter is a dime a dozen.  Go to several bars in Nashville and you'll find similar or even better singers.  

Bingo. He's Country Generic, not Country Special.

I hate that Country as a genre often tries to make excuses for not enunciating--claiming it's stylistic.  Nope.  It's just... not being able to sing.  Mumbling and eating your words is mumbling and eating your words no matter how you label it.

• Love 1

I think it's possible that Dexter could/would have gone on to have success in country considering how the genre has degenerated the past 7 years with practically no female artists outside of Carrie, Miranda, and Taylor able to have real success, but as someone who grew up with country the way it once was, I couldn't help but despise Dexter. He seems like a nice person though, and I did prefer him to Scotty McCreery who didn't deserve to win several years ago either.

Frankly, it's hard to find many country male singers these days these days that sound any good. I believe the only one I've seen on Idol that I've halfway liked was Aaron Kelly on Simon's last season. And Casey James and Bo Bice, too, I guess, since apparently they had country albums... (although weren't what I considered country on the show, more southern rock at the most)?

Edited by TheGreenKnight

I hate that Country as a genre often tries to make excuses for not enunciating--claiming it's stylistic.  Nope.  It's just... not being able to sing.  Mumbling and eating your words is mumbling and eating your words no matter how you label it.

I usually attribute that style to crappy pop music, the kind that's all breathy. I don't know if anyone sings that way anymore, though. But I don't listen to much modern country (because I think it's mostly crap also) so I don't know what they do.

I just figure Dexter never met a consonant he liked.