Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: The Other You

• Start Topic

3CJduulNBGj7J6zwmOvzyqhWu8D.jpg

When two realities intertwine, two theories on what could and shouldn't have been are revealed.

Premiere Date: Wednesday, August 7, 2024     SyFy    10pm   

the_ark_204_sneak_peek_promo.jpg

theark2.jpg

(edited)

This alt reality episode just didn't work for me. I especially didn't buy that Garnet and Brice would be a couple in any reality. I also didn't like how Garnet's and Eva's characters changed so drastically.  (It's not like Stargate SG-1's alt reality episode where O'Neill and Carter were a married couple in another reality, but you already knew they had a mutual attraction in our reality.)

Alt reality stories give me a headache. Different circumstances can change a person's personality to an extent, but there should be a core character that stays the same in every reality (imo). 

It was nice seeing Cat again, but her being married to Trust in the alt reality was a cringe for me.

I still don't like Trust and Kelly, so 'ugh' every time they were on the screen.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, tv echo said:

Alt reality stories give me a headache. Different circumstances can change a person's personality to an extent, but there should be a core character that stays the same in every reality (imo).

Yup, I think you summed it up perfectly...that's why I wasn't digging this episode, even though I normally would find an alternate reality/universe/dimension/whatever story fun. But you're right - the fun comes in seeing how different circumstances and decisions lead to different lives...but the characters need to be recognizably themselves at their core, like you said.

Instead it seems the writers just decided to make the alt. versions of the Ark 1 crew the opposites of the ones we know. For no discernable reason. Thus, an overly-emotional, somewhat pathetic Garnet, violent cheater Angus, jaded and uneducated Alicia, selfless Trust (but still brilliant, why? shouldn't we be consistent with this whole "opposite" thing? Trust #2 should be nice but not-too-bright, right?) and a randomly British Cat (huh? okay, I checked wikipedia and the actress was born in London so I guess they just wanted to let her use her own accent even if it makes no sense, and, unlike Alicia's actress, Cat's actress was convincing with her American accent.)

Anyway....I predict that Brice in our reality was not as heroic during that Lunar incident and probably left Spencer's father to die instead of saving him. 'Cause that would be the opposite of what happened in the other reality.  And I guess Kimi's trying to dig up dirt on Brice because she suspects him of some cowardice that led to people's deaths?

Welp. It *was* nice to see Cat's actress again, at least.

P.S. If Brice and Cat switched places 'cause their characters died in eachother's realities... shouldn't we have seen other characters pop up who died in season 1? Silly me, looking for logic in all the wrong places. :P The Ark writers live in their own wacky reality.

P.P.S. Methinks it was a miscalculation to show any version of Angus & Alicia this way, if the showrunners actually want viewers shipping them and intend for them to be "endgame".  To use tv echo's example of Stargate SG-1... just imagine if that show gave us an alt. reality version of Jack who cheated on Sam, and had her punching/kicking him in response. I think it'd be pretty hard for shippers to erase that visual from their minds and continue to want the characters together....even different versions. Because we *do* expect the characters to basically be themselves in any universe.

I'm kind of waiting for Angus to show his "true colors" now. :P 'Cause surely these tendencies must be inside him, waiting to be unlocked, right? :P Luckily I'm indifferent to Angus & Alicia, but I feel sorry for their fans!

Edited by chrisrose
  • Like 1

I liked this episode, I thought the alt reality was fun, even if it didn't totally make sense. The only logical change was Alicia. If she couldn't afford school she wouldn't know everything about everything and would probably be more jaded. But the other changes seemed random. But still fun.

I thought Kelly hearing voices from the alt universe would be how the sent a signal to each other, but I guess it was just a random side story?

Have we heard about this "eastern federation" thing before? I thought the ark was built by some international coalition with all countries left on Earth, but now it sounds like there is another competing group they are at war with. Along with being at war with other arks. 

Makes no sense for Garnet's alternate to be in a menial role, when she would also be a clone created by the space program for exploration. Her physical origin can't be different from one universe to another or she wouldn't be a Sharon Garnet at all.

On 8/8/2024 at 5:49 PM, KaveDweller said:

Have we heard about this "eastern federation" thing before?

Yes, they had already mentioned being in conflict with an "Eastern Federation" last season, without details.