Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: In Treacherous Waters

• Start Topic

bbd735279923f34ac9134de204653c66b3527735

A series of explosions rocks Gotham. Batman finds himself in the middle of a turf war between rival crime bosses Rupert Thorne and the Penguin. Meanwhile, Commissioner Gordon and his daughter Barbara look for ways to fix Gotham’s corrupt Criminal Justice System from the inside.

Premiere Date: August 1, 2024   Amazon Freevee/Prime Video   

Boring and inauthentic.   It's like the writers lazily borrowed from the "noir" period when convenient but take modern liberties with other elements.

The gender switch of the Penguin makes no sense.   It's like it was done for the sole reason of being different.   The worst part is, it adds nothing to the character.   Oswalda?  Ugh.

The animation looks pretty cheap too, twenty-three skidoo.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Nacos for Rufus said:

Not bad, but it mostly just makes me miss The Animated Series.

Ditto!

I watched 9 episodes hoping this show would get better, only to be bored to tears and refused to watch anymore.

While I like most of the look of the show (like BTAS it's a retro universe of sorts) Paul Dini's talent is sorely missing here and Bruce Timm's contributions is questionable at best.  Most of the female characters are blocky (why??) instead of feminine (I know there are various body types, but it was uninspired), Catwoman was odd, Batman is barely a character in his own show (not to mention how he treats Alfred!), and the Penguin was unnecessarily gender bent because.....?

The voice work also seemed a bit dull to me.  IMO,  there had been better voice work done for these characters.

• Applause 1